Lao Tzu

Can someone tell me the names of Qigong masters in America?

Maybe we do see them and just don't notice.

Yes, of course. My point was to get to LZ's meaning.

My Qigong master told me the story of walking into a restaurant in Asian somewhere and the boss came out and greeted him as a master, although his attire revealed nothing of the sort... Some people can 'know' or 'feel' it. That is a part of developing our awareness. I have meet a few people who consider themselves Qigong masters but I feel nothing from their presence.

I said the popular type of meditation is not good.

If I hold above opinion, and I still want to know what the Qigong masters in west look like, so as to let me get a impression of them, and to know what is happening in west.

Am I allowed to do that? :mellow:

If the Popular type of meditation is not good, then most people who practiced should have some harm done to them already by now, no.....???

If the Popular type of meditation is not good, then most people who practiced should have some harm done to them already by now, no.....???

I said it maybe harmful, not must be.

Most of the people who practiced meditation didn't get hurt. Because even there is a harm, mostly they are not so obvious to feel.

I think the so-called "empty mind meditation" has the lowest risk or no risk. The "focus some points" meditation has higher risk.

Anyway, both of them are useless, just wasting time for Dao. Of course, that my personal opinion(I think the opinion is mainly coming from the books).

I am just wondering whether its the methods that are inherently harmful, or the fact that they are misunderstood hence applied incorrectly that bring forth the 'harm' factor?

I have never come across a meditation system which purports to bring harm to one who adopts the practices. However, there are some forms which could potentially cause setbacks if the guidelines are ignored.

In the last decade, such forms are becoming more rampantly promoted by some 'teachers' in the West, significantly, by those who have spent only a short time gathering 'expertise' and 'substance' in the mystical Far East and/or the Himalayan regions, visiting a few ashrams, or taken a month's worth of lessons with famous yogis, and think they are then proficient enough to give transmissions and lead others on the 'right' path. Problem is, most of these teachers actually are able to convince seekers they are the real deal, as this is not at all difficult to muster - just consult a PR guy or get a pro to do up an impressive resume, and then a marketing dude to put the resume 'out there'. The primary aim will always be to achieve as high a level of legitimacy and transparency simultaneously so that the doubters will have no 'careless loopholes' with which to upset the applecart.

Then, the job of gathering personal testimonies begin, without which no teacher can hope to proliferate the system - these are in turn used aggressively as promo material, as irrefutable proof that the method works, and boom! the machinery is set in motion. Not difficult to do at all.

The drawbacks, the downsides, the side-effects, the confusions, the nightmares, the incoherencies, depressions, anger, little traumas - these usually will not arise for a while - those who experience such symptoms will quickly be told they have not given the practice enough time to penetrate sufficiently so that the rewiring process can happen at a more fundamental level, while those who experience difficulties after a longer period will be given a different spin.

Of course, there are always the post-'graduate' classes which all participants are encouraged to pay to attend, so as to cement what they have learnt, to reduce the chance of wobbliness as fledgling practitioners. They often claim to be available to students 24/7 to 'support' their progress - those who have been down that road will know this is almost always not the case. Of course, for the one or two die-hard students who have themselves a good following of students will be prioritized and given preferential support due to obvious prospective economic reasons.

I am just wondering whether its the methods that are inherently harmful, or the fact that they are misunderstood hence applied incorrectly that bring forth the 'harm' factor?

The problem is: without instructions of an immortal, it is always misunderstood. So in this view, you could say it is the methods that are inherently harmful.

The problem is: without instructions of an immortal, it is always misunderstood. So in this view, you could say it is the methods that are inherently harmful.

I cant verify this statement because its never been a fond curiosity of mine to determine what an immortal is, nor to seek such individuals out, for obvious reasons. 'Immortal' can be a very misguided term, with lots of different designations and interpretations attached. The possibility of finding one in the flesh, suffice to say, is non-existent. Past that, its all speculative stuff anyway.

Hence, i would retain my proposal that the methods are not the issue. The crux of the matter lies in the difficulty in obtaining a method or system that has not been diluted or reworked by individuals to make it more marketable or palatable to the needs of seekers. I have no quarrels with those who revamp a method for the purpose of ease of understanding, but to take a simple method and convert it into a complex one, in the process turning it into a slot machine, is regrettable to say the least.

I found one

Whew, was THAT hard! :lol:

Yeah, one by your definition, right? :lol:

No, I'm kinda high on not sleeping :lol:

and I think he would match every definition

Thats another way of saying you are hoping against hope this is the real deal.

Your youthful exuberance and enthusiasm is laudable. Now, try and catch some sleep heh? :)

I said it maybe harmful, not must be.

Most of the people who practiced meditation didn't get hurt. Because even there is a harm, mostly they are not so obvious to feel.

I think the so-called "empty mind meditation" has the lowest risk or no risk. The "focus some points" meditation has higher risk.

Anyway, both of them are useless, just wasting time for Dao. Of course, that my personal opinion(I think the opinion is mainly coming from the books).

I still need your Chinese definition of 氣功 for my final thoughts to conclude this thread.

I still need your Chinese definition of 氣功 for my final thoughts to conclude this thread.

He already answered you in the other thread where you asked:

气功是指通过某种方法调节体内精气神三宝,使精气充足,达到祛病延年的效果。

"The drawbacks, the downsides, the side-effects, the confusions, the nightmares, the incoherencies, depressions, anger, little traumas - these usually will not arise for a while - those who experience such symptoms will quickly be told they have not given the practice enough time to penetrate sufficiently so that the rewiring process can happen at a more fundamental level, while those who experience difficulties after a longer period will be given a different spin. "

Interesting Mr Cow. Could you go into more detail about these things as well as what might be done if one encounters them?

Thanks!

He already answered you in the other thread where you asked:

Yes, if you understand what he says. Actually, he was only making a general statement and did not really say anything meaningful as usual.

Yes, if you understand what he says. Actually, he was only making a general statement and did not really say anything meaningful as usual.

What kind of detail do you want? Can you ask me more specifically?

What kind of detail do you want? Can you ask me more specifically?

請你說你要說的話,一個人不能把你要說的話告訴你怎樣說. 對嗎?

You have to say what you want to say. People cannot be given you details to tell you what to say. Right?

Edited by ChiDragon

請你說你要說的話,一個人不能把你要說的話告訴你怎樣說. 對嗎?

You have to say what you want to say. People cannot be given you details to tell you what to say. Right?

我要说的话我已经说了,你不说我怎知道你的要求是多高呢?

I have said what I want to say. If you don't tell me what you want, how can I know what detail do you want?