Junko

The origin of mankind

I do not know the period this painting came from, but as I look at the more toned figure, especially around the middle, it tells us what was seen as feminine then. I noticed the firmness of the body and arms. What is interesting is the suggestiveness of the maiden's own hair covering her vagina. There is a suggestion of shame and senuousness.

The lady next to her is small in breast as is the main figure and as is the female being carried by the male angle (wings). The lady in the blue dress appears larger than the other two females with toned muscles and a matronly look. She is trying to cover the main figure with a robe as if she were special. The shell suggest a pearl which is something well sought after.

The male angel appears to be straining under the weight (face and...air coming out of his mouth). All four women have peaceful appearances. All the legs of the figures are smooth as if a statuet...manikin like.

The angel's rider is barely hanging on which suggest that the angel is holding her very tightly. She feels secure in his arms.

Aphrodite ....  or in Nungalise ; ' Venus on the half shell.'   The myth of her birth reveals the symbolism in the painting . 

http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/BirthAphrodite.html

Edited by Nungali

Please explain.

Actually, a fascinating subject -  ethnobotany.     Not only have we , by developing and interfering with many plants (and animals ) to make them what they are today ... the plants have also contributed to make us what we became and are. 

http://botanicaldimensions.org/what-is-ethnobotany/#/0/11

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Maybe there was a huge, gigantic human on this plant before.....became foods...

The painting strikes me as depicting the feminine dilemma of wanting to be freely passionate , find her angel , but also has concern about the issue of becoming emprisoned by marriage and pregnancy... so The three redheads are actually visions of the same person.and the origin story is a vehicle for another message.... but it doesnt literally Say that, so...

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2

Back to the topic:

"There is strong evidence that human beings evloved from basic early molecules. Those molecules were formed from the gases and birth processes of the stars and planets. Those stars and planets were in turn formed by the first movement of the universe. That first moment of the universe came from nothingness. So we are the crest of a certin vave of evolution.

Narrowing it down to the human situation from the cosmic, our minds represet the ultimate expression of who we are. Further, spirituality is the ultimate expression of the mind. One might say, therefore, that spirituality is ot a belief, mental construct, or opinion. Rather, it can be considered a function of outgrowth of evolution.

If spirituality is simply a function of life, the edge of a cosmic ripple, then where is it going? We don't know. Like the universe, it is still expanding into unknown territory. We can decide to cooperate and go with the wave, or we can ignore our spirituality and thereby ignore one of the basic meanings of being human. If we choose to engage in the full process of being human, then we will truly fulfill our part in the universe's evolution." (365 Dao, pg. 207)

Sure, we all are star stuff.

Mankind, I think, would include the concept of being humane.  Many of us are not there yet.

Before the beginning of years

There came to the making of man

Time, with a gift of tears;

Grief, with a glass that ran;

Pleasure, with pain for leaven;

Summer, with flowers that fell;

Remembrance, fallen from heaven,

And madness risen from hell;

Strength without hands to smite;

Love that endures for a breath;

Night, the shadow of light,

And life, the shadow of death.

And the high gods took in hand

Fire, and the falling of tears,

And a measure of sliding sand

From under the feet of the years;

And froth and the drift of the sea;

And dust of the laboring earth;

And bodies of things to be

In the houses of death and of birth;

And wrought with weeping and laughter,

And fashioned with loathing and love,

With life before and after

And death beneath and above,

For a day and a night and a morrow,

That his strength might endure for a span

With travail and heavy sorrow,

The holy spirit of man.

From the winds of the north and the south,

They gathered as unto strife;

They breathed upon his mouth,

They filled his body with life;

Eyesight and speech they wrought

For the veils of the soul therein,

A time for labor and thought,

A time to serve and to sin;

They gave him light in his ways,

And love, and space for delight,

And beauty, and length of days,

And night, and sleep in the night.

His speech is a burning fire;

With his lips he travaileth;

In his heart is a blind desire,

In his eyes foreknowledge of death;

He weaves, and is clothed with derision;

Sows, and he shall not reap;

His life is a watch or a vision

Between a sleep and a sleep.

- Swinburne.

• Like 2

From what I read man has put together stories of how this earth and man was created e.g. The Story of Creation in the Bible, The Japanese's Shinto, Korean creation myths, Babylonian creation myth etc. The scientist and anthropologist are getting closer to discovering the truth. I think it is a matter of evolution.

Can we say creating life in a peti dish is any more religious, spiritual, or holy than life being created in the womb.

Creation myths are not supported with evidence.  The scientists try hard to have evidence before they present their theories.

Yes, all life is special. 

Right now humans are at the top of the food chain on land.  The Great White has that role in the oceans.  At one time Dinosaurs held the position that humans currently hold.

Does that make us better?  Well, we can say we are smarter.  Or not.

My husband gave me a idea.It's a comet which brought life to our planet. This is interesting.That could be.....

Edited by Junko
  • Like 1

My husband gave me a idea.It's a comet which brought life to our planet. This is interesting.That could be.....

This is how it is believed life may have started on Earth, just like a seed eventually lands on a suitable piece of fertile soil. The question then moves to how the comet developed life and that would suggest life exists everywhere in a simple bacterial/viral form and develops new varieties on a suitable host planet. Amino acids are the key to life within the DNA structure which suggests life is one more element being created within the universe.

• Like 1

I resonate with Alan Watts' ideas on this topic.

We have this feeling that we come onto the Earth from somewhere, when in fact we come out of it.

Just as an apple seed is of the nature that gives rise to an apple, the Earth is of the nature that births all manner of living and sentient beings. 

We humans feel like we are different and special in some way, and we certainly are, but for me there is no compelling reason to think that we are anything other than a naturally occurring organism that is a part of Earth's biosystem.

We are the eyes and ears of the Earth, we are the sensory organs through which all of the beauty of the universe becomes manifest.

That's more than enough of an explanation for me. 

• Like 2

This sounds like the superman story to me.

I saw a facinating documentary on how it is that oxygen was created here on Earth. I think it was the History Channel. Anyway, all that we are made of as humans, we can find out there. We are all connected.

• Like 1

From what I read man has put together stories of how this earth and man was created e.g. The Story of Creation in the Bible, The Japanese's Shinto, Korean creation myths, Babylonian creation myth etc. The scientist and anthropologist are getting closer to discovering the truth. I think it is a matter of evolution.

Can we say creating life in a peti dish is any more religious, spiritual, or holy than life being created in the womb.

No, because no one  has created life in a peti dish   .... or  even a petri dish ....   NO     ONE  . 

... and actually  'life' isnt even created 'in the womb' . 

Isnt that just 'passing the buck' ?   Who made us ?  .... God .  

Who made God ?  ..... some other God. 

How did life get on the comet ?  It came from another planet . How did that planet get life?  It came from another comet. 

Its turtles all the way down . 

However it is an an interesting idea and seems to fit in with some Australian creation myths  ( Wallenganda - black snake - Milky Way spits 'water' down on to Ungud  - carpet snake/rainbow serpent - earth serpent  who takes it underground . 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2520656/Did-life-begin-underground-Microbes-MILES-surface-similar-lived-3-5-billion-years-ago.html

I resonate with Alan Watts' ideas on this topic.

We have this feeling that we come onto the Earth from somewhere, when in fact we come out of it.

Just as an apple seed is of the nature that gives rise to an apple, the Earth is of the nature that births all manner of living and sentient beings. 

We humans feel like we are different and special in some way, and we certainly are, but for me there is no compelling reason to think that we are anything other than a naturally occurring organism that is a part of Earth's biosystem.

We are the eyes and ears of the Earth, we are the sensory organs through which all of the beauty of the universe becomes manifest.

That's more than enough of an explanation for me. 

Wonderful !    That sounds like the spirituality I have been learning from the indigenous  :) 

' I came out of the earth, I am a man from country * .  When I die, I go back to earth. ' 

( * The land area one's 'tribe' ) 

9781922059949.jpg

• Like 3

This sounds like the superman story to me.

I saw a facinating documentary on how it is that oxygen was created here on Earth. I think it was the History Channel. Anyway, all that we are made of as humans, we can find out there. We are all connected.

Oxygen was created on Earth ????   

Surely you mean " How oxygen  (O2 ) was isolated or  levels  increased on earth ? 

• Like 1

No. I mean they actually showed how oxygen was created and became a bubble under water and was released into the atmosphere of Earth as oxygen.

• Like 1

Yeah, how it was formed  to become our O2 . It was there all ready,  locked up in compounds in the first place . Oceans dont create elements

..... do they ? ? ?  :wacko:

Yeah, how it was formed  to become our O2 . It was there all ready,  locked up in compounds in the first place . Oceans dont create elements

..... do they ? ? ?  :wacko:

Early Earth had little oxygen.  Not enough to support any oxygen breathing life.

The first life on Earth was plant life that photosynthesized the sun's energy.  It breathed CO2 and exhausted O2.  This oxygen initially caused lots of rust.  The oceans and the skies became rust-red.  Eventually the rust settled to the ocean floor and the earth's land surfaces.  Oxygen then became purer and allowed for the evolution of animal life to evolve.

• Like 2

So it must be water...water somehow got created.

Yes, on this planet water is the source of all life.  Science calls life on Earth "water-based life".

Elsewhere in the universe there may be life that is other liquid-based life.

• Like 1

We human consist about 90% of water as well.

More at 78% for infants and 58% for adults but you are on the right track.