Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

I was around someone all day and night last Saturday who suddenly came down with pretty bad cold symptoms. I went home the next day and took wild oregano and did my chi kung. A few nights later I came down with the chills so I was sure I caught her bug from 3 days prior. So I took more wild oregano, did chi kung, and used my Master John Douglas Cold and Flu Repair disc, some kind of energy device that he never tells what it is made of. I woke up in the morning with normal body temperature.

Hi Steve,

I'm right there with you with use or oregano along with FP Qigong to knock down colds at their start. Only, not having access to fresh oregano in the city of LA, I use a very strong concentrated Oil of Oregano that I bought in the late 90's in large batches (small vials with eye dropper dispensers in huge numbers) from an outfit on Long Island. It's so strong that it helped my father eradicate infections after too much radiation and chemotherapy for a lymphoma he had had severely compromised his immune system. I occasionally put the oil in food.

Happy Holidays,

Sifu Terry

Hello All,

I just wanted to drop by and relate a short note on my recent private with Sifu Terry.

I just came back from a short trip to LA and had a chance to schedule in a private lesson.

What can I say? The private lesson was packed for one hour and his fine tuning of my Bending the Bows alone was worth the whole hour lesson. I have been practicing FPCK for only a couple of years, but in this time (and I believe this practice, just like everything else, will open up certain potentials to some degree in everyone) I have noticed an overt increase in coordination and immunity when I do this on a regular basis. I have also noticed the extra "shine" that draws a little more attention from people than usual (in a very good way), so if you are a job seeker, I could not recommend regular FPCK practice enough.

Needless to say, his insights have made a HUGE impact on my practice. I plan on continuing my training with Sifu through skype, I have plenty of work to do just with his input.

Well, I gotta get back to practice before traveling again - I send my best out to you Sifu Terry, thanks for your training and time.

All the best out to the FPCK family, have a great holiday break.

Rene'

Hi Rene,

Thank you very much for your kind words and your endorsement of my teaching to the FP thread's subscribers.

It was great to meet you finally after conversing off and on for several years on this thread.

I compliment you on having diligently practiced just a few of the FP Meditations on the DVD series--but practiced them well enough so that just a few corrections of posture, movement, and eye/mind focus was all it took to anchor in the essential principles to do Bending the Bows near perfectly. So that those corrections will cascade through your FP Chi Kung training all the more effective, self-correcting and profound.

Many thanks for stopping by in LA and Happy New Year.

Sifu Terry

To riding the Ox: you are not sleeping well even after doing what Sifu calls the Sleeper from vol. 7?

O this is not a timely response sorry I have always been a light sleeper. Did not connect

the sleeper with ADV Monk Serves Wine immediately aaargh. I was doing ADV MSW 1, 2, 3 1 in the morning 3 at night grrrr

a

and Yes even tafter switching my sleep is not normal ... some of my intellectual baggage statistics, chemistry, ecology had some good insights in the day on waking in the night ... now it doesn't serve so well LOL

things may have improved since i switched , but other problems have arisen, which interrupted my practice for several days ... thanks for the inquiry

Edited by ridingtheox

Seasons Greetings Sifu Terry,

That was great to see confirmation of the effects of wild oregano oil at work. My apologies for not proof reading and thus I did not state it was the oil I used and not the fresh plant. Eric, the medical intuitive, has Rx wild oregano oil for colds and flu, etc. I put the drops in gelatin capsules since I am not fond of the taste of pizza when ill.

Seasons Greetings as we continue to ascend to Awakening in the coming new year!

Steve

• Like 2

Hello everybody,

Here is a video of me while doing MSW2. I invite you all to give me any critic, advice, comment that you may have and that would help me to correct my form.

Thanks in advance,

Aurélien

Hi Aurelien,

You are demonstrating very, very good practice speed and good form for a beginner. Keep practicing at this speed and in this manner and you attain greater relaxation and frictionless movement. Without ever having to think about this dynamic, imagine it, or will it, if you just do the breathing formula properly and then do the movements at the speed that your using, everyone and anyone will surely and steadily attain the facility of: "the mind moves the Chi, and the Chi moves the body."

Good practicing,

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Hi Aurelien,

You are demonstrating very, very good practice speed and good form for a beginner. Keep practicing at this speed and in this manner and you attain greater relaxation and frictionless movement. Without ever having to think about this dynamic, imagine it, or will it, if you just do the breathing formula properly and then do the movements at the speed that your using, everyone and anyone will surely and steadily attain the facility of: "the mind moves the Chi, and the Chi moves the body."

Good practicing,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi Sifu Terry,

Thank you very much for you comment, I'm glad to know that I'm on the right track. I'll keep practicing diligently.

the one thing that really conditions my practice is the quality of my breathing at the time I do it. Sometimes my breath is short and my diaphragm doesn't move how it's supposed to, and in this case I feel like that the more I try breathing deep and the more tense the breathing gets, that's where I'm trying to improve my practice, because I know I would make it a lot easier, if everytime I would be able to control it.

Aurélien

To the breathing comments I want to say my experience has been that the more relaxed I am doing the breathing sequences, the slower I breathe and then the deeper the breaths are. I do not try to breathe deeply at all. Relaxed, slow breathing makes them deeper on its own.

• Like 1

would someone point me to the 'name' list for the five Advanced Seated Meditations: Monk Serves Wine. I see that no. 1 on the disk is Big Sleeper.

I have trouble following the breath number identification for some reason.

thanks

To the breathing comments I want to say my experience has been that the more relaxed I am doing the breathing sequences, the slower I breathe and then the deeper the breaths are. I do not try to breathe deeply at all. Relaxed, slow breathing makes them deeper on its own.

Hello Tao stillness,

Yes I think you made a very good point, the speed at which we breath seems to really be an indicator of our state of relaxation. I will try to keep my focus on the speed and not the on the feeling that my breath is deep or shallow, and I'm sure that the depth will come on its own. Thanks =)

Aurélien

The speed is handled by the counting of the breath to 10 for the percentages. The depth of the breathing comes to me from being relaxed instead of rushed when I do the 3 breaths before the breathing sequence. At times I catch myself rushing the breathing to get to the posture and thus I am not relaxed and the breathing then is not slow and deep.

It's that time of year again: cold and flu season. So today I visited my Tao Tan Pai school brother and friend of 35 years Hugh Morison at his home in central L.A. After hanging out for couple of hours of holiday chi chat--covering kung fu and qigong of course, I left realizing that I had just picked up the cold bug that Hugh had been complaining about that he had just caught from his wife Kathy. (Sniffles turning into slightly runny nose on right side. Energy shifted to a soggy slight-heaviness.) Well, after grumbling to myself for a minute, I hit the gas pedal and took myself to the supermarket in Santa Monica where I bought a carton of grapefruit juice and a new bottle of chewable Vitamin C. 1/3 of a carton of grapefruit juice and 2,499% of my daily requirement of Vit.C later, I was still having the sniffles. More grumbing to myself.

So then I took myself to the park and practiced almost the entire Basic Level Flying Phoenix Qigong, i.e., everything on vols. 1 thru 4, for about 95 minutes. I felt the cold bug pretty much eradicated at the end of the Long Form STanding Med. (Step 6 below). No more sniffles. Head clear. Energy light and uniform throughout the body. But I decided to do Bending the Bows to make sure no residual parts of the cold bug were floating around in my personal ether. So I did BTB slowly. 18 times. Good thing I decided to be thorough. For the BTB meditation told me that my upper back, shoulders and neck were unusually tight because that tension was causing my entire torso to bounce up and down in a shaking pattern that I had never experienced before as I was lowering my palms down the front side of torso (and straightening my legs) during "Part A" of each two-part repetition. It was an interesting symptom of the cold I had caught. All the other FP Meds. that I did felt normal. But Bending the Bows imparted a unique experience by pinpointing the residual tension in the body that was symptomatic of the early stages of the cold. So I decided to let BTB take care of the tension that it had identified for me. So I round, after round, slower and slower, each repetition felt lighter and lighter, and I did a total of 18 at medium to very slow speed. By the 10th round, my sinuses were completely clear and dry and I was no longer doing the unique "shake."

So this is my cold-remedying sequence for this year--NOT to say that this would work for anybody else...but it did work for me today. And I did 8 of the FP Standing meds because I'm in a phase of my life where I absolutely cannot afford to be sick:

1. Moonbeam Splashes on Water (Vol.3)

2. Monk Gazing At Moon (Vol.1)

3. Monk Holding Peach (Vol.1)

4. Wind Above the Clouds (Vol.1)

5. Wind Through Treetops (Vol.3)

6. Long Form Standing Med. (Vol.4) "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation"

7. Bending the Bows (18 rounds!)

8. Monk Holding Pearl (standing).

Any other TaoBums out there curing your colds with FPCK?

Happy Holidays to all and Happy New Year minus one.

**And a very public and hearty THANKS to Fu-dog, Lloyd McClelland, in Orlando Florida, who took it upon himself to start this thread way back in Nov. 2009. We are now officially into Year FIVE of the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung Thread.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5

Hello FP Practitioners,

This morning I confirmed that my sequence of FP Meditations described in my preceding post did thoroughly knock out the cold bug that I had picked up earlier in the day yesterday. This morning, after doing my daily wake-up ritual of the Tao Tan Pai neigung known as the 5 Dragons, I practiced this sequence of FP Meditations over the course of 1 hour 50 minutes:

1) 24-movement seated FP meditation (not on DVD series)

2) Advanced Monk Serves Wine Meditation 80 70 50 30 (vol.7)

3) Monk Holding Peach

4) Wind Above the Clouds

5) Wind Through Treetops

6) Adv. Monk Serves Wine Med 70 50 20 10

[**At this point of my practice, with the 3rd round of #6, I no longer felt any part of my body but only the Flying Phoenix energy coursing through a channel located where the spinal cord normally is. And it was only my willful moving of the FP energy that kept my energy body inside my physical body: with each over-rotation of each forearms at the end of the fourth movement of the exercise, i felt the usual sublime and blissful activation of certain lobes of the brain--that I won't describe here but let y'all discover for yourselves. If one experiences enough of this brain activation, one will be able to "see", feel and instantly know the yogic effects of any other Qigong or system of Yoga.]

7) Monk Gazing At Moon

8) Moon Beam Splashes on Water (Vol.3)

9) Advanced Standing FP Meditation No.1 (not published)

10) FP Long Form Standing Med. (Vol.4)

11) Advanced Standing FP Meditation No.2 (not published)

I then went on to prepare for this New Year's Eve celebration feeling strong in my cells (and with a supreme confidence in my super-tuned immune system)...and blissfully confident and gratified that my Chi Kung was entirely supramundane from Step 6 onward.

Happy New Year to all!

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

A great post that gives inspiration to start the new year with the right foot, FP foot :D

Thank you situ Terry and Happy New Year to everyone

would someone point me to the 'name' list for the five Advanced Seated Meditations: Monk Serves Wine. I see that no. 1 on the disk is Big Sleeper.

I have trouble following the breath number identification for some reason.

thanks

Hi Charlie,

Happy New Year!

Sorry to take so long to chime in with an answer to your request.

There are no names that I know of for the advanced seated "Monk Serves Wine" Meditations on either Vol. 2 or Vol.7 of the Chi Kung For Health DVD series. When GM Doo Wai taught the MSW Meditations to me, he just went through more than 20 of them one after another without the breathing and then told me the breathing formulas on a separate day (expecting me to have practiced just the movements, which I did).

I agree that this name-less situation is sub-optimal, as calling each MSW meditation by its breathing sequence is cumbersome. So, to resolve this pain-in-the-butt situation, I think that we should have a contest this year, where FP Practitioners suggest names for each of their favorite MSW meditations.

Better yet, we can make it truly challenging and start a haiku chain, where any one of the 3 lines of the poem (5 , 7, and 5 syllables each line) can contain the suggested name of the particular MSW Meditation. I think this will certainly squeeze, knead, whip or pound the poetic and yogic genius out of all participants. And make y'all more alert to the specific effects of each of the MSW meditations.

Hmm, the more I think about this remedy, the more I like it. If a poetry contest is good enough to bring a Hui Neng out of the kitchen and into the seat of the Chan patriarch, maybe a MSW poetry contest might bring forward the next avatar, Master of FP, or at least the next Richard Bach. For this endeavor, I will nominate myself and and a couple of my more advanced students--including Fu-doggy in Orlando--to judge the best names for the individual "Monk Serves Wine" exercises.

What do you think? I think it's how I'm gonna roll this new year as a teacher.

Let's get started:

Fast means don't supper.

Then you'll find Monk Serves Wine Three

the "Waker Upper."

OK. Bring it on, FP'ers.

**Thanks for the post, Charlie. Now look what you've started!**

Happy New Year to all,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Correct, Steve.

One of the many remarkable aspects of FP Chi Kung is that the breathing formulas at the start of each meditation followed by normal relaxed breathing will over a relatively short time dramatically deepen one's breathing--and physically expand one's lung capacity--in the measurable terms of what physicians and respiratory therapists call "tidal volume."

Carry on.

And Happy New Year!

Sifu Terry

• Like 2

I've noticed in my daily practice of Bending The Bow that sometimes my heart rate increase quite noticeably.

Also the "strength" of the beats is apparently increasing, I can hear my heartbeat in my eardrums.

However this doesn't happen everytime.

Dose anyone have this experience?

Hi Charlie,

Happy New Year!

Sorry to take so long to chime in with an answer to your request.

There are no names that I know of for the advanced seated "Monk Serves Wine" Meditations on either Vol. 2 or Vol.7 of the Chi Kung For Health DVD series. When GM Doo Wai taught the MSW Meditations to me, he just went through more than 20 of them one after another without the breathing and then told me the breathing formulas on a separate day (expecting me to have practiced just the movements, which I did).

I agree that this name-less situation is sub-optimal, as calling each MSW meditation by its breathing sequence is cumbersome. So, to resolve this pain-in-the-butt situation, I think that we should have a contest this year, where FP Practitioners suggest names for each of their favorite MSW meditations.

Better yet, we can make it truly challenging and start a haiku chain, where any one of the 3 lines of the poem (5 , 7, and 5 syllables each line) can contain the suggested name of the particular MSW Meditation. I think this will certainly squeeze, knead, whip or pound the poetic and yogic genius out of all participants. And make y'all more alert to the specific effects of each of the MSW meditations.

Hmm, the more I think about this remedy, the more I like it. If a poetry contest is good enough to bring a Hui Neng out of the kitchen and into the seat of the Chan patriarch, maybe a MSW poetry contest might bring forward the next avatar, Master of FP, or at least the next Richard Bach. For this endeavor, I will nominate myself and and a couple of my more advanced students--including Fu-doggy in Orlando--to judge the best names for the individual "Monk Serves Wine" exercises.

What do you think? I think it's how I'm gonna roll this new year as a teacher.

Let's get started:

Fast means don't supper.

Then you'll find Monk Serves Wine Three

the "Waker Upper."

OK. Bring it on, FP'ers.

**Thanks for the post, Charlie. Now look what you've started!**

Happy New Year to all,

Sifu Terry

Hi Terry,

I now know that Adv MSW 1 is a sleeper and 3 is a waker . I was practicing those two exactly backward just because of the order i learned them . Doing 1 early in the day, 2 early afternoon and 3 late in the evening ... before bed! AArrgggh.

Now I do the three #3 (after a long form), #1 evening after dinner before bed ...

"y" leads Steady breath

Eager to learn chi propells

Big Sleeper to rest

well its something ...

I do #2 ADV still around mid day and am just learning #4 ADV for the new year. Not just 'horsing' around until Jan 31.

charlie

• Like 2

I will not participate in the poetry contest due to not having enough right brain hemisphere working. :blink:

LOL. But it's entirely possible to compose an entirely left-brain haiku...because anything's possible!

Yesterday's FP Qigong training from 12:30 to 2:30 pm following TaoTan Pai neigung:

1. Tao Tan Pai Neigung

2. Moonbeam Splashes on Water (Vol.3) as slowly as possible

3. Long Form Standing Meditation (Vol.4) as slowly as possible

4. Moonbeam two more times (at different speeds that I will put on Youtube in future.)

5-12. Advanced FP Standing Meditation #1 through #9

6. Section No.3 of 8 Sections of Energy Combined or "BDG" (not published).

7. Section No.4 of BDG

8. Section No.8 of BDG

9. The 8-movement BDG Meditation at the end of Vol.5.

10. 60-part Yang Tai Chi Form by GM William C.C. Chen

For the rest of the day and into the evening, i felt the FP Energy precede me everywhere I went by as much as 15 feet...causing many doors to be opened before me.

Make a New Year's resolution: Practice as much of the entire basic level of the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung as you can on a daily basis. It will be worth it.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

after 25 lines thrown away and couple new English words learned, msw1 from dvd2 (90 - 50 - 40 - 30 - 10):

first bread und butter
before you "enter the shrine"
open the shutter

or, a tiny bit closer to the poetic names of some other GM Doo Wai's meditation names (like "Child praying to the goddess of mercy"):

first bread und butter
awed "child entering the shrine"
opens the shutter

• Like 1

This is to Lloyd, Fu-Dog,

I was just looking at the SYG blog and on July 31 you asked why FP breath percentages are no longer than 5.

I have a GMDW meditation that predates FP but is still from his family lineage and it has 8 breath percentages. Doing that many is a meditation in itself!

Steve

have a couple of days of long form 20 min + Adv MSW # 3 30 min session ... feeling back to 'normal' after serious bout of bacterial infection ... hoping to start a 100 day program of FP next week including one or more of the short standing, MSW and the long form ... my new years resolution leading up to the Year of the Horse

• Like 1

after 25 lines thrown away and couple new English words learned, msw1 from dvd2 (90 - 50 - 40 - 30 - 10):

first bread und butter

before you "enter the shrine"

open the shutter

or, a tiny bit closer to the poetic names of some other GM Doo Wai's meditation names (like "Child praying to the goddess of mercy"):

first bread und butter

awed "child entering the shrine"

opens the shutter

Nice name and nice haiku, Leif!

"Child Entering the Shrine" -- very apropos for the first Monk Serves Wine meditation, too.

-- and I like the "und" for he "and" in the first haiku line. btw, are you German?

And it came right when I thought no one was going to start naming the MSW meds.

Wonderful!

Sifu Terry

Hello FP Practitioiners,

Because I had to resort to doing all of the basic level FP Meditations to knock down a cold that was starting a week ago Monday, I continued to practice all of the basic level FP in addition to everything that I normally practice. I again confirmed for myself that the distinctive fluorescent sky-blue FP Healing Energy is produced only through the Basic Level of the FP Chi Kung, which is the material taught in my DVD series. This cultivation alone is sufficient to empower one's healing art to a super-normal level. In fact, and I verified this by checking my notes and a 1991 video tape of GM Doo Wai saying so:
JUST ONE OF THE STANDING BASIC STANDING FP MEDITATIONS IS ENOUGH TO EMPOWER/IMBUE ONE WITH PROFOUND HEALING ABILITY--THAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD DESCRIBE AS "MIRACULOUS." And when coupled with practice of the rest of the system, GM Doo Wai said, "You will be able to do even more amazing things." (I shared this videotape footage with Sifu Hearfield very recently.)

I forgot to post this on Jan.4-- it was my morning "wake-up" routine:

1. Tao Tan Pai 5 Dragons
2. Monk Serves Wine 70 50 20 10 (Vol.7) - 20 min.
3. Monk Serves Wine 60 70 40 10 (Vol.7) - 16 min.
4. Monk Holding Peach.
5. Wind through Treetops
6. Wind Above the Clouds
7. Standing Long Form Med. (Vol.4) two times.
8. Monk Gazing At Moon.
9-11. Moonbeam Splashing on Water (3x at various speeds)
[steps 2 to 11 total time = 2 hrs. 10 minutes]
12-15. Four Advanced Flying Phoenix Standing Meditations. (30 min.)

Keep the MSW-naming Haiku's coming!

Happy New Year,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear