chegg

Poll: Why do you keep visiting the Taobums website ?

Poll: Why do you visit the TAO Bums website ? (multiple selections allowed)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you visit the TAO Bums website ? (multiple selections allowed)

• To relieve my boredom
    • I was brought here by hidden forces
    • I'm a taoist and this website suits my interests
    • I'm not a taoist but this website interests me
    • The people here are interesting
    • The topics are interesting
    • There are no trolls on these forums
    • I want to get enlightened by using the information posted here
    • I come here for entertainment purposes
    • I hate taoism so I come here to disrupt the flow of discussions
    • I'm spiritually challenged and this website helps my developement
    • I'm mentally challenged and this website resonates with me
    • I'm addicted and dont have anywhere else to go that'll have me
    • I'm a master troll and I can troll you all seemlessly without you even knowing it
    • I dont believe in any of this rubbish but I'm interested to see what makes you all tick
    • I want to heal myself or receive a healing
    • I come here for no particular reason
    • I want to help my fellow human beings
    • People here that 'cultivate' might make more sense and be LESS sensitive and 'indignant'

We all keep stuff silent about our practices for various reasons... but I have found that even talking about the weather with another practitioner is more interesting than with someone who has not been there done that. Also there is always some stuff one can share. At a guess your teacher meant to the general pubic (unless its a secrets of that school sort of thing), but close friends are different.

I've mainly been told to keep silent simply to make things go more smoothly, the directive is intended for the general public but there are some things he has said it is just better not to talk about. I use the tattoos on my forearms as an invitation to talk about the arts I study. It's rare that anyone has the version of taijitu like the one on the tab icon for TTB or the pre-Heaven bagua. If someone knows what they are it's a pretty good indicator that we can talk. I usually get a few responses and I know not to talk to someone seriously about some things if I hear, "Is that the ying yang?" or "Is that the symbol from Lost?" or "Is that a spider web?" then I know it's just not even worth my time.

My old roommate is involved in Stregherian tradition as is a former coworker. One friend recently started learning reiki and his girlfriend is quite accomplished in wing chun and reiki but she and I clash a bit, we're too similar. Of those people though my old roomie is the only one I see regularly and we don't really talk about practice, just the kids, his wife, and life.

I figured out the "Muggle mask" a little while back so I couldn't easily be targeted by succubi. When I first started perceiving things in a waking state I was too wide open and had a lot pouring into me from other people. There was a woman at work a couple of years ago who tried to leach out of my crown one day, I was furious. She had the nerve to lay her left palm on the top of my head. I had a serious talk with her about how I didn't appreciate her actions, she was quite surprised I knew what it was she was doing and was able to counter it.

• Like 2

You made the poll public (in other words everyone can see who voted what; I doubt any who are here to troll or whatever are going to be honest considering.

I don't know how to change it to a private poll. :wacko: Can someone please do it for me ?

Blessings

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by chegg
  • Like 1

.. but I have found that even talking about the weather with another practitioner is more interesting than with someone who has not been there done that.

True ... have you noticed how the contrail weather patterns have lately been covering up the orbiting UFO's - obviously a lizard alien conspiracy ;)

I came here because I thought people that did 'practices' and 'cultivation' might make more sense and be LESS sensitive and 'indignant' ... but that option wasnt listed.

• Like 3

True ... have you noticed how the contrail weather patterns have lately been covering up the orbiting UFO's - obviously a lizard alien conspiracy ;)

I came here because I thought people that did 'practices' and 'cultivation' might make more sense and be LESS sensitive and 'indignant' ... but that option wasnt listed.

So whats the real reason you still post here, If you don't mind me asking ?

So whats the real reason you still post here, If you don't mind me asking ?

because I still think people that do 'practices' and 'cultivation' might make more sense and be LESS sensitive and 'indignant' .

Another site I go to has one or two interesting people but MANY foppers ... you make a positive statement and its seen as a compliment and they take it personal as if I am saying I like them ... a criticism or disagreement is taken as a personal insult and attack . Also that site is a bit too 'middle-of-the-road' for me. Also it does not have an hermetic section.

Here there is a wider range and seems much more eclectic (I like that) ... there seems to be more 'crazier ' people here but also more people with a deep and penetrative insight and a looser sense of humour ... still a few uptights though.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

because I still think people that do 'practices' and 'cultivation' might make more sense and be LESS sensitive and 'indignant'

Ok, ok I added it in for you at the bottom. You may refer to it as the "The Nungali Option" :)

Edited by chegg
  • Like 2

Is that a good or a bad thing ? :P

I think it's a good thing. I run into mundanes while I'm out all the time, and engage in interesting conversations, but just nothing to keep it going... Since I spend 80% of my life on my spiritual and martial pursuits I don't have much interest in say going to the mall or watching TV (which most mundanes seem to want to do).

• Like 3

I don't know how to change it to a private poll. :wacko: Can someone please do it for me ?

Blessings

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I looked, I can't change that aspect. Ah well, those who are just trolling the Bums might admit it anyways, who knows :D.

• Like 1

Yes this forum definitely does allow very wide differences of opinions, as well as personalities :). Also there isn't bias towards particular systems or ways of going about things. I like that. It also seems to be more open minded than most forums.

• Like 5

I think that, in the west, there is a huge cultural deficit for Taoist (and eastern-eclectic) activities and support. Since westerners don't have a lot of resources around them (local teachers to study with, local friends & training partners to hang out, practice, and talk with), they come here. It's just because eastern-eclectic (except for maybe yoga studios) is in it's cultural infant stages in the west.

I think that, also for the above reasons, there is a lot of mis-placed energy and attention here at TTBs. Energy and time that would be better spent locally with like-minded training partners, in-person, gets spent in digital-land cyberspace. I think that it's critical that TTB members reach out and make local connections in their lives in various ways, to help foster grass roots local culture where you are. This could be done lots of ways, on your own or in concert with a school/teacher (local or distant) that resonates with you. Otherwise, a bunch of time, energy, attention continues to get displaced into cyberspace. Look towards long term local cultural development, long term personal health, along these lines. Be creative, your culture needs you. :)

TTBs serves legitimate purpose/s but, imo, it's over used for lack of local development.

- Trunk

p.s.

I think that most of us feel we're not ready to teach, and we don't need to. Gather around a teacher's dvd for teaching. Host a little training party, serve tea, learn from videos with friends.

• Like 10

I think that, in the west, there is a huge cultural deficit for Taoist (and eastern-eclectic) activities and support. Since westerners don't have a lot of resources around them (local teachers to study with, local friends & training partners to hang out, practice, and talk with), they come here. It's just because eastern-eclectic (except for maybe yoga studios) is in it's cultural infant stages in the west.

I think that, also for the above reasons, there is a lot of mis-placed energy and attention here at TTBs. Energy and time that would be better spent locally with like-minded training partners, in-person, gets spent in digital-land cyberspace. I think that it's critical that TTB members reach out and make local connections in their lives in various ways, to help foster grass roots local culture where you are. This could be done lots of ways, on your own or in concert with a school/teacher (local or distant) that resonates with you. Otherwise, a bunch of time, energy, attention continues to get displaced into cyberspace. Look towards long term local cultural development, long term personal health, along these lines. Be creative, your culture needs you. :)

TTBs serves legitimate purpose/s but, imo, it's over used for lack of local development.

- Trunk

p.s.

I think that most of us feel we're not ready to teach, and we don't need to. Gather around a teacher's dvd for teaching. Host a little training party, serve tea, learn from videos with friends.

Definitely agreed Trunk, in person is so important. Also good for feedback, even if neither person is at teacher level. I have learned so much teaching others!! Even just talking with others, while showing each other physical movements can be extremely educational.

Also there is nothing like Bagua video night! We also sometimes have cheese kung fu movies night lol.

• Like 2

Definitely agreed Trunk, in person is so important. Also good for feedback, even if neither person is at teacher level. I have learned so much teaching others!! Even just talking with others, while showing each other physical movements can be extremely educational.

Yup. I had a friend over a while back and we're learning from the same video. I'd missed a stepping technique that he totally got and loved. We reviewed the video and now I'm diggin' it too! (If you have the luxury of having an iPad amongst you, it's the bomb for practicing in the back yard - or anywhere outside.) I like that it allowed the flat hierarchy of TTBs to be replicated in my back yard: neither of us are really teachers, but we still learned a lot from each other as well as had guidance (through video, at least).

Also there is nothing like Bagua video night! We also sometimes have cheese kung fu movies night lol.

Way cool. B)

I think that co-reading w/ a friend any classic is also a good idea. Reading the classics (of any tradition) helps you to develop deeper roots so that when you are learning a modern system you have a much better context of what the modern system is presenting. Important.

I think it'd be a good idea for the community to brain-storm ideas like this, nifty little do-able ideas for developing local culture outside of TTBs' digital sphere.

I think of TTBs not as a final destination, but more like a train station. Yeah, meet people, chat, connect with resources, learn, all that stuff ... but also, find a teacher/school, root that in personal local practice, develop that further by training with local friends. It takes more creativity and initiative, but contrast that arc with just focusing on TTBs forever without that local growth: not healthy. Not healthy for individual members, not healthy for TTBs, not healthy for long term growth of local cultures, not healthy for participating in life.

- Trunk

• Like 4

I looked, I can't change that aspect. Ah well, those who are just trolling the Bums might admit it anyways, who knows :D.

I think the entire poll seems like it is a bit of a troll :D I think I even trolled myself :o

Blessings

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by chegg
  • Like 3

You make it sound like a bad thing.

<deep threatening voice> Oh, I can make a LOT of things sound like a bad thing ... :glare:

I think the entire poll seems like it is a bit of a troll :D I think I even trolled myself :o

Blessings

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Do you mean that you did trolling on this forum OR you trolled your own posts .... if the second ..... :blink::blink::blink:

Do you mean that you did trolling on this forum OR you trolled your own posts .... if the second ..... :blink::blink::blink:

I think I meant that I posted a trollish poll but I did not realize it at the time. Then I proceeded to take part in the troll-poll. So I got trolled by the poll.

That makes me a subconscious-self-troller :wacko:

Or to use a more scientific term trollus-selfus-subconsciousnessus :P

Edited by chegg
  • Like 1

I don't think I saw it as a poll option, but TTB members have really turned me on to some great resources out in the real world to study and learn from. Off the top of my head I heard about Kunlun-teacher Max and Jenny Lamb here and studied with both. Signed up to learn about the key sound technique. Bought an aneros. Am considering purchasing a Karen Kingston feng shui book recommended in the book section tomorrow. Considering experimenting with tonic Chinese herbs from Dragon Herbs recommended here. And on and on.

Lots of taobums are doing cool things, and sometimes they mention them and it sparks an interest for me that I follow up on.

Liminal

• Like 7

This place is a mess, I like mess.

Too much informations, no reliability, it's like modern life except some stuff here interest me.

-New comers should be warned, internet is not the best place to start with. I'm not truly a beginner but even for me that's not all good, brings me doubt, too much curiousity when all I have to do is focus on my practice-

BUT

Very open-minded/funny people.

I think some people here are honest.

I like e-interactions

I have the same feeling here than when I enter a mediation room, lot of work, lot of suffering, lot of hope, lot of trouble, lot of peace, some clarity, some illusions.

Great trollmaster(s?) he's so much at the right place.

Plus, I have time at this period and that's good for my english.

• Like 6

I will add my opinion that internet relationships are no substitute for real contact in 3d physical realm.

We still in middle earth.

I too readily adopt the habits of a monk.

I don't even think I like being a hermit.

And though Hard Wait be Mantle mine,

Still Karma Dharma be armour Divine.

• Like 2