Yoda

Green tea vs Black tea

Monk's blend white is my favorite! :)

Yes, it is my understanding that white tea result in a more relaxed after-effect.

I have not drank it yet. I am still with coffee in the morning, black or orange tea in the afternoon and green in the evening. I am getting pretty good effects from that.

Peace & Love!

I've ordered white teas from Teavana and found them tasty but with a slight perfume aftertaste. Primarily I drink black tea in the mornings and green tea in the afternoons...I loves me some tea! :P

A good guide followed by Chinese/Taiwanese IMA guys:

1. Green tea in the morning

2. Pu-Erh tea after a meat-based meal

3. Iron Goddess Oolong tea during extreme summer weather

4. Oolong tea after completing an extensive training session.

I follow it too because this is an ancient tradition and I am only a Western grasshopper. :lol:

Edited: typo.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

... I'll also throw in some Vanilla extract, float some lime & lemons... Add a fruity wine like Merlot makes a very nice sangria.

Dude... you know how to live!

What has not been mentioned yet in this thread is the compound L-Theanine derived from green tea. It's an amino acid that has a very pleasant and effective anti-anxiety response that does not make you sleepy.

Here's an article on the subject.

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/articl..._anxiety_relief

We buy our theanine from The Vitamin Shoppe. Source Naturals seems to be the best deal.

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1686/

White Tea is less processed (than green or black) and has a higher theanine content with less caffeine. The taste is very subtle and may be an acquired taste for some. I would recommend getting only loose leaf, and not bagged. The bagged doesn't create enough space for the leaves/buds to expand (which is true for most teas, but especially white.) Different varieties are available (silver needle, peony, etc) and are priced according to quality of buds, harvest time etc.

i wonder if green tea extract capsules is just powdered green tea or a special extract that doesn't have the caffeine. if it has the caff then i don't want it, gives me tension and a headache.

Edited by Desert Eagle

can anybody recommend a very high quality green/oolong/black tea?

I have found tea ( any kind from camellia sinesis) really good at stopping dampness buildup especially during meals, but honestly i dont like the effects of the caffeine. However it just seems to work better then any other kind of herbal tea/drink I have found for the purposes of removing dampness.

can anybody recommend any other herbs/herbal teas for removing dampness (non camellia sinesis)?

thanks

Alexandrov,

Try doing it where you only steep for like 30 seconds. It makes it taste better and also you don't get the caffeine effects.

Any good (and in season) kind of oolong will work for this.

Jasmine tea is composed of Green tea and Jasmine flowers:

So, it would largely be similar to Green tea I would think.

I dunno about that, you might as well go outside and eat flowers. I ran out of my good stuff so had to settle for what I could find at the store here, and I picked up some jasmine green tea - disguuuuuuuuuuusting!!! I feel like I am chewing on a daisy drinking that stuff. :o

Yes, steep first and then discard for decreased caffeine. White is slightly less then green, but not as big a difference as one may think (15 mg vs 20 mg. for average cup).

I get about 8 steeps from most of my loose leaf green teas. Ranging from under 1 min to around 4~5 min for the last steeps. I like really weak tea with not a lot of color in the water.

I have some jasmine dragon pearl which is really nice and lasts for a lot of steeps (as does dragon well) The very nice snow water green cloud I have only lasts a few steeps.

Joeblast someone once posted that cheep green tea tasted like lawn clippings and I must agree, sometimes I'd rather just drink the hot water :lol:

Rainbow Vein,

Scotty and Alexandrov, I thought if you put the tea in for the FIRST 30 seconds, then discard the water. Then, steep normally. Caffeine is released initially. Can anyone confirm? Or, you could substitute white tea for reduced caffeine intake.

This is just my own way of doing it. Everyone should have their own way, right? :blush:

I add water (have a special temperature that I use with my kettle, just after you can hear the kettle begin to boil but not anywhere near the time when it starts to squeal) to dry leaves and within a few seconds, dump it out. Just to wash and open the leaves...then I wait a few seconds to let the magic happen. Patience is a virtue.

Then I add the water and wait about 20 seconds. I do a special thing, where I watch the water that spilled on the outside of the yixing pot dry...when there is no more wetness, it's ready. I pour it slowly, so that I can hear it trickle in the cup, so that adds about another 10 seconds or so.

Drink that cup...then repeat and do it for a little longer, like 30+10...

Towards the end, after like 5 cups, it's like a minute and a half wait time.

I despise any bitterness in tea...so this method is perfect for me. Just extracting the essence. With this way, I don't notice any wakefulness/jittery effect, to which I'm really sensitive. In fact, it relaxes me so much that it can actually help me fall asleep.

To each their own! :)

Huang Pu Zheng's poem about Lu Yu

(author of Cha Jing, The Classic of Tea; the translation appears to be literal and the lines are not really arranged grammatically, but I think they give nice snapshots)

Saw Lu Yu off to Pick Tea

Thousand mountains greeted my departing friend

When spring tea blossoming again

With in-depth knowledge in picking tea

Through morning mist or crimson evening clouds

His solitary journey is my envy

Rendezvous in a temple of a remote mountain

We enjoyed picnic by a clear pebble fountain

In this silent night

Lit up a candle light

I knocked a marble bell for chime

While deep in thought for old time.

kombucha, white tea and purreh are all good.

I tried also, dragon pearls. White pearls, black dragon pearls are also teh shiz.

RAW unprocessed, or unsmoked yerba mate too. Teh Shiz..

Edited by Non

Be careful with Green Teas as they can retain a lot of flouride and elemental fluorine from fluoridated water or soil.

And too much fluorine is obviously bad, but ANY fluoride (sodium fluoride) is bad.

So be careful with it, get organic or a good trusted source, preferrably imported from china too.

Hm I like rose white tea/green tea too, from china.

ANyway... white tea out of all the teas retain the least amount of flourine compounds, and green tea the most. I'd guess black tea somewhere around the middle.

I read somewhere that, if brewed green tea with fluoride will have concentrations higher than allowed by the FDA...

Personally I've decided Oolong is the way to go: has the benefits of both black and green without some of their less desirable effects. I also put matcha power into capusles (yes, how barbaric of me) to get the great nutritional benefits of that tea.

The place I get my tea from has a useful summary of the different benefits:https://www.tleaft.co.nz/ (Under'About tea" in the side bar menu).

Edited by altiora

Just come to Tucson and check out Seven Cups. It is THE BOMB.

http://www.sevencups.com/tucson-tea-house.php

Duh No I mean it like some serious Duh on that place right now. They have some of the rarest teas that are prefectly alchemical. I had the best vision while there of entering a three story tower and meeting others that could float at will through the structure. That was the only way to get to the higher levels was by floating up to them. Even now the experience ...returns?

For a couple of years I would do a pagoda meditation from visiting the seven teacups. Strong alchemy...