chegg

Poll: Why do you keep visiting the Taobums website ?

Poll: Why do you visit the TAO Bums website ? (multiple selections allowed)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you visit the TAO Bums website ? (multiple selections allowed)

• To relieve my boredom
    • I was brought here by hidden forces
    • I'm a taoist and this website suits my interests
    • I'm not a taoist but this website interests me
    • The people here are interesting
    • The topics are interesting
    • There are no trolls on these forums
    • I want to get enlightened by using the information posted here
    • I come here for entertainment purposes
    • I hate taoism so I come here to disrupt the flow of discussions
    • I'm spiritually challenged and this website helps my developement
    • I'm mentally challenged and this website resonates with me
    • I'm addicted and dont have anywhere else to go that'll have me
    • I'm a master troll and I can troll you all seemlessly without you even knowing it
    • I dont believe in any of this rubbish but I'm interested to see what makes you all tick
    • I want to heal myself or receive a healing
    • I come here for no particular reason
    • I want to help my fellow human beings
    • People here that 'cultivate' might make more sense and be LESS sensitive and 'indignant'

I will add my opinion that internet relationships are no substitute for real contact in 3d physical realm.

We still in middle earth.

I too readily adopt the habits of a monk.

I don't even think I like being a hermit.

And though Hard Wait be Mantle mine,

Still Karma Dharma be armour Divine.

But Captain, Sir, here at TTB we can ignore someone we don't like. Can rarely do that in real life.

I looked at a few other Tao forums but they were either filled with combative posts or members only posted once in a blue moon.

I like the array of different world-views here and there are (comparatively speaking) very few self-declared experts. Most posters, I think, are quite humble.

The thing I like most about this site is Marblehead's chapter by chapter discussions of the Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu. Reading everyone's opinions and ideas is better than reading any single author commentary!

• Like 10

Isn't it nicer to say what you do like, rather than what you don't?

I was going to say something dumb, like I often do, and I grimace and think jeez what must people think of me etc.

But I am trying to be honest, and I think I post not to bring benefit to myself so much as others.

But I cannot consider myself a teacher, but a fellow experiencer, hopefully looking to clarify his understanding.

Goodness knows events of recent years have been a little extreme.

I came here originally via google search for "kundalini" in late 2011.

I was aware of the forum before then, but not a visitor.

I found one or two accounts that were clearly recognisable.

There was a chap giving a detailed account, where the parallels, including the strange autonomous "compulsion" to make the finger triangle over the forehead, were really striking.

I wonder what happened to that chap, I'll have to go dig up that old thread again...

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 3

But Captain, Sir, here at TTB we can ignore someone we don't like. Can rarely do that in real life.

Oh I manage quite well ;). Get trolled in person, just walk away.... Fortunately getting trolled in person is quite rare.

• Like 2

Yup. I had a friend over a while back and we're learning from the same video. I'd missed a stepping technique that he totally got and loved. We reviewed the video and now I'm diggin' it too! (If you have the luxury of having an iPad amongst you, it's the bomb for practicing in the back yard - or anywhere outside.) I like that it allowed the flat hierarchy of TTBs to be replicated in my back yard: neither of us are really teachers, but we still learned a lot from each other as well as had guidance (through video, at least).

Way cool. B)

Oh I love watching a video, or going through a rather difficult book with a friend or two and dissecting it bit by bit :). My friends are all more experienced at martial arts than I am, so that helps too. I just bring my laptop out into the backyard. Has a SSD, so it's OK if I drop it lol.

I think that co-reading w/ a friend any classic is also a good idea. Reading the classics (of any tradition) helps you to develop deeper roots so that when you are learning a modern system you have a much better context of what the modern system is presenting. Important.

I have been to many esoteric meetups, and practice groups over the years; sometimes we will all discuss a certain book. Sometimes it is extremely insightful, and other times it reminds of those 3 hour long office meetings where only 1-2 points get covered! It is good to have new ideas and viewpoints though.

I think it'd be a good idea for the community to brain-storm ideas like this, nifty little do-able ideas for developing local culture outside of TTBs' digital sphere.

www.meetup.com

www.craigslist.org

I think of TTBs not as a final destination, but more like a train station. Yeah, meet people, chat, connect with resources, learn, all that stuff ... but also, find a teacher/school, root that in personal local practice, develop that further by training with local friends. It takes more creativity and initiative, but contrast that arc with just focusing on TTBs forever without that local growth: not healthy. Not healthy for individual members, not healthy for TTBs, not healthy for long term growth of local cultures, not healthy for participating in life.

- Trunk

I still think finding a local teacher brings people further than all the books and vids they can get ahold of :). Everyone wants the fancy famous teacher and thinks a vid by that person is better than the local one no one has heard of. This is unfortunate. Sure there are crappy local teachers, but still, you don't usually spend 5-10 years with someone like this, yet some spend that long learning from vids!

Also though, local practice groups are hella fun!

• Like 2

But I cannot consider myself a teacher, but a fellow experiencer, hopefully looking to clarify his understanding.

:)

I don't think I saw it as a poll option, but TTB members have really turned me on to some great resources out in the real world to study and learn from. Off the top of my head I heard about Kunlun-teacher Max and Jenny Lamb here and studied with both. Signed up to learn about the key sound technique. Bought an aneros. Am considering purchasing a Karen Kingston feng shui book recommended in the book section tomorrow. Considering experimenting with tonic Chinese herbs from Dragon Herbs recommended here. And on and on.

Lots of taobums are doing cool things, and sometimes they mention them and it sparks an interest for me that I follow up on.

Liminal

Hit the nail on the head. TTBs is a great source of information. Discovered both of my primary practices here. Yes, I also bought an aneros:). Every now and again someone posts a link to an article or video that I find fascinating or educational.

I've also had the wonderful experience of meeting a couple of bums face to face and chatting with them in real life. Trunk is spot on, develope connections with the local community.

• Like 6

Yes, I saw you hit quite a few of them. My vote stands although anyone knowing how I voted would likely get an incorrect understanding.

Please, let us know :)

I love how only 9 clicked on "I'm a Taoist" on the TAO bums hahaha

I wish to elaborate by saying that I'm on a journey and certain threads here are helping me piece bits together...of myself! In some freaking weird order too.

• Like 3

I love how only 9 clicked on "I'm a Taoist" on the TAO bums hahaha

I wish to elaborate by saying that I'm on a journey and certain threads here are helping me piece bits together...of myself! In some freaking weird order too.

I'll add that some threads help to resolve some issues both outside and inside oneself (and some threads make it harder to resolve them). I should probably have added those as options.

Blessing of Resolving Issues

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 2

Because it's really neat to have 3500 spiritual practitioners all in one place, to chat with :D.

Of course I really like that also, and can echo many of the comments already given.

Some introductory lobby posts have impressed me enduringly...

There was a man that joined some years back, he lived in middle america and had a basement bookshelf full of esoterica which no one in the surrounding community knew about, only his wife.

... there's occasionally an introduction by someone in their late teens / early 20's who picked up a copy of the tao de jing for the first time, or who started having mystical experiences.

• Like 4

... there's occasionally an introduction by someone in their late teens / early 20's who picked up a copy of the tao de jing for the first time, or who started having mystical experiences.

That was me a few years back.

• Like 2

Another reason is, there are so many people with so much information about energetic and spiritual paths and practices I know absolutely nothing about. How awesome is that? :)

• Like 2

:)

I've been able to share about teachers whose teachings I've found helpful, and have learned about ... countless teachers who I've learned various pieces of the path from. Books, ideas, diet, miscellaneous beyond recounting lol lol, a group processing that no one person alone could've ever done (I certainly couldn't've).

• Like 4

Another reason is, there are so many people with so much information about energetic and spiritual paths and practices I know absolutely nothing about. How awesome is that? :)

This is why I started coming here, because I know very little about Taoism and wanted to learn more.

Sadly it's mostly turned into trying to convince MPG that his worldview re: spiritual systems is completely baseless.

The problem is that when you first find a forum, you see all these amazing, in depth discussions and think 'man, I have to get in on this, there's so much to learn.'

Then you register and start posting, and you realize that those amazing discussions consist of a tiny percentage the conversation that actually goes on, and that it just happens to float to the top through the rest of the nonsense over the course of the years.

• Like 4

This is why I started coming here, because I know very little about Taoism and wanted to learn more.

Sadly it's mostly turned into trying to convince MPG that his worldview re: spiritual systems is completely baseless.

The problem is that when you first find a forum, you see all these amazing, in depth discussions and think 'man, I have to get in on this, there's so much to learn.'

Then you register and start posting, and you realize that those amazing discussions consist of a tiny percentage the conversation that actually goes on, and that it just happens to float to the top through the rest of the nonsense over the course of the years.

The odd and unfortunate thing is, the forums without that sort of thing to keep the threads going, seem to wither and die usually... go figure.

Trying to change someone's worldview seems odd to me personally, to preachy/controlling. I instead ask them if they wish to change first; if they say no, I move on and work on my own stuff instead. I just wait for folks to come to me. This is sometimes difficult at the IloveSilverRavenWolf conventions, but I (just barely) manage ;).

• Like 2

Trying to change someone's worldview seems odd to me personally, to preachy/controlling. I instead ask them if they wish to change first; if they say no, I move on and work on my own stuff instead. I just wait for folks to come to me. This is sometimes difficult at the IloveSilverRavenWolf conventions, but I (just barely) manage ;).

I wouldn't say trying to change it, it's just the intellectual incongruity behind it which gets under my skin :P I can't help myself from trying to point that out. I have a bit of a sick compulsion when it comes to arguing online, I admit it. Maybe I should take up your 15 minute challenge - I'll either stop wasting time on futile internet debates, or reach adepthood by 30. Seems like a win/win.

Also one of the first books I read about spirituality was a Silver Ravenwolf book... don't judge me :(

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 1

I wouldn't say trying to change it, it's just the intellectual incongruity behind it which gets under my skin :P I can't help myself from trying to point that out. I have a bit of a sick compulsion when it comes to arguing online, I admit it. Maybe I should take up your 15 minute challenge - I'll either stop wasting time on futile internet debates, or reach adepthood by 30. Seems like a win/win.

Also one of the first books I read about spirituality was a Silver Ravenwolf book... don't judge me :(

That's pretty much my thinking, TTBs is going to turn me into a great adept!

It's OK, as long as you got past those books all is good :D.

That's pretty much my thinking, TTBs is going to turn me into a great adept!

It's OK, as long as you got past those books all is good :D.

Hah yeah I was 11 or 12 at the time, going through my sisters bookshelf and finding a bunch of stuff on Wicca is what opened me up to the idea that magic & spirituality isn't just fantasy, although it took another 10 years or so for the idea to sink in properly.

• Like 1

I remember moving once, and I had a free sale, instead of a yard sale, since I needed to get rid of a lot of crap fast. Well there was a box of occult books I didn't need anymore. 3 girls come up 10-12 and grab a few... I made them bring someone older back to say yes they could have them.... they weren't silver ravenwolf books ;). I wonder whatever happened to the girls after much reading and practicing? They definitely looked fascinated and ran as fast as they could to find an adult to OK it lol.

• Like 4