mantis

Depression

1 minute ago, Seeking said:

*strokes beard* *looks thoughtful* *takes notes*

"Yes, I see... And why did it make you feel that way?"

It was just a passing feeling.  When the feeling passed, I edited my post.  

14 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

No two people will take the same path recovering from depression.  It's not a simple illness with a one-size-fits-all solution.  Some might well benefit from doing as you suggest Seeking: taking the depression as a signal that something is going wrong in life and fixing it.  Others will need pharmaceutical help or therapy, often both.  We do a disservice to those suffering with this difficult disease when we imply that the way out is obvious or easy.

Once again, I didn't say that it was. What I did say was that the chemical imbalance theory is a complete scam to foist pills at a profit and that the various talk modalities range from totally useless to actually dangerous. For most people depression is caused by a lack of options which makes them feel powerless. The bodymind creates this state of malaise to motivate the person to get off their bottom and go and do something about it, change it aka create options. The money in this situation would make the average factory worker laid off with depression forget about all of that in an instant as he'd have a much wider focus.

Thing is he doesn't need the money to open his mind but for most people they need external strength to offset their internal weakness and that was the whole point of this rather flippant example that I've now drilled to death by decimating it to clarify it for you.

Idiots guide = Depression is due to feelings of powerlessness as an effect of continually narrowing options that seemingly get worse and worse. People misread the cue and other people makes lots of money out of it.

13 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

It was just a passing feeling.  When the feeling passed, I edited my post.  

I see *takes notes* *scratches beard* *adjusts tampon* So what you're saying is that these feelings, they come and go, correct? And when new ones come you wish to revise the previous perspective, yes? Interesting. How does that make you feel? Did you always feel that way? What do you think this means?

27 minutes ago, Seeking said:

I see *takes notes* *scratches beard* *adjusts tampon* So what you're saying is that these feelings, they come and go, correct? And when new ones come you wish to revise the previous perspective, yes? Interesting. How does that make you feel? Did you always feel that way? What do you think this means?

You are are holding yourself as an expert, what is so obvious to you and not to us?

Scratching beard or otherwise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking said:

MODERATOR NOTE: What you did, by editing another member’s post in a quote is grounds for suspension from this forum. The moderator team will be responding to this after discussion, but please never do that again. And please do introspect on why we don’t allow such things. 

• Thanks 5

Can we all take a moment to recognize and respect cues whenever someone is attempting to draw boundaries please?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Seeking said:

Idiots guide = Depression is 

...    Always more complex than what can be included in a one-liner. Simplify it = avoiding looking at the whole picture. 

That kind of simplification usually comes with an agenda... 

Or a soap box 📦 

Edited by Cleansox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I suffer from bi polar schizophrenia.  I have manic psychosis highs followed by depressing lows.  I've spent years laying in bed in depression or psychosis.  I used to be able to change my thinking to uplifting positive thoughts but no more; my mind is broken.  Sometimes its as easy as that though, for it is what used to work for my depression.  I don't take anti-depressants but I think I should get on some, though being awake is a chore for me, I find that I don't have anything to do.  I can't think and I don't like to watch television and I can't read for fear that my thoughts will get out of hand.  I'm getting accustomed to this state though, scary enough as it is to get accustomed to nothingness.  

19 minutes ago, helpfuldemon said:

I suffer from bi polar schizophrenia.  I have manic psychosis highs followed by depressing lows.  I've spent years laying in bed in depression or psychosis.  I used to be able to change my thinking to uplifting positive thoughts but no more; my mind is broken.  Sometimes its as easy as that though, for it is what used to work for my depression.  I don't take anti-depressants but I think I should get on some, though being awake is a chore for me, I find that I don't have anything to do.  I can't think and I don't like to watch television and I can't read for fear that my thoughts will get out of hand.  I'm getting accustomed to this state though, scary enough as it is to get accustomed to nothingness.  

Perhaps it may be a better idea to get professional help rather than going on spiritual forums and playing with energy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Perhaps it may be a better idea to get professional help rather than going on spiritual forums and playing with energy.

Theory and praxis. Before, but much more so recently, psychological help is highly sought after.

2 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

Part of your mental state sounds like what I had and to a fluctuating degree still have, too. I can give you something worthwhile to do.

How is your diet? Because in a time of particular weakness we might worsen our diet and then that troubles the psyche and it's a vicious cycle.

Being well-educated about the basics of healthy diet, which often is the opposite of what the sheeple is being told, is invaluable and can empower you at the root.

Back then I learned a lot from this channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DrEricBergDC

And while the guy still requires some skepticism about details where he might not be very accurate, the basics of his approach are very valuable.

I can give you more details and summaries about what I did, but maybe check the channel out first and if you have questions then, you can ask me again.

Regarding antidepressants, they can also cause problems, and extreme measures might actually still be an expression of the problem. I take 1000 mg St. John's Wort twice a day and I seem to be noticing an effect, which is also scientifically sound, so having that as a long-term baseline is not a bad idea.

Take good stuff, avoid bad stuff, identify deficiencies. Don't carb/sugar-binge.

Psychologically, practice techniques for not letting your boredom/lack of purpose drag you down. Bluntly and broadly speaking, it stems from society's hamsterwheel dictating we have to be useful and productive, but what we actually have to be is happy, serene, carry some inner calm. Appreciate the immense value of slacking when your body tells you through feelings that it is the right thing to do at the time. It is the mind that makes stress about that, but those are usually 'implants' by society trying to recruit you into other people's managed unhappiness so that the contrast doesn't disturb them so much. - There is a lot of societal gaslighting going on where well-spirited people are conned into thinking they aren't contributing enough while those that do the conning are actually the ones who go the selfishly convenient way and maybe overall even make things worse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Owledge said:

Theory and praxis. Before, but much more so recently, psychological help is highly sought after.

Part of your mental state sounds like what I had and to a fluctuating degree still have, too. I can give you something worthwhile to do.

How is your diet? Because in a time of particular weakness we might worsen our diet and then that troubles the psyche and it's a vicious cycle.

Being well-educated about the basics of healthy diet, which often is the opposite of what the sheeple is being told, is invaluable and can empower you at the root.

Back then I learned a lot from this channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DrEricBergDC

And while the guy still requires some skepticism about details where he might not be very accurate, the basics of his approach are very valuable.

I can give you more details and summaries about what I did, but maybe check the channel out first and if you have questions then, you can ask me again.

Regarding antidepressants, they can also cause problems, and extreme measures might actually still be an expression of the problem. I take 1000 mg St. John's Wort twice a day and I seem to be noticing an effect, which is also scientifically sound, so having that as a long-term baseline is not a bad idea.

Take good stuff, avoid bad stuff, identify deficiencies. Don't carb/sugar-binge.

Psychologically, practice techniques for not letting your boredom/lack of purpose drag you down. Bluntly and broadly speaking, it stems from society's hamsterwheel dictating we have to be useful and productive, but what we actually have to be is happy, serene, carry some inner calm. Appreciate the immense value of slacking when your body tells you through feelings that it is the right thing to do at the time. It is the mind that makes stress about that, but those are usually 'implants' by society trying to recruit you into other people's managed unhappiness so that the contrast doesn't disturb them so much. - There is a lot of societal gaslighting going on where well-spirited people are conned into thinking they aren't contributing enough while those that do the conning are actually the ones who go the selfishly convenient way and maybe overall even make things worse.

I want to thank you for your thoughtful reply.  Yes, my diet has suffered a bit, partly because I cannot afford a good one and partly because in my depression I lost care.  Yes, it is true that I am hard on myself about not being productive but that is because I have since contemplated life to the degree that I realize I could have offered the world more if I had been paying attention.  Yes, I am only meant to sit serenly and do nothing, and I guess I will have to be satisfied with that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dwai said:

MODERATOR NOTE: What you did, by editing another member’s post in a quote is grounds for suspension from this forum. The moderator team will be responding to this after discussion, but please never do that again. And please do introspect on why we don’t allow such things. 

Grounds for immediate perma-ban on most other forums.

Unconscionable behavior.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 1:48 PM, helpfuldemon said:

I want to thank you for your thoughtful reply.  Yes, my diet has suffered a bit, partly because I cannot afford a good one and partly because in my depression I lost care.  Yes, it is true that I am hard on myself about not being productive but that is because I have since contemplated life to the degree that I realize I could have offered the world more if I had been paying attention.  Yes, I am only meant to sit serenly and do nothing, and I guess I will have to be satisfied with that.

Diet basics on a budget: Quality over quantity. Moderate meals lead to more efficient digestion. Typical healthy poor people meals:

•  Canned herring or other fatty fish. If sardines, consider sprats instead. They're fattier. Consider price of something, especially calories. A can of cod liver for example seems relatively expensive, but is super-high in energy. Provides plenty of easily digestible omega 3, plus  vitamin D and others. (Vitamin D deficiency is rampant in northern regions and more so in our troubled lockdown times. Can't get enough from food, though. I recommend this single one as supplement. It boosts immune system.) Needs getting used to the amount of fat, though. (Easier to digest if on a slice of dark whole-grain bread.) But fat doesn't trigger insulin, the substance which is the crux of it all. And it provides fat-soluble vitamins. Super-lean diet is problematic.
  • Zinc also boosts the immune system a lot. Worth informing yourself about which of such nutrients is plenty in which foods.
  • A diluted sip of apple cider vinegar daily can curb insulin problems from sugar intake and make digestion stronger.
  • Freezer broccoli. Heat it up in the microwave, ~4-6 minutes. Great if you can find a sauce hollandaise or such that tastes good. - Broccoli is one of the healthiest veggies there are. (Like any type of kale-like vegetable.) Some people call it Brocco Lee. :lol:
  • Burger patty. Ideally not the cheapest possible, because the diet of the cattle matters, too. Pick one without tons of added ingredients, just pure spiced meat. Eat it without buns. It is fattier and easier to digest than steak.
  • Cheese is always a good choice. Good mix of fat and protein and has plenty of other nutrients, easy to digest. Might be a bit more expensive than milk in other forms, though, but depends on the price/quality level. But energy-wise, the processed products are better than milk where you pay for the water, too. Actually, just drinking a bit of cream when you feel like it is not a bad idea. If you like yoghurt, pick the 'Greek' 10% one. - Personally, I enjoy a daily snack of an ounce of salted Irish sweet cream butter. I get it at a discount and the price per calorie is unbeatable.
  • Eggs! Scrambled or such. Nature's multivitamin. A real feelgood meal, in part because it provides a balanced range of most of what you need.
  • Make your own kefir with kefir grains. Super-probiotic that populates your colon with bacteria that can provide you with very good additional nutrients. - Some people may still be sharing excess kefir grains for free.
  • Get powdered garlic, add water, let it sit for 1-5 minutes and then mix the paste into suitable meals right before eating. Garlic is super-healthy and the water brings it out.

Gotta gradually get used to such a diet change, though, so that the body can make good use of it.

If you have a desire for variety, eat a little bit of many different things as your daily meal. That can include some sweets, because it is just a bit of it, so it is fine. Don't torture yourself with diet extremism.

Prefer whole-grain if you want to eat that high-carb stuff. Brown rice, whole-grain spaghetti or such. Or at least parboiled rice. Doesn't have to cost more than the regular one, but contains so many more nutrients. The main problem with carbs is often their refined state which drains your body of nutrients. Unprocessed foods tend to contain the things you need to avoid problems with them.

If you're still on a 3-meals-a-day pattern, skip breakfast. Try to have few larger meals, no snacking. (Which becomes easier when not on an insulin rollercoaster.) - Lots of fat, moderate protein, little carbs, especially sugar. Some carbs with high fiber is quite alright.

If you combine that with some exercise, that's potent. No need for motivation. Just do some casual, spontaneous pushups once of twice a day until you go oof, to get things in motion, and/or some other basic movement exercises, whatever you like.

Psychological trick: Wear undershirt at home. That's fitness studio style and you can look at your muscles and such, which drives body health awareness.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Owledge said:

Diet basics on a budget: Quality over quantity. Moderate meals lead to more efficient digestion. Typical healthy poor people meals:

•  Canned herring or other fatty fish. If sardines, consider sprats instead. They're fattier. Consider price of something, especially calories. A can of cod liver for example seems relatively expensive, but is super-high in energy. Provides plenty of easily digestible omega 3, plus  vitamin D and others. (Vitamin D deficiency is rampant in northern regions and more so in our troubled lockdown times. Can't get enough from food, though. I recommend this single one as supplement. It boosts immune system.) Needs getting used to the amount of fat, though. (Easier to digest if on a slice of dark whole-grain bread.) But fat doesn't trigger insulin, the substance which is the crux of it all. And it provides fat-soluble vitamins. Super-lean diet is problematic.
  • Zinc also boosts the immune system a lot. Worth informing yourself about which of such nutrients is plenty in which foods.
  • A diluted sip of apple cider vinegar daily can curb insulin problems with sugar intake and make digestion stronger.
  • Freezer broccoli. Heat it up in the microwave, ~4-6 minutes. Great if you can find a sauce hollandaise or such that tastes good. - Broccoli is one of the healthiest veggies there are. (Like any type of kale-like vegetable.)
  • Burger patty. Ideally not the cheapest possible, because the diet of the cattle matters, too. Pick one without tons of added ingredients, just pure spiced meat. Eat it without buns. It is fatty meat and easy to digest.
  • Cheese is always a good choice. Good mix of fat and protein and has plenty of other nutrients, easy to digest. Might be a bit more expensive than milk in other forms, though, but depends on the price/quality level. But energy-wise, the processed products are better than milk where you pay for the water, too. Actually, just drinking a bit of cream when you feel like it is not a bad idea. If you like yoghurt, pick the 'Greek' 10% one. - Personally, I enjoy a daily snack of an ounce of salted Irish sweet cream butter. I get it at a discount and the price per calorie is unbeatable.
  • Eggs! Scrambled or such. Nature's multivitamin. A real feelgood meal, in part because it provides a balanced range of most of what you need.
  • Make your own kefir with kefir grains. Super-probiotic that populates your colon with bacteria that can provide you with very good additional nutrients. - Some people may stil be sharing excess kefir grains for free.
  • Get powdered garlic, add water, let it sit for 1-5 minutes and then mix the paste into suitable meals right before eating. Garlic is super-healthy and the water brings it out.

Gotta gradually get used to such a diet change, though, so that the body can make good use of it.

If you're still on a 3-meals-a-day pattern, skip breakfast. Try to have few larger meals, no snacking. (Which becomes easier when not on an insulin rollercoaster.) - Lots of fat, moderate protein, little carbs, especially sugar. Some carbs with high fiber is quite alright.

If you combine that with some exercise, that's potent. No need for motivation. Just do some pushups once of twice a day until you go oof, to get things in motion, and/or some other basic movement exercises, whatever you like.

Psychological trick: Wear undershirt at home. That's fitness studio style and you can look at your muscles and such, which drives fitness awareness.

Oh my god, so complicated.

2 minutes ago, Indiken said:

Oh my god, so complicated.

You are not helping with that very subjective statement.

Things get really simple once a thorough understanding is attained, because the basics become clear.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Owledge said:

You are not helping with that very subjective statement.

Things get really simple once a thorough understanding is attained, because the basics become clear.

Reverse your statement to know the truth.

4 minutes ago, Indiken said:

Still not helping with those ominous, sloppily worded Twitter-style platitudes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Owledge said:

Still not helping with those ominous, sloppily worded Twitter-style platitudes.

Your profile picture and name, shows what you value.

What you value is what you do not have.

Also,

I am the real Owl, not you.

And I vibrate with color brown, not you.

Hence, you beg me to continue.

5 minutes ago, Indiken said:

And I vibrate with color brown

You definitely do.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Indiken said:

More or less the same as you wrote in the tcm/neidan thread. 

Is this your wisdom for the day? 

Or OCD? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

More or less the same as you wrote in the tcm/neidan thread. 

Is this your wisdom for the day? 

Or OCD? 

What did I write ?

Define what is wisdom for you, then maybe I could answer.

I do not know what is OCD.

I know how to heal with TCM, but I only have little experience.

I think I was able to play with Neidan, but I fear to proceed in a solitary manner.

Edited by Indiken

2 hours ago, Indiken said:

I think I was able to play with Neidan, but I fear to proceed in a solitary manner.

Yes, one should not play with oneself in solitary while doing neidan. 😁 

• Haha 1