Dear Dao Bums,

I would like to ask you:

1) What has been the most physically strengthening and stretching qigong form you've experienced?

2) Which qigong forms would you recommend solely based on the physical strengthening and stretching aspect?

3) Which qigong forms would you recommend especially for physically strengthening and stretching the whole hip & groin area, as well the low back and kidneys?

I look forward to hear from you guys!

All the best

• Like 3

Hi Nuralshamal,

For physically oriented qigong exercises, I'd look especially into yijin jing and xi sui jing. The shaolin monks have been using them for many centuries to improve their skills, and a lot of other martial artists find them highly effective too.

Not least, these two sets of exercises are well known for their immune strengthening and general healing effects.

Cheers

Michael 

• Like 2

On 31.8.2023 at 12:59 AM, Michael Sternbach said:

Hi Nuralshamal,

For physically oriented qigong exercises, I'd look especially into yijin jing and xi sui jing. The shaolin monks have been using them for many centuries to improve their skills, and a lot of other martial artists find them highly effective too.

Not least, these two sets of exercises are well known for their immune strengthening and general healing effects.

Cheers

Michael 

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your suggestion!

I've been test-driving the forms the past couple of days... It's really great stuff!

Just from a few days I would already rank them in my personal "greatest hits" for physical forms :D

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 12:23 PM, Nuralshamal said:

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your suggestion!

I've been test-driving the forms the past couple of days... It's really great stuff!

Just from a few days I would already rank them in my personal "greatest hits" for physical forms :D

Where are you learning yijin jang from? Online or did you find someone in your area?

10 hours ago, EFreethought said:

Where are you learning yijin jang from? Online or did you find someone in your area?

Shi Heng Yi from Shaolin Temple Europe.

They also have a video here: 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 10:27 PM, Nuralshamal said:

Dear Dao Bums,

I would like to ask you:

1) What has been the most physically strengthening and stretching qigong form you've experienced?

2) Which qigong forms would you recommend solely based on the physical strengthening and stretching aspect?

3) Which qigong forms would you recommend especially for physically strengthening and stretching the whole hip & groin area, as well the low back and kidneys?

I look forward to hear from you guys!

All the best

I've been learning Dayan (Wild Goose) Qigong this weekend.

It probably ticks all the boxes in that it is physically strengthening and stretching. Feels quite nice to do in the morning to open up the body.

• Like 2

As a heads up, Robert Peng will be offering an online class in the Yi Jin Jing in the next few months.  There's a thread on the form elsewhere on the board.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

I've been learning Dayan (Wild Goose) Qigong this weekend.

It probably ticks all the boxes in that it is physically strengthening and stretching. Feels quite nice to do in the morning to open up the body.

Thanks for sharing!

Form looks awesome :D

8 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

As a heads up, Robert Peng will be offering an online class in the Yi Jin Jing in the next few months.  There's a thread on the form elsewhere on the board.

Thanks for the heads up!

I've read his book and he has actually held a course I attended in Europe a couple of years ago.

His book is awesome, it could be super cool to learn yi jin jing from him :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nahfets said:

This set is very physically demanding 

There are some serious stretches in that one!!! :D

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try it out for sure :D

• Thanks 1

On 07/09/2023 at 6:38 PM, EFreethought said:

I will look into another one they have that tells you when to inhale and when to exhale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f2ksP6S5gw

Interesting channel.

I get a weird vibe from him. I was part of his Facebook group for a while, and it was full of middle aged white women thirsting over him in every video.

He used to post everything for dana, but recently has become increasingly money orientated, charging up to a thousand euros for very basic jibengong spread out over the course of a year.

I unfortunately poked fun on FB about a form he was selling for €350 that was for 'enlightenment'. They booted me from the group and blocked me.

Honestly, I didn't find him a particularly good teacher or even a decent person.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

I get a weird vibe from him. I was part of his Facebook group for a while, and it was full of middle aged white women thirsting over him in every video.

Surely "middle aged white women" are fair game, character assassination hunting season open year round, and whatever they are involved in is automatically invalidated and compromised by their participation.  But what exactly does it mean -- "thirsting over him in every video?.."  Curious.  How do they go about it?    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

didn't find him a particularly good teacher or even a decent person.

oh teachers never are good or decent. 

49 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

a form he was selling for €350 that was for 'enlightenment'.

thats cheap in more sense than one https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/02/shaolin-abbot-under-investigation-after-sex-and-claims-surface-online

Official Website of Shi Heng Yi Shi Heng Yi Online Training https://www.shihengyi.online Shi Heng Yi 释恒義 belongs to the 35th Generation of Shaolin Masters 

i also dont understand what this means. How long is a generation? 50, 25, 10, 3 years? Were those generations learning online as well? Will learning online from him make me a 36 generation shaolin master? If not, what will it make me?
8 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

How do they go about it?   

(thinking...thinking...must ...be ...silent...)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

oh teachers never are good or decent. 

is this sarcasm?

9 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

thats cheap in more sense than one https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/02/shaolin-abbot-under-investigation-after-sex-and-claims-surface-online

i also dont understand what this means. How long is a generation? 50, 25, 10, 3 years? Were those generations learning online as well? Will learning online from him make me a 36 generation shaolin master? If not, what will it make me?

Honest answers only please.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Surely "middle aged white women" are fair game, character assassination hunting season open year round, and whatever they are involved in is automatically invalidated and compromised by their participation.  But what exactly does it mean -- "thirsting over him in every video?.."  Curious.  How do they go about it?    

Talking about how good looking he is, and making suggestive comments likw how they'd liked hands on tuition from him in future. Honestly I found it pretty inappropriate given he is supposedly a monk. At one point he actually had to release a statement telling women to back off. 

-- also apologies if you felt that was character assassination or you felt in any way implicated, but that was nevertheless overwhelmingly the demographic.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Apech said:

is this sarcasm?

certainly not! you see guv sarcasm is passive aggressive. and given that i am anything but passive....

14 minutes ago, Apech said:

Honest answers only please.

gee i donno they say genius skips a generation so ..say...37, 38...ish?

22 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

(thinking...thinking...must ...be ...silent...)

It's 20-30 years, earlier generations were closer to 20 (people had children earlier, and once they had their own children, they became a "previous generation" in the same family), nowadays in many countries it's closer to 30.  Let's take an average -- 25.  So 36 generations is 900 years.

Now then.  In spiritual and martial lineages, generations are counted if the unbroken lineage -- teacher to disciple -- is known and documented.  There may have been countless generations before, that's quite possible, but they are not taken into account when someone claims such and such generation in a lineage unless they are proven, either by direct or (rarely) very convincing circumstantial evidence.  E.g. I am a 13th generation Chen style lineage taiji practitioner (not "lineage holder" though -- there's a distinction I won't go into right now).  The lineage is unbroken for 325 years and I can recite the 12 generations that went before name by name.  If a teacher who claims to be 35th generation (of anything) can do likewise and it can be verified, his claim is legit.  If not, it's either made up or in any event shouldn't be made.   

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

So 36 generations is 900 years.

In 1641, rebel forces led by Li Zicheng sacked the monastery due to the monks' support of the Ming dynasty and the possible threat they posed to the rebels. This effectively destroyed the temple's fighting force.[24] 

bummer. their kongfu was stronger than the monks kongfu

12 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

they are proven, either by direct or (rarely) very convincing circumstantial evidence

errr, what can possible  constitute a direct evidence for 900 years?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

I don't feel I owe you an apology

Me neither.  It was you who wrote "apologies."  I merely quoted.  And I merely noticed that it's my favorite kind -- shifting the responsibility from words or actions one actually produced to the person who "felt" something in response.  I.e. "apologies for the way things are wrong with you," effectively.  

Sadly it has become a rather popular way to offer "apologies" from a place of _________ but I find it despicable.  Sorry if it makes you feel______. ;)     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

bummer. their kongfu was stronger than the monks kongfu

errr, what can possible  constitute a direct evidence for 900 years?

I reckon the British Royal fam could provide written evidence ... 1123 - 2023 ... but that would be exceptional.  I think most of these kinds of lineages include orally transmitted beginnings followed by certificates of authority.

• Thanks 1

There used to be a guy on here who claimed 27th in his lineage but when I asked him about it turned out his grandfather had taught him something and his family had lived in a certain part of Russia for that long so he just counted backwards.

• Haha 1