mantis

Depression

Just had a flashback.

Remembered just how much I hated theory classes back in nursing school.

Nursing school messes up your synapses.

• Like 2

im sorry im not reading that lol thats like 5 pages of scientific jargon kind of reminds me of five pages of legal jargon on agreements that no one reads cos they cant understand it

• Like 2

In a nutshell it says acid fecks up yer synapses but they get paid by the word.

More words = fatter fee.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

In a nutshell it says acid fecks up yer synapses but they get paid by the word.

More words = fatter fee.

This is how LSD messes up your synapses. By writing articles about it that are paid by the word. Makes you all greedy and probably delusional, believing you get paid for good work and confusing quality with quantity.

Seriously ... you just pointed out what really messes people up.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

How would you approach this subject from a healing point of view? Can ayahuasca help?

Hey Mantis,

Been thinking about this for a few days.

I've no experience with ayahuasca.

How to heal depression ... loving kindness meditation comes to mind, but I like that for a lot of reasons.

Also it seem that a lot of us feel depressed? I know I have/do and probably will in the future too. I can't say I know why or how to fix it. I just don't think "normal" socity is particually "healthy" and as we move along our path it just seem to become more and more obvious ...

Anyhow just read this on facebook from a writer known for his advocacy of psychedelic drugs, perhaps it will give solace.

“Admit it. You aren’t like them. You’re not even close.

You may occasionally dress yourself up as one of them, watch the same mindless television shows as they do, maybe even eat the same fast food sometimes. But it seems that the more you try to fit in, the more you feel like an outsider, watching the “normal people” as they go about their automatic existences.

For every time you say club passwords like “Have a nice day” and “Weather’s awful today, eh?”, you yearn inside to say forbidden things like “Tell me something that makes you cry” or “What do you think deja vu is for?”.

Face it, you even want to talk to that girl in the elevator. But what if that girl in the elevator (and the balding man who walks past your cubicle at work) are thinking the same thing? Who knows what you might learn from taking a chance on conversation with a stranger?

Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle.

Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence.

Trust your instincts.

Do the unexpected.

Find the others…”

~ Timothy Leary

• Like 1

Edited by sinansencer

Depression is something that should be embraced, not suppressed like psychologists medications that they want to induce you with.

Like a poster have said the best recommendation is to spend as much time as you can out in nature whether it be the ocean, forest, or just going out to park would be nice. Get fresh air and just let go of your thoughts. You don't own your thoughts. be aware of whats going on in your thoughts, and let the negative ones subside. Don't fight it or suppress it...just let them be..and then you will realize your ego is nothing but a facade....

• Like 1

I am also curious as to this claim mess up your synapse.

The synapse is a connection between two nerve cells. Don't you think that the nerves would be damaged other than the synapse....???

• Like 1

White wolf I would like to think I am open minded to that article however if I am honesty there is some resistance to that article.

1) It seems like propoganda.

2)Many spiritual people who have to live in a capitalist society will likely be finding it difficult, most native tribes who had to change their lifestyle become drug dependent etc because there way of life is ruined and they cant fit in.

3) There are people here like Recep Ivedik and E.T thoughts I actually consider mentally ill, psychotic. Yet mental hospitals would consider them as normal because religion is accepted.

4.) People who are likely to have waken up are also likely to have gone through much suffering..

5) Also I am curious what is their suggested cure..religion (are they trying to say one cant be spiritual if not religious aka justifying beliefs) their pharmaceutical pills they get paid for.

6) Writers write loads of rubbish to sell papers, as one person commented, everyone is considered to be more under stress than others..

hmm nothig personal, I just find the article is invoking some kind of reaction in me.

Edited by sinansencer

Same here.

"The researchers concluded: "We conclude that there is increasing evidence that people who profess spiritual beliefs in the absence of a religious framework are more vulnerable to mental disorder."

As usual, quick to make up their mind about the cause-effect relation. Amateur mistake.

I've heard that most shamans have diabetes. I guess those researchers would conclude that shamanic practices cause diabetes.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 2

Interesting, the base-line for normal is still amongst the population that obtain their spiritual beliefs from the context of religeon, so those ideas can be absolutely irrational, but they are considered normal.

Do Shaman usually come from ethnic groups that carry genes predisposing them to diabetes? Cross-cultural ethnobotany is growing as a field of study, but for the great length of anthropological study, the learned scholars studied from outside of the circle as an observer, not from inside as student or practicioner.

• Like 1

Certainly, if one is 'switching' from a view of the world as being ruled by a bearded man with a demi-god son born of a virgin to a view where that doesn't hold sway, I suspect many many aspects of a person's very structure may be changed as a result. Not least of all with respects to 'god-instituted' social structures which may be where the real idea about 'crazy' is working its magic. Think the DSM (4 or 5) actually lends itself to curing people with mental illness? Think again.

---opinion etc---

• Like 1

White wolf I would like to think I am open minded to that article however if I am honesty there is some resistance to that article.

1) It seems like propoganda.

2)Many spiritual people who have to live in a capitalist society will likely be finding it difficult, most native tribes who had to change their lifestyle become drug dependent etc because there way of life is ruined and they cant fit in.

3) There are people here like Recep Ivedik and E.T thoughts I actually consider mentally ill, psychotic. Yet mental hospitals would consider them as normal because religion is accepted.

4.) People who are likely to have waken up are also likely to have gone through much suffering..

5) Also I am curious what is their suggested cure..religion (are they trying to say one cant be spiritual if not religious aka justifying beliefs) their pharmaceutical pills they get paid for.

6) Writers write loads of rubbish to sell papers, as one person commented, everyone is considered to be more under stress than others..

hmm nothig personal, I just find the article is invoking some kind of reaction in me.

I posted the link to see what others think of it.

Personally I view every human being unique and complex. A 'religious' person can have issues and suffer from depression, so can a 'spiritual' person and so can a person who isn't 'spiritual' or 'religious'.

Even when they do refer to a 'spiritual' person, that word has so many different meanings for so many people different people and they don't refer to a specific path.

When I first read it, to be honest it seemed a little insulting but I overcame that.

• Like 1

I kind of tie this into Malik's post above .. mental discipline can come from more than one source, but for me (personal experience caution) it came from studying the way to freedom, a core teaching of tibetan buddhism. The author is one that, I would agree with him, inconsequential; it is what he was taught, and he passed on from that teaching that is important.

Old stuff, translated to english. As english is my next best language, it works for me. Individual results may vary, of course.

Dio.

But I'm Christian'ish and yet to have read that, so I read 'Right and wrong thinking.' By Hagin, I think. Also 'Battle field of the mind.' By Joyce Myers.

I had some what of a personal insight to depression during meditation today. After sitting in mindfulness for a while I became aware of the feeling of depression. So I watched it for a while. The next thing I became aware of was that it seemed that underneath or beyond what I label "depression" or a depressing feeling was a specific inner dialogue. I saw / heard two sides of my subconscious talking to each other. One side was very critical, the other side was the side getting bummed out by being criticized. The next thing I became aware of was this very tight knotted feeling in my solar plexus area, specifically the left side of it going under my lower rib cage. I realized that these feelings were emanating from this area and that it was always tight there and usually I just didn't pay much attention to it. As I kept simply observing it for a while it seemed to lighten up quite a bit, and some of that tightness seemed to loosen up and turn into this "buzzing" feeling lol.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2013 at 8:42 PM, dmattwads said:

I had some what of a personal insight to depression during meditation today. After sitting in mindfulness for a while I became aware of the feeling of depression. So I watched it for a while. The next thing I became aware of was that it seemed that underneath or beyond what I label "depression" or a depressing feeling was a specific inner dialogue. I saw / heard two sides of my subconscious talking to each other. One side was very critical, the other side was the side getting bummed out by being criticized. The next thing I became aware of was this very tight knotted feeling in my solar plexus area, specifically the left side of it going under my lower rib cage. I realized that these feelings were emanating from this area and that it was always tight there and usually I just didn't pay much attention to it. As I kept simply observing it for a while it seemed to lighten up quite a bit, and some of that tightness seemed to loosen up and turn into this "buzzing" feeling lol.

This is what it sounds like when Shens cry.

Depression is a message that your life isn't how its supposed to be so do something to change it. People misread the signal as "Hey Doc, give me some pills that don't really do a thing beyond distracting me as your attention is the most healing aspect of all of this" or going to bleat to a shrink who is actually more messed up than you are. They just have more paperwork to disguise it and, occasionally, some cool parlor tricks to keep you amused.

Take the most depressed person in the world and give them £50 million. Watch how quickly their "depression" evaporates because the money represents the potential to change and thats all they needed in the first place. Thing is they weren't creative enough to think of a solution without the paper but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Seeking said:

This is what it sounds like when Shens cry.

Take the most depressed person in the world and give them £50 million. Watch how quickly their "depression" evaporates because the money represents the potential to change and thats all they needed in the first place. Thing is they weren't creative enough to think of a solution without the paper but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

So wealthy peeps are immune to depression?

I beg to differ.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, natural said:

So wealthy peeps are immune to depression?

I beg to differ.

I didn't say that but you are free to rattle your begging cup as noisily as you wish.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking said:

I didn't say that but you are free to rattle your begging cup as noisily as you wish.

This is a depressing response.  Fifty million euros would likely cheer me up, at least for the afternoon, but civility would be the more fitting solution (though arguably harder to come by.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

This is a depressing response.  Fifty million euros would likely cheer me up, at least for the afternoon, but civility would be the more fitting solution (though arguably harder to come by.)

*strokes beard* *looks thoughtful* *takes notes*

"Yes, I see... And why did it make you feel that way?"

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Seeking said:

Depression is a message that your life isn't how its supposed to be so do something to change it. People misread the signal as "Hey Doc, give me some pills that don't really do a thing beyond distracting me as your attention is the most healing aspect of all of this" or going to bleat to a shrink who is actually more messed up than you are. They just have more paperwork to disguise it and, occasionally, some cool parlor tricks to keep you amused.

No two people will take the same path recovering from depression.  It's not a simple illness with a one-size-fits-all solution.  Some might well benefit from doing as you suggest Seeking: taking the depression as a signal that something is going wrong in life and fixing it.  Others will need pharmaceutical help or therapy, often both.  We do a disservice to those suffering with this difficult disease when we imply that the way out is obvious or easy.

• Thanks 2