SonOfTheGods

Who "Sees" the Dragon Eye?

From http://www.biroz.net/words/looking-with-lizard-eyes.htm "Looking With Lizard Eyes - Coming To Terms With Reptilian Intelligence"

"I first read about Reptilian Intelligence in ‘The Way of The Shaman’ by Michael Harner way back in the early 90s. In the opening chapter, he recounts an ayahuasca experience in which he travels to the edge of the Universe and meets some winged reptilian creatures who offer him power and control of the whole world. On recounting this to his shaman teacher, the old man chuckles and replies ‘Oh, they always say that. Take no notice of them.’

In this story can be found the seeds of the whole mandala: at the edge of the Universe, there exist reptilian creatures who tempt the seeker with great power..."

"What did they want with me? Perhaps more appropriately, what did deep archetypal animal aspects at the edge of my own humanity want with the conscious self that insists it is in control? I made several realisations over the next few weeks…"

Makes for interesting reading.

Nice! :D

What I find most interesting is the aspect of human nature which needs to assume such an experience is a fabrication of one's own conscious self despite multigenerational recurrence.

• Like 4

Exactly! Not banging my own heart against some mad bugger's wall (thank you, Roger) but watching angry adolescents do it and recognizing myself thirty years ago.

Edited by Brian

Any of you ever seen an infinitely large golden/orangey dragon? So immense that a force surrounding it feels like it's pulling you apart.. So big that you can't perceive it all at once .. Just parts of it as it moves past you, visually in slow motion, elegantly but producing a fierce incredible power from its movement.

I've seen it a few times... I can hold on during the meditation but I feel like a little rag doll being thrown around. I tried drawing in some of the power last time but I haven't seen it since.

The first time I saw the golden dragon was after the eye.. Felt my brain buzzing like it had lit up and that's when it got crazy.

• Like 1

What I find most interesting is the aspect of human nature which needs to assume such an experience is a fabrication of one's own conscious self despite multigenerational recurrence.

Maybe it's because as the layers of consciousness are pealed away (by us through our different modalities), we must go 'through' the reptilian brain which lays at the edge of our consciousness. After all, it sits within us. Maybe it needs to be acknowledged before further break-through can be made. I've never seen the fellow. But I do see a huge eye (or used to) when I would start my meditation.

Maybe he's close to the membrane at the outer realm of consciousness that gets discussed on these threads - or maybe he's on the other side.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

Usually, I see palatable dishes, ice cream, spaghetti and sometimes vulvas and beautiful women :unsure:

As a zen-oriented practitioner, I regard those things as insignificant hallucinations.

To cling, to look for meanings and explanations, to imagine angelic beings and bodhisattvas descending from the sky... All would be a serious damage to the Shen and Jing.

Usually, I see palatable dishes, ice cream, spaghetti and sometimes vulvas and beautiful women :unsure:

As a zen-oriented practitioner, I regard those things as insignificant hallucinations.

To cling, to look for meanings and explanations, to imagine angelic beings and bodhisattvas descending from the sky... All would be a serious damage to the Shen and Jing.

Hallucinations are funny things. Did you know that when people smoke DMT, almost all of them experience journeying to a similar place inhabited with elfish creatures?

Perhaps no more significant than the hallucinations you have when you meditate, but I find it curious and fascinating that they all experience basically the same thing.

• Like 1

People can and have been influenced in positive ways from visions and beings. I don't see why this equates to damaged Shen and Jing unless you become obsessed with that realm to the detriment of your physical life.

There's also countless examples of people being changed for the better after undergoing ayuhasca or ibogaine ceremonies for example which contain many visions and are laced with meaning.

• Like 1

Any of you ever seen an infinitely large golden/orangey dragon? So immense that a force surrounding it feels like it's pulling you apart.. So big that you can't perceive it all at once .. Just parts of it as it moves past you, visually in slow motion, elegantly but producing a fierce incredible power from its movement.

I've seen it a few times... I can hold on during the meditation but I feel like a little rag doll being thrown around. I tried drawing in some of the power last time but I haven't seen it since.

The first time I saw the golden dragon was after the eye.. Felt my brain buzzing like it had lit up and that's when it got crazy.

LDT :D

That's it, joeblast. Well, remarkably close to what I "see," anyhow, And I see it head-on rather than from an oblique angle.

• Like 2

People can and have been influenced in positive ways from visions and beings. I don't see why this equates to damaged Shen and Jing unless you become obsessed with that realm to the detriment of your physical life.

Shen is damaged by excessive mental speculation and wondering like this "Oh! I've seen JC climbing the rainbow on a golden pony! This is really special, I'm a super-practitioner! What is the meaning of such a vision?".

Jing is damaged since it is connected with Shen: when the shen is dissipated, the essence decreases.

There's also countless examples of people being changed for the better after undergoing ayuhasca or ibogaine ceremonies for example which contain many visions and are laced with meaning.

Taking plants is something different: it's like paying a visit to a spirit for a specific purpose.

When you meditate and experience a spontaneous vision, it may be your consciousness that assumed that particular shape or a low-level spirit of the thousands million that roam in modern cities.

In either cases, it's better to ignore the experience and go on.

In any case, meditation doesn't equate shamanic trance states.

• Like 1

Shen is damaged by excessive mental speculation and wondering like this "Oh! I've seen JC climbing the rainbow on a golden pony! This is really special, I'm a super-practitioner! What is the meaning of such a vision?".

Jing is damaged since it is connected with Shen: when the shen is dissipated, the essence decreases.

Taking plants is something different: it's like paying a visit to a spirit for a specific purpose.

When you meditate and experience a spontaneous vision, it may be your consciousness that assumed that particular shape or a low-level spirit of the thousands million that roam in modern cities.

I get a sense of what you're saying here and I agree that meditation and shamanic trance are not usually the same, but there have been realizations that have opened to me: vajra moments in meditation and in non-meditative daily life, that involved a visual element, that served to release blockage and bondage within my expression of self.

• Like 1

I get a sense of what you're saying here and I agree that meditation and shamanic trance are not usually the same,

There's:

• Beta
  • Alpha
  • Theta
  • Delta
  • Gamma

You people have "other ones" that I am not aware of?? :ph34r:

• Like 1

I agree...however, what else can you really do when these visions appear? You really can't do anything but to go on with your life, whatever it is.

I've seen reptile eye in meditation - but its rare. Also I had a dream, I was running down a road - the road where I went to school - and the road was full of snakes. I was jumping up and down and running down the hill so as to not land on the snakes. At the bottom of the road, the road curved in semi cycle twice - it does in real life, close to an old ruined mill. Around the bottom of the last curve was a huge lizard in the middle of the road which hissed at me, not allowing me to pass. I awoke due to fear. The dream always puzzled me, and now it makes sense if this lizard was the king of serpents. Energy was streaming up my back when I awoke. It was the only time I had such a dream. The significance of it I have no idea. Have a nice weekend everyone :).

• Like 1

There's:

• Beta
  • Alpha
  • Theta
  • Delta
  • Gamma

You people have "other ones" that I am not aware of?? :ph34r:

I've never heard of a spiritual tradition that classify the various states in that way: it's like pretending to measure weight by the colors that appear on the face of the weight-lifter.

Matthias-Steiner-weightlift-fail.gif

Really... there's nothing similar to that classification in authentic spiritual tradition because it's just scientific experimental language.

You cannot really differentiate samadhi from vipassana in that classification, for example.

Your comparison isn't quite the same. Colours of weights are just a classification to make the weights easily identifiable and have no direct relation to the properties of the weight. Whereas brainwaves on the other hand are very much part of the brains functioning. The labels we give them are to classify type, but ultimately they are the weight itself rather than just a label.

What SOTG is saying is that the brain can be manipulated both internally and externally, through self control as well as other substances. Chemicals in the brain determine our behaviours and thoughts.

However, such external tools hold you back. Chemicals like dmt have complete control over your experience leaving you a mere spectator.

The drug label has been successful at demonising certain plants. But we use plants in most aspects of our lives... I believe that they have their uses on the spiritual path, although it should never be long term and one should seek to reach a fully self controlled state ASAP.

• Like 1