There are dark, sinister voices in my head. They are beginning to annoy me. Ever since my 16th birthday, they've been especially loud and annoying. Is there a meditation or something i can do to get rid of the voices? They don't sound as though they are my own voices. They feel like something creeped into my head and keeps whispering into my brain. Please help me get rid of them.

Well you should probably get an MRI scan or something to be safe.

Aside from that, try http://thetaobums.com/topic/25763-zhunti-mantra/ and something like tonglen or metta meditation.

Also read a lot of good stuff - heart sutra, metta sutra, diamond sutra, platform sutra, Tao te ching, analects of Confucius, etc.

When things improve, get 'The Attention Revolution' by Alan Wallace and practice it.

Edited by Seeker of the Self

Hi Lindelani,

I think it would be worth seeking out a professional medical opinion on this. You could either go to a general practitioner to begin with or, if possible, a psychiatrist. A doctor will ask other questions to get an idea of what's going on with you, and possibly order tests to make sure nothing is going amiss organically with your brain.

Of course, you're not obligated to do what any given doctor says. Think of them more as expert advisors, and educate yourself. A medical professional would be able to get more of a sense of what's going on for you and, hopefully, rule out anything serious.

Are you living with family? If you're comfortable talking to them about it, perhaps they could help you arrange going to a doctor. Another possibility if you're going to school is to check it out with the medical person there. Most schools have a nurse you could talk to, and that would get you started.

Getting information, and possibly treatment, from medical professionals is an important part of taking care of yourself--something we all need to do.

Good luck!

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

Get multiple opinions, of course. An alternative to seeing a psychologist/doctor would be to request a healing from a qualified master. Perhaps someone like Jenny Lamb, Chunyi Lin, or someone like that? I'm no expert, but your problem sounds like something energetic. Then again, I've been called a flake...

http://www.easterninternalarts.org/#

(Check out her testimonials)

http://www.springforestqigong.com/

Keep an open mind. Hope you find good help!

When I'm low on power(DON'T JUDGE!) I also hear some voices when I'm trying to empty my mind and only then. It's a pain, you try to empty the mind but the voices just jump in there and ruin everything, if you shift your focus they start to make up words. They kinda stay in the background for me but when I put them in the spotlight, they disappear. I've been putting them so many times in the spotlight that I can just empty my mind on demand. Whenever you hear one, try to focus on it but instead of listening try to make it use up all the energy, kinda like, OK SAY IT! SAY IT! Hope it helps

I was pondering this kind of thing the other day. I wonder if it's just another version of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia ?

In meditation, I've become very aware of the trains of thought (some of them freight!) in my mind. They don't have a 'sound' per se but I can imagine why for some people they might. It would be neurological, seen from that angle. I'd defnitely suggest going to see a neurologist.

I think the "attention' suggestion is a good one. It probably can reduce/remove things all by itself.

I don't know enough about the other angles (the energetic stuff is a different way of going about it IMO but I don't know if it would 'fit' with what would need to happen for things to resolve.)

I agree with Liminal Luke, taking care of yourself is important. Jing-chi-shen goes both ways (I reckon)

Edit: I came across this the other day re the jing-chi-shen thing. The directions do seem to be important and TCM has apparently jumped on the original direction http://www.classicalchinesemedicine.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/fruehauf_alldisease.pdf

Edit 2: I also have to say that at some earlier point during the process and still sometimes, I was occasionally hearing actual sounds (see the 'thud' in the other thread). It might be a question of 'this too shall pass' but good idea to get things checked out on the 'organic' level.

These thoughts are yours.

Once you take responsibility for them, you will have the ability to gain power over them.

You start to gain power over the thoughts, when you stop believing them.

Fighting these thoughts with more thoughts is not the way. Surrendering to the thoughts and knowing they're false is.

-in my experience

• Like 1

these voices are your own! they are a culmination of all your fear worry and doubt! instead of realizing this you ignored them and created somthing "else" !! what ever happened to you in your past that you are hiding from yourself, you should remember it and come to terms with it instead of letting it destroy your sanity. send me a pm if you need further instruction.

"These thoughts are yours."

Hmm. I reckon it might be worth getting more into that. I'd personally equate 'mine' with something original, 'of myself', otherwise I'm just reiterating someone else's thoughts. I reckon that happens quite often.

I do think it's quite difficult to admit that one's thoughts are not actually one's own. Me - I have a very 'reflective'/pick up throw at the wall, see what sticks thing going on. Apart from that, I'm pretty incredibly naive. It's horrible to admit.

--2cts--

I agree with K it seems one gets certain clever voices for example next to trees, or asking certain questions, or in certain environments. I havent got the hang of that though.

Ive never had "dark voices" per se, actually to be fair If I did a few hours of spontaneous movements and then start listening to gangster rap for example it brings out very dark kind of poetry, not bad dark just owning my power kind of dark but also angry. Although I havent done this in a while.

I think its somewhat related to energy and mood, a lot of people suggest raising your vibration. Love, prayer, laughing, smiling, music, kindness, shaking medicine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shaking-Medicine-Healing-Ecstatic-Movement/dp/1594771499

I am no expert on this but I am admittedly a little biased on "proffesional help" proffesional according to who? Personally I think its very often a case of businessmen helping you, giving you useless pills with side effects and locking you in a mental hospital which employs people and earn lots of people money. Other than my own bias I would say someone that deals with entity removal may help in such things.

Although I guess others are right it could be very much your own voices but you know if thats truly the case, peace.

"You should not undertake the study of mediumship if you abuse addictive drugs or alcohol, or if you are involved in activities that are harmful to other people, or if you are suffering from emotional or mental illnesses. You should only undertake the study of mediumship if your intention is to act in the service of God and humankind. You should understand that the purpose of psychic development is to advance the spiritual development of yourself and others. Like attracts like, and any type of selfish behavior or selfish motivation for gain or renown you have in learning to communicate with spirits will attract spirits that are also selfish. You can never gain any benefit to yourself by interacting with selfish spirits. Such spirits may promise you some benefit, but being selfish, they will not deliver on their promise though they will use you for their own purposes which may leave you permanently under their influence doing things that are harmful to yourself and other people."

But what merceless one, idiot stimpy have mentioned is true as well because if you think "it is my thought" then you identify, and take it seriously and become attached, instead of just "a thought"

Well Gerard, nothing big, just meditation, simply meditation...i think I'll speak to the Dr @ school first. I wouldnt want to alarm my parents for nothing. I guess I never thought of it like that, they just feel so foreign and are always contrast to my morals and values...I'd even go so far as to say the devil is whispering in my ear

• Like 1

Well Gerard, nothing big, just meditation, simply meditation...i think I'll speak to the Dr @ school first. I wouldnt want to alarm my parents for nothing. I guess I never thought of it like that, they just feel so foreign and are always contrast to my morals and values...I'd even go so far as to say the devil is whispering in my ear

Is this a "different" voice talking in your head or simply thoughts that appear seemingly out of no where and are completely antithetical to who you are as a person?

These are two different things.

Guest pix58

Seriously I would suggest both a medical check first and also find yourself a true Chi Master who would be able to sense/see and get rid of any dark energies if they are present. To help yourself you could try and consciously push these voices away, rejecting them. Are there other experiences that you have had? if so posting them would help to fill in the picture.

I guess I never thought of it like that, they just feel so foreign and are always contrast to my morals and values...I'd even go so far as to say the devil is whispering in my ear

Hi Lindelani,

I can imagine how the voices would be annoying or upsetting, especially since they are, as you say, in contrast to your own morals and values. Please be gentle with yourself. We all have thoughts and impulses to do and say things that, in real life, we'd never actually do or say. Some of us have voices that say things that are contrary to things we'd do or say in real life too. The important thing to remember is that whatever the voices say is no reflection on who you are as a person. It might seem like the voices are the devil, but that does not, in any way, make YOU a bad person.

Having voices in your head is a symptom, like any other, that something is going on for you. Think of it like any symptom such as a cough. If you had a really bad cough that didn't go away you'd go to the doctor and see if your lungs were ok. Having a cough doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you a human being with a body that isn't perfect, just the same as all the other human beings on the planet who also have imperfect bodies. I think your plan to talk to the doctor at school is a great one.

Hope you find out everything is fine and that the voices get better very soon.

Take care,

Liminal

• Like 1

Are you taking anti-depressant medication or any other kinds of drugs?

Would you say what the voices are telling you could stem from a desire to rebel and fight against moral beliefs or anything, or is it more pure malice and the enjoyment of it? I'd consider the content of the message part of clues that are valuable for a diagnosis.

Edited by Owledge

accept that they might never go away and they might.

know that they are just thoughts and your actions make up your personality, not thoughts.

forgive yourself and others for all wrongdoings.

Edited by Flolfolil
  • Like 1

I have crital harsh voices in my head, in a sense they are mine, in another sense they are my father's, or rather they are introjects into my mind of parental figures. Struggle with them and you strengthen them, if you repress them then you can also strengthen them, so the other option is to just be mindful of them and don't act on them.

• Like 1

I have crital harsh voices in my head, in a sense they are mine, in another sense they are my father's, or rather they are introjects into my mind of parental figures. Struggle with them and you strengthen them, if you repress them then you can also strengthen them, so the other option is to just be mindful of them and don't act on them.

Very true. I wonder if we all suffer at times from dark voices? Daydreams that stream through our minds fueled by our anxieties and pop media we've seen, countless hours of TV and movie violence, we thought we'd left behind but lurk in our subconscious whispering stories like old radio stations into our minds.

Our minds can be so noisy we don't notice them, but once we start quieting our mind these stations become louder and clearer. If this is the case with you then Jetsun's right. Identify them as 'silly dark thoughts' and let them go by, neither repressing or feeding them.

• Like 1

All good advice given so far but what follows might not be. Don't be frightened, have a sense of humour (but don't be disrespectful), laugh at any outrageous suggestions saying they're having a laugh and taking the piss. State the reasons why.

Or you could just ignore them:

http://www.erikbohlin.net/logismoi.htm

Seriously I would suggest both a medical check first and also find yourself a true Chi Master who would be able to sense/see and get rid of any dark energies if they are present. To help yourself you could try and consciously push these voices away, rejecting them. Are there other experiences that you have had? if so posting them would help to fill in the picture.

What type of experiences do you mean?