Sign in to follow this  
chegg

Dealing with Trolls, Petty Tyrants and Socially Inept Posters

Or for fun (and growth), we could always use this as a handy exercise.

1. Choose the 3 posters who annoy you the most, this should be really easy ;). Look on your ignore list if you are having trouble with this.

2. Ask yourself which aspects of what they post and their behavior and who they are annoy you.

3 a. Ask yourself which aspects of each of these people remind you of yourself and which aspects of yourself (damn mirrors)

b. Ask yourself when is the first time you experienced such a person, or behavior, or the thing that annoys you about each person? Or even just other times in your life.

4. (optional) ask yourself "why am I closing my heart to this person.

I've done this more than a few times, it does lead to deeper understanding of myself, as well as the posters which annoy me I have found.

I also used to believe that the "trolls" all did this on purpose to annoy the rest of us... but I think for the most part it's more subconscious, their way of thinking, and just their "stuff".

Some folks believe that it is not others anyways, it is just always our own stuff that is bumping up against us.

This exercise is even more fun if you have a particularly long ignore list ;).

• Like 3

My ignore list is empty. A good troll is too much fun to waste!

;)

Seriously, I feel that I learn from everyone, including the odious, so I try to keep ears and eyes and mind open. I do occasionally try to nudge people into opening theirs, too.

Edited by Brian
  • Like 7

Mine is empty too.

I normally try to avoid getting into a discussion with someone I know I can never agree with but then there are times when I feel the need to present an alternative view to one that has been posted and that is where I get into most of my troubles. Of course, I don't back down and that gets me in a lot of trouble too.

• Like 2

Hey,

Nungali hasn't spoken to me for the last 100 posts or so. I think I stressed him out with some posts and then, when I gave him only 2/5 blessings on the karmic-scale-of-good-posts, that was the final straw !

Nungali, hope you are well. How about some reconciliation ?

Blessing of LOVE !

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

Awwww ... did you miss me

How did you get on to the subject of Nungali in a thread with this title !!!

You are picking on me again aren't you ! ........... ;)

How do you know I am not reading everything you write and learning and putting it into practice ???

Do you need acknowledgment .... a pat on the head ... a nod as I pass ? Your existence is assured without my acknowledgment.

I told you what annoys me about your posts to me .... and then you chose to keep doing it ... that's fine ... I have no problem with that .... your choice ... I warned ya though and you persisted. <shrug> what am I supposed to do?

Either you totally misunderstood me and didn't hear or you responded back with the one thing that annoys me and now you are still doing it above.

Reconciliation not needed ... just compliance .

(Do you really miss such an ass ??? )

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Being hard hearted is the Taoist way? Hmmm I like the sound of it :)

The Taoist way is the cultivation of Xing Kung which is to enhancing one's patience, stamina and endurance.

• Like 3

Or for fun (and growth), we could always use this as a handy exercise.

1. Choose the 3 posters who annoy you the most, this should be really easy ;). Look on your ignore list if you are having trouble with this.

2. Ask yourself which aspects of what they post and their behavior and who they are annoy you.

3 a. Ask yourself which aspects of each of these people remind you of yourself and which aspects of yourself (damn mirrors)

b. Ask yourself when is the first time you experienced such a person, or behavior, or the thing that annoys you about each person? Or even just other times in your life.

4. (optional) ask yourself "why am I closing my heart to this person.

I've done this more than a few times, it does lead to deeper understanding of myself, as well as the posters which annoy me I have found.

I also used to believe that the "trolls" all did this on purpose to annoy the rest of us... but I think for the most part it's more subconscious, their way of thinking, and just their "stuff".

Some folks believe that it is not others anyways, it is just always our own stuff that is bumping up against us.

This exercise is even more fun if you have a particularly long ignore list ;).

OK, I'll bite...

"1. Choose the 3 posters who annoy you the most, this should be really easy ;). Look on your ignore list if you are having trouble with this."

I don't have an ignore list, and I choose just one poster for the purposes of this survey... I wonder if you can guess who that is...

"2. Ask yourself which aspects of what they post and their behavior and who they are annoy you."

This poster butts into taoist discussions with disinformation, misinformation, derails, smug remarks belittling others and invalidating any and all opinions or information under discussion, tiptoeing into "impersonal" insults that are however insulting to anyone born in the group he does not believe can do anything taoist right ("people of a certain kind are unable to understand what people of a certain other kind had in mind and there's no way for them to get it, they are born ignorant and they will die ignorant no matter what they do because they are, well, the wrong kind of people, and I'm the right kind, so whatever I say is true and whatever YOU say is false.");

he offers tired boring platitudes and trite uninspired personal interpretations, regurgitated junk science picked up on the go, pathetic junior high level (or below) snippets of orthodox western sciences he may have once been very slightly and very one-sidedly exposed to and dimly remembers something or other about;

is not a taoist, has no teacher and never had one, has no real practice and no exposure to anything lineage, traditional, reputed, legitimate taoist;

never had any oral or energetic transmissions, does not have and never had access to taoist schools or sects or communities or workshops or live gatherings where practitioners of taoist arts might have given him a reality check;

ignores and dismisses absolutely all reality checks offered on the forum by experienced and dedicated practitioners of taoist arts;

BUT

he is invariably hogging every thread on taoist subjects and more often than not is the first one to respond with god-awful nonsense whenever someone asks a question. He acts as an inverted Midas -- every thread he touches turns to shit.

"3 a. Ask yourself which aspects of each of these people remind you of yourself and which aspects of yourself (damn mirrors)

b. Ask yourself when is the first time you experienced such a person, or behavior, or the thing that annoys you about each person? Or even just other times in your life. "

I did enough work on myself (of the quite excruciating kind, even risking my life in the process) to have earned within myself a place from which I trust myself to perceive others adequately, without the typical distortions that people for whom "know thyself" has never been a priority, a quest, or a road to survival are prone to. I don't believe I've anything to project on this poster. I don't do what he does, and what he does I don't like not because something is wrong with me but because everything something is wrong with what he does.

"4. (optional) ask yourself "why am I closing my heart to this person."

I'm not closing my heart to this person. I would just like to close the taoist forum to this person, for reasons stated above.

...I'm told (by D.T. Suzuki if I remember correctly) that the Buddha once asked a disciple of his to clean his bath tub. The Buddha wanted to take a bath, the disciple wanted to serve him, so far so good. The Buddha disrobed, only to find that the disciple hadn't done anything. "Why is it still dirty?" he inquired mildly. "There's some insects crawling on the bottom, so I can't clean it, because per your own teachings, oh Enlightened One, I am not supposed to harm live creatures."

The Buddha whacked him on the head and said, "Just clean it and spare me..." :o:D

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

Awwww ... did you miss me

How did you get on to the subject of Nungali in a thread with this title !!!

You are picking on me again aren't you ! ........... ;)

How do you know I am not reading everything you write and learning and putting it into practice ???

Do you need acknowledgment .... a pat on the head ... a nod as I pass ? Your existence is assured without my acknowledgment.

I told you what annoys me about your posts to me .... and then you chose to keep doing it ... that's fine ... I have no problem with that .... your choice ... I warned ya though and you persisted. <shrug> what am I supposed to do?

Either you totally misunderstood me and didn't hear or you responded back with the one thing that annoys me and now you are still doing it above.

Reconciliation not needed ... just compliance .

(Do you really miss such an ass ??? )

Nungali !

My long lost bother, dear friend, buddy, cobber, pal, mate. :)

I think it only sounds like I'm picking on you but Its my way of saying I really think you're a great guy.

I will certainly comply and reduce those 'annoyances' for the sake of a more harmonious discussion.

Thanks for replying.

edit: this reminds me of a workmate who use to scream out my name every time he'd see me. That would annoy me to no end. But I got angry with him and I told him off but he explained it to me the same way as I have described it above.

Blessings of Harmony.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by chegg
  • Like 1

The Buddha whacked him on the head and said, "Just clean it and spare me..."

I wish people would just clean it up, take it away and spare me.

I wish I could at least be a tyrant on my own threads to the invulnerable ones. That would be cool.

The invulnerable ones. Nothing invested. Nothing to lose.

Seeing as how I am almost exclusively on my own threads, it is pretty sucky to have to entertain (or worse, ignore) the one(s) who can take anything I write and turn it into a spurious free-association that ends up (hopefully) on the "religion of dishwashing".

Don't believe me? I saw it there a few hours ago.

• Like 1

Nungali !

My long lost bother, dear friend, buddy, cobber, pal, mate. :)

<_<

I think it only sounds like I'm picking on you but Its my way of saying I really think you're a great guy.

I will certainly comply and reduce those 'annoyances' for the sake of a more harmonious discussion.

Okay ... I give you one more chance.

Blessings of Harmony.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Arggghhh ! You did it again ! :angry:: straight away ... right after you promised !

<wanders off mumbling> why do you do that ... you give them another chance ... when you know ... mumble mumble

• Like 1

this reminds me of a workmate who use to scream out my name every time he'd see me. That would annoy me to no end.

CHEGG !

Hey holdon waitaminute, YOU gave ME a blessing yesterday ;).

So .... ?

My requirement is that Chegg don't bless me, award me with 'good karma' points, think it is because he didn't give me enough when it is not give me any and stop the wub wub wub ... Good Lord! Its like some old auntie that insists on smootching me over and over again ...

<flaps and flails his arms towards chegg>

• Like 2

What was it? Last night or the night before watching TV, watched a little bit of a movie I had already seen while wating for a program I wanted to watch to begin, and the movie was taking place on one of the islands where VooDoo is practiced and one of the ladies looked very much like this one in the picture.

Sign in to follow this