Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hi, this is my first post on the taobums ^_^ . Been practicing flying phoenix dvd 1 set for just under a month now, pretty much daily although sometimes i just don't feel it & i was wondering if that means i should just not do it. However other times its can be pretty intense almost too much so, sometimes the feelings makes me want to go mmmmmmmm.

I have a clicky jaw, jerks on the left hand side when i open it due to stress and also a very old injury, it stopped round about the time i started practicing, not sure if it just the practice however because i have given up a certain addiction and am now longer as stressed/angry as i used to be...but when i was practicing, wind above the clouds i think, i actually felt the chi around the left side of my jaw noticeable and i could sense it not just on the jaw but millimeters around the jaw like a cloud of energy i guess. I love wind above the clouds, perhaps because its at the end of the set so i have built up more chi/am tapped into it more.

Hmmmmm questions, apologies if they have already been asked but this thread is pretty big been a while since i had a read.

1.When doing wind above the clouds in the dvd you go to your right leg first then left then back to right, i have been doing this but the second time i do the whole sequence i go to my left first then right then left... is this wrong? Just felt like i should balance both sides.

2.When im doing a sequence for example bending the bows i will stop in certain places like monk gazing at the moon, or when im doing wind above the clouds i find it sometimes feels good when my left arm is over my left leg and when i bring my arms back up and they are parallel one above another... i call these sticking point, feels good man. Should this be avoided?

3.I have practiced elemental qi gong and the foot posture is train tracked, in FP the feet are slightly flarred again does this matter, guess it must and i should just do as shown...which i do ;)

Edited by BluePhoenix133
  • Like 2

Blue -

Congrats on your first post. Welcome to the thread!

Each time you do FP will be unique and different, so if you "feel it" sometimes and other times do not, this is normal and natural for a new practitioner. Keep practicing, and over time you will find your results get more consistently powerful.

Regarding (1) Do not change the sequence of the forms on the DVD (doing L and R, etc.)....do the forms exactly as instructed. The FP forms are balanced in and of themselves, and you should have no concerns about modifying them because you are concerned about the balance. They are already balanced.

(2) When doing forms some small pauses at certain places are ok, but in general it's best to maintain very slow, constant movement, as shown on the DVD.

(3) Again, do the forms exactly as demonstrated by Sifu Terry on the DVD's, including foot position. The more months you practice the FP forms, the more powerful they will become. It's a great journey....stay with it and enjoy the process.

HTH,

Fu_dog

• Like 1

FP energy is sublime. Others here are "aware" of it, which is which. Clearly readable on this thread. But they are experienced of course.

FP energy is regulating yes, there were times it seemingly shuts off, or most probably settle down. An example of this, few times I felt huge amount chi in my FP practice, and while in the middle of my tremendous body shaking, the shaking will just suddenly stop! and then after some minutes I will continue to shake again. And a possible to note is our body has intelligence.

But this isn't clearly what I meaning to convey, when I stated "overwhelming", re my recent post above. But it's about the developing psychic sensitivity/awareness. If you have read my previous post that I automatically connected to the fears of the participants when they were about to rappel around 200ft. It was hard to breath and hard on the chest. That's just one example. So imagine if you can automatically sense (even if you do not intend) to the feelings of others, their fears, worries are all into you, even the feeling of your dogs.. and these unwanted vibes ligering in your being, that obviously most people don't prefer, how would you able cope?

So sometimes I skip my FP practice, to wisely integrate slowly.

I hope it is clear for you. :)

Hello ShivaShakti,

Thank you for sharing your experience in detail of the uniquely tangible energizing effects of the FP Qigong system. I believe you are the first FP practitioner on the thread (other than myself early on) to write about the intense type of vibratory state (bodily shaking ranging from mild to intensely vigorous) induced by the FP Meditations (especially the standing ones) that suddenly turns off just when you think it's going to be "overwhelming" or "too much."

Also as you've certainly experienced, by your nice account of empathic feelings, keen alertness and energy sensitivity, etc.--

Have you not noticed mental clarity? mental sharpness? more focus? automatically connecting to others feelings? becoming energy sensitive? becoming emphat? insights? (aside from vitality and health)

--the deep calm and stillness the follows after the intense shaking suddenly stops is truly sublime--and will become even deeper and more sublime the longer one practices with each and every successive vibratory state over the longer term. (I'm speaking in terms of years.) The calm/stillness that follows the shaking can evolve into profound meditative states that the high Indian yogic traditions refer to as jhanas, which I like to define as ecstatic absorption, expanded consciousness, access to insight, a state of At-One-ment always marked by supreme alertness and lucidity and many types of extra-sensory perception.

Speaking of jhanas, a couple of years back on the thread, I recommended Daniel Goleman's article, "The Buddha and Meditative States of Consciousness" as one of the clearest English maps detailing the levels of jhana. I still highly recommend this excellent roadmap--so that FP Practitoners know exactly where they are on the path towards the Ever-Conscious.

http://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/Goleman1972.pdf (part 1)

His 2-part article was republished in a book called "The Meditative Mind: the Varieties of Meditative Experience".

http://buddhistbooksblog.wordpress.com/tag/daniel-goleman/

Good practicing, ShivaShakti, and to all--

Sifu Terry

Hi, this is my first post on the taobums ^_^ . Been practicing flying phoenix dvd 1 set for just under a month now, pretty much daily although sometimes i just don't feel it & i was wondering if that means i should just not do it. However other times its can be pretty intense almost too much so, sometimes the feelings makes me want to go mmmmmmmm.

I have a clicky jaw, jerks on the left hand side when i open it due to stress and also a very old injury, it stopped round about the time i started practicing, not sure if it just the practice however because i have given up a certain addiction and am now longer as stressed/angry as i used to be...but when i was practicing, wind above the clouds i think, i actually felt the chi around the left side of my jaw noticeable and i could sense it not just on the jaw but millimeters around the jaw like a cloud of energy i guess. I love wind above the clouds, perhaps because its at the end of the set so i have built up more chi/am tapped into it more.

Hmmmmm questions, apologies if they have already been asked but this thread is pretty big been a while since i had a read.

1.When doing wind above the clouds in the dvd you go to your right leg first then left then back to right, i have been doing this but the second time i do the whole sequence i go to my left first then right then left... is this wrong? Just felt like i should balance both sides.

2.When im doing a sequence for example bending the bows i will stop in certain places like monk gazing at the moon, or when im doing wind above the clouds i find it sometimes feels good when my left arm is over my left leg and when i bring my arms back up and they are parallel one above another... i call these sticking point, feels good man. Should this be avoided?

3.I have practiced elemental qi gong and the foot posture is train tracked, in FP the feet are slightly flarred again does this matter, guess it must and i should just do as shown...which i do ;)

Hello Blue Phoenix,

Welcome to the FP Thread.

Answers to your questions are below in blue:

My advice is to do Wind Above the Clouds exactly as shown, which is exactly how I was taught by GM Doo Wai, the 6th generation grand master of the Bok Fu Pai system, which is the only kung-fu tradition preserving the FP Qigong system. This art was created by a yogic genius, Feng Tao Teh, in 1644 so to be assured of deriving maximum benefits at the least risk of any sort of mishap, I would do the exercise according to the tradition. When one has mastered the FP system sufficiently, you will intuitively know whether or not you can or should reverse the order of the sideways bending-stretching movements. But for now, my advice is to play it safe and practice the meditation the tried and proven way over 400 years.

No, there is no problem with holding certain postures within each FP moving meditation--so long as you do most of the repetitions (e.g., in Bending the Bows) in continuous flow/without any stopping or do more rounds of Wind Above the Clouds in slow continuous flow than not. (In advanced FP Meditations and in the advanced levels of other Bok Fu Pai sub-systems, supplementing continuously slow-flowing repetitions of an exercise with rounds of holding various static positions with each moving meditation's sequence is a means of augmenting the yogic effects of "normal" training.)

Keep us abreast of your progress,BFP.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Got the long form memorized and have been doing it with the eyes closed. (mostly)

I sometimes cheat and open my eyes at the start of the standing on one leg part. It brings back memories from years ago when I first tried to do Tai Chi with the eyes closed. It's interesting how much role our eyes play in our balance. I'm sure that in time this won't be an issue. Now I'm going to also work on doing my Tai Chi/Bagua with the eyes closed to regain that skill.

It's a nice set, and I like that it fits nicely along with my martial arts training. It complements the development of a strong root instead of the floaty flavor of some other qi gong routines.

• Like 2

Hello ShivaShakti,

Thank you for sharing your experience in detail of the uniquely tangible energizing effects of the FP Qigong system. I believe you are the first FP practitioner on the thread (other than myself early on) to write about the intense type of vibratory state (bodily shaking ranging from mild to intensely vigorous) induced by the FP Meditations (especially the standing ones) that suddenly turns off just when you think it's going to be "overwhelming" or "too much."

Also as you've certainly experienced, by your nice account of empathic feelings, keen alertness and energy sensitivity, etc.--

Have you not noticed mental clarity? mental sharpness? more focus? automatically connecting to others feelings? becoming energy sensitive? becoming emphat? insights? (aside from vitality and health)

--the deep calm and stillness the follows after the intense shaking suddenly stops is truly sublime--and will become even deeper and more sublime the longer one practices with each and every successive vibratory state over the longer term. (I'm speaking in terms of years.) The calm/stillness that follows the shaking can evolve into profound meditative states that the high Indian yogic traditions refer to as jhanas, which I like to define as ecstatic absorption, expanded consciousness, access to insight, a state of At-One-ment always marked by supreme alertness and lucidity and many types of extra-sensory perception.

Speaking of jhanas, a couple of years back on the thread, I recommended Daniel Goleman's article, "The Buddha and Meditative States of Consciousness" as one of the clearest English maps detailing the levels of jhana. I still highly recommend this excellent roadmap--so that FP Practitoners know exactly where they are on the path towards the Ever-Conscious.

http://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/Goleman1972.pdf (part 1)

His 2-part article was republished in a book called "The Meditative Mind: the Varieties of Meditative Experience".

http://buddhistbooksblog.wordpress.com/tag/daniel-goleman/

Good practicing, ShivaShakti, and to all--

Sifu Terry

Hello Sifu Terry,

Talking about Jhanas, did you know Ajhan Brahm? What do you think of his exposition of jhanas?

Also, is it possible to expericence the four immaterial jhanas, infinite space, infinite consciousness, nothingness, neither perception nor nonperception, during FP practice?

thank you

To all Flying Phoenix Chi Kung practitioners and the extended FP Chi Kung community, and all Tao Bums subscribers who might chance upon this thread:
This posting is not about FP Chi Kung, Tai Chi or Kung Fu practice per se, but an exception I am making as a liberty at this time to explain a most important legal matter that has affected my life and productivity for the past 12 years, and has almost completely consumed my energies over the past 3 full years: the best creative work of my life as an author, screenwriter and artist/animation designer that I made as a vehicle to teach the best of Chinese martial arts, philosophy, culture, spirituality and Taoist and Chan Buddhist spiritualism to the West--a children's animation franchise called "The Adventures of Zen-Bear"-- that I developed starting in 1993 but was unfortunately plundered in 2001 and 2002 by Dreamworks (as I testified to at trial) and turned into the first "Kung Fu Panda" movie and basis for five announced sequel films. A timeline summarizing all my work on "Zen-Bear" since 1992 is on my site, http://kungfupandalawsuit.com/timeline-hotspots.htm
I need all your help--social networking and dissemination skills--and your prayers and positive energy to help make a brand-new Youtube channel GO VIRAL:

https://www.youtube.com/
channel/UC83iB8wGWMa8fgqWS8qFD-w/videos

Last Wednesday, November 20, was the 12-year anniversary of pitching my "Adventures of Zen-Bear®" story and fully developed animation characters to Lance Young of Dreamworks. Undeniably, this was the biggest mistake of my life, for it led to me filing a lawsuit against Dreamworks in June 2010 over its alleged use of my story ideas in its movie, "Kung Fu Panda"--a case that did not go well for me in 2011, and which I have had to appeal all the way to the United States Supreme Court on November 12 of this year.
So I thought it most fitting to celebrate Dreamworks' alleged "independent creation" of their Kung Fu Panda idea by publishing the videotaped deposition testimony of their star witness and professed creator of Kung Fu Panda, a former Dreamworks executive named Michael Lachance, via a new Youtube Channel named: "EAT YOUR PANDA". Most interesting and watchable are the 12 short (2 to 5 minute) video clips (numbered on the channel) that highlight how the Dreamworks Animation development department consisting of Lachance and his boss, Lance Young, operated from 2000 through 2004.

For starters, please view this one 2-minute clip:
(1)

--where Lachance says "Umm, I believe so" in answer to my lawyer’s question of whether he is the creator of idea for the "Kung Fu Panda"; states he doesn’t know the date of creation; and says the creation date is "sometime in 2000 or 2001." (Notice the number and frequency of his facial and bodily gestures during the half-minute of silence following his last answer.)

And if you don't shake your head in disbelief and roll your eyes in amazement at this deponent's peculiar choice of words and inability to put a date on his alleged brilliant creation of a multi-billion dollar film franchise, and if you still believe that Dreamworks originated the story of KF Panda on its own internally, please proceed to watch the complete video transcript of the Lachance deposition posted on the Youtube channel or these short highlight clips:

(2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8KB195nDI
•Lachance states that he had no special interest or expertise in China or Chinese culture and that his interest in martial arts was only limited to taking karate as a kid--admittedly something that he was “not very good at.”

(3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nfV2Bl81h4
•Lachance states that he had no personal interest in pandas.

(4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqgTUHlyTaI
•Lachance describes his KF Panda idea but again cannot give the creation date.

(5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e3mJnyIHAY
• Lachance explains that the inspiration for creating his Kung Fu Panda idea originated most likely in one of many "lists" used in the Dreamworks development dept. that contained various locations and animals.

(6) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_OtT2NoP_A
•Lachance testifies that Dreamworks had an idea to do a film set in China using indigenous animals prior to his alleged creation of his Kung Fu Panda idea and within 4 minutes contradicts that statement.

(7) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvQ1suUahAk
• Lachance testifies that his boss Lance Young (Sr.V.P. Business Development & Creative Affairs at Dreamworks) frequently took credit for his work. (Young was the person who took my Zen-Bear pitch, per my trial testimony.)

This Youtube channel launch is in sync with and in support of my U.S. Supreme Court filing. For if the most questionable, brow-raising, and controversial--if not amusing--of these video clips go viral, the news of the Supreme Court filing and the story of my litigation might get coverage from network and cable TV news shows, and get print coverage by WSJ, NY Times, Huff Post, BBC, etc. --as well as get treated by TV tabloid shows like TMZ, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, etc. Viral Youtube circulation and widespread news media coverage could ultimately increase my chances of the Supreme Court deciding to look at my case. For the chief justices of the Supreme Court--and certainly their clerks, as a seasoned advisor and friend reminded me last Saturday--are not immune to Fox News and other popular forms of news media.

Thus, you can strike a blow for justice and champion this extreme underdog, yours truly, by visiting my EAT YOUR PANDA Channel on Youtube, viewing the short 2-4 minute clips, clicking Like or Dislike for each, commenting on them as you see fit, and then sharing them with all your friends--and especially with web-savvy young folks and movie fans who you think might be outraged over the kind of testimony seen on these videos--and find it laughable.

Yes, Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation have long maintained the facade of doing good business (Dreamworks (theatrical films) and DW Animation were one and the same company in 2001 and 2002 when Young and Lachance stole my well-documented Kung Fu Panda story (as I alleged in my and at trial), and I've enjoyed many Dreamworks films as much as most people. But now it's time for what I contend is the TRUTH about their theft of my Kung Fu Panda story to finally be put into the public light--that in my opinion is revealed by Lachance's choice of words, evasive answers, contradictory answers, body language, and rapidly changing countenances before and after giving so many of his answers to my lawyer's questions on these videos.
So please step up and spread some light and truth--lux and veritas--and help make this first clip go viral for starters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHzsc1IadL4

Thank you all very much, everyone, for your help and support through my long and arduous battle.
Sincerely,
Sifu Terry Dunn
  • Like 3

Was just a comment about Panda.

Keep up your Flying Phoenix Practise!

Edited by Friend

I like what I read and sense about the flying phoenix chikung I used my shen to look at Master Dunn and it was as if he was surrounded by a powerful and dense chi.

Flying Pheonix is indeed high level chikung.

Hi. I've been doing the Flying Phoenix meditations for about two months. Skipping around a bit. Have yet to purchase Vol. 5, but have the others and have begun to learn 1, 2, and 7. I just recently finished reading this thread which has been very helpful and decided to join Tao Bums to participate. I look forward to posting questions and observations and learning from Sifus Terry and Hearfield.

In the meantime on the discussion of the legal battle, I noted that the Wikipedia page for "Kung Fu Panda" does not mention this issue. Oftentimes Wikipedia pages contain entries on controversies surrounding public figures or organizations, and said individuals or groups try to have these removed or minimized. I wonder if it would be possible to have some info about the legal matter added to the "Kung Fu Panda" page so that it might get more attention.

Edited by lobster

Awesome thread, the amount of information here and the time you've spent posting it sold me on the system, and while it's too early to report any results yet, I'm definitely enjoying the practice.

I have a few questions I thought I'd throw out there if you happen to have time to answer them. Sorry if you've gone over that topic earlier, I read the first 40 or 50 pages but it's a monster of a thread :P Anyway:

1) Earlier today I was doing Bending the Bow, when the light on the desk in front of me sizzled with a loud crackling noise and flashed on (it's an old lamp with a dodgy switch). The actual sound wasn't too loud relatively speaking, but combined with the flash of light it was really startling and I definitely jolted a bit, though I managed to avoid breaking the stance Anyway as I jolted I was surprised to feel a distinct surge of energy through the body, especially in the head and neck, which felt rather jarring and uncomfortable compared to the usual softer energy I've been getting. I figure this is the effect you're talking about when you warn to avoid loud noises and being bumped during practice - is there anything in particular I should watch for in terms of side effects? Or anything I should do to prevent them occurring? I assume that the effect isn't too risky or you wouldn't publish the system, but I've felt first hand the effects of energy body problems and don't want to go through that again.

2) On that note, I have what I assume to be an energy blockage of some sort in my legs - whenever I do any practice which involves energy flow through that area, I get a build up of an intense, painful, prickling sensation, something like what I imagine it would feel like to have your legs immersed in a glass tank full of giant mosquitos :| Not fun (this is what caused me to give up qi gong when I first tried it out from a book earlier in the year, the Middle Pillar ritual from the Golden Dawn system of magic also triggers it rather horribly) It seems to be clearing up slowly thanks to other practices I do, but are there any particular exercises within the FP system which you would recommend to help repair the problem?

I've noticed that Monk Gazing at the Moon seems to particularly trigger the symptoms, although not overwhelmingly in the way that the MP and other qi gong systems have (I can perform it for 5 minutes and even then only stop because my arms get sore, whereas I had to stop the MP ritual after 2 or 3), but I'm not sure if this is a sign that it is actually clearing up the presumed blockage, or just stimulating it enough to cause problems, although given the healing nature of the FP energy I'm hoping the former. Monk Holding Peach also sets it off to a lesser extent. And if you have any other thoughts on how to address the issue, it would be massively appreciated :).

Thanks a ton for your time Terry. And good luck with your legal troubles! I hate seeing artists get screwed over by the studios, hope you kick their asses in court.

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 1

Hello everybody,

I'm in my fourth month of practice, and I have to stay that even though things seem to be a little bit better, there is still some little things that prevent me from having a very good practice everytime. One is related to my lungs and sinus problem, I have my nose stuffy most of the time due to an allergic and asthmatic background, and it's of course a bit worst during winter. And because of that, it's much more harder to do the breath percentage with an extreme precision, but I always try to do my best, to be as close as I can, but believe me it's really annoying given to the fact that the secret of this system relies on the breathing sequence. So it tends to piss me off, sometimes I feel like I'm breathing through a straw put inside one of my nostrils. But I'm a perseverant guy and I really don't want to give up my practice. And I was wondering if sometimes it wouldn't be more efficient to do the breathing sequence through the mouth instead of the nose (we say we have to listen to our bodies right?, and in this case I really feel like I don't), because it seems much more easy to handle it this way in this particular context. I just want to maximize the benefits of my practice, either ways, with a nose stuffed or not.

Another thing, I've got another blocage with my kidneys, and because of that it takes me a while in the morning to really wake up and not feeling sleepy anymore, and the energy of my practice is always better when I practice in the evening than in the monring. And so I think that my energy tends to sink down if I don't get active enough, and sometimes with the monks serve wine meditations because there are 7 repetitions, it takes me longer, and I really try to go as slow as I can, but I realized that if I go too slow, I kind of start to get sleepy, and it's a big trap for my mind because, it seems like there is not a lot of thoughts, but it's not a clear state of mind. So yeah I don't think I should move to that speed, it's probably not good to cultivate that state of mind. I remember reading somewhere that at some point for meditators there was a big deal, like the more you improve your concentration and the more you have to deal with laxity of your mind, and the more you move on the more it's subtle, and hard to notice, and it prevents you from making progress. So it's about finding a good balance between excitation and laxicity. I think I read that in The attention of revolution by allan wallace. So I don't know if it's the same kind of problem I have,

I would be happy if you guys could share their experiences about this.

Thanks a lot,

Aurélien

Hello everybody,

Here is a video of me while doing MSW2. I invite you all to give me any critic, advice, comment that you may have and that would help me to correct my form.

Thanks in advance,

Aurélien

• Like 2

FPCH :

reflections on three years of practice.

First some background

I started Tai Chi in 1977 in Vancouver, BC, Canada. My teacher was James Syvitski another grad student at UBC. He taught a Yang style long form which I have practiced ever since. I taught the basic form for almost 20 years in New Orleans. During that time I encountered Sifu Dunn's tape and modified my form with that influence and some other workshops. For a long time in the late 90's and early 2000's I practiced only intermittently having assumed responsibility for cattle operations. Since retiring from my cattle herding avocation, I have gradually increased the amount of time practicing Tai Chi and Flying Phoenix qi gong. I jumped into doing the long form (disc 4) since I had quite a bit of background.

I practice almost every day (99%) Tai chi long form, and long form standing FP qi gong. In addition I have added some of the advanced seated meditations (80%) and also some standing forms, Wu ji Zhan Zhuong (3 -4 times a week).

Now to my reflections:

Qi gong is about developing and accumulating internal energy: health and stamina for me. Hence I practice daily if at all possible. Qi long ago became a palpable reality. It is related to breath, but goes beyond breath to respiration all the way to the cellular level. (Tingling sensations and numbness are indicators that circulation is good or is blocked and needs clearing, for example.) Qi can be accumulated and is stored in the dan tien. A general improvement in 'core' stamina and strength can be felt as more practice is done. Sensations of chi movement are part of the practice.

There has been a good bit of discussion of how slow or how long the time is for a form to take. Time issues are a western concern in my opinion. What a beginner should look for is the feeling of flow of qi. The pace for doing a form should flow with the qi, too fast and you lose it, too slow and you may not find it. I try to move gently and continuously throughout the movements. No jerks, constant speed, with the exception that sky (celestial) meditation and earth meditation positions may involve briefly pausing in the posture. I feel I have completed a successful route when my mind is focused on breath while moving. Dan tien breathing, expanding and contracting the abdomen in a way that the qi is stored in the dan tien. If my mind wanders I try to note that and bring it back to the breath and qi. The speed of the form, the length of practice takes care of itself.

I do note that my initial practice of any of the forms is usually faster than other forms I am practicing, but slows to a near constant pace as practice in the new form is accumulated.

My long form standing meditation takes something around 20 minutes occasionally as much as +/- 3 min. Often I note a lessening of intensity and more mind wandering associated with the aberrant session.

I don't generally feel the shaking, jumping as a form of qi, but rather feel a slow, long wave, pulse that travels about my torso and out into my arms only occasionally into my legs. I have significant increases in saliva production, during practice.

I had great hopes of developing an immune system that kept me from getting colds, and serious sinus infections. So far my grandson has passed all his school colds along to me … LOL.

Still I feel like the practice has kept me in good shape for my 73 year old body. I feel like it has kept me flexible and energetic as others around me stiffen and slow. Whatever; the fact is that I have committed to practicing for as long as I am able.

charlie

• Like 7

I think that Flying Phoenix absolutely has the potential to increase your immune response. I had the same issue with colds for a while (I am a teacher). I honestly think it was the FP that took my immune system up a notch. It was pretty bad, I was catching another one just as soon as I finished with the previous one. I've been cold and sinus free for over a year now and still interact daily with loads of often sick students. I even do a little bit of healing/intention work on them and it seems to help.

I would also stress the importance of not over-doing. We have to listen to and respect our bodies. Getting enough sleep, enough good whole foods and knowing when to stop a physical or mentally draining activity is all part of the equation. I personally train a little less of my external kung fu, circle walking, zhan zhuang, and conditioning on some days. It's back to the classic Yin/Yang model. If we want to destroy something we push it to it's extreme (Yin or Yang) if we want something to endure we help it maintain balance. I think the culture idolizes the hard working over-doing types, but it's far more important to know our own bodies and take the middle path.

• Like 3

As you are mentioning colds I'll share what works for me and I didn't catch cold while everyone in my house caught it. I do jala neti every morning (mainly because of dust allergy). It keeps my sinuses clean. I also take vitamin d3 10.000 IU almost every day and little bit of zinc.

Stress has very bad effect on immune system so minimizing it is important. Meditation is great for that.

Edited by malganis
  • Like 1

Hello everybody,

Here is a video of me while doing MSW2. I invite you all to give me any critic, advice, comment that you may have and that would help me to correct my form.

Thanks in advance,

Aurélien

Hello Aurélien,

Well done:) Although it is up to the sifus to decide how correct you are doing the form, it looks pretty OK., and your commitment counts more...

The form + mind is inviting and housing the FP energy. Your form will correct itself in time if you sincerely practice. Your mind has to distinguish the effects of what you are doing, and hold your intent of the form all the time, just like you are driving. In this way, you can be with the FP. Don't leave the car and chase the short skirts you see on the sidewalks when the car is moving. Stay in the car and be mindful if you are not doing already. :)

• Like 1

Hello Aurélien,

Well done:) Although it is up to the sifus to decide how correct you are doing the form, it looks pretty OK., and your commitment counts more...

The form + mind is inviting and housing the FP energy. Your form will correct itself in time if you sincerely practice. Your mind has to distinguish the effects of what you are doing, and hold your intent of the form all the time, just like you are driving. In this way, you can be with the FP. Don't leave the car and chase the short skirts you see on the sidewalks when the car is moving. Stay in the car and be mindful if you are not doing already. :)

Hi Cihan,

Thank you very much for your comment, I'm glad to have a bit of feedback from other practionners. Yes I know the commitment is probably the most important, and for me I know I would even have more motivation knowing that I'm doing the form properly (I'm already really motivated), because it would allow me to erase any kind of doubts that I have sometimes. I realized that taking videos of yourself while doing the form is a really fantastic way to improve the way you move and do the form, you take the video and after you try to compare it with the ones on the DVD, and you really learn a lot. I'm thinking of doing that like once a week to check the progression. It would be awesome if everybody would be ready to make videos of them practicing, it could be of a great help for all practionners. And a bit more real, than just discussing about the flying phoenix system, we would have material to discuss it in this way.

Seeee ya, and enjoy your practice =)

Aurélien

I do think moving in the direction of mastering any art or skill does require one to have a strong streak of perfectionism in their makeup. And chi kung is no exception. There is no way to become proficient at this internal art without striving to do it right. And when I view any of the DVDs that Sifu Terry has produced, or when I read any of his posts or emails, they all contain many markers of a job done more than well done. Setting the bar higher and higher while settling for nothing less than perfection.

Anyone willing to video themselves and then compare it to the dvds is someone who is going to do it right and eventually capture the elusive Tao.

Kudos Aure'lien for challenging the rest of us to be proficient.

• Like 2

I do think moving in the direction of mastering any art or skill does require one to have a strong streak of perfectionism in their makeup. And chi kung is no exception. There is no way to become proficient at this internal art without striving to do it right. And when I view any of the DVDs that Sifu Terry has produced, or when I read any of his posts or emails, they all contain many markers of a job done more than well done. Setting the bar higher and higher while settling for nothing less than perfection.

Anyone willing to video themselves and then compare it to the dvds is someone who is going to do it right and eventually capture the elusive Tao.

Kudos Aure'lien for challenging the rest of us to be proficient.

:)

Edited by oreothecookie

As you are mentioning colds I'll share what works for me and I didn't catch cold while everyone in my house caught it. I do jala neti every morning (mainly because of dust allergy). It keeps my sinuses clean. I also take vitamin d3 10.000 IU almost every day and little bit of zinc.

Stress has very bad effect on immune system so minimizing it is important. Meditation is great for that.

I do neti pretty regularly .. it helps some, but does not eliminate colds ... I also find some help by taking a tincture of echinacea. The zinc may reduce the intensity of the cold, as it has the current one I have.

However, for nearly 20 years we lived in the country herding cattle ... I HAD almost NO colds, in contrast to the preceding 20 years living in New Orleans where I had them regularlyand severally, each winter.

Reexposue to urban population concentration and contagion especially that brought home from school is the reason, I find most compelling. My stress when visiting grandson is very low eg blood pressure falls significantly even from levels in my country life. and here I have even more time to meditate and practice qi gong.

Contagion and exposure are the determining factors for me.

I was around someone all day and night last Saturday who suddenly came down with pretty bad cold symptoms. I went home the next day and took wild oregano and did my chi kung. A few nights later I came down with the chills so I was sure I caught her bug from 3 days prior. So I took more wild oregano, did chi kung, and used my Master John Douglas Cold and Flu Repair disc, some kind of energy device that he never tells what it is made of. I woke up in the morning with normal body temperature.

• Like 2

Hello All,

I just wanted to drop by and relate a short note on my recent private with Sifu Terry.

I just came back from a short trip to LA and had a chance to schedule in a private lesson.

What can I say? The private lesson was packed for one hour and his fine tuning of my Bending the Bows alone was worth the whole hour lesson. I have been practicing FPCK for only a couple of years, but in this time (and I believe this practice, just like everything else, will open up certain potentials to some degree in everyone) I have noticed an overt increase in coordination and immunity when I do this on a regular basis. I have also noticed the extra "shine" that draws a little more attention from people than usual (in a very good way), so if you are a job seeker, I could not recommend regular FPCK practice enough.

Needless to say, his insights have made a HUGE impact on my practice. I plan on continuing my training with Sifu through skype, I have plenty of work to do just with his input.

Well, I gotta get back to practice before traveling again - I send my best out to you Sifu Terry, thanks for your training and time.

All the best out to the FPCK family, have a great holiday break.

Rene'

• Like 3

Got the long form memorized and have been doing it with the eyes closed. (mostly)

I sometimes cheat and open my eyes at the start of the standing on one leg part. It brings back memories from years ago when I first tried to do Tai Chi with the eyes closed. It's interesting how much role our eyes play in our balance. I'm sure that in time this won't be an issue. Now I'm going to also work on doing my Tai Chi/Bagua with the eyes closed to regain that skill.

It's a nice set, and I like that it fits nicely along with my martial arts training. It complements the development of a strong root instead of the floaty flavor of some other qi gong routines.

Hi JustBHappy,

Sorry that I missed your post a few weeks ago when it went up.

You're not the only one to cheat in the Long Meditation to balance on the crane stance on the right leg. In the beginning, I think that every practitioner--including myself--had to open their eyes to recover balance. But once the root of the stance is well established by whatever means within and without this FP and the energy linkages throughout the body are perfected and real root--meaning "energy cleaving the ground" is felt, then you're be comfortable and confident doing the entire FPHHC Meditation with eyes closed. Yes, doing Kung Fu and Tai Chi forms with eyes closed is a valuable training. In one of my favorite Kung Fu styles that I practice, the ultra- rare "Eight Sections of Energy Combined" (Bot Dim Gum), all of the Eight Sections (very elaborate and sophisticated forms) and all of the preparatory and martial BDG Qigong exercises are done with the eyes closed. (After mastering forms done with the eyes closed next step after that is doing Push-hands sparring [or its equivalent] with eyes closed or blind-folded.)

Yes, all the Flying Phoenix standing Meditations develop real root. For natural posture and solid "rooting" are not just cultivated by the choreographed postures and movements in the Meditations. The breath-control sequence of each meditation, as Fu_doggy described in Year One or I think even Day One of this thread, the FP breathing formulas are the "secret sauce"--that ENSURES the development of total mind-body integration, strong relaxed postures and comportment, and energetic rooting.

Again, Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations was the health safety net for generations in the Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu system. Thus, it is a perfect complement to the practice of any Chinese internal martial art.

Best,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 6