Will

Is enlightenment really desirable?

534 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Gunther said:

It's not focusing at all. It's not an activity. You relax, rest in your natural state. It's passive receptivity, openess. In that clarity the old mind pattern are known. To know means to clearly see, be aware, nothing needs/can be done. That's càlled cultivation

So it seems that you are pointing to something like being in a shikantaza meditation? 

4 minutes ago, Gunther said:

It's not focusing at all. It's not an activity. You relax, rest in your natural state. It's passive receptivity, openess. In that clarity the old mind pattern are known. To know means to clearly see, be aware, nothing needs/can be done. That's càlled cultivation

It is so easy and yet so hard to do. Let the monkey mind be...it will settle down on its own. 

Sometimes people might need a taste...which can be done by sharing presence with someone who rests in the natural state. It’s like entering a zone where awareness can be but mind cannot move.  

Some folks here can help with it if people are having trouble abiding in the now.

2 people thank this

57 minutes ago, ljazztrumpet said:

Isn't it just semantics? Form the current way I view things, self-understanding = Buddha nature - Of course I am including Self-understanding along with self-understanding. The latter coming first, since you usually have to be 'someone' before you can be 'no one' ;-)

Hi Lex,

I am at peace with my present understanding of the concepts on The Void and Emptiness. It took me quite a while to be where I am now. I am aware that others may view these concepts differently. It is fine with me. I respect other views as each life is a road less travelled.

Is there a difference for you when it comes to - Self-understanding and self-understanding? If so, please share.

I share the same view - sequentially 'someone' comes before 'no one'. Why? I need to know what I have before I can throw anything away.

Sometimes I can find peace from the silence of being a nobody.

- LimA

1 person thanks this

5 hours ago, Gunther said:

Yes, but why call it cultivation?

Hi Gunther,

Cultivation? No particular inclination except that I need to use it as a word for communication.

I came across the term 'wuwei' when I was younger. Then I could not figure it out. But as I got older 'wuwei' becomes an important part of my life.

There was not a 'Aha!' moment for me when it comes to my embrace of wuwei. Looking back, my association with an apple tree helped ~ gradually and wuwei-lessly.

- LimA

2 people thank this

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi Lex,

I am at peace with my present understanding of the concepts on The Void and Emptiness. It took me quite a while to be where I am now. I am aware that others may view these concepts differently. It is fine with me. I respect other views as each life is a road less travelled.

Is there a difference for you when it comes to - Self-understanding and self-understanding? If so, please share.

I share the same view - sequentially 'someone' comes before 'no one'. Why? I need to know what I have before I can throw anything away.

Sometimes I can find peace from the silence of being a nobody.

- LimA

Hey Lima, when I refer to self-understanding I am talking about the ‘little self’ I take myself to be. The body/mind self-concept. With Self-understanding, with the big ’S’, I am referring to the idea that what I am, is all there is. No separation between any ‘thing’. I used to study teachings, go to satsangs, do nondual inquiry and meditations, to try and get an experiential feel of this. But, more recently, I found that giving up on that whole pursuit and pursuing developing qualities like love, compassion, kindness, humility, etc. is actually causing me to start really feeling those nondual ideas I used to only know about intellectually. 

12 minutes ago, ljazztrumpet said:

Hey Lima

Hey Lex,

You strike me as a free spirit that is always seeking... Keep it that way.

19 minutes ago, ljazztrumpet said:

I found that giving up on that whole pursuit and pursuing developing qualities like love, compassion, kindness, humility, etc

Don't give up on the 'whole'; just add on the good qualities like love, compassion, kindness, humility, etc.

Want to bet - you are becoming 'wholesome'? I know I will win.

- LimA

1 person thanks this

3 hours ago, ljazztrumpet said:

So it seems that you are pointing to something like being in a shikantaza meditation? 

you could say that if you dont define zazen in the orthodox way.(siitting down facing a wall)

what is sitting meditation?(zazen)

to rest with a relaxed mind is called sitting

abide in your natural state without confusion is called meditation

(check out Hui Neng, platform sutra)

Edited by Gunther
3 people thank this

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hey Lex,

You strike me as a free spirit that is always seeking... Keep it that way.

Don't give up on the 'whole'; just add on the good qualities like love, compassion, kindness, humility, etc.

Want to bet - you are becoming 'wholesome'? I know I will win.

- LimA

Hey LimA, thanks man..That sounds like a great plan!:)

13 minutes ago, Gunther said:

you could say that if you dont define zazen in the orthodox way.(siitting down facing a wall)

what is sitting meditation?(zazen)

to rest with a relaxed mind is called sitting

abide in your natural state without confusion is called meditation

(check out Hui Neng, platform sutra)

Right Gunther, that's how I was thinking of sitting meditation. I've spent some time studying zazen and meditating in those groups. But I tend to think of sitting meditation as just sitting in any comfortable position and allowing whatever comes up to come up without dwelling on it, judging it, etc.. Just observing what comes up like clouds in the sky. 

I do another type of meditation similar to Buddhist samatha sometimes where I follow the breath counting from 1 - 10 and returning to the count every time a thought comes in. But that, for me, is more about developing a focused attention. 

What gives me the most powerful results at this point in my life is to allow things to come up and to 'send love' to anyone/anything that comes up.. Doing this in formal meditation helps me to carry it over to my daily life and I can remember to do it in more and more situations as I go about my day/night.

3 people thank this