Sign in to follow this  
adept

Japan

I am greatly relieved to report that my high school friend of 35 years and his Japanese wife have decided to fly home from Japan March 21st on one of those US Gov't. charter flights. He's been living his dream of teaching English at a university for the last 20 years and travelling throughout Asia during breaks, but it's time to come back to California for awhile.

Thanks, Ulises, for posting that incredible letter. The utter desolation that is apparent in that soul is still capable of seeing the glimmer, able to find the gratitude for the one thing she has; her life. How beautiful that spirit is.

A new Waterworld?

lorimap.gif

cambiostierramapas07.jpg

earthchangesmap.jpg

Some of your ideas are so far off I almost have no words. :lol: Where are the land masses supposed to disappear to? There are massive mountain ranges that go where? What you do not realize is that significant geological changes take place over millions of years.

This strange theory has been concocted by people who know nothing about Geology and in particular plate tectonics.

Sometimes it can be difficult, even with precise calculations, to make major predictions about the long term condition of the Earth.

If however, we look at the past, we do see that mankind enoucntered many disasters, that would have been big enough to wipe out civlization and keep people in the Stone Age. Some of these even occurred in relatively short periods of time.

Video about the disasters of 12,000 years ago-

The world's mysterious places

Here's Graham Hancock's site with a good introduction

The Official Graham Hancock Website

and more-

Between 17,000 years ago and 7000 years ago, at the end of the last Ice Age, terrible things happened to the world our ancestors lived in. Great ice caps over northern Europe and north America melted down, huge floods ripped across the earth, sea-level rose by more than 100 metres, and about 25 million square kilometres of formerly habitable lands were swallowed up by the waves.

Marine archaeology has been possible as a scholarly discipline for about 50 years - since the introduction of scuba. In that time, according to Nick Flemming, the doyen of British marine archaeology, only 500 submerged sites have been found worldwide containing the remains of any form of man-made structure or of lithic artefacts. Of these sites only 100 - that's 100 in the whole world! - are more than 3000 years old.

This is not because of a shortage of potential sites. It is at least partly because a large share of the limited funds available for marine archaeology goes into the discovery and excavation of shipwrecks. This leaves a shortage of diving archaeologists interested in underwater structures and a shortage of money to pay for the extremely expensive business of searching - possibly fruitlessly - for very ancient, eroded, silt-covered ruins at great depths under water. Moreover, with the recent exception of Bob Ballard's survey of the Black Sea for the National Geographic Society, marine archaeology has simply not concerned itself with the possibility that the post-glacial floods might in any way be connected to the problem of the rise of civilisations. ( http://www.ngnews.com/news/2000/11/1103200...acksea_3252.asp )

In 1997 a chain of mountains almost 2000 kilometres long and more than 3000 metres high was discovered in the South Pacific. Nobody ever knew the mountains were there before because they are under water - as, in fact, is 70 per cent of the earth's surface. Marine archaeologists -- who are looking for targets much smaller than mountain-ranges under the sea -- can therefore be forgiven for finding just 100 submerged sites more than 3000 years old in the past half century. Even at the crude mapping level, it is one of the absurdities of scientific priorities that we now have a better map of the surface of Venus than we do of the 225 million square kilometres of our own planet's sea-floor.

On land it is obvious that archaeology still has much more work to do before it can honestly claim to have fully understood (rather than merely theorised about) the process by which the great civilisations of ancient history arose. Vast areas of the earth's surface - the Sahara Desert, for example (which was green for 4000 years at the end of the Ice Age) - have hardly benefited from the attentions of archaeologists at all. And even in countries like Egypt which have been intensively excavated for more than a century new discoveries can still be made that call established views and chronologies into question.

In December 2000 excavations at Abydos in Upper Egypt by a University of Pennsylvania/University of New York team demonstrated that the intriguing religious practise of boat burial - for example the so-called solar boat of Khufu buried on the south side of the Great Pyramid of Giza - is very likely to have predynastic origins. A fleet of 14 boats found buried at Abydos a decade ago were originally assigned to the mortuary complex of Pharaoh Khasekhemwy of the Second Dynasty (circa 2675 BC). However, after thoroughly examining one of the boats (a sophisticated narrow-prowed "sewn" boat about 23 metres long made of wooden planks lashed together with rope), the excavators now believe that "the ships were buried some centuries before Khasekhemwy's enclosure was built. The fleet may have been intended for use in the afterlife of a much earlier pharaoh, perhaps even Aha [circa 2920 BC], the First Dynasty ruler of Egypt..." ( This Old Boat ) If this is the case, since the boat-burials at Abydos are far from being the work of beginners, then it seems obvious that the practise -- and the entire wonderful religious apparatus that goes with it -- must predate the First Dynasty.

But by how much?

Nobody knows.

Another interesting development also announced in December 2000 was the discovery of a group of very unusual ancient tombs at Elkab in Upper Egypt. The Elkab tombs are thought to date to the Second Dynasty, although the site itself has yielded evidence of continuous occupation from 8000 years ago until about 2000 years ago. The tombs are circular stone structures (with diameters of 18 to 20 metres) which in two cases were carefully arranged around large natural boulders. They have been compared with the Neolithic funeral mounds of Europe and, as the Belgian excavators admit, are of a type "thus far unknown in Egypt". ( http://www.usatoday.com/weather/science/ar...tdawn121200.htm )

So much then for the archaeologists having the whole picture about the evolution and development of any civilisation - even ancient Egypt which has been the subject of more archaeological investigation than any other.

But now let's remember as well that along continental margins and around islands across the world an area bigger than the Unites States of America was inundated at the end of the Ice Age: 3 million square kilometres (an area the size of India) was submerged around Greater Australia alone; another 3 million square kilometres went under around South-East Asia; the Florida, Yucatan and Grand Bahama Banks were fully-exposed off the Gulf of Mexico; huge areas of land were swallowed up in the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, the North Sea and the Atlantic, etc, etc, etc - the list really does goes on and on.

In my view the possibility of a serious "black hole" in scientific knowledge about recent prehistory is plausible, reasonable and worthy of consideration. I therefore propose that the conclusions of modern archaeology regarding the origins and early evolution of human civilisation should be treated as provisional until a comprehensive, global, marine-archaeological survey of continental shelves down to depths of at least 120 metres has been undertaken.

Earth change dates in the past, we know of three major meltwater pulses

NASA GISS: Science Briefs: Sea Level Rise, After the Ice Melted and Today

Geotimes - June 2002 - Glacial Mystery

The rate of sea level rise slowed between 14,000 and 12,000 years ago during the Younger Dryas cold period and was succeeded by another surge, "meltwater pulse 1B", 11,500-11,000 years ago, when sea level may have jumped by 28 m according to Fairbanks,

Antarctic Ice Sheets key to Sea Level Rise in the Past-

http://eobglossary.gsfc.nasa.gov/Newsroom/...0203288330.html

"This event happened near the end of the last Ice Age, a period of de-glaciation that lasted from about 21,000 years ago to 12,000 years ago," Clark said. "The average sea level rise during that period was about eight millimeters per year. But during this meltwater pulse there was an extremely rapid disintegration of an ice sheet and sea levels rose much faster than average."

The amount of sea level rise that occurred during a single year of that period, Clark said, is more than the total sea level rise that has occurred in the past 100 years.

The reality is that sea levels rose quite rapidly.

Videos with images of the underwater cities discovered off Cuba-

Edited by Immortal4life

Some of your ideas are so far off I almost have no words. :lol: Where are the land masses supposed to disappear to? There are massive mountain ranges that go where? What you do not realize is that significant geological changes take place over millions of years.
Lol, these scenarios are based upon the simple facts that much of our coastlines are all at sea level - or even below (like at "Katrina"). Therefore, even a small rise in sea level could push water very far inland in these areas.

And to worsen matters, many of the high earthquake risk fault lines - also run along these same coastlines...

global_quake_risk.jpg

global_midocean_ridge_0.jpg

Lol, these scenarios are based upon the simple facts that much of our coastlines are all at sea level - or even below (like at "Katrina"). Therefore, even a small rise in sea level could push water very far inland in these areas.

And to worsen matters, many of the high earthquake risk fault lines - also run along these same coastlines...

global_quake_risk.jpg

global_midocean_ridge_0.jpg

I suppose you believe, the tectonic plates just fold up and disappear. Perhaps into the earth's core?The site proves nothing except an introduction to seismic occurrences.

Edited by ralis

I think it will be a few years before we know whether Obama abandoned his progressive liberal base out of personal weakness or simply realized that he could only work - salvage hos political legacy - within a corporate-controlled plutocracy. Maybe it's a little of both.

As Vortex has pointed out, making the GE CEO his chief of staff has revealed what he truly stands for, not to mention how beholden he is to Wall Street.

I have pretty astute political radar. And I NEVER believed Obama was a true "progressive" to begin with. Not even close. A quick search on his background reveals that he was a Manchurian candidate groomed by NW0 bankstas as a corporate salesman to sell their policies to the gullible American public.

Anyhow, the latest news on his new JOBS CZAR/NATIONAL TAX ADVISOR:

How General Electric pays no tax at all and actually MAKES $3.2 billion from the rest of us

article-1370001-0B56828C00000578-205_468x286.jpg

General Electric CEO Jeffrey Immelt was hired this year by President Obama to advise on future corporate tax changes

General Electric paid no tax at all in America last year and even managed to get a $3.2 billion ‘rebate’ from the government.

The utilities giant allocated just 7.4 per cent of its $5.1 billion U.S. profits in tax - around a third of what others companies its size are paying.

But through a complex series of measures GE, which is America's largest company, will not even have to hand that over.

Instead it will get $3.2 billion back from the U.S. government after paying top tax lawyers and lobbyists to work the system on its behalf.

President Barack Obama shows no sign of clamping down on corporate tax and even hired GE’s chief executive Jeffrey Immelt to advise him on future changes.

‘He understands what it takes for America to compete in the global economy,’ Mr Obama said after his appointment.

LMAO!!! So, where's all the liberal outrage at our "progressive poster boy" totally selling out the environment, healthcare and taxpayers to Big Biz now?

Oh I'm sorry, he's actually a high Taoist master of "wei wu wei" - not "politics as usual." Apparently, only conservatives can stoop to that level. Baby Boomers...lol! B)

Edited by vortex

I have pretty astute political radar. And I NEVER believed Obama was a true "progressive" to begin with. Not even close. A quick search on his background reveals that he was a Manchurian candidate groomed by NW0 bankstas as a corporate salesman to sell their policies to the gullible American public.

Anyhow, the latest news on his new JOBS CZAR/NATIONAL TAX ADVISOR:LMAO!!! So, where's all the liberal outrage at our "progressive poster boy" totally selling out the environment, healthcare and taxpayers to Big Biz now?

Oh I'm sorry, he's actually a high Taoist master of "wei wu wei" - not "politics as usual." Apparently, only conservatives can stoop to that level. Baby Boomers...lol! B)

There is liberal outrage. Read the alternative press - Mother Jones, The Nation, In These Times, Pacifica Radio - all these voices are seething by the betrayal. The so-called "Liberal Media," what conservatives regard as just about everything except the Washington Times, Fox News, and Regnery Publishing, and what progressives, and I, call "mainstream media," are dutifully performing the same function they've performed since Day One of corporate-owned print and TV media; cheerleading for the establishment, no matter who's in office.

I don't believe that a truly progressive candidate could ever be elected to High Office in this country because we're becoming more of a plutocracy - rule by the rich - than a democracy. I'd love to see your sources about NWO sponsored Manchurian Candidate themes. There is one thing we can definitely agree on; we get our information from radically different sources.

Post, ten minutes later -

I just googled " Obama New world order manchurian candidate" and sure enough, a shitload of material, about 118,000 pieces, came up in support of your argument... and virtually every source was written by conspiratorial or hard-right voices.

This only proves that you subscribe to these sources. I think I'll continue to stick with journalists and news sources that explain the Obama presidency in terms of the ongoing corrosion of government by monied institutions and raw power politics. The day I see your sources speaking in concert with mine, perhaps I'll broaden my field of plausibility.

I do think 9/11 was an inside job, however.

Edited by Blasto

There is liberal outrage. Read the alternative press - Mother Jones, The Nation, In These Times, Pacifica Radio - all these voices are seething by the betrayal. The so-called "Liberal Media," what conservatives regard as just about everything except the Washington Times, Fox News, and Regnery Publishing, and what progressives, and I, call "mainstream media," are dutifully performing the same function they've performed since Day One of corporate-owned print and TV media; cheerleading for the establishment, no matter who's in office.

I don't believe that a truly progressive candidate could ever be elected to High Office in this country because we're becoming more of a plutocracy - rule by the rich - than a democracy.

Mostly thus far, I agree. Which is why most any candidate that enjoyed corporate mass media support (like Obama) was by definition not a true "grass roots" progressive. (This may somewhat change in the future with the replacement of the mass media with the internet, though.)

And, I think the "liberal" mainstream media has still gone VERY easy on Obama in comparison to Dubya. They've turned a blind eye to much of the same behavior and in general, toned down their raucous disapproval.

I just googled " Obama New world order manchurian candidate" and sure enough, a shitload of material, about 118,000 pieces, came up in support of your argument... and virtually every source was written by conspiratorial or hard-right voices.

Well, you somewhat contradict yourself here.

You automatically discount Obama's possible Manchurian grooming like a manufactured Disney pop tart because sources for that tend to be "conspiratorial or hard-right."

Yet, you also believe that 9II was an inside job - despite the fact that this theory is also purported by the very same "conspiratorial" sources. Although indignantly denied by both liberal & conservative sources.

So, are you anti-conspiratorial or just anti-right? Maybe you're actually a liberal-turning-conspiratorial? :lol:

I think the Baby Boomer generation raised on the corporate mass media still views the world through its polarized filter between the liberal left and conservative right.

Whereas the younger generations raised on the free internet/info are starting to transcend that polarity into a new one between "conspiratorial" and the mainstream (left + right). I personally feel this view is more accurate - as Obama, in actual core policy, is still basically pushing the same CFR/banksta/corporate agenda that Dubya did. There is thus no "surprise," lame excuses or disappointment in me at his behavior thus far - as I accurately predicted it from the very start (based on psychoanalysis, following his money trail and the same connections). Thus legitimizing my "conspiratorial" worldview, IMO.

Edited by vortex

Liberal, Conservative,straight,gay,tall,short.

All meaningless bullshit. One thing people can agree on is we have to move foward. Also if we're going to do so we have to stop using the labels the people we're fighting are branding us as.

If you're with us, that means you're a conservative! yeah you're good and hardworking, you don't take money from the government, you don't destroy the country.

If you're liberal you're with us, and against the un-self educated masses who support corporations.

People don't realize divided you will never fix the problems, of EITHER SIDE. Meaning you won't fix problems people known as the left would want to, nor the right.

The first step is to realize you are not represented by a president, no matter who is in office these days. This goes predominantly for congress aswell.

You want a grass roots movement? You get the "People" together. You don't divide them by calling one side stupid and one smart.

Plutonium is showing up in soil samples around the Fukushima plants and trace amounts of radiation here in the U.S. :angry:

Mostly thus far, I agree. Which is why most any candidate that enjoyed corporate mass media support (like Obama) was by definition not a true "grass roots" progressive. (This may somewhat change in the future with the replacement of the mass media with the internet, though.)

And, I think the "liberal" mainstream media has still gone VERY easy on Obama in comparison to Dubya. They've turned a blind eye to much of the same behavior and in general, toned down their raucous disapproval.Well, you somewhat contradict yourself here.

You automatically discount Obama's possible Manchurian grooming like a manufactured Disney pop tart because sources for that tend to be "conspiratorial or hard-right."

Yet, you also believe that 9II was an inside job - despite the fact that this theory is also purported by the very same "conspiratorial" sources. Although indignantly denied by both liberal & conservative sources.

So, are you anti-conspiratorial or just anti-right? Maybe you're actually a liberal-turning-conspiratorial? :lol:

I think the Baby Boomer generation raised on the corporate mass media still views the world through its polarized filter between the liberal left and conservative right.

Whereas the younger generations raised on the free internet/info are starting to transcend that polarity into a new one between "conspiratorial" and the mainstream (left + right). I personally feel this view is more accurate - as Obama, in actual core policy, is still basically pushing the same CFR/banksta/corporate agenda that Dubya did. There is thus no "surprise," lame excuses or disappointment in me at his behavior thus far - as I accurately predicted it from the very start (based on psychoanalysis, following his money trail and the same connections). Thus legitimizing my "conspiratorial" worldview, IMO.

I take issue with your lack of critical thinking around the way you believe sea levels will rise. This shows a real lack of plate tectonic and geological knowledge on your part. You may have been raised with access to a free internet, and that does not preclude questioning of what you have read. Many sites that attempt to support massive earth changes in a small window of time are just posting pseudoscience.

I'm with you all the way on this one, Ralis. I came in here to post an obvservation that the Japanese people are comporting themselves with absolute dignity; there doesn't seem to be any evidence of looting or shenanigans of any kind. Can you imagine how Americans would behave in similar instances?

- http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-the-myth-of-the-panicking-disaster-victim-2245014.html

" evidence gathered over centuries of disasters, natural and man-made, is overwhelming. The vast majority of people, when a disaster hits, behave in the aftermath as altruists. They organise spontaneously to save their fellow human beings, to share what they have, and to show kindness. They reveal themselves to be better people than they ever expected. When the social scientist Enrico Quarantelli tried to write a thesis on how people descend into chaos and panic after disasters, he concluded: "My God! I can't find any instances of it." On the contrary, he wrote, in disasters "the social order does not break down... Co-operative rather than selfish behaviour predominates". The Blitz Spirit wasn't unique to London: it is universal.

On 18 April 1906, San Francisco was levelled by an earthquake. Much of the city collapsed, and the rest began to burn. Anna Amelia Holshouser – a middle-aged journalist – was thrown out of bed, and felt her house collapse around her. She wandered the streets, and found herself sleeping that night in the park. But then the daze wore off, and she did what almost everybody else did: she began to look after the people around her. She knitted tents out of old clothes to house all the children who had lost their parents. She set up a soup kitchen, and the local shop-keepers handed over the goods for free. Hundreds of people gathered there, as they were gathering around similar people across the city. Anna put up a sign that said: "One Touch of Nature Makes the Whole World Kin.

In San Francisco that week, the city's plumbers began – unpaid – to fix the broken pipes, one by one. People organised into committees to put out the fires with buckets and anything they could find. The philosopher William James, who watched, wrote: "Everybody was at work... and the discipline and order were practically perfect." It had been an incredibly divided city, prone to race riots against Chinese immigrants. But not after disaster struck. San Fransicans handed out food and clothes to astonished Chinese people. A young girl called Dorothy Day watched her mother give all her clothes to survivors, and wrote: "While the crisis lasted, people loved each other."

Edited by i_am_sam

Traces(????) of radioactivity from the Fukushima plant have been found in rainwater in the northeast United States, but pose no health risk, the US environmental protection agency said.

Earlier Monday TEPCO said a large amount of highly radioactive water had escaped from the number two reactor's turbine building into an underground tunnel and might leak into the ocean.

The water is thought to have leaked from the vessel containing the fuel rods -- which are suspected to have temporarily melted(?????) -- or from the pipe system.

The radiation in the water was measured at 1,000 millisieverts an hour, a dose that can cause temporary(????) radiation sickness with nausea and vomiting for people who are exposed.

One of my friends children were supposed to return to school in Tokyo and were told

that no students are being allowed back "it is too dangerous to return" they were told.

Seawater near the plant has been found to contain radioactive iodine more than 1,850 times the legal limit, although it is not exactly clear how the contamination spread to the Pacific Ocean.

My intuitive: the core dumped and is already below the level of the sea vent. They're waiting to cap the top to stop radiation air levels and there is nothing to be done about the ocean. Japan is an island and volcanically active. Volcanically formed islands are a maze of underground vents Many many of them vent into the ocean and are water filled. Are there any death defying scientists with satellite access willing to post here?

Now that BP owns Google all results are filtered, so only posts on sites, phone calls or texts will make around..

A volcano in southwestern Japan erupted on Sunday after nearly two weeks of relative silence, sending ash and rocks up to four kilometres (two and a half miles) into the air, a local official said.

It was not immediately clear if the eruption was a direct result of the massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake that rocked northern areas on Friday, unleashing a fierce tsunami and sparking fears that more than 10,000 may have been killed.

Edited by torus693

And, I think the "liberal" mainstream media has still gone VERY easy on Obama in comparison to Dubya. They've turned a blind eye to much of the same behavior and in general, toned down their raucous disapproval.Well, you somewhat contradict yourself here.

I discount the Manchurian explanation because raw global power politics still has more explanatory power for Obama's rise and capitulation.

I am anti-both. Alternative 9/11 theories are not the exclusive purview of the right wing or conspiracy authors. There are a handful of investigators on the left who satisfy my need for compelling evidence. Richard gage and his colleagues at http://www.ae911truth.org/ seem to put out an explanation without demanding that people suspend their rational faculties. I'm obviously not going to bet my life o it either way.

This is a classic generalization that satisfies some questions, ignores others. I'm a baby Boomer who wasn't raised on corporate media, and I don't subscribe to left-right polarity, and I speak for many thousands, maybe millions of others my age.

?? I would agree with you that left-right polarity offers little explanatory power. It is a false dichotomy. But would I, or any of my college-educated peers, or any of my professors replace it with the conspiratorial model you've described? Hardly. Most of us firmly believe that the polarity is between the top and bottom, not between left and right. Class conflict offers a far more plausible explanation, and you don't have to be a raging marxist to see the desparity of wealth and power and the antagonisms created by it. Class theory also has the benefit of hundreds, even thousands of years of historical analysis behind it, so I don't think it's plausible that the post baby boomer generation, armed with the internet and allegedly freed of corporate media, has in one generation successfully performed a wholesale coup on hundreds of years of western academic tradition.

I would also suggest that your decision to not even list traditional class theory as a viable analytical tool for social conflict is in itself a sign of just how successful the ruling/corporate class has been in completely eliminating the subject of class stratification from American discourse. To even bring it up publicly is to risk ostracism, even though a class or marxist analysis is considered one of a handful of legitimate social theories in universities outside of the US.

Cheers, comrade! :lol:

Edited by Blasto

Sending metta to the nuclear power plant workers. _/\_

Workers endure austere conditions in averting nuclear disaster

And thoughts from a Chernobyl cleanup crew member:

Chernobyl Cleanup Survivor's Message for Japan: 'Run Away as Quickly as Possible'

The first to respond to Chernobyl were firefighters because there was a fire after the explosion. But nobody found a time to tell firefighters that there is radiation. Later all firefighters were admitted to the hospital. Their urine was so radioactive that it was treated the same way as nuclear fuel.

I don't believe that a truly progressive candidate could ever be elected to High Office in this country because we're becoming more of a plutocracy - rule by the rich - than a democracy. I'd love to see your sources about NWO sponsored Manchurian Candidate themes. There is one thing we can definitely agree on; we get our information from radically different sources.

Also, the U.S. is facing a government shutdown which is being pushed by the billionaire Koch bros. and Dick Armey's "tea bag party." It is obvious the "tea bag party" is being used by wealthy corporations as a front group to do their bidding. The demands are to defund planned parenthood, gut part of the stimulus and rid the country of "Obamacare." This move by the wealthy class has become easier by the "Citizens United vs. FEC" SCOTUS ruling, which allows unlimited money to be used politically by corporations. Which is nothing more than "money=speech" and corporations were given the same rights as living persons! What a scam perpetrated on the people of this country!

If their demands are not met, the government will shutdown. This is class warfare! A return to feudalism!

BTW, the "tea bag party" has chosen for themselves a peculiar title. Here is a link to the real meaning of tea bagging. :lol: :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_bag_%28sexual_act%29

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this