wandelaar

The Dao Trumps

2 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Would offering you a beer and listening to you vent count?

It sure would.  And I would likely add more intent into it than was intended..  I'm just that kind of guy.

8 hours ago, ilumairen said:

Would offering you a beer and listening to you vent count?

It will with me, what are we drinking?

On 10/30/2018 at 4:56 PM, Marblehead said:

Yeah, I miss those threads that Vmarco started in The Pit.  

All the other threads are open and available for discussions of Taoism, Spirituality and even Buddhism and Hindu beliefs.  The Trump thread applies to only the Trump thread.

A lot of folks are posting in that thread.  It is useful as it helps those communicating clarify their thoughts.  I don't expect to be able to influence Trunk, Ralis, or 3bob as to their beliefs.  But the discussions are none-the-less valid.

I agree on Vmarco... and Deci ... I'd welcome back.. to try again here.

I was contacted by a TDB friend who related the issue on O-G is that the activity and post views dominate the list.  I don't use these but seems others do.   My only option would be to ask Sean to not allow any O-G to go there, as individual prohibition would be too much customization.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marblehead said:

It sure would.  And I would likely add more intent into it than was intended..  I'm just that kind of guy.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:39 PM, dawei said:

I don't see anything turning the forum away from the main focus of Taoism and Spirituality.

OK, so someone I know rather well wrote me to disagree with this because they use the activity and post options and find it filled with O-G content as a major distraction.  For the record, I have never used these features as I just go to forums/sub-forums of my choosing.  But the members, even newbies may use it.

I think the only solutions is an all or nothing thing:  I can ask Sean to not allow any O-G (or maybe any private forum) to show up there.   Not sure of the level of effort to do that.  

So, the question is, what Trumps here... do you want to see new content, even if a tsunami of posts from one thread or not ? 

If it works to have OG hidden from "activity", that seems it'd solve the issue. I can imagine, if I were using the forum that way, that it'd make the place a lot more enjoyable and pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the OP, and including but not limited to the endless Trump discussion...

The social/political dimension is indeed a fairly low level of human existence. And I am (mildly) surprised too that a topic of that kind is so popular amongst the Bums - more than spirituality, cultivation etc.

On rare occasions, I may get political myself - temporarily and to a limited degree. But generally, I avoid getting involved with such things and at the most watch them from far away.

It's just not what I am here for (on this forum as well as on this planet).

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Thanks 2

Yes - that's my main problem, the large amount of posts on contemporary politics (and particularly concerning Trump) that show up in 'Activity' give the impression that this forum actually is mainly about politics no matter what the name and structure of the site might suggest. This might scare away new members and make old members reconsider whether this is still the appropriate community for studying and developing Taoism and spirituality.

I have no problem with Bums leaving the main room so to speak to discuss Trump in some back chamber. As long as it remains a side-issue it's OK. There are more than enough opportunities on the internet to discuss politics, so it need not even become more than a side-issue. However there is only one The Dao Bums and it would be a pity when it would lose it's main focus and value just because of the political upheaval around Trump.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

However there is only one The Dao Bums and it would be a pity when it would lose it's main focus and value just because of the political upheaval around Trump.

what happened to the idea that 

"

Supreme good is like water.

Water greatly benefits all things, without conflict.

It flows through places that people loathe.

Thereby it is close to the Way."

all who come to this site, are manifestations of the dao being expressed in and through 

any thread  commented on.   Like water keeping its true nature where ever it flows not avoiding 

not seeking.. 

Edited by windwalker
  • Like 1

A superior man can keep his cool whatever the circumstances.

Mere mortals have (in some measure) to arrange for the circumstances to promote their cultivation. As I said there are plenty of possibilities to discuss politics on the internet outside of The Dao Bums, but apart from the The Dao Bums there are very few possibilities on the internet to seriously discuss Taoism.

If you consider it a good thing to lower The Dao Bums to the level of the sewer by promoting the participation in and visibility of political discussions on Trump with the accompanying emotional uproar and fallacious reasoning that goes with it, than I can only hope that you won't succeed.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wandelaar said:

If you consider it a good thing to lower The Dao Bums to the level of the sewer by promoting the participation in and visibility of political discussions on Trump with the accompanying emotional uproar and fallacious reasoning that goes with it, than I can only hope that you won't succeed.

haha...

MU  

3 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

there are very few possibilities on the internet to seriously discuss Taoism.

Good awaiting your next thread doing so....

Nothing is preventing you.....

would it not be better to manifest it.

"He who knows (the Dao) does not (care to) speak (about it); he
who is (ever ready to) speak about it does not know it. ."

Edited by windwalker

Just now, wandelaar said:

You may have your fun, but I will not bite.

Actually I feel that some of thoughts expressed on this thread 

are very limiting in nature.  To limit what is and is not daoist 

seems antithetical to the core ideology expressed by 

what has been written about it. 

to every thing 

• Like 1

It's still summer here.  Yesterday the temperature got up to 93 degrees.

There's a prediction of rain for Friday and this time of year that would normally cool the temperatures.

However, the moisture us coming out of the South so for me that would indicate that it won't be cooling down much at all.

Turn! Turn! Turn!

Sure, turn around.  But watch your back while you are turning.

5 hours ago, wandelaar said:

Yes - that's my main problem, the large amount of posts on contemporary politics (and particularly concerning Trump) that show up in 'Activity' give the impression that this forum actually is mainly about politics no matter what the name and structure of the site might suggest. This might scare away new members and make old members reconsider whether this is still the appropriate community for studying and developing Taoism and spirituality.

I have no problem with Bums leaving the main room so to speak to discuss Trump in some back chamber. As long as it remains a side-issue it's OK. There are more than enough opportunities on the internet to discuss politics, so it need not even become more than a side-issue. However there is only one The Dao Bums and it would be a pity when it would lose it's main focus and value just because of the political upheaval around Trump.

That was nicely stated, thanks.   I'll reach out to Sean to see what can be done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There's a lot of interesting stuff in private forums, so I would rather not have those entries eliminated from the Activity list... but I would be just fine having OG removed, solely due to the current preponderance of political topics in OG. Some mornings there is just a solid page of TT/DT posts, and honestly, I find the amount of energy dedicated to that topic on a theoretically spiritual/Daoist/whatever board really depressing. 

I get plenty of info on that subject from other sources, and seeing it syphon so much energy from participation in other topics on this board is really off-putting. Of course I can't change that, but having it omitted from the activity list would be great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cheya said:

There's a lot of interesting stuff in private forums, so I would rather not have those entries eliminated from the Activity list... but I would be just fine having OG removed, solely due to the current preponderance of political topics in OG. Some mornings there is just a solid page of TT/DT posts, and honestly, I find the amount of energy dedicated to that topic on a theoretically spiritual/Daoist/whatever board really depressing. 

I get plenty of info on that subject from other sources, and seeing it syphon so much energy from participation in other topics on this board is really off-putting. Of course I can't change that, but having it omitted from the activity list would be great.

Yes, I'm asking for exclusion of OG only at this point.

• Like 4

I don't see any problem with the sub-forum itself.  It should be viewable by members only though, not the general public.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I don't see any problem with the sub-forum itself.  It should be viewable by members only though, not the general public.

It it only viewable by logged in members.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

It it only viewable by logged in members.

Okay.  Then I have nothing further to say about that.  (I might say something later though, Y'all know me.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, dawei said:

Yes, I'm asking for exclusion of OG only at this point.

I was able to do this on my own by subscribing to all the forums except OG and then creating a custom filter to show content that I have subscribed to. It's a bit of work to set up but it gets the job done. Anyone who really doesn't want to see OG content can already do that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For those wishing to not see off grid on their feed, you can customize your activity streams....

From the header, select Activity then Content Types...

5bdb148e4acfc_ScreenShot2018-11-01at7_55_16AM.png.56a8d388fcdc72bb4c4784e987230c6e.png

From the drop down menu, you can select the forums and sub forums you wish to appear in your new stream. After making the selections of what you wish to see, click apply changes.

5bdb148f74004_ScreenShot2018-11-01at7_55_44AM.png.2ffc1794f3c8cdff6cc70d33314c05c6.png

After applying the changes you are prompted to create your new customized stream. You may name it whatever you wish, on my stream Unread Content  was the default.

5bdb1732193a7_ScreenShot2018-11-01at8_04_35AM.thumb.png.9e5a6d350ee0ae510f7766af9d508459.png

You will find your new stream under My Activity Streams> Custom Streams.

U5bdb187868117_ScreenShot2018-11-01at8_14_40AM.png.85f5d52818f9efddd5e8c407658df91a.png

Navigate to your new Stream and then select the down arrow, it will now be linked to the forum unread content button that many of us use.

5bdb1b80a5f5e_ScreenShot2018-11-01at8_26_17AM.png.11f1629f5610ecabbd6ac8daa2e1c158.png

In testing this I set Off Grid as the only thing I wanted to see and edited the unread content heading to reflect that. The same can be done excluding forums and sub forums we want to adoid.

5bdb1c53f2a9b_ScreenShot2018-11-01at8_30_50AM.png.8632a72471865e3363f2973769858080.png

It does take some effort to avoid topics, but in the end if they that distressing the effort will be worth it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Done! Trump has left the building! :P

So if I understand correctly the new situation should than be that on visiting The Dao Bums one chooses:

Activity > My Activity Streams >  Unread Content

• Haha 1