MooNiNite

How does a sage support himself/herself

Those that devote their lives to spiritual enlightenment through meditation,

How do they support themselves?

How did Bhodhidharma support himself?

What about Milarepa?

Jesus/Buddha supported themselves through teaching others. 

Must a great yogi be a teacher also?

The basic support for the sage comes from donations, alms, charity, whatever you want to call it.  For the sage to support themselves through paid employment is inefficient use of their time, it goes against the Tao and therefore is not seen in the highest examplars.

To some this may sound vulgar, but spiritual wisdom IS a commodity.  Donors give because they are getting something valuable for their soul in return.

When the sage has developed enough wisdom, they won't find they bodily needs hard to meet.  

• Like 1

Clothed in the finest robes of non-conceptuality;

Nourished by the sweet, sustaining nectar of bliss;

Abiding within the vast, open spaciousness of clarity;

Cured of all the afflictive emotions inhibiting liberation;

Such is the simple life of the self-awakened yogin.

12193452_10206406290533903_3957686115899

(p. Ladakh)
  • Like 6

If every one was a monk who would fill their alms bowls?

Without common folk, where would you gain a favorable rebirth from?

Why would someone whom can manifest fishes and loaves need to work?

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

they can do whatever the spirit moves them to do, more or less in the public or behind the scenes without much interaction with the public.

• Like 2

If we are to take Lao Tzu at his word in this translation of chapter two of the TTC, then every action, including working a (paid) job/career, will allow the sage to transmit the Tao (to colleagues, customers).

I would count this as no more or no less "efficient" use of her/his time.

I would agree with this. Some might be beggars, others work.  Living simply and cheaply, finding  part time jobs that gets them enough to get by.  Or not, they have real jobs in professions and do heavy duty study and meditation in the other 16 hours.   On the third hand getting a job teaching or working in a career where meditation and/or esoteric arts are the basis.

There is also working hard, saving, having a family and at 50 or so, retiring and living out ones vision after the familial and societal responsibilities are over.  

• Like 1

It doesn't sound "natural" at all to me not to voluntarily wish to participate at some job, some cooperative effort. Nor does it appear to me that being a hermit or beggar has anything to do with "blending in" .The sage may take his job lightly , and without high aspiration , but that doesn't mean he or she would be in attentive or irresponsible.  

• Like 2

some of the most sagely people I met would not fit in to our society at all, at all really (I thought about it couple of times actaully)-

well if not for teaching dharma, that they could do but they are not interessted in building dharma centers and having many students either

actually they wouldn't wan't to fit in either, and there is no need to fit in and be "productive" if you don't really have to

two of my main teachers don't seem to have more then two robes (lama jigme would after ten days of teaching, turn his stained button down shirt inside out and wear that for another 10 days...) - the "room" they live in would be considered a dumb by most people who think to "fit in" is a great thing to do - yet they are among the most happy kind loving blissed out beings I met in my life and not one single action in my 5 years of being with them contradicted the teachings of the Buddha - hence they have food, they have water, they have warmth not much outer comfort but you know if you have inner comfort who needs outer comfort?

yet I met other sages who have thousands of students all over the planet and wear very nice cloth and write very wonderful books

I do love the rough yogis though, because they challenge me more in a way - I tried to life like that in india for a time, and I just don't have the capacity to do it, so sitting with them, seing how they life is already a teaching, already a reminder that there is no security and no need for security (does that make sense?)

Edited by RigdzinTrinley
  • Like 5

Misconception. Do you think a man that attained enlightenment is practising mediation all day long, and for living is confusing people mind with a teaching.

Been to a home of a taoist in China.  A very spacious apartment, very nice, tastefully decorated, Western style.  He noticed my look of appreciation and asked, "do you like my apartment?"  "Yes," I said, "very much."  "Well," he said, "it's not mine.  My younger brother, a successful businessman, found employment abroad and let me move in his place."  Then he chuckled and added, "I lived like that all my life.  Never owned anything, always had everything."  He's about 70. 

The tao provides if she likes you?.. :)  

• Like 9

Well, if you really are a sage , supporting yourself is easy .  You should be able to manifest it.  One way or another.

< Looks around own environs > ... yep, just like I imagined it should be, years back when I was still 'in training' . 

And Taomeow, very true ... I possess  /  own  none of this  ...  but I have yet to see how that has impacted on my enjoyment and usage of it all ... even when the State tried to take it from me ... they lost the Supreme Court case  ...  they went for me personally ... but owning nothing, what could they grasp ?   The state ( or here ... the 'Crown' - prosecutors )  were livid .... living the 'high life', not working, pristine riverfront property, large acreage, abutting national parks and world heritage areas, views of waterfalls etc ... they protested in court ....  your Honor ... they dont even have a mortgage and live on $30 a week contribution !  (Huff ! )

His response was " Yes ... they managed their company very well didnt they ! "   ( I think he was a sage too  ;)  ) 

As far as you last comment ... as you know, I know little about the Dao .... but, in the words of my Indigenous shamanic teacher;

"You want something, you just ask mum  ( 'mother nature' ), she will take of you ... if you treat her right. We been doing that, and she looked after us, giving us all we wanted and needed ... for over 40,000 years . "

Yep, he is right .... I know, because I do that .... and it works .

Make offerings, and have unending gratitude to her.   Preserve and maintain her special places ... and making a little shrine for her 'helpers'  is a nice thing to do too ! 

tumblr_m1p0zi2S071qc3j1s.jpg

And remember to say  ....

Booglebear !   - thank you .... I appreciate it ! 

Ngarrindjeri-ceremony-006.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

Been to a home of a taoist in China.  A very spacious apartment, very nice, tastefully decorated, Western style.  He noticed my look of appreciation and asked, "do you like my apartment?"  "Yes," I said, "very much."  "Well," he said, "it's not mine.  My younger brother, a successful businessman, found employment abroad and let me move in his place."  Then he chuckled and added, "I lived like that all my life.  Never owned anything, always had everything."  He's about 70. 

The tao provides if she likes you?.. :)  

I always feel bad borrowing from people. Or needing something from them.  

House sitting is different however, many people get paid for it. 

Is it possible to "support" oneself?

Does this mean living accomodations? Access to food?

Isn't the Earth our accomodations?

What is "food"?

Is it a product - or is it the part of the environment we put through our internal processes?

Wouldn't a "sage" be able to figure this out?

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

The same as everyone else; He gets his ass up at 7 am for the hour long commute or else he gets screamed at by his boss.

If this is truly the path for you- the "universe" (add whatever works for you) provides

Synergy, coincidence, it all works together to provide

If you are happy with little, and every bit is appreciated- it works

I've lived that way for the last decade

Full time + cultivator.

If it doesn't come together nicely- without force or push- then it is not the path

If it becomes increasingly problematic- It isn't for the participant

But kudos for at least trying.

• Like 1

The same as everyone else; He gets his ass up at 7 am for the hour long commute or else he gets screamed at by his boss.

No way !  

You will never approach sageship   ... ( sageship ?  :wacko:  )  ... like that. 

Allow me to demonstrate, from my past experience.   

I awake around 4:30  ( at my bosses house, where I was staying )   , naturally ... bing! - wide awake and refreshed. Do some stuff, have a shower and get ready ... do a few things to get prepared that we will need at work. Boss wakes up, tired grumbling and groaning ... I make him coffee while he is in shower. Eventually we make it to the car, and he tells me to drive. he also ells me which way to go, but I ignore him, choosing my route and avoiding 'unforeseen' problems.  This time of day, there is little traffic on the road.

During the day, we scream at each other.  Sometimes he shoots me  ( with a high powered sucker dart handgun one of the Unit guys plays with )  .... once, he yelled at me too much so I got annoyed ... he is yelling to me to help him lift something and saying "Where are you ? Get back to work you bastard! "  The Unit Guy is watching and I am on the other side of a besa block wall (with holes cut out of it )  I put the dart hand gun through the wall and the barrel an inch away from my bosses unaware head. The Unit guy is miming ' NOOOO !'  and waving his hands 'dont do it'.

I look away and  .... BLAM!  Point blank .

Then I ran ..... Unit guy advised me to hide out in his truck and smoke a  joints with him for a while.

Then I go back to work .... boss is   <_<    "I'll get you for that, when you least expect it."

That is how 'the sage' deals with work .    ;)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2