BaguaKicksAss

What would you tell a student?

Less kuchiwaza, more mat time.

kuchiwaza was my teacher's term for tongue technique,

used many times when students would wax philosophical.

Which in my case tended to be often.

&

I like to say the word kuchiwaza

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

I would make sure that the fundamentals of whatever practice being taught are sound. Present a practice routine that the student can take home and work on for years to come. Present the why we do it this way as opposed to my way or the highway. Present a list of troubleshooting items to watch out for as the student progresses with the practice. Stress the importance of plugging away at a practice, just doing it continually, every day. I think a lot of people want to be handed the juice, but they don't want to learn what a practice involves.

• Like 1

I'm not a teacher but...

I would show them the fundamentals of the system of neigong I practice so they could continue practicing, and I would tell them three things:

1) Remain calm

2) Be a good & moral person

3) Practice your qigong every day

• Like 2

I suspected you would make a good teacher.

Bless BKA

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Thank you Chegg :). My students seem to think so (I tend to explain things in ways which make difficult to understand concepts really easy to grasp.

And if the student is sincere, I'm not nearly as cranky as I make out to be ;).

• Like 2

A couple of folks said they aren't teachers... however we are all teachers at some point, even if we don't mean to be, even if it is just some words of encouragement.

Also some folks find themselves teaching because they live in an area where there are not anyone who is more qualified, so they teach some stuff... of course letting the students know they are newer at such things.

Well then there is also planning for the future (to allow for my hypothetical example to work :D).

• Like 1

I'll teach a couple of Mopai levels, I'll recommend to write on taobums about their visionary experiences and complement that with quotations from The Magus of Java and The Lord of The Rings.

Then, I'll teach that women are evil and they want to get sexual energy from males.

If time allows, I'll prepare some weird theory about the dan tien as the center of the cosmos and the chakras spinning around as planets.

For a couple of them, I'll set a non-duality philosophy so that they can challenge dzongchenpas and vedantins on the board.

But the MOST important teaching beyond words, will be a secret for everyone

post-19224-Fuck-This-Fuck-That-Fuck-Thos

:D :D

:D

but remember- ALWAYS IN FULL LOTUS!

• Like 1

let me see your last year's tax statement and bank statement pronto!

-- just kidding :P

That sounds like the what to ask a teacher thread ;). That would be very telling!

• Like 1

"I'm going to try to hit you. See if you can prevent me from doing that."

student goes off to ring the police :D

• Like 1

actually that's one of the best things you can do is give someone some sparring experience. Learn by doing! You should attack your student mercilessly! Then play these games:

You attack only, they defend only

You defend only, they attack only..

get creative.

get sweaty

get krump!

Keep training!

Take it easy one step at a time dont over do it.

Listen to your Sifu!

With correct authentic practice you will know it all in time anyways. ;)

Edited by thamosh

The what would you ask a master thread gave me the idea for this thread.

So just say that for some reason someone thought that you in particular had the info/experience/teachings that would most benefit them. Then say they spent a few months salary to get to you somehow (and/or pay for your teachings if you charge).

Further just say they weren't the type to ask questions, even when prompted.

There is also a good chance you will likely not train them more than this one trip. So you want to make sure to get the info across to them that you think would benefit someone the most.

What would you tell them?

What would you teach them?

Awareness

The what would you ask a master thread gave me the idea for this thread.

So just say that for some reason someone thought that you in particular had the info/experience/teachings that would most benefit them. Then say they spent a few months salary to get to you somehow (and/or pay for your teachings if you charge).

Further just say they weren't the type to ask questions, even when prompted.

There is also a good chance you will likely not train them more than this one trip. So you want to make sure to get the info across to them that you think would benefit someone the most.

What would you tell them?

What would you teach them?

I'd pass on Kurt Vonnegut's unassailable words of wisdom distilled from his 80 years of life's experiences :

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."

• Like 3