Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Practicing Taoism leads one to understand that the principles of physics hold true on every level of the perceivable Universe. Thus studying the natural astrophysical phenomenon of a pulsar wind nebulla is relevant to the application of any authentic style of Chinese Qigong or internal martial art. Therefore, Taoist boxers and physicians, study this article as a basic lesson in Taoist metaphysics--to improve and perfect your ch'uan fa and energy healing:

"We don't know if the hand shape is an optical illusion," Hongjun An, of McGill University in Montreal, said in a statement. "With NuSTAR, the hand looks more like a fist, which is giving us some clues."

Hint: the new, first-of-its-kind image of a pulsar wind nebula is more appropriately called "God's 'fa-jing'":
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/hand-god-spotted-nasa-space-telescope-2D11889092

Hint No. 2: --and the source of 'jing' is what event in the article--which corresponds to where in your human process?"
Hint No. 3: --which means your palm or fist can be where? --in order for your own pulsar wind nebula to permeate the target subject?

Hint No. 4: the answer to No.3 is learned in very advanced kung fu--for example, through training in Sifu Garry Hearfield's Tibetan Burning Palm system, a subsystem of GM Doo Wai's Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu.

Good studying,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

-- and I like the "und" for he "and" in the first haiku line. btw, are you German?

Czech, but speaking also a tiny little bit of German thus occasional mix-up.

Must have been some old German textbook school memory deeply imprinted (und Butter = and butter) :closedeyes: . (did I mention practicing FP brings for me quite some old memories to surface...mostly sensory memories (smells, moments of much sharper perception of reality tracing back to what/how I used to perceive as a child,...)

And it came right when I thought no one was going to start naming the MSW meds.

Wonderful!

I was mostly aspiring to provide a starting line for others. We must have some solid English or native English speakers on this thread who found their creativity enhanced through FP practice? ;)

Thank you for the recent couple posts of daily practice routines, that's an inspiration for the future. (And encouragement, if Sifu still practices basics after decades, there must be something to those 'basics'.)

• Like 1

Czech, but speaking also a tiny little bit of German thus occasional mix-up.

Must have been some old German textbook school memory deeply imprinted (und Butter = and butter) :closedeyes: . (did I mention practicing FP brings for me quite some old memories to surface...mostly sensory memories (smells, moments of much sharper perception of reality tracing back to what/how I used to perceive as a child,...)

I was mostly aspiring to provide a starting line for others. We must have some solid English or native English speakers on this thread who found their creativity enhanced through FP practice? ;)

Thank you for the recent couple posts of daily practice routines, that's an inspiration for the future. (And encouragement, if Sifu still practices basics after decades, there must be something to those 'basics'.)

Hi Leif,

I'm glad you found the inspiration from practice to write a MSW-naming haiku. That's evidence of truly knowing the effects of a MSW meditation.

Glad you appreciated my disclosures of my practice sessions over the last 2 weeks. As I said, I was compelled to do the full set of basic FP Meditations because I had just caught a cold from a friend a couple of Mondays ago and wanted to use my practice as an example to others for self-healing. Because I absolutely could not (and still cannot) afford to get sick and lose productivity, I instinctively felt most confident about knocking down the cold with the full set of FP Meds.--as opposed to just the Long Form Standing Meditation of Vol.4. All colds are toxemia, and if one catches their start early enough and counters it with the proper fluids, mega-doses of Vit.C, and the elimination of the intake of toxins, practice of the FP Meditations will definitely kick the toxic imbalance back towards allostasis. If one is very well-practiced in meditation in general and then does the FP Qigong, one can tangibly feel the FP Healing Energy restoring the balance to your blood chemistry (similar to how one tangibly feels energy activation of the scalp and one's hair becoming rejuvenated and returned to its natural color when one first does advanced seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations 80 70 50 30 and 70 50 20 10 [on Volume 7]).

Yes, let's hope some English majors out there will come up with a nice haiku or two to celebrate some aspect of their physical rejuvenation.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

I've noticed in my daily practice of Bending The Bow that sometimes my heart rate increase quite noticeably.

Also the "strength" of the beats is apparently increasing, I can hear my heartbeat in my eardrums.

However this doesn't happen everytime.

Dose anyone have this experience?

Please forgive the auto-quote.. :) but now this happens every time

Can this be an obstacle to the free flow of FP energy?

Should I raise my horse stance or continue until eventually the body adapt to the lower posture?

Should I raise my horse stance or continue until eventually the body adapt to the lower posture?

The same happens to me, also with monk holding peach.

Hi Pitisuhka,

Continue to practice Bending the Bows going through as deep a horse stance as you can manage.

Your flexibility will increase and over time, you will become comfortable and frictionless in this movement pattern, which will also carry over to any martial art that you practice.

Your hearing and feeling your heartbeat is normal phenomenon in FP training. FP Chi Kung as a matter of course sensitizes your entire body and makes normally involuntary, un-felt organ functions tangible, experienc-able.

Feeling and hearing your heartbeat can also be a function of what time of day your practice. Look up an acupuncture timetable for when the bolex of energy travels through each orb of the body. Note the hours of the heart meridian and see if you are more sensitive to your heartbeat when you practice during those hours. Health hint: ancient Taoists and many masters have their students practice and do their heaviest work-out during the hours of the lung meridian.

Besides one's heartbeat, do not fear the sound of thunder in your eardrums when you practice Qigong.

Sifu Terry

• Like 3

The same happens to me, also with monk holding peach.

Hi Aeron,

Good to get verification from different practitioners that heartbeats are being heard!

btw, I've been doing Monk Holding Peach since 1991, and to this day, that exercise still causes involuntary bending in the hips, and rapid rocking-bobbing of the torso forward and back. As I described of my students' practicing MHP back in the 90's, everyone who experiences this rocking forward and back looks as if they're praying before the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem.

I offer the same advice to you as I did above to Pitisukha: Keep on practicing and note the time of day on those occasions that you hear the heartbeat when you practice. Then you might want to look up an acupuncture manual, such as Felix Mann's book and look at the circulation of the energy bolex through the meridians. Even though I've stated throughout this thread that FP Qigong is not functionally based in anyway on acupuncture or meridian theory, understanding meridian theory might explain the timing of when you hear your heartbeat and/or feel the function of other organs.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 2

Thanks Terry, I'll keep that in mind.The effect seems to be lessening with time, but I'll start keeping track of it and see if there's anything interesting in the data.

On a side note, I've noticed that I'm increasingly feeling a kind of warm buzzing in the pit of my stomach and down towards the perineum after a session. I'm assuming that's a good sign :)

Does anyone have any experience practicing this system to undo severe energy blockages? The one in my legs I mentioned a few pages back seems to finally started clearing up over the last few days, but I've otherwise felt pretty awful (low energy, low mood, aches and pains and a couple nasty ulcers popped up randomly) and I'm wondering if there's a relation - I figured maybe the blocked up energy in my legs is being released back into the body where it has to be "metabolized" to get rid of. Thoughts?

Hi Pitisuhka,

Continue to practice Bending the Bows going through as deep a horse stance as you can manage.

Your flexibility will increase and over time, you will become comfortable and frictionless in this movement pattern, which will also carry over to any martial art that you practice.

Your hearing and feeling your heartbeat is normal phenomenon in FP training. FP Chi Kung as a matter of course sensitizes your entire body and makes normally involuntary, un-felt organ functions tangible, experienc-able.

Feeling and hearing your heartbeat can also be a function of what time of day your practice. Look up an acupuncture timetable for when the bolex of energy travels through each orb of the body. Note the hours of the heart meridian and see if you are more sensitive to your heartbeat when you practice during those hours. Health hint: ancient Taoists and many masters have their students practice and do their heaviest work-out during the hours of the lung meridian.

Besides one's heartbeat, do not fear the sound of thunder in your eardrums when you practice Qigong.

Sifu Terry

Thank you for the reply.

The "hear the heartbeat" that I get seems to me more like the one you get after a strenuous session of training or a fast run, maybe an increase in blood pressure? I might be wrong, of course

I've found this chart here

http://www.astrodreamadvisor.com/Qi-Cycle.html

however at first sight I don't see any relation with it and what I'm experiencing

after a long drive to SoCal yesterday which featured no practice other than breath work behind the wheel, this morning i did long form (vol 4) 23 min and midmorning MSW adv 2 vol 7 25 min ... lots of awareness of spinal energy rising and spreading along with good periods of y -> breath; qi -> movement/tempo...

peace all

• Like 2

Greetings to you all,

I just have started my Flying Phoenix practice one week ago and I am feeling that I have found a gem for a lifetime... I am deeply grateful for GM Doo Wai for having shared this wonderful practice. I am also grateful for Sifu Terry and Sifu Garry for answering arising questions and giving this extraordinary support. Having read the 171 pages of this topic I have also to thank all the contributing practitioners for their shared experiences.

I started the practice with each 10 minutes of Vol.1 Ex.1 and Ex. 2 in the morning and Vol.2 Ex.1 and Ex. 2 in the evening. I have to say that while practicing "Monk gazing at moon" of Volume 2 I felt major pain in my mid-back - but after the practice I felt a kind of "cold"/soothing/liquid-like energy in my back, which was very pleasant... After this meditation I feel a deep peaceful quiet :)

Best wishes,

Julian

• Like 3

Greetings to you all,

I just have started my Flying Phoenix practice one week ago and I am feeling that I have found a gem for a lifetime... I am deeply grateful for GM Doo Wai for having shared this wonderful practice. I am also grateful for Sifu Terry and Sifu Garry for answering arising questions and giving this extraordinary support. Having read the 171 pages of this topic I have also to thank all the contributing practitioners for their shared experiences.

I started the practice with each 10 minutes of Vol.1 Ex.1 and Ex. 2 in the morning and Vol.2 Ex.1 and Ex. 2 in the evening. I have to say that while practicing "Monk gazing at moon" of Volume 2 I felt major pain in my mid-back - but after the practice I felt a kind of "cold"/soothing/liquid-like energy in my back, which was very pleasant... After this meditation I feel a deep peaceful quiet :)

Best wishes,

Julian

Welcome Julian and congratulations for choosing this beautiful practice. I'm a beginner as well, and after almost 5 months of practice all I can say is that I totally agree with the term you used "gem" to describe this system, I really feel there is something very very special about this energy.

Good luck with your practice =)

Aurélien

Yep, I know it's been said over and over again but this really is an awesome system.

Interestingly, over the last week or so I've started holding MHPeach for longer (9 - 12 minutes, as opposed to 6 - 7), and I've noticed that as I hold it the energy flowing through (up?) the body induces a swinging and swaying sensation, where my hips will start spinning in a circle with the shoulders swinging in the opposite direction. It's a bit unnerving at first, but quite relaxing once I get used to it (although it probably looks a tad silly from the outside, heh).

I finished up my practice last night with MSW #1 and then followed with a short session of silent meditation (I find the seated meditations segue into quiet thought observation very naturally), and the whole time I could feel the FP energy running along my body, it was something like what I imagine it would feel like to be able to sit in a bonfire without getting burned, the energy licking up and down the body in waves, warm and cleansing, but mostly comfortable.

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 4

Two nights ago, after one session of MSW1, I went to sleep...
Then I've experienced what I think was sleep paralysis.
I woke up (at least this seems to me) but I can't move my body in any way..

It seemed like someone was pushing over my chest and kept me blocked to the bed.
I asked a few time what he/it wanted,

then I instinctively moved my hands in the vitarka mudra... everything gradually vanished.

After a while when most of fear was gone I opened my eyes and realized that actually my hands were not in the vitarka mudra :D

Sifu Terry,

You're doing a great service by keeping this thread going.

I've been doing FPCK for about a week and have been thoroughly impressed with the energy generated. One quick practice question: MUST all the seated meditations be done in half lotus? Is full lotus acceptable? For some reason I often find full lotus more comfortable than half lotus--perhaps it has something to do with stability.

• Like 1

Reading the above great experiences makes me go back to my own conclusion that it is not just the style of chi kung that one does, a big part of the kind of results one gets is due to who is doing the method. Meaning some people have less energy blocks than others and then the methods work as they are supposed to. Other people do the same chi kung method and get not much. You just never know.

• Like 2

Sorry but I don't get this..

If the chi kung method is designed to clear energy blockages, aren't people with more blockages the ones that should see the most of benefits?

If I have not flu and get some C vitamin I don't see any evident result for example

Edited by pitisukha

Sifu Terry,

You're doing a great service by keeping this thread going.

I've been doing FPCK for about a week and have been thoroughly impressed with the energy generated. One quick practice question: MUST all the seated meditations be done in half lotus? Is full lotus acceptable? For some reason I often find full lotus more comfortable than half lotus--perhaps it has something to do with stability.

Welcome Sploosh,

maybe this can answer your questions

That did answer them, thanks!

One other question: the DVDS say to avoid practicing within half an hour of having eaten food. Is this just because digestion would interfere with the FPCK energies? If one were pressed for time and had just eaten would it be fine to do the practice anyway?

Sorry but I don't get this..

If the chi kung method is designed to clear energy blockages, aren't people with more blockages the ones that should see the most of benefits?

If I have not flu and get some C vitamin I don't see any evident result for example

Good answer. There is another example: if someone who has not done any exercises and had bad diet starts doing some exercises and maintain proper diet then he/she will feel great improvements after sometime but people who are in good conditions will not feel much benefits out of it. But this is not all the way correct example as this is qigong and what we actually should consider as GOOD results in this case? That' what I actually wanted to clear out here before but no one could answer my questions rather than it is "qigong for health". If someone is already in good healthy conditions what are the benefits he/she should expect? Even better health? I felt better mood and better sleep, more clear mind and nothing more. No aliens, no ghosts no "astral projections". As I said earlier few times qigong is limited for itself. This is like voltage. You can not get more than 220 volts if the network has been designed for 220 volts. That' the actual difference between "post heaven" and "pre heaven" systems. That makes all difference. Even if it is said that a system has "celestial nature" or "heavens source". That could be "post heaven" reality. That' why traditional taoist scriptures stress the difference between post heaven and pre heaven ways of cultivation. It' very crucial. If someone teaches "astral projections" and meet aliens and other creatures you can be sure it is purely not traditional system in taoist "sense" but qigong which is only corrupt branch of the Tradition. That' why transmission from authentic teacher is so crucial here. You can try one qigong or another but all of them are limited. Period. Yes, it can give good results as better health or more clear mind or samadhi experience but it never will be the same as achievements in any traditional taoist system and will require more time and efforts for cultivations. These systems have different mechanics. So this is incorrect saying that all systems are the same and it depends on each person only solely. You can not get 440 volts from 220 volts network

Thank you for your opinion, can you give some examples of pre heaven ways?

Anyway I'm truly interested in tao stillness thoughts on my previous post! (and any other FP practitioner of course ;))

Thank you for your opinion, can you give some examples of pre heaven ways?

Anyway I'm truly interested in tao stillness thoughts on my previous post! (and any other FP practitioner of course ;))

Recently I had a chance to talk to a few people who have transmissions within authentic sects in China.

I was said that there are 2 ways of "pre heaven" cultivation: Neidan and Yangshengong.

First one is based purely on transmission and I only know what they start from - it is some sort of yangshengong practice which expel stagnant qi and nourishes yuan qi, and balances yin and yan in the whole body. This is preparation. After that they do alchemical practice which work with each organ step by step nourishing "life" - yuan jing. This corresponds with wu-xin theory. Transmission is must have for this otherwise there is some sort of Divine retribution they say. It has nothing to do with lucid dreaming or astral projections and it is not dao yin.

At this time here and there one can find dao yin or yangshengong at the best. The latter can nourish yuan qi a bit but it is limited in its benefits and it is to improve health and for longevity. Dao yin is used to open postheaven channels, smooth out energy flow and stretch limbs, improve body structure. It is akin to calisthenics. So you should not expect getting the same results from dao yin as you would get from "pre heaven" cultivation. In latter one health and longevity are not the goal but "side effect" of the practice which is practiced for spiritual goals. In this practice they do not use breath, visualizations, dao yin, thoughts and personal consciousness at all as method. I will be able to tell more later on.

Edited by Antares

after a long drive to SoCal yesterday which featured no practice other than breath work behind the wheel, this morning i did long form (vol 4) 23 min and midmorning MSW adv 2 vol 7 25 min ... lots of awareness of spinal energy rising and spreading along with good periods of y -> breath; qi -> movement/tempo...

peace all

23 min. to do the long form standing med of Vol.4. Nice, Charlie.

Let me know when you're in LA again. Come train anytime.

Best,

Sifu Terry

To Pitisukha,

A garden hose that has bends in it will not have the force of flow of water as strongly as a hose without kinks in it. There are many factors determining how individuals sense subtle energies. One of which is the work/gong that was done in prior lifetimes. DNA, lifestyle, stress, environment, etc. This is what I meant. I am not referring to benefits from chi kung. I am referring to the actual sensations going on during the practice. In other words, the current condition of the nervous system determines what kind of experiences one will have during the practice of chi kung. During an experimental course with a well know spiritual master methods were used which temporarily somehow bypassed or temporarily got thru the blocks of stress in the nervous system and I went into an Awakened state of higher consciousness for awhile. But this same powerful method of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras never again worked even after more than 30 yrs of daily practice. This is just my opinion and one of my experiences while on the path.

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 1