de_paradise

The coming economic crisis

Being spiritual and rich at the same time is contradictory.

This is just a story you are telling yourself about the way the world is. Being spiritual and being wealthy is not contradictory. Where did you get this idea?

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

This is just a story you are telling yourself about the way the world is. Being spiritual and being wealthy is not contradictory. Where did you get this idea?

My own idea. Cultivating wealth only creates more attachment to material things.

Do you think is easy cultivating the mind to a Buddha level? I would like to hear your experience with this regard. How many long term retreats have you attended?

Edited by durkhrod chogori

A scientist looking at this chart would likely ask the question, "What happened in 1992, in 2000 & in 2004?"

This shouldn't be overlooked. It is a matter of distinguishing causation from outcome.

Here is hwere I stand....

@ralis - thumbs up

A scientist looking at this chart would likely ask the question, "What happened in 1992, in 2000 & in 2004?"

This shouldn't be overlooked. It is a matter of distinguishing causation from outcome.

Anyway....

Here is a hint at where I stand....

@ralis - thumbs up

@joeblast - have any firearms reccomendations

smile.gif

Edited by -O-

My own idea. Cultivating wealth only creates more attachment to material things.

Do you think is easy cultivating the mind to a Buddha level? I would like to hear your experience with this regard. How many long term retreats have you attended?

Again, a limiting belief. And being able to be well compensated for your energy does not necessarily create attachment. I live pretty plainly. I haven't attended any long term, what, meditation retreats? Why is that the standard of measurement for anything? Is that supposed to be a measure of progress or seriousness on the spiritual path? I have had many other explorations and studied with some other teachers. If you are measuring me against your own path or progress, that seems to be a irrelevant. What conclusions do you think you can draw from me answering that question?

I have known some pretty advanced people who have money...so what? Of course, in a general sense, you are right, ordinary people chasing the dollar must stay asleep. What if you have a career that you worked hard at early on in life and now pays well? Live below your means, and have time to cultivate. It is indulging yourself above your means that creates the stress and conditions that you describe, not the money itself.

If your TCM career really took off, would you turn down the good money because it is 'not spiritual'?

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Greetings!!

Pedantic Asshole here with another friendly reminder that the subject at hand - End Times, if you will - is readily comprehensible without resorting to metaphysical speculation, intergalactic messiah mythology, conspiratorial asshattery or right-wing bullshit market fundamentalism. Performing what Chomsky calls an "institutional analysis" of our contemporary social and economic institutions yields readily ascertainable facts about the nature and trajectory of global forces at play.

Reading is an astonishingly viable means of becoming informed, believe it or not. Anything on the subject of Peak Oil by Richard Heinberg is worth the effort. "The Long Emergency" by James Kunstler spells out our crises in N. America better than any other single work. And "Confronting Collapse: The Crisis of Energy and Money in a Post Peak Oil World" by Michael C. Ruppert can pretty much lay to rest any lingering doubts about Western Triumphalism escaping the bounds of ecology for another go at unbridled consumer culture. I would recommend Chalmers Johnson's trilogy on the collapse of the American Empire to anyone strong enough to resist the urge to put a bullet in one's brain upon the reading.

Please allow me once again to argue that traditional Taoist communities modeled on today's Transition Town movement will most likely ensure the continuity of humankind into the 22nd century. All my earning power is now focused on moving to BC or the Yukon and either starting my own small off-the-grid community or joining one already established. A strong MCO, a rifle, and a handful of pre-industrial skills are all you need to make it, as long as you do not try to make it on your own.

See you in the upper latitudes, folks (you know who you are). And yes, you can commit your earning potential to the nurturance and well-being of your friends and family without selling your soul.

Cheers.

Greetings!!

Reading is an astonishingly viable means of becoming informed, believe it or not.

If you're gonna' survive Blasto, I for one, am very happy that the joy of sarcasm will survive long into the 22nd century. I feel sure our world will need it.

@joeblast - have any firearms reccomendations

Depends what you need :D For a pistol, anything but a glock - those triggers are dangerous (just ask Plaxico,) perhaps a 1911 if you're good with your hands and want whomever manages to swipe it from you to need 20 seconds to figure out how to operate the thing. If its firepower you need, go for a ruger mini14 - its about the size of a .22 but 100 round drums exist if legal in your state and .223 is an entirely different round...if you think you're going to have that many people coming after you :lol: You can actually mod those to fire both on depress and release and its still "semi." Much cheaper than an m16, easier to maintain than an ak, though it'll still get pretty hot if you empty it quick.

now people are gonna think I'm a gun nut with a nice big closet :lol:

Edited by joeblast

Again, a limiting belief...

I understand your point of view but you seem to quickly dismiss the one I have put forward. Maybe I haven't expressed myself correctly. Well I will try again: Different levels of enlightenment. You seek one that suits your current circumstances and therefore live accordingly. I, on the other hand, am seeking something different that suits me best and also according to my own karmic evolution.

Btw, I am not into pro TCM, I have just an interest in this area because it is directly related to health and because I have suffered from gallbladder disease which lead me to do research in this field. Also I like to help others without charging anything for it unlike a TCM professional.

The rest of this thread is loaded with anger, fear and brain fart; something that supposedly spiritual people should be avoiding. Look into your minds instead of looking outside.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Don't forget this:

You could be poor but your spirit will grow richer. The Buddha left a life of opulence and comfort for poverty and loneliness in order to udnerstand the nature of suffering, and in the end he accomplished his goal. In the meantime he understood that impermanence is what rules existence so becoming attached to things only intensifies suffering. As long as you have a roof to sleep under and food then things will be fine.

I also live a life of semi-poverty, the only luxury I have is spending $ on medium priced green/pu-erh teas as well as my Bagua lessons.

Good luck!

The idea that the Buddha was a prince and left a life of opulence may not be factual. Scholars disagree on this.

ralis

"Being spiritual and rich at the same time is contradictory"

How so?

Edited by Kate

Depends what you need biggrin.gif For a pistol, anything but a glock - those triggers are dangerous (just ask Plaxico,) perhaps a 1911 if you're good with your hands and want whomever manages to swipe it from you to need 20 seconds to figure out how to operate the thing. If its firepower you need, go for a ruger mini14 - its about the size of a .22 but 100 round drums exist if legal in your state and .223 is an entirely different round...if you think you're going to have that many people coming after you laugh.gif You can actually mod those to fire both on depress and release and its still "semi." Much cheaper than an m16, easier to maintain than an ak, though it'll still get pretty hot if you empty it quick.

now people are gonna think I'm a gun nut with a nice big closet laugh.gif

Alright!

Now we're talk'n!!

Finally gett'n some good stuff out'a this thread.

Bookmarks this reply 'cause the rest of the thread is bollocks!

Okay, so Joe, the mini14 or the 1911!

Mini 14 (it's pretty too!)

firearms-images-products-446l-tm.jpg

1911 (I like this one too.... it's a tarus just like me- oh ya you gotta squeeze right - not pull)

1911B1.jpg

Will do.... now how'bout something for the little lady - got anything in your closet for that?

I've got my primitve techinologies under control - so this might round our the resources (if ya know what I mean)...

Here's an image of the Beck WSK (not the cheapo movie crap being sold) (Mine was comissioned about 15 years ago directly from David Beck himself - stood in his shop and ran down the whole process of handcrafting these works of art - nice man - like his mom too)

DSCI0062.jpg

but Joe - what if I want to hit from 2000 metres away - and how'bout something nice and quiet - maybe a compound bow? Let's start thinking outa the box here!

Edited by -O-

Honestly, I would't worry about all the guns and stuff, as most people will be dead. Not a happy thought I know. But I'd spend your money taking your kids to Disney land instead, while it's there.

There will be plenty of guns to pick up all over the place. I am going beyond the economic crisis though.

A hill or forest will serve you much better than a gun, as Blasto says. He knows what he's talking about.

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Honestly, I would't worry about all the guns and stuff, as most people will be dead. Not a happy thought I know. But I'd spend your money taking your kids to Disney land instead, while it's there.

There will be plenty of guns to pick up all over the place. I am going beyond the economic crisis though.

A hill or forest will serve you much better than a gun, as Blasto says. He knows what he's talking about.

Well there aren't many guns north of the 49th - so I don't anticipate many laying around.... Do anticipate allot of our southernly neighbours making their way up here though - and I'm sure they will have a few....

Prefer a forest or a hill for my kids over Disneyland anyday and frees up the cash to be prepared for when the northern exodus begins. (U gotta know I'm kidding)... just keep in mind the intrisic value of a gold chain doesn't hold much water compared to, well, a tin pot with no holes. The pot win once you manage to get your fire started (fire gods permiting and all).

The most important thing: invest in water filters (I like Berkey). Besides air, water is the most important thing to our survival. Without it, we die within a week. If it's contaminated, we easily become sick...diarrhea means dehydration, and that can easily turn into death. Sources are everywhere, rain/snow/lakes/oceans/rivers/wells/dew/within certain plants/in urine...but pure sources can be hard to come by, especially in developed areas.

Alright!

Now we're talk'n!!

Finally gett'n some good stuff out'a this thread.

Bookmarks this reply 'cause the rest of the thread is bollocks!

Okay, so Joe, the mini14 or the 1911!

Mini 14 (it's pretty too!)

firearms-images-products-446l-tm.jpg

1911 (I like this one too.... it's a tarus just like me- oh ya you gotta squeeze right - not pull)

1911B1.jpg

Will do.... now how'bout something for the little lady - got anything in your closet for that?

I've got my primitve techinologies under control - so this might round our the resources (if ya know what I mean)...

Here's an image of the Beck WSK (not the cheapo movie crap being sold) (Mine was comissioned about 15 years ago directly from David Beck himself - stood in his shop and ran down the whole process of handcrafting these works of art - nice man - like his mom too)

DSCI0062.jpg

but Joe - what if I want to hit from 2000 metres away - and how'bout something nice and quiet - maybe a compound bow? Let's start thinking outa the box here!

2000 meters is quite a distance, you'd have to have a bunch of experience under your belt shooting those ranges to be really accurate (as in, having any semblance of accuracy whatsoever :lol: At that range you start having different cross winds mess with the trajectory, and if its to be one shot one kill...expert precision necessary.) The barret m107 .50 cal sniper rifle has its max effective range right at 2000yd, so that would fit the bill, but probably a bit pricey - a 30-06 ranges out to about 1200yd, way cheaper, still packs one hell of a punch (and that's on the butt end!) Actually the .308 is more "in service" so you're more likely to find better/more accurate ammo for it.

Bows are fun, havent shot one in a long time! I was at the sporting goods store a few weeks ago messing with some 70lb suckers - my uncle has an 80lb that he hunts deer with, its quite a draw on that thing! (didnt robin hood have a 100lb draw on his? B) )

For the lady, there's plenty of compact .22 revolvers out there - dont gotta worry about picking up brass with a revolver ;)

The 1911 is great because of its triple safety, but its set up so that it can be performed quickly 1-2-3. Some people dont like it because of the safety being around the left side for the thumb, but this is perhaps the one design that feds prefer because of the 'unorthodox' safety setup not being 100% grab-and-fire intuitive, but that may wind up being the extra few seconds that makes a difference should someone manage to get their hands on your weapon.

Aw hell, why not just get out the bloody cannon! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHW-QGMuZ4

nice knoife ;):lol:

Edited by joeblast

Its a contrarian view but when the masses panic and run for the hills its time to invest. The frightened money is already out and there is room for explosive growth.

Fright of the masses is not the only metric to use, but it tends to be a good one. Just like when counter person is giving out stock advice its time to sell, the market is reaching its nadir.

Was it Musashi or Buffet who wrote, “Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful.”

my 2 cents

Michael

<edit cause I can: FWIW the SP500 is up 62.53% (Dow up 47.41% QQQ up 69%)since this was written. Me be right, this time>

Edited by thelerner

The most important thing: invest in water filters (I like Berkey). Besides air, water is the most important thing to our survival. Without it, we die within a week. If it's contaminated, we easily become sick...diarrhea means dehydration, and that can easily turn into death. Sources are everywhere, rain/snow/lakes/oceans/rivers/wells/dew/within certain plants/in urine...but pure sources can be hard to come by, especially in developed areas.

Now here's a guy that's thinking straight! Good show Scotty.

2000 meters is quite a distance, you'd have to have a bunch of experience under your belt shooting those ranges to be really accurate (as in, having any semblance of accuracy whatsoever laugh.gif At that range you start having different cross winds mess with the trajectory, and if its to be one shot one kill...expert precision necessary.)

Keep in mind, it's in the hands of a Canuck!

(http://www.macleans....5_126689_126689

http://thedonovan.co...ves/002112.html

http://www.ctv.ca/se...26271952413_269

)

(Couldn't find the article about the head shot at 2100m which took out the driver of the lead truck of a convoy traveling around 20Km/hr)

The 1911 is great because of its triple safety, but its set up so that it can be performed quickly 1-2-3. Some people dont like it because of the safety being around the left side for the thumb, but this is perhaps the one design that feds prefer because of the 'unorthodox' safety setup not being 100% grab-and-fire intuitive, but that may wind up being the extra few seconds that makes a difference should someone manage to get their hands on your weapon...

I like it!

(it's not really a knife is it)

Edited by -O-

I disagree. This is addressed in Vimalakirti Sutra.

It really doesn't matter if you are rich or poor. Or you meditate or not. Go to retreats or whatever. Liberation comes on its own accord, just as the Buddha was born a prince and found old age sad.

Everyone has their part to play, like that old man did.

Play it well! Cheers!

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Not necessarily..

Let's say you wanted to invent a "free energy" or health device that would vastly improve our "world?" Or how about some technology that would cleanly recycle all trash or plastics? Clean up the oil spill? Just build another school or temple? But developing any product and commercializing it takes a helluva lot of money, buddy! As do "good" works..

Money is just like financial qi. The more of it you have, the more you can accomplish in life. Whereas what you choose to accomplish with it is an entirely separate matter.

Edited by vortex