adept

Reiki

I totally agree JohnC!

It is going quite well so far. MPG's last post has less absolutes and more admissions that something or other is just his 'opinion'.

As far as I am concerned, when the subjectivity of any perspective is acknowledged, everyone wins. that is always what I aim for when I engage someone. question and point, question and point... It wears down stupid absolutism and makes the world a better place. {for me} lol.

Shugendo has its own methods of healing, some of which can be seen in the documentary, Shugendo Now. I'm sure they could do something like reiki, but how do you know that it's part of their training?

This is the only real source of that information in a book or online, that I'm aware of. Coming from a Shingon perspective, which is closely related.

If you're going to learn Shugendo for real, you have to go to Japan and walk the mountains for years and pass all sorts of tests. The next closest thing in terms of similar training would be Tendai, in the USA, or Japan.

Actually, there's a Shingon priest here in the UK. It's the other end of the country but I might have to check him and his centre out someday. Looks very nice.

I saw the trailer for that Shugendo Now documentary a while back. That looks an awesome thing to do. Wonder if they let non-japanese do it ?

Getting back to Shingon, the tradition from which reiki comes, I've seen and read some great stuff about it lately.

I want to add a few points relevant to the topic of Reiki.

Reiki works, period.

Reiki is a healing modality rooted in the Mind and so of course it works.

It works if you Work, or rather, it works if you let It Work.

Really every practice works if the Mind is properly engaged.

Often we get to arguing about this practice versus that practice but that's all superfluous.

The purpose of any practice whether Reiki, Magick, ICP recitations (I had to) is to move the small mind out of the way so the BIG Mind can go to work.

Don't be fooled: prayer contains and covers all modalities if practiced sincerely--this depends upon releasing the ego and following the way of the heart. This is the single most neglected practice in modern spirituality.

And that's the point I want to make now. In the search for the most "baddass" techniques out there (usually by adolescent males) often it is the simple and direct techniques that are left behind because they don't appeal enough to the ego/machismo.

The single greatest obstacle on the Path is spiritual pride--it will put a stop to all progress until one owns up to it and corrects their error. Attitude is important here. Spiritual transformation is not a competitive sport!

It can be said that many approach healing modalities from an ego driven perspective--trying to "be somebody" important and set apart from the ignorant masses. True, there are many Reiki "masters" of this persuasion. Yet we realize that maybe even some of them do a lot of good! The question is what are we doing to make this world better? Anything?

By the same token, when we judge others based on their practice or engage in an egotistical battle of "my path is better than your path" we are simply bound up in a primal competitive mindset--this is not progress. This is no different than any materialistic conquest and really has its roots in territoriality--in other words, it is no different than chimps fighting over a piece of dirt, albeit spiritually/intellectually. The purpose of our practice should be to become more than we already are, not to perpetuate the same poisonous mind states that keep beings bound to suffering.

As it is written in the Corpus Hermeticum: "eternity, the essence of all instills immortality and permanence into matter, so it orders the Cosmos--the body of God--for the creator, the Mind is in everything."

We take hold of this power with an open mind and heart even for such things that may be distasteful or "fluffy" to us; even practices like prayer and Reiki.

• Like 1

Just read the thread.

That shugdendo film looks great. Never heard of it before.

Stay calm everybody. Don't want to have to move any of this to the pit.

• Like 3

Hehe, look what lovely email i just got:

Don't bother replying to this it's a junk email.

I just wanted to tell you to go fuck yourself.

Best of luck playing make believe with your reiki and wicca bullshit.

I hope you find a wife and have a million babies and never accomplish anything with your life, and you die in a nursing home wondering maybe if something more was possible.

Talk to you never.

Id like to know if sending emails like this is in line with TTBs policy?

First I want to say MPG hates reiki, and has been trolling this thread, and wants to send this page about a subject he hates to the pit, well no surprise there... I don't want to see this subject go to the pit, and I am happy to keep educating MPG if I have too.

If he keeps spewing all his BS, i will keep pointing out to him how dumb his point of view is.

Second, MPG refuses to have an intelligent discussion. Do we really need him here?

I am curious, what are peoples favourite healing modalities?

What have people found the best results with?

Who has some awesome 'anecdotal' success stories?

I too am curious. Even more so, what others bring into their lives to prevent past dis-ease from happening again. Healing is great, but in my thoughts, preventative modalities are even more potent... how to optimize future health, in conjunction with realigning past issues.

I don't like reiki at all.

Practicing meditation, it's very easy to feel the different quality of the energy that surrounds us.

Even people who are un-aware of energy can stir energy and move it with easy visualization, but unfortunately very few know what they are doing.

For example, I participated to a wiccan ritual few weeks ago.

I do not practice any religion on a regular basis, but I consider offerings to spirits and seasonal rites to be a good thing... like it's good to take a walk in the forest, etc...

People in wicca may feel something that they call energy, but it's hard to find someone who can test the "quality"of the energy. They enjoy tingling sensations, unusual pressures, see lights and think "That's it!".

In that ritual, people "called" energy from the four directions. The ritual was done in the city.

The energy that they got was the energy of the surrounding environments, not the fire, wind, water and earth that they called.

I felt it clearly.

When I take too much urban environment's energy I feel nausea and very unpleasant sensations.

When the energy come from nature and it is pure, I feel good, my strength grows.

People who do not meditate on a regular basis are not aware of this because their body does not retains too much energy.

I felt very very bad. They take the energy of the environment and manipulate it.

That energy is insane for cultivation.

Living in the city, we inevitably take some of this energy but only that quantity which we can purify for our own use.

It is not a good energy for cultivation or healing.

Reiki people do the same thing.

They do not discern what kind of energy they get. For them is "just energy" that heal autonomously.

It is not so.

Try to take a reiki treatment in a cemetery. and you will be sure of this.

They take some empowerment and from then on they feel connected with divine energy. They haven't the need to cultivate anything else. They are totally un-aware of what they are doing.And if they feel something, they usually misinterpret their bodily responses.

Edited by DAO rain TAO
  • Like 1

I am interested in results. If you point out that certain practices don't get results you become unpopular pretty quickly.

The more I am here the more I begin to dislike this community, it has a sort of aversion to practices that gets results and require effort and a huge attraction to practices which require no work and get no results.

I agree with you absolutely, MPG. B)

• Like 2

Seth,

I humbly request if you feel the need to continue the debate, do it here in the pit:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/25208-reiki-debate-continued/

Id like to know if sending emails like this is in line with TTBs policy?

I have been fairly nice to you in our PM's. If I've said something out of place here on thetaobums there should be a record of it here on this site the mods can look at.

Also if a person contacts you on say facebook and tells you where you can stuff it, that's an issue for facebook staff, not thetaobums staff.

For future reference.

First I want to say MPG hates reiki

I "hate" reiki in the same sense I "hate" our energy policy.

Our predominant sources of energy make no sense, when there are vastly superior alternatives available.

If we used just a teeny tiny bit of our desert lands that no one lives on, we could power the entire earth including all transportation.

Or we could use liquid thorium fluoride reactors (we've built them before) which produce almost no nuclear waste, have nearly unlimited dirt cheap fuel, at least 10,000+ years of fuel, and cannot under any circumstances melt down. Also the little waste that comes from a LFTR needs only be stored for 300 years, and can be used by nasa and the medical communities so it isn't waste. (oh and the reason we aren't using them? They can't be used to make weapons grade material)

But what do we do?

We use nuclear reactors which melt down, burn 1% of their fuel, and create massive amounts of waste as a result that has to be stored for 10,000+ years.

We dig up coal and burn it releasing more radiation from radon gas than a nuclear power plant will ever. We burn coal releasing so much mercury and other toxins it makes our waters unfit to drink, and also making many fish too mercury contaminated to eat safely. We have fly ash mudslides where coal ash piles up and no where to take it.

We power our cars with gasoline, and homes with gas, not caring it's a finite energy source we'll run out of soon.

I don't hate fossil fuels and traditional nuclear power, I just think they are archaic, and holding us back in a big way.

The sooner we grow up and move on, the sooner this world will be better for everyone.

That's sort of how I feel about reiki and wicca.

They are the popular things everyone does but make no sense as we have far superior alternatives.

and has been trolling this thread

Hey Seth as I've said man, I am out the second you quit talking to or about me. You complain about trolling but you are 50% of the equation.

I am happy to keep educating MPG if I have too.

Oh yes please by all means keep educating me.

and wants to send this page about a subject he hates to the pit, well no surprise there...

Well I thought if you and I were to argue with no end in sight, the pit was the place for it.

I don't want to see this subject go to the pit

No of course not, you are having too much fun trolling while accusing others of being the "real" trolls.

Do we really need him here?

Seth, I said everything I wanted to say in my very first post, the rest have just been followups when others are talking about me, to me, or asking me questions.

Want me gone?

Stop talking to me/about me.

And I'm gone.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

I am kind of curious as to what place aggression, hostility, lack of compassion has on a "spiritual forum"

Second, MPG refuses to have an intelligent discussion. Do we really need him here?

I absolutely think we do. Just because someone disagree's or has inane debates, I don't think means we should kick them out. If they do become abusive/trolling for the sake of grief, I think they should be removed.

But that kicking them out just perpetuates the 'you don't do things I like? I'm disconnecting from you' bullshit.

But I do think it is our responsibility to take responsibility for ourselves and not interact with them when they are being that way. Aka, someone disagree's, noted, and back to the topic at hand.

Consider the more you need others to believe your point of view, the less you believe it. Aka the more you need others to validate you, the more you are unstable in the belief and need others to back you up.

Takes two to tango. Don't feed the fucking trolls.

BACK TO REIKI.

John

*** Moderation Message ***

Ok you are all on a warning. No more bickering or you said/I said posts. Stay on topic please or there will be suspensions.

Thank you.

*** Mod Message ends ***

I only started this thread to tell of my experience with reiki.

Shame it ended up like this.

• Like 1

I only started this thread to tell of my experience with reiki.

Shame it ended up like this.

Yes it is ... but don't let it put you off.

• Like 3

Ah, the heat went down a little

Actually I heard reiki is Shugendo originated, it was passed town to people from a Tengu, which is not just a monster but an actual title sometimes

• Like 1

I saw the trailer for that Shugendo Now documentary a while back. That looks an awesome thing to do. Wonder if they let non-japanese do it ?

Yup they definitely do. Here is a French man who completed the training (I think).

favorite healing modalities

As mentioned on the first page of the thread, I really like jin shin jyutsu. They approach the microcosmic orbit (and corresponding chakras/central channel) in quite a unique way...saying that a chakra will be closed if it's one of the side channels that is blocked. So they have direct ways of opening the body on the side, in the front or the back (supervisors...they supervise the central flow by blocking if stress occurs). Then direct ways to balance the two sides (diagonal mediators...they mediate the supervisors that can get blocked). Of course, a direct way to open up the front channel and increase energy (main central flow). Then there are all sorts of different methods, like organ flows, based on what the individual needs. There is a set of mudras that can accomplish everything...and you can simply hold specific fingers or toes to achieve the effect you want. Me likey.

Edit: Oh yeah, also like craniosacral a lot. So deeply relaxing.

Tried Bowenwork once...it seemed to be quite good. It's like the therapist strums your musculature in different areas...really unique.

Edited by turtle shell

The most powerful healer I have found was a pendulum dowser. Exactly what method he used I am not sure as he does all of his healing over the phone but his method of healing may be too far out for many materialists as he talks about removing curses and foreign implants and other strange things, but the person who recommended him to me said that he helped one of his friends recover from multiple organ failure the doctors said had little hope of recovery, so even though to some it might sound crazy and unscientific he seems to get results. Which is also evidenced by the fact that he doesn't advertise anywhere and isn't on the internet or phone book at all and does all his work by people passing on his number yet he is constantly busy with customers, so he seems to rely on fate or spirit or something to get people to see him.

I don't really understand the gist of this argument anyway, the healing of things like Tummo are on a completely different level and nature than something like Reiki. You may go to to have a Reiki attunement for a health problem and it may help, which is the level its working on, while Tummo is the highest Yoga Tantra so it may help you become happy and harmonious no matter what is happening to you, it might not even help that much with many health problems but it should help your mind so that you aren't bothered by them. I don't know about Mo Pai but Buddhist techniques generally aren't concerned with healing on the conventional level at all, they are more about the ultimate level of becoming at peace with whatever is happening, but that doesn't mean you ignore the conventional level healing you just recognise the place and usefulness of both aspects.

I've hesitated to join this debate due to an embarrassing professional incident involving Reiki a few years ago. What the hey it's time to confess. Part of my day job involves observing student teachers. One such in 2006 was a teacher of Reiki teaching an adult ed class in a therapy suite. No desks just treatment couches and stools. She had incense burning and new agey music playing softly as she took the students through sending distant healing. They had all brought a big teddy bear to practice on. I set my lap top up on a spare couch sat on a stool and began to type up the observation report. All was going well until next thing I knew the student teacher was shaking me gently awake as the class had ended. Turned out a couple of the students had thought I looked a bit tired ( I was) so had been sending relaxing healing my way. It certainly worked and the student teacher went on to successfully complete her PGCE.

Edited by GrandmasterP

I have to write something which many people will probably dislike, but I still have to write it.

I had a TREMENDOUSLY negative experience with Reiki in the past.

And by "tremendously negative", I do not mean that I simply found it non-working or something.

I had a problem which could be described as posession, as weird as it might sound. I do not wish to go into details, but let me just say, that these were some of the WORST HOURS OF MY LIFE.

Much of the discussion about things like Reiki usually goes around the topic of "does it work or does it not work?". I think a much more relevant question would be "Is it SAFE?". Judging by my experience, Reiki is obviously not a non-working inert method - there is real paranormal activity involved, but it's the sort of this paranormal activity which is in question.

If you'll do a Google search about the dangers of Reiki and possibility of posession, then you'll find other negative opinions and words of caution.

For example:

http://blogboogie.co...anger-of-reiki/

Edited by Narew
  • Like 1

I have to write something which many people will probably dislike, but I still have to write it.

I had a TREMENDOUSLY negative experience with Reiki in the past.

And by "tremendously negative", I do not mean that I simply found it non-working or something.

I had a problem which could be described as posession, as weird as it might sound. I do not wish to go into details, but let me just say, that these were some of the WORST HOURS OF MY LIFE.

Much of the discussion about things like Reiki usually goes around the topic of "does it work or does it not work?". I think a much more relevant question would be "Is it SAFE?". Judging by my experience, Reiki is obviously not a non-working inert method - there is real paranormal activity involved, but it's the sort of this paranormal activity which is in question.

If you'll do a Google search about the dangers of Reiki and possibility of posession, then you'll find other negative opinions and words of caution.

For example:

http://blogboogie.co...anger-of-reiki/

Now we have run the gamut from "Reiki" does nothing to "Reiki" can cause spirit possession.

There is much misinformation and misinterpretation about Reiki, especially from Westerners with religious backgrounds.

I have given Reiki to dozens of people (in person and by distance) and never had any kind of negative experience. I've received Reiki from numerous Reiki Masters and never had a negative experience.

Spirit attachments are really not that uncommon but please don't blame Reiki for your spirit attachment.

The idea that a practitioner loses life force when sending Reiki is complete nonsense. In fact, I either come away feeling completely neutral or more energized after sending Reiki.

Finally, I would suggest that a 'psychic' calling Reiki a scam and 'unsafe' is pretty laughable. In Jim's case, he has karma with Tibetan Buddhists which he has not resolved.

• Like 1