Cameron

Do Ya'll guys drink?

whats with all the new users and their link to greaterhumanpotential.com?

lol "open your third eye" "law of attraction" "remote viewing" "stress reduction meditation"

but then they say red wine is better than meditation?

hehehe easier maybe...

Edited by anamatva
  • Like 1

Red wine is the best stress reliever. Cheers to that.

Red wine is good, but there are a couple better ones I can think of :), Salud
  • Like 1

i have a beer or wine every now and then, but as the saying goes all things in moderation! and it will definantly affect your cultivation. a mind that cant focus cant cultivate! unless you can focus while intoxicated! some people cant focus while not intoxicated! lol!

• Like 1

i have a beer or wine every now and then, but as the saying goes all things in moderation! and it will definantly affect your cultivation. a mind that cant focus cant cultivate! unless you can focus while intoxicated! some people cant focus while not intoxicated! lol!

and that usually happens when you've gone far overboard into some sort of addiction and are dependent to some measure on the "correction" which means you've got double the work to do!

I used to drink a few times a week at nightclubs, get drunk, stupid, crazy, aggressive even...but to be honest it did help me in terms of boosting confidence of a shy young guy and let me see different states of mind and potentials of what was possible.

tried to stop not much really helped, apart from one usage of peyote which seemed to intensely drive me away from alchohol, I had alchohol a couple of times since but the next day i did learn from the hangover but energetically and meditation wise i feel that it is one of the most harmful kinds of substances, but for some strange reason it is legal. Although not to 100% say its bad or anything but yeh kind of do think it is in a way.

• Like 1

At some point I spoke with a Chinese acupuncturist at a post-seminar lunch, who is also an indoor student (yup, there is such a thing, much as the outdoor students hate it laugh.gif ) of someone who has no public presence, whom she described as a high level taoist master. She is a tiny little woman and seems very fragile until you talk to her. So, we had a fairly in-depth discussion, and reluctantly at first, and then eagerly, she told me about her training under her master. She said he aims to demolish every pre-conception she ever had, and so he took her on a trip to Hong Kong to meet with and spend time among other masters of his level, his friends. She told me of many absolutely miraculous things they do for fun, and one of the things she saw them do, on a number of occasions, was challenge each other to consume and then transform cisterns of hard liquor and remain sober, smoking fat cigars while at it and poking fun at each other, and then play martial games in earnest, with much laughter and mirth. She said the master made her learn to drink and smoke (which she never did prior to her training) while at the same time working on neigong techniques of transforming these substances into extra pure qi. "How else are you going to live in a toxic world if you don't have the skill?"

echo!

• Like 1

I'm a heavy tea drinker.

I used to enjoy Liptons Green Gunpowder tea, because it had a very strong spiritual effect on me, but they stopped selling that tea.

Why you no help taoist master achieve awakening, Lipton?!

• Like 3

I'm a heavy tea drinker.

I used to enjoy Liptons Green Gunpowder tea, because it had a very strong spiritual effect on me, but they stopped selling that tea.

Why you no help taoist master achieve awakening, Lipton?!

I've been trying to drink more tea lately and less alcohol. I come from a long line of Irish alcoholics and it's something I've struggled with my entire adult life. Recently I decided I was going to quit for 100 days and . . . . it hasn't been going so well. I'm almost to day 50 and I've logged maybe 10 days without drinking.

Yesterday I decided my biggest problem is my friends and family. I was hanging out with a friend yesterday and mentioned that I wasn't drinking and he basically called me a pussy.

I think, for most of the people I know, being drunk is the greatest feeling they can achieve for under $20. Of course, none of them practice standing meditation. ;)

I've been trying to drink more tea lately and less alcohol. I come from a long line of Irish alcoholics and it's something I've struggled with my entire adult life. Recently I decided I was going to quit for 100 days and . . . . it hasn't been going so well. I'm almost to day 50 and I've logged maybe 10 days without drinking.

Yesterday I decided my biggest problem is my friends and family. I was hanging out with a friend yesterday and mentioned that I wasn't drinking and he basically called me a pussy.

I think, for most of the people I know, being drunk is the greatest feeling they can achieve for under $20. Of course, none of them practice standing meditation. ;)

Often the addiction itself is not the biggest obstacle. It is friends and family. Hopefully you can convince your friend that drinking and dukkha is "being a pussy", and you can convey the idea that there are greater feelings than drinking. It won't be as easy as telling him he's a pussy, and it may take some understanding for why he chooses to drink himself. Maybe some other friend, or his father, told him that he was a pussy if he didn't drink.

• Like 1

Sometimes, sometimes not. I don't worry about it. I used to flog myself if I drank too much but that made things even worse. So just if the mood fits seem to work for me!

"I think, for most of the people I know, being drunk is the greatest feeling they can achieve for under $20. Of course, none of them practice standing meditation."

Yeah, but then I gotta tip the DJ, so I'm over.

Kidding, it's not the greatest feeling, except maybe sometimes with good company. Just that I like to dance, and I find it helpful to getting up on the floor when the name of the game is the mystery dance (and when is it not!). And the walk home is usually good.

A thing that I find the local craft beers and cheap gold tequila to be good for is adding the sense of gravity to proprioceptive awareness of body parts, and encouraging the freedom of movement in my sense of "here".

"body-position challenge", as Wikipedia refers to standing meditation under "proprioception"-- they say "body-position challenges" are a good way to build proprioceptive awareness. I'll go with the lotus for my body-position challenge, but more fun is to dance with a friend who knows the dark sun that is love in motion.

I'd like to learn sticky-hands, too.

Thing is, if I don't find the sign of the concentration thoroughly, there's a possibility of injury in the evening of the next day or the following morning. That's how I experience it. I have to be mindful and avoid drinking for a reason, if you get right down to it, even if the reason I'm drinking is to regain the senses I need to dance.

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 3

Used to, but my body calls it poison now - and I can only sip at my mother-in-laws red wine now and then (to the gasp of my body - (it complains usually)).

We (my body and I) prefer the green 'erb.

Used sensibly it expands awareness, and the little auric smog it leaves is easily transmuted(in my experience).

It has helped me get out of many energetically disturbed states. And it's great to help decend any chi that gets caught/over compressed in the upper center.

But I understand it is not for everyone.

• Like 4

Used to, but my body calls it poison now - and I can only sip at my mother-in-laws red wine now and then (to the gasp of my body - (it complains usually)).

We (my body and I) prefer the green 'erb.

Used sensibly it expands awareness, and the little auric smog it leaves is easily transmuted(in my experience).

It has helped me get out of many energetically disturbed states. And it's great to help decend any chi that gets caught/over compressed in the upper center.

But I understand it is not for everyone.

Yes, it must be said that since I started meditating, my body doesn't really want to stomach it any more. And I don't feel "well" after just one drink even. Being more mindful makes me realise how toxic the stuff is.

Those that claim they "don't feel it" until they have either 3 or 4 - that can't be a good thing!

• Like 1

& sweets-

I used to eat a protein-candy bar once in awhile.

If I eat anything sweet now, I get crazy nauseous.

Zero cravings for any type of cookie, cake, chocolate.

• Like 1

We're teetotal here.

No biggie.

Anyone enjoys booze then fair play to them it's just not something either Mrs GMP or I were brought up to.

Tried it when I was in the army, seemed like an expensive way to get a headache.

Each to his own though.

• Like 2

& sweets-

I used to eat a protein-candy bar once in awhile.

If I eat anything sweet now, I get crazy nauseous.

Zero cravings for any type of cookie, cake, chocolate.

Now THAT is my weakness.

Now THAT is my weakness.

Which may explain why alcohol feels toxic to you, from the neuroendocrine perspective. A weakness for sweets and starches is essentially an addiction to serotonin, sugar being the most popular metabolic shortcut. Alcohol, on the other hand, is a shortcut to adrenaline (and also, to an extent, norepinephrine, dopamine, and a bunch of other neurotransmitters), but not serotonin. A serotonin addiction is a symptom of depleted ability to produce it internally (all addictions are unconscious attempts at self-medication). Against this backdrop, one may deplete his or her serotonin stores still further by drinking alcohol, since the metabolic mechanisms for releasing various neurotransmitters partially overlap and compete. Feeling low on serotonin, in some people, produces that same subjectively "toxic" state via just skipping a couple of meals. Would you say you are also in this category? Curious.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2