Bum Grasshopper

Jesus a fictional character?

Before this returns to the pit
I respectfully disagree with all of that. I've posted my view and interpretation on it before...not sure where bit they're on here. :)

If the criteria of valid religion is third party mystical experience, you can't beat Buddhadharma. Just read "Blazing Splendor", "Apparitions of the Self", "Togden Shakya Shri" or any biography of any terton.
I respect your opinion on the matter. One of these days when I am "full" with my own Doctrine I will certainly pick up one of those books.

Alwayson both Buddha and Jesus Christ love you. They also love each other too. Just say "Go away!" to Satan. You are a good man.

please stop.

• Like 1

Real or not...

I cannot be comforted by the idea at the heart of christianity that another being must suffer to atone for my misdoings.

Suffer(Ed). It's complete and finished :)

Alwayson both Buddha and Jesus Christ love you. They also love each other too. Just say "Go away!" to Satan. You are a good man.

If you don't love Satan then your love is incomplete and not infinite, not absolute Bodhicitta.

Ever heard the saying "what resists persists"?, saying go away to Satan is one of the best ways to keep its influence in your life

• Like 2

Two scriptures have been continually returning as I let this topic rattle around in my thought space.

One is in luke I think it's 17: 20-21 where the pharisees demand to know where is the kingdom of god and christ replies. don't look for it here or there, it is within you.

and I believe the other is in mark where christ talks about 'when thine eye be single thy whole body shall be full of light'.

Both I think get to the heart of this matter for me, in that; the experience of christ consciousness is not an external force, it is an intrinsic part of your essence.

Real and not real debates all take place in the mind realm and are steeped in duality.

The experience is beyond this and when trying to explain an experience beyond words with words, the result is... well much of this thread. Harsh judgement and defensive posturing to protect mind forms that are entirely personal.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

If you don't love Satan then your love is incomplete and not infinite, not absolute Bodhicitta.

Ever heard the saying "what resists persists"?, saying go away to Satan is one of the best ways to keep its influence in your life

I agree with your love statement but do not agree with the other.

Is that your dog? LOL, I just noticed and he is cheesin in that pic! Brightened my day.

There are 2 jesus' (jesi ?)

One from the bible

One that is gnostic

The historical jesus, is a composite of these 2.

& neither one can be proven

Edited by SonOfTheGods

There are 2 jesus' (jesi ?)

One from the bible

One that is gnostic

The historical jesus, is a composite of these 2.

& neither one can be proven

Thus ending the debate.

SoTGs 1 TTB 0 While I disagree with you and say that Jesus Christ IS I cannot prove it. My case, presented in a court of law would lose...horribly so...laughed out of court....tomatoes thrown...it'd be bad...probably go viral though...then my book would sell! Making me a New York Bestseller! It'd be titled Jesus is Real! Therefore in the end it would be known that Jesus IS REAl!!! muahahahahahahahah....For those who don't understand, the above was simply my poor attempt at this thing called "Humor".

• Like 2

I have felt the pouring of what I thought of as honey over my crown. Not in relation to chistianity or church..

I don't usually talk about my experiences, but I will make an exception here. I have had a similar experience in a completely Daoist context. Golden Light I might have expected, but to have it pouring down in a thick consistency like honey, no, I didn't expect that at all.

• Like 2

Please split the thread, Protector

It's a good idea, I swear

:lol:

It's worked so far - don't knock it.

Would you suffer to help lighten the load of your beloved?

I think this is a Buddhist practice, also. Tonglen

Always strive to be supportive of loved ones and strangers, but as a precursor to salvation and as a soul means to avoid damnation, na. Suffering by extension does not relieve suffering.

• Like 1

The idea is that you take the suffering of the other, in their stead.

I've pursued that in the case of my wife's depression for some twenty years.

While it's aided me in understanding her position and not judging her, the real benefit has come from her own pursuit of buddhism and her intricate study of the source of her ails as they arise in her mind.

I'll look into Tonglen with more intent though. There's bound to be some fuel there.

Real or not...

I cannot be comforted by the idea at the heart of christianity that another being must suffer to atone for my misdoings.

I don't think this modern Christian doctrine is in line with Jesus' teaching. There's a pretty clear verse on it, in Jesus' own words...

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ - Matthew 7:21-23 NIV

And then in the Old Testament of all places, it says...

"For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,

and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." - Hosea 6:6 NIV

Mercy in my view is a big key to the real Christian path.

"Blessed are the merciful,

for they will be shown mercy." - Matthew 5:7 NIV

"For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matthew 6:14-15 NIV

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - Matthew 7:1-2 NIV

I don't actually know whether the crucifixion played a major role in wiping away the sins of the world, or if accepting Jesus into your heart erases your sins. I'm sure a heart opening and connection to Jesus can make it feel like it does...but at least personally, I choose to view the Christian path as being one of personal transformation and striving for the highest ideals. Being a good person/doing the will of God. It's important to read the Bible often in order to discern what's actually taught, versus what the modern church and believers preach...it's not so far off, but I think there are differences.
  • Like 1

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward. And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.

- Matthew, Ch. 10:32-10:42

Jesus is alive and more than well.

PHD's (of any kind) are more or less meaningless for qualification to know whether or not Jesus existed.

When or if you meet Him then you will know, until then all is speculation of one sort or another. (and imo should be of an agnostic type speculation at that if one really wants to claim a "reasonable" position)

Om

• Like 1

I'll look into Tonglen with more intent though. There's bound to be some fuel there.

Its not actually suffering in another's stead, but its a great practice. I do it all the time and there is no suffering on my part. On the contrary it generates compassion and kindness, which feel great.

• Like 1

The mainstream view of scholarship is that Jesus was just a Jewish preacher.

A normal human. Not God.

That's the mainstream view in my understanding.

Edited by alwayson