thelerner

The first 3 steps to aligning with the Dao

Heck if I know.  Which is why I'm throwing it out.

What are the basics?   The beginnings?  

What are the first few steps on the journey to aligning with Dao?  Sitting meditation..  Reading the classics (which)..  Giving up concepts of duality?

• Like 6

Thou shalt do nothing self destructive

Thou shalt flexibly approach that which gives your life meaning and value , as you see it 

Thou shalt take it all with a graceful grain of salt ;)

• Like 6

A curious question, indeed.

What would be my 3 steps?

1. Forget all distinctions 

2. Specifically, forget meaning of self

3. Form a thought of all inclusiveness: Oneness

Here is my caveat.   If you're trying to cultivate this, then it won't be realized in this life time.   

• Like 7

1. Understand what the Dao is not

Understand what you are not

Become aware and let that which you are, and that which the Dao is, be 

• Like 5

Sit down, rest rejuvenate.

Shut up, the monkey mind.

Listen, to sounds of the universe.

Exactly!!

• Like 1

Wang Juemin said:

Remain calm

Be a good and moral person

Practice your​ qigong every day

• Like 7

Bumper sticker said:

Sit down

Shut up

Hold on

(Another one said "Ass, gas or grass..." but it seemed kinda rude.)

• Like 7

Bumper sticker said:

Sit down

Shut up

Hold on

(Another one said "Ass, gas or grass..." but it seemed kinda rude.)

Did you get the process mixed?  Isn't it:

Gas

Grass

Ass

Never mind.

• Like 3

Did you get the process mixed? Isn't it:

Gas

Grass

Ass

Never mind.

Aka wildfire
  • Like 1

Heck if I know.  Which is why I'm throwing it out.

What are the basics?   The beginnings?  

What are the first few steps on the journey to aligning with Dao?  Sitting meditation..  Reading the classics (which)..  Giving up concepts of duality?

The beginnings.

The journey with physical body.

The endings?

Did you get the process mixed? Isn't it:

Gas

Grass

Ass

Never mind.

You can remember it your way... ;)
  • Like 1

First learn Earth.  The element is stoic, strong, solid, patient.  Master these things, in sitting, standing; in motion and within emotions.  Know that within man, the earth element is close to the sexual.  Learn control and honest expression.   Earth is eternal and relaxed, contending with nothing, it lets things be.   

Aligning with the Dao.. what I get is learn from the 5 elements, learn from the seasons.  Learn how they shift into each other.  Know which to reflect at the proper time. Take your time, within each are a thousand lessons.  Notice how there patterns appear in all things.   Understand the building blocks yin, yan and neutral.   

• Like 7

Consider that everything you "know" will be transcended again and again until you know that you know nothing.

Consider that you change - and yet you look at others and things in the past as though you "know" them - in seeing them anew you see everything anew - you are becoming what you already are.

Consider the peacock - do not be taken in by yourself - do not puff yourself up as a rooster - or throw out a false image of yourself.

Find your bliss and follow into the wings within - investment in a false self is an investment in misery. In partnership with your body enjoy all creatures - all life - all earth - everything - look down on nothing - be gratitude.

• Like 7

Look back. Asking this question is proof that the first 3 steps had already happened. whatever they might have been for you.

Edited by words
  • Like 4

First learn Earth.  The element is stoic, strong, solid, patient.  Master these things, in sitting, standing; in motion and within emotions.  Know that within man, the earth element is close to the sexual.  Learn control and honest expression.   Earth is eternal and relaxed, contending with nothing, it lets things be.   

Aligning with the Dao.. what I get is learn from the 5 elements, learn from the seasons.  Learn how they shift into each other.  Know which to reflect at the proper time. Take your time, within each are a thousand lessons.  Notice how there patterns appear in all things.   Understand the building blocks yin, yan and neutral.   

I wonder why 3 not four or more? If you in earth why not laying down, especially is the earth element? What kind of control and how to to control? About control, how much control do you have when you drive turning in a corner, do you measure each side of the car not to hit the curb or another car. It seems to me is all about approximations not control. We don't even control ourselves but we pretend we control, some may manage life but don't control not even life. How earth is eternal and relaxed? My eyes don't see earth that way unless there is water to make the earth move, the fire that make earth explode and the air that makes earth dry. And how can you align with the Dao? Just wondering.

• Like 1

1. Activate your LDT.

2. Clean-haromnize your internal organs.

3. Clear / oppen your channels.

I wonder why 3 not four or more? If you in earth why not laying down, especially is the earth element? What kind of control and how to to control? About control, how much control do you have when you drive turning in a corner, do you measure each side of the car not to hit the curb or another car. It seems to me is all about approximations not control. We don't even control ourselves but we pretend we control, some may manage life but don't control not even life. How earth is eternal and relaxed? My eyes don't see earth that way unless there is water to make the earth move, the fire that make earth explode and the air that makes earth dry. And how can you align with the Dao? Just wondering.

Well.. gotta pick some number.. thought 1 too small, 5 too big.  4 is too pointy, so 3.  Though after 3, comes the forth. 

By Earth, I was thinking in terms of 1a :) .  First step taking time to learn the elements, how they're expressed in the human mind and through human activity.   Thinking that in the beginning, every action, every thought- can be broken down and understood in it's elemental/seasonal nature.

While I've studied a bit of daoist element theory, I've probably spent longer with Hermetics.  Western metaphysical system, particularly Rawn Clark's take on Franz Bardon.  Rawn has the Archaeous system- a series of lessons where you 'stack' the elements onto your body.  For example feet to waist (including hand to wrist) is earth.  Waist to solar plex is water.. etc.,  It's not just naming its putting elemental attributes within that area, feeling them there.

You explore the nature of the element.  Bardon has a couple of exercises breaking human nature, habits etc., into elements.  Admitted it does get personal but they're derived from how we experience the element.  In further lessons the Archaeous delves into the different levels of the body and mind but uses the same elemental coding to understand them. 

In decision making and understanding myself, I've found elemental theory to be excellent cypher.   It simplifies yet allows clear paths of interaction and change.

Like, um, anger.  If I'm angry then I lose earth, my stability.  I can destroy things, but not really build.  I lose the flexibility and calmness of water, yet to calm, I need water.. flexibility, life giving.  I could use other road maps, but element theory is an awfully good one. 

Thus to align better with the dao, to me means, knowing getting intimate with the elements and there interactions.  Seeing in my mood, thoughts, actions, as well as within nature, world events, what's going on in terms of element theory. 

• Like 3

Heck if I know. Which is why I'm throwing it out.

What are the basics? The beginnings?

What are the first few steps on the journey to aligning with Dao? Sitting meditation.. Reading the classics (which).. Giving up concepts of duality?

The best way to align with the Tao is to find a true teacher, start to listen and do practice. Without these things Tao will stay far away without any development.

You can practice smth but if you have no teacher or are not able to listen to then why will your practice be? You can have a teacher but if you don't listen or don't practice how do you plan to achieve results? You can have a teacher and practice but if you don't listen what will you practice?

Rgrds, Ilya