Lao Tzu

Can someone tell me the names of Qigong masters in America?

Chunyi Lin is considered a master, but I don't know if he has developed any abilities other than healing.

His system is geared towards healing.

Robert Peng is a similar master, supposedly he has the ability to generate internal chi strong enough to shock another person, but he hasn't submitted himself to a thorough investigation to check for devices. Until he does I would remain skeptical even though he appears to be a very nice person.

If there are other masters who have developed abilities and they live in the USA I am unaware of them.

Master Zhou Ting-Jue turned out to be a fraud, mixing sodium hydroxide (lye) with water to react with tinfoil to produce the feeling of heat from qi.

Remember most of the people who pass themselves off as masters, or authors are really just looking to make a buck. I would say 99.99% of the teachers and authors just make crap up, the most famous ones are just better at marketing.

The spiritual community is mostly filled with frauds and liars just wanting your money.

That's just the nature of the industry.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

If you learn from a teacher, be more careful...!!!!

Really...??? Some of the members here don't think so....:D

If your learn from books, be careful,

If you learn from a teacher, be more careful,

If you learn nothing, be careless enough to talk about how dangerous books and teachers may be

If you learn something, practice it and shut up.

Edited by bubbles
  • Like 3

Chunyi Lin is considered a master, but I don't know if he has developed any abilities other than healing.

His system is geared towards healing.

Robert Peng is a similar master, supposedly he has the ability to generate internal chi strong enough to shock another person, but he hasn't submitted himself to a thorough investigation to check for devices. Until he does I would remain skeptical even though he appears to be a very nice person.

If there are other masters who have developed abilities and they live in the USA I am unaware of them.

Master Zhou Ting-Jue turned out to be a fraud, mixing sodium hydroxide (lye) with water to react with tinfoil to produce the feeling of heat from qi.

Remember most of the people who pass themselves off as masters, or authors are really just looking to make a buck. I would say 99.99% of the teachers and authors just make crap up, the most famous ones are just better at marketing.

The spiritual community is mostly filled with frauds and liars just wanting your money.

That's just the nature of the industry.

On Chunyi Lin's abilities -- he said he once levitated up nine feet, spiralling up while in full lotus. I asked him if he created a "yang spirit" -- another physical body -- and he said he was told he did when he was in his house meditating and people saw him outside and told him later on. Going seven weeks without food, water and sleep in full lotus in a cave -- not sure what ability you call that. haha. My experience is that he has telepathy but he says he doesn't use it since it's impure. I saw him healing ghosts -- dead spirits that come to him while he meditates. He says he does this regularly and has to clean rooms of ghosts. Chunyi lin also said that he's done the 220 volts through his body. He said he changed six bottles of wine into water and transfered the alcohol to six other bottles of wine, doubling their strength.

That's off the top of my head.

If the two classics 黃帝內經(Huang De Nei Jing) and the 易肋經(Yi Jin Jing) haven't been written, where would we be right now...??? Please don't tell me not to learn it from them...:)

"If you learn something, practice it and shut up."

Did someone follow this practice without sharing his experience....???

Edited by ChiDragon

On Chunyi Lin's abilities -- he said he once levitated up nine feet, spiralling up while in full lotus. I asked him if he created a "yang spirit" -- another physical body -- and he said he was told he did when he was in his house meditating and people saw him outside and told him later on. Going seven weeks without food, water and sleep in full lotus in a cave -- not sure what ability you call that. haha. My experience is that he has telepathy but he says he doesn't use it since it's impure. I saw him healing ghosts -- dead spirits that come to him while he meditates. He says he does this regularly and has to clean rooms of ghosts. Chunyi lin also said that he's done the 220 volts through his body. He said he changed six bottles of wine into water and transfered the alcohol to six other bottles of wine, doubling their strength.

That's off the top of my head.

I've heard of a meditation that causes a person to float up unintentionally, the whole point of it is not to float so there is always another person present, when that happens, that person's job is to hit the other person with a stick :lol:

If you meet him again you should tell him to stop healing dead spirits, or at least tell him to send out a ghost to do that, for his safety

If the two classics 黃帝內經(Huang De Nei Jing) and the 易肋經(Yi Jin Jing) haven't been written, where would we be right now...??? Please don't tell me not to learn it from them...:)

Sure, but as you know, Scripture study is as important as oral transmission in Daoism, and for the latter, one needs a teacher. It is somewhat naïve to think that everything is written plain and obvious in books for people to practice and follow. We won't find idiot's guides. Daozang is not a big idiots guide.

And when it comes to practices that involves technical skills, internal or external, or just wisdom, proper guidance is necessary.

People wouldn't question at all the need for proper guidance if it was learning jewelry or engineering, classical chinese medicine or whatever. It speaks volume about our corrupted, materialistic and super-ego driven age that for spiritual matters, people think they can do by themselves just with books (when they have minimal reading skills).

Edited by bubbles
  • Like 2

"If you learn something, practice it and shut up."

Did someone follow this practice without sharing his experience....???

As I like to say and think, people who come here would be better off and would benefit more to the community, by posting less but better and practicing more.

• Like 1

As I like to say and think, people who come here would be better off and would benefit more to the community, by posting less but better and practicing more.

I see. That is quite a philosophy that I need to be followed assuming if I'm practiced and benefited less than others.....:)

I see. That is quite a philosophy that I need to be followed assuming if I'm practiced and benefited less than others.....:)

Sorry, I don't really understand what you just wrote, but rest assured that I do think we are friends despite all the blunt answers I made to your posts :)

I wouldn't write off Zhou Ting Jue so quickly. Sure he likes to do the showman thing, but some of the things he does such as touching red hot iron with his hands or tongue would most likely severely injure a normal person. He could possibly be using tricks for that, but that would be one very dangerous trick. He is around 77 years old now and he still appears to be very strong and healthy. As often is the case, there can be conflicting stories about various teachers depending on who you talk to. Someone made a claim somewhere that they think Zhou Ting jue is using something in the water that he puts on the aluminum foil, but others have said that his qigong healing ability is genuine. Sometimes it is really hard to know unless you go and meet a given teacher yourself and spend some time with them. Zhou Ting Jue may do the showman thing, but it does at least appear that he may have some real qigong ability. Whether he uses a trick with the aluminim foil I don't know, but not everyone is a fake.

Edited by The Way Is Virtue
  • Like 1

I wouldn't write off Zhou Ting Jue so quickly. Sure he likes to do the showman thing, but some of the things he does such as touching red hot iron with his hands or tongue would most likely severely injure a normal person. He could possibly be using tricks for that, but that would be one very dangerous trick. He is around 77 years old now and he still appears to be very strong and healthy. As often is the case, there can be conflicting stories about various teachers depending on who you talk to. Someone made a claim somewhere that they think Zhou Ting jue is using something in the water that he puts on the aluminum foil, but others have said that his qigong healing ability is genuine. Sometimes it is really hard to know unless you go and meet a given teacher yourself and spend some time with them. Zhou Ting Jue may do the showman thing, but it does at least appear that he may have some real qigong ability. Whether he uses a trick with the aluminim foil I don't know, but not everyone is a fake.

I've spoken with someone I trust that sought him out, he tasted the water and it burnt his tongue with caustic lye which reacts with aluminum foil.

I've spoken with someone I trust that sought him out, he tasted the water and it burnt his tongue with caustic lye which reacts with aluminum foil.

I have heard the story, but the reserves I have about this story is that I know that if I suspected someone was adding some unknown chemicals or substances to water, I would never taste the water without knowing exactly what was in the water first. Who knows what I might end up putting in my mouth? It could be poisonous. I don't know for certain one way or the other about this, but as I say I do have reserves about that particular story. Maybe some people are just a whole lot less cautious about such things than me. :)

P.S. I am not a chemist, but wouldn't there be a real risk of skin burns if water with sodium hydroxide dissolved in it gets on a person's skin? Zhou Ting Jue not only handles the dampened paper towel wrapped aluminum foil sheet in his bare hands, but he also lays this dampened sheet on his patients and no doubt some of the water soaks into the patient's clothes and gets on their skin as well. Wikipedia has a picture of burns on a person's hand who was in contact with water with less than 10% sodium Hydroxide dissolved in it, and the burns are quite severe. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sodium_hydroxide_burn.png ). Just wondering how this is supposed to work... :)

How is it with Tibetan energy practises? Are the teachers also charging for classes?

Personally I can understand why some teachers are criticised; though I also find that many students also project their own faults on to the teacher.

In the West expenses are also much higher than in Asia. Just wait and see, in 30-50 years you will probably have the same situation as in the West, when you have "free" health care and pension benefits and so on.

This is side-tracking now, so apologies to the topic master.

I am sure there are many who claim to teach Tibetan forms of energy cultivation as well, and asking for big money too. Again, these crooked teachers are preying on the gullibility of wanderers everywhere.

In more authentic and traditional Tibetan schools, recruits to 'secret' practices are hand-picked by the senior lamas after undergoing months if not years of Dharma lessons to establish a mind grounded in appropriate realizations first. Out of hundreds of novice monks maybe a handful would get selected and then assigned to various yogis for years of tutelage.

Even in more contemporary settings, the gist of the selection process remains the same in lineages which conform to traditional ethics. For example, my root lama has a huge base of western students who ascribe to his teachings and practices. Out of this base, there would perhaps be about 40 or 50 individuals who have been with him for quite a while, with some as long as 20 odd years, but as far as i know, of this group of senior students, only 4 have so far been given the opportunity to train in the secret arts with the 'hidden' yogis in Bhutan, India and Nepal.

There are a lot of safety issues involved, and the authentic Tibetan masters will never lead students on and promise them that they will all get to cultivate the deeper aspects of the secret arts, regardless of how wealthy the students may be or how much these students are willing to or have donated to the school. I think a very important factor that masters take into consideration before picking someone is how much affinity and merit has been accumulated in the master/student relationship. This is not some concession which can be hastened thru just because someone is a willing financial patron.

Some practices by their very nature simply can't be passed on through books or videos. You can learn some basic practices from books, but I think there are practices that do need to be learned from teachers. We can be deceived and mislead by others, but no one deceives us and misleads us more than ourself, IMO. A good teacher can help keep a person on track with the teacher's experience and perception, which they gained from long practice and also through the assistance and guidance of their own teacher. It is easy to make broad sweeping statements but I personally do think there are practices that can and should only be learned from a teacher. However, from my own experience, what we may think we are ready to learn at any given time may be quite different from where we really are as a person, and life seems to inevitably bring us face to face with our self and facilitates us learning what we really need to learn, despite anything we may think. I can't prove that of course, but it often sure seems that way. :)

The problem is none of the teachers really knows the Dao very well. So how can they teach us in a guarantied right way?

You can learn an absolute right way for practice Dao. I am an instance.

The problem is none of the teachers really knows the Dao very well. So how can they teach us in a guarantied right way?

I personally don't know that this premise of yours is correct or not. For all I know some teachers who either have come to America or who visit America may have attained the Dao. My multimeter doesn't have a Dao Attainment measurement mode so I really don't know. :)

Well, after all your name is Lao Tzu... ;)

• Like 1

I have heard the story, but the reserves I have about this story is that I know that if I suspected someone was adding some unknown chemicals or substances to water, I would never taste the water without knowing exactly what was in the water first. Who knows what I might end up putting in my mouth? It could be poisonous. I don't know for certain one way or the other about this, but as I say I do have reserves about that particular story. Maybe some people are just a whole lot less cautious about such things than me. :)

P.S. I am not a chemist, but wouldn't there be a real risk of skin burns if water with sodium hydroxide dissolved in it gets on a person's skin? Zhou Ting Jue not only handles the dampened paper towel wrapped aluminum foil sheet in his bare hands, but he also lays this dampened sheet on his patients and no doubt some of the water soaks into the patient's clothes and gets on their skin as well. Wikipedia has a picture of burns on a person's hand who was in contact with water with less than 10% sodium Hydroxide dissolved in it, and the burns are quite severe. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sodium_hydroxide_burn.png ). Just wondering how this is supposed to work... :)

His hands are very thick and calloused as could be expected from chronic exposure. He is a scam, he refuses to demo his abilities without water and tinfoil.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the OP asked this question not because he wanted to know the answer, but as a way to re-state his opinions about them, such as he did in his previous threads about qigong and meditation...

• Like 1

Feel free to teach.

But if your main teaching is about how everyone in the West has it all wrong, you probably won't find anyone who is willing to listen.

Not all masters are supposed to know true Dao, but ALL students must

Sinfest, you are the most brilliant person here. :lol:

Edited by Scotty

I personally don't know that this premise of yours is correct or not. For all I know some teachers who either have come to America or who visit America may have attained the Dao. My multimeter doesn't have a Dao Attainment measurement mode so I really don't know. :)

That is the point.

You don't know what an immortal looks like.

Feel free to teach.

But if your main teaching is about how everyone in the West has it all wrong, you probably won't find anyone who is willing to listen.

If they are really wrong, my pointing out the mistake should be the primary teaching.

Actually Chunyi Lin says Lao Tzu touched his head. So....