Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

2017 Year of the Fire Rooster - Please change logo

He looks a little cocky standing there like that.

Talk about not looking into the mirror :D

Edited for wrong grammar... my english sucks☺

Edited by taoteching99
  • Like 1

We would drive our dad batt shit crazy with all the animals we had in the back yard,mainly cause they would drop dropping around the back door.We converted the old outside toilet known as the dunny,into a pigeon cage,then we built a rabbit hutch with lots of white rabbits,one day we add a concrete pipe connected the hutch and the pigeon cage,sought of a slum zoo.

We would walk miles,leaving one suburb,reaching outskirts which adjoined our local creek,there were a few places we knew,so as to cross safely,then reach the outskirts of the next suburb across even broader fields to reach several locals who had set up home based chicken sales.We nearly always bought a new rooster each time,usually about three or four dollars would get you a rooster.

Sometimes the roosters we got were giant semi reptilian looking birds,other times we might get colourful or white or black ones.

Then one day we bought a bantam,this bantam was a real winner a pure bred Rosecomb Bantam,pretty sure we named it,not to sure,I think we called it 'The Boss',We had pigeons called the boss,but this was the first rooster we called 'the boss'.

We had several chicken which were never eaten,not until they were very old and stopped laying eggs,then they would be boiled and made into chicken soup.Mostly the roosters we kept them for a few weeks,then on a Saturday they would be prepared for Sunday lunch.No refrigerator,we used get those ice blocks that could last a week or so back then.So Saturday evening before dark job done.

'The Boss',as soon as we got him home just as we did with other roosters we threw him into the hen house,first he battled with the resident rooster all over in minutes then he strutted around for short while,then every chicken surrendered to him without fuss and just a few flutters of satisfaction.The Boss kept his title for many years,proudly strutting around surrounded by his harem.

• Like 3

I had a rooster we named Joseph due to his plumage, truly technicolor, it was due in most part to his heritage, I suppose. He kept to himself, Joseph with his amazing technicolor coat did. Refusing to enter the coop at night He preferred to roost in the lower branches of trees instead.

The local fauna began to whittle the flock, hawks by day, owls raccoons and foxes in the nights. Meanwhile Joseph remained aloof, on the outside looking in so to speak. Until that is this rather large red shouldered hawk showed an interest in one particular hen. Chicken for dinner was this hawks plan...But Joe had an interest too a romantic interest in the hen we came to call Mary.

The hawk had no sooner grabbed Mary in his or her talons than Joseph collided with the hawk full force! Surprise was on his side the hawk never saw him coming and feathers flew everywhere! Meanwhile the rest of the flock ran for cover while squawking to beat the band.

Joe and Mary became inseparable that day, Mary joining Joe in the trees at night forgoing the safety in numbers of the coop.

The predation continued despite the employment of electric fence dog etc. Until one day and only Joe and Mary remained.

The hawk attacked Mary again and again only to be thwarted by Joe, who once Mary was free would head for deep cover him self. To often I thought he wasn't going to survive that battle, yet I carried a bowl of water and one of food nearby where he was laid up.

He died protecting Mary an awful proud rooster to the end...

Mary didn't last a day, we figured her heart was broke and so she joined her bloke!

• Like 4

Well, damn!  Am I the only one who has noticed that there is a rooster present on the Dao Bums header?

Good, healthy looking rooster at that.

• Like 7

Sign in to follow this