s1va

Prerequisites for enlightenment (if any)

ego coming undone is not the same as your truth coming undone - but its waking up

Right. Ego coming undone may lead you to your truth.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 3

Are you talking about meaningless revelations?

:huh:

not exactly, but in some sense... yes. Its such a fluid process, full of wonderment. Finding meaning, to me (i know others find it so vital) is putting a cap on the wonderment, and stems the flow somewhat. 

• Like 4

not exactly, but in some sense... yes. Its such a fluid process, full of wonderment. Finding meaning, to me (i know others find it so vital) is putting a cap on the wonderment, and stems the flow somewhat.

'Meaning' may mean something different to the self than to the ego. :D

I'd wager that the gradual approach(es) have more prerequistes than the non-gradual.

Edited by rex
  • Like 2

I'd wager that the gradual approache(s) have more prerequistes than the non-gradual.

I'm not sure what the so-called non-gradual approaches are, really. There seems to always be some kind of process leading to a peak, even though the latter may show itself all of a sudden.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what the so-called non-gradual approaches are, really. There seems to always be some kind of process leading to a peak, even though the latter may show itself all of a sudden.

Yes, we can only look at the example and illustrations outside, as long as we think and analyze with the mind.  Assuming the thinking faculty is necessary in some way to inquire and figure this out.

Why did Buddha get enlightened under that Bodhi tree on that day?  Why not, on the day when he saw the suffering and decided, I don't want to live such a life, I want to find an answer to this.  Why did he not attain nirvana right then and there?

If we were to give an answer to this question with mind, we have to agree it is a process.

• Like 1

Prerequisites for enlightenment.

Sounds like we need to turn the power switch to the on position.haha

The enlightened person is an ordinary person with concern for others and the environment in which we all live.

There is understanding of the human condition and our many vices and potential weaknesses.

Compassion love and kindness towards others to those in need or otherwise.

Non judgemental and respect of persons regardless of social standing.

There is selflessness without ego or need to nourish ego.

A spiritual life,of practice and interaction within the desired religious flavour one chooses.

Care for ones physical vehicle both in nourishment and activity.

A joy for life,so much so that others notice and identify.

Communication with others is effective and easy going without emotional dramatics.

Enlightenment is not a permanent condition,desires and stressful relations as well as drugs and alcohol,can very quickly change the situation.

Samsara is what it is,a state of mind devoted to desire,ruled by emotion and ego,pressure cooked by cash.

As a ninety eight year old,having lived a full lifetime anything is possible,let's just wait and see,but then again it is reserved ticketing system,just for that persons knowing or rebirth.

Anyway,that got to be worth 2 cents in the bowl.

Enlightenment has to be permanent at some level.  May not be at body+mind level.  If it is not permanent at any level, then as Om Swami writes on his book "Kundalini", it might be better to go smoke pot, rather than be on this pursuit.

• Like 2

Enlightenment has to be permanent at some level.  May not be at body+mind level.  If it is not permanent at any level, then as Om Swami writes on his book "Kundalini", it might be better to go smoke pot, rather than be on this pursuit.

After "enlightenment", one has to maintain the practices that helped keep one aligned in the right direction. The Buddha too meditated regularly after reaching his buddha-hood. All Rishis maintained their meditations/practices, the Daoist masters continued to practice daoist meditations, and so on.

• Like 4

After "enlightenment", one has to maintain the practices that helped keep one aligned in the right direction. The Buddha too meditated regularly after reaching his buddha-hood. All Rishis maintained their meditations/practices, the Daoist masters continued to practice daoist meditations, and so on.

Which ties in with the question if there is an ultimate enlightenment.

I doubt it. I believe that enlightenment has degrees, and the self is not limited in its growth towards universal consciousness, which is infinite.

• Like 3

It is not necessary to maintain practices "to keep one aligned in the right direction".

It is not a direction and one is no longer in the quicksand nor is it a case of hovering near it - it is not work and maintenance.

It is a delight to practice - and it will continue to help the body - as well as ease residual patterns.

The bodies goes through considerable change for many many years - the rest of ones earthly life.

Whole "new worlds" have opened up - not as in the sense of one traveling or in the sense of new vistas:

The bodies, all the vehicles, the immensity in peace have endless expansion - sitting in this is beyond words.

I am not relating bliss or a bliss state - which in wording would seem to be the same - it is far beyond this.

• Like 5

It is not necessary to maintain practices "to keep one aligned in the right direction".

It is not a direction and one is no longer in the quicksand nor is it a case of hovering near it - it is not work and maintenance.

It is a delight to practice - and it will continue to help the body - as well as ease residual patterns.

The bodies goes through considerable change for many many years - the rest of ones earthly life.

Whole "new worlds" have opened up - not as in the sense of one traveling or in the sense of new vistas:

The bodies, all the vehicles, the immensity in peace have endless expansion - sitting in this is beyond words.

I am not relating bliss or a bliss state - which in wording would seem to be the same - it is far beyond this.

You articulate it so much better than I do :)

• Like 1

May be, they did out of compassion.  To be an example to others.  People look upon masters (yad yad acharathi sreshta...), follow their action and not words...

• Like 1

May be, they did out of compassion.  To be an example to others.  People look upon masters (yad yad acharathi sreshta...), follow their action and not words...

That is one reason. Other is as spotless mentioned, imho. The joy of not-doing :)

• Like 1

Eventually meditation and life becomes one and the same.

Beyond being an example I am not sure why a Buddha would need to meditate.

Edited by Jonesboy
  • Like 5

Eventually meditation and life becomes one and the same.Beyond being an example I am not sure why a Buddha would need to meditate.

Excellent point. If meditation and daily life are different, then they are various states of mind, and one is by definition not a Buddha.

• Like 5

No one has responded (yet) as requirement, what many books & teachers advocate as the methods, or process that sets the path:

1)  karma yoga (state of effortless action)

2)  raja yoga/energy work.  (opened up, cleansed the nervous system)

3)  jnana yoga/ inquiry into his nature with discipline and dispassion

4)  surrender, practise of devotion/ bhakti yoga diligently

• Like 2

Excellent point. If meditation and daily life are different, then they are various states of mind, and one is by definition not a Buddha.

Certain aspects remain constant but differences are apparent within sameness. The wording of the above quote is too confined and extrapolates too far. I have a feeling it is not what you meant to convey.

One no longer loses oneself in daily life and finds oneself in meditation. The inertias of daily life do not pull ones inner presence away and we don't find ourselves driving a car and suddenly realize we have been unconscious for a bit - lost to somewhere else -

the hypnotic trance aspect is gone.

(I'm not particularly familiar with the definitions of a Buddha or the standardized tests - and do not consider myself in any category so my use of the word "we" was purely within the context of current awareness and appears to encompass what we are talking about from experience)

• Like 5

No one has responded (yet) as requirement, what many books & teachers advocate as the methods, or process that sets the path:

All of the above or which ever combination works best for you. IMHO, it eventually becomes all of the above.

• Like 4

Certain aspects remain constant but differences are apparent within sameness. The wording of the above quote is too confined and extrapolates too far. I have a feeling it is not what you meant to convey.

One no longer loses oneself in daily life and finds oneself in meditation. The inertias of daily life do not pull ones inner presence away and we don't find ourselves driving a car and suddenly realize we have been unconscious for a bit - lost to somewhere else -

the hypnotic trance aspect is gone.

(I'm not particularly familiar with the definitions of a Buddha or the standardized tests - and do not consider myself in any category so my use of the word "we" was purely within the context of current awareness and appears to encompass what we are talking about from experience)

I did pretty much mean what I said, but we may associate different meanings to it.  What I meant was that if one is meditating and somehow feels/sees it as a deeper (or different) state then how it feels (or the relative mental clarity), then they are talking about relative depths in mind/consciousness.  Or, you could say that one is creating various "states" or separation in mind.

It is all the same pristine clarity, whether stuck in traffic, or in the deepest meditation.  Another way to say it is that if you can feel energy or sense others, you don't need to go into some "quiet state" or meditate to do it. You just do it.  One is just "residing", not trying to meditate in deeper states.

• Like 4

I can relate to that Jeff and Spotlessin the sense of a being primarily radiating a lot pure energy instead of having to often take various energies in.  So if one is primarily radiating they are already in or near an instantaneous  state of being that in a way automatically deals with what is ultimately and only apparently outside them.   (like a localized matrix of light in an Ocean of light)

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 4

I can relate to that Jeff in the sense of a being primarily radiating a lot pure energy instead of having to often take various energies in.  So if one is primarily radiating they are already in or near an instantaneous  state of being that in a way automatically deals with what is ultimately and only apparently outside them.   (like a localized matrix of light in an Ocean of light)

I think your point of "only apparently outside them" is an excellent one and very important to highlight.  The inside and the outside become the same, and when that happens concepts of deeper states of meditation drop, as one knows it is all the same.

• Like 5

All of the above or which ever combination works best for you. IMHO, it eventually becomes all of the above.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this based on my experience (now).  One path opened(ing) up ways to others naturally became(ing) all.

I used to believe that it has to take a certain charted course or path.  In particular, I was hung up on karma-yoga, and strongly believed it has to happen early on the game, before others.  I went out of my way to find justifications for this on scriptures & talks, later blamed them entirely.  After all, it can't be my fault :)

Edited by kāvēri
  • Like 2

Desire is a prerequisite. 

Recently I was introduced to Fred the mouse. A mouse who was immortal. He had the internal spiritual markings of an immortal. (No lie!)

Did he desire enlightenment? Now that, I don't know.

:)

Edited by rainbowvein
  • Like 4

Recently I was introduced to Fred the mouse. A mouse who was immortal. He had the internal spiritual markings of an immortal. (No lie!)

Did he desire enlightenment? Now that, I don't know.

:)

Was he conscious?