Sign in to follow this  
3bob

what is the point of football?

one could be to give that other string a break... ;)

and if you don't like football there are lots of other alternative's for a Sunday afternoon -enjoy.

• Like 1

I used to enjoy watching the high level of competition.  The injuries were always a drag. 

The violence of it was always a turn off, but I looked past it for the fun of the competition.

I look at it now, if it's on tv when we're out at a pub and wonder how it ever held my attention the way it did...

• Like 1

speaking of violence one might wonder why certain Buddhist leaning countries and some their people get so involved with extreme martial arts like muay thai boxing (without pads or helmets)

then again better football or certain sports than getting into various types of trouble

speaking of violence one might wonder why certain Buddhist leaning countries and some their people get so involved with extreme martial arts like muay thai boxing (without pads or helmets)

hmnn, there not all Buddhists.. course there are Shaolin Monk and Zen lent itself to the Samurai ethos. 

Why Football

$$$ and fame. 

• Like 1

hmnn, there not all Buddhists.. course there are Shaolin Monk and Zen lent itself to the Samurai ethos. 

Why Football

$$$ and fame. 

Professional sports offer upward mobility for a few.

• Like 2

one could be to give that other string a break... ;)

and if you don't like football there are lots of other alternative's for a Sunday afternoon -enjoy.

The answer is best given by Robinson Crusoe in 'Fridays Island'   Friday's version of the story  in the chapter ' How I came to learn the game of football '.  (Its a book well worth reading ! ) 

They set some poles up either end of the beach, had a ball made of stuffed goat skins,  Friday got incredibly bored while 'Master' explained all the rules to him, what he was and was not allowed to do .... and what would be done to him, if he tried to do what was not allowed. Eventually Master kicked off, Friday observed 

and here is the answer to your question  ( the thread title ) 

....  he kicked the ball a little with his foot, chasing it and  giving series of little kicks, then he did a big one and the ball went between the posts. Then he jumped up and punched his fist into the air and yelled out  " YES ! " 

....  but then he turned around  " Friday !   You are just standing there, you didnt even try to stop or chase me ?"

"No , I didn't. But I watched you and saw what you did. I believe I have a better plan, and now, I also believe it is my turn to 'kick off' ?

"Oh , you did , did you ?   You have a plan have you?  Yes, it is your kick off lets see what you can do ."

Friday thought for a moment, rushed forward and kicked the ball, it sailed up over  Crusoe's head, through the air and came down right between the posts at the other end of the beach .   

"How on earth did you learn to kick a ball like that Friday ?  "

"Learn ?  I just made it up then . I  took my spirit and made it 3 parts,  I put one on my foot, one in the ball and one between the posts, then I just drew all three parts of my spirit together ."

"Oh ... you  did  you ?  This is football not witchcraft !  And I will thank  you to remember this is a now a Christian Island and while you are here, you will act as a Christian and play football properly ... and no more hocus pocus ... play like a Christian  ! " 

"It still counts though . "

"I suppose so , that one all, best out of three , my kick off . "

Friday now stands back from the line, Crusoe kicks the ball, Friday jumps up and grabs the ball with his teeth and starts running around with Crusoe trying to  catch him , he runs  between the posts and drops the ball . 

" Another goal, thats 2 to me I win ! "

"No you didnt you cant do that ! "

"And why not ? "

"Its football Man ! Not bloody teethball ... you cant do that in football. "

" Oh no .... I listened to every world  you said and every rule, I didnt use my hands or arms to grab the ball , I didnt do this or didnt do that, I even sat there and listened to your 'history of football talk' !   All the way through it, you never said anything about not using your teeth ! "

" Well, its just common sense Man ! For God's sake, no one uses their teeth when playing football ! "

" Common sense !      Common sense ?  None of this is common sense  !    ...... two men running up and down between two lots of sticks  on a beach with a ball made of goatskin ? "

:D

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 5

Buddhist leaning countries   ?    :unsure: 

Buddhist leaning countries   ?    :unsure: 

Yes, those are countries where the Buddhists stand, leaning to one side or another.

• Like 2

A point to football?

We need a point to football? :lol:

Go Vikings!

Go Hawks!

:) :)

• Like 1

Yes, those are countries where the Buddhists stand, leaning to one side or another.

Ohhhh ... the lazy Buddhist countries  .  Gotchya . 

• Like 1

...and Denver won out in a tough place to boot, thanks to the football gods.  (who btw. work overtime in the remote healing arts for banged up players) 

football is ridiculous. I would prefer to read a book.

I go to football to watch half time program....music and marching,

its time for rest now. :glare:

I will have to review robinson Caruso

that was a lot of healing typing

Edited by sagebrush

What is the energetic cost of football? :)

Someone could also ask, what is the energetic cost of not playing in the NFL? The answer is: millions of dollars each year.

cannibalism in the Friday island  story---does not look restful at this particular junction.

I might be squeamish tonight. I will re read the cliff notes or synopsis or whatever it is called..summary...

My alma mater is 'The Ohio State University' where football is higher than religion. I was born with scarlet and grey blood. :lol:

• Like 1

There are relatively few majority-Buddhist countries, but those few aren't actually known for their peacefulness or equality or prosperity. Places like Bhutan, Myanmar, and Cambodia are relatively recent democracies with debatable legitimacy and poor human rights records; Sri Lanka was hit by civil war until fairly recently; most majority-Buddhist nations are ranked low on the Gender Gap Report; and in many, environmental responsibility is overshadowed by other concerns (Cambodia's environment is getting totally fucked).

My point being, just because a place is nominally 'Buddhist' doesn't mean the government or the masses behave in a respectably Buddhist way. The USA is supposedly majority-Christian, but they love to kill shit. For example.

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this