Sign in to follow this  
chegg

Dealing with Trolls, Petty Tyrants and Socially Inept Posters

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Happy reading...and as with everything here, take it with a grain of salt.

(source: castaneda)

The most effective strategy for re-channeling energy consists of six elements that interplay with one another. Five of them are called the attributes of warriorship: control, discipline, forbearance, timing, and will . They pertain to the world of the warrior who is fighting to lose self-importance. The sixth element, which is perhaps the most important of all, pertains to the outside world and is called the petty tyrant.

A petty tyrant is a tormentor. Someone who either holds the power of life and death over warriors or simply annoys them to distraction. Petty tyrants teach us detachment.

The ingredients of the new seers' strategy shows how efficient and clever is the device of using a petty tyrant. The strategy not only gets rid of self-importance; it also prepares warriors for the final realization that impeccability is the only thing that counts in the path of knowledge. Usually, only four attributes are played. The fifth, will , is always saved for an ultimate confrontation, when warriors are facing the firing squad, so to speak. Will belongs to another sphere, the unknown. The other four belong to the known, exactly where the petty tyrants are lodged. In fact, what turns human beings into petty tyrants is precisely the obsessive manipulation of the known.

The interplay of all the five attributes of warriorship is done only by seers who are also impeccable warriors and have mastery over will. Such an interplay is a "supreme maneuver that cannot be performed on the daily human stage".

Four attributes are all that is needed to deal with the worst of petty tyrants, provided, of course, that a petty tyrant has been found. The petty tyrant is the outside element, the one we cannot control and the element that is perhaps the most important of them all. The warrior who stumbles on a petty tyrant is a lucky one. You're fortunate if you come upon one in your path, because if you don't you have to go out and look for one.
If seers can hold their own in facing petty tyrants, they can certainly face the unknown with impunity, and then they can even stand the presence of the unknowable.

Nothing can temper the spirit of a warrior as much as the challenge of dealing with impossible people in positions of power. Only under those conditions can warriors acquire the sobriety and serenity to stand the pressure of the unknowable.

The perfect ingredient for the making of a superb seer is a petty tyrant with unlimited prerogatives. Seers have to go to extremes to find a worthy one. Most of the time they have to be satisfied with very small fry. Then warriors develop a strategy using the four attributes of warriorship: control, discipline, forbearance, and timing.

On the path of knowledge there are four steps. The first step is the decision to become apprentices. After the apprentices change their views about themselves and the world they take the second step and become warriors, which is to say, beings capable of the utmost discipline and control over themselves. The third step, after acquiring forbearance and timing, is to become men of knowledge. When men of knowledge learn to see they have taken the fourth step and have become seers.

Control and discipline refer to an inner state. A warrior is self-oriented, not in a selfish way but in the sense of a total examination of the self.

Forbearance and timing are not quite an inner state. They are in the domain of the man of knowledge.
The idea of using a petty tyrant is not only for perfecting the warrior's spirit, but also for enjoyment and happiness. Even the worst tyrants can bring delight, provided, of course, that one is a warrior.

The mistake average men make in confronting petty tyrants is not to have a strategy to fall back on; the fatal flaw is that average men take themselves too seriously; their actions and feelings, as well as those of the petty tyrants, are all-important. Warriors, on the other hand, not only have a well-thought-out strategy, but are free from self-importance. What restrains their self-importance is that they have understood that reality is an interpretation we make.

Petty tyrants take themselves with deadly seriousness while warriors do not. What usually exhausts us is the wear and tear on our self-importance. Any man who has an iota of pride is ripped apart by being made to feel worthless.

To tune the spirit when someone is trampling on you is called control. Instead of feeling sorry for himself a warrior immediately goes to work mapping the petty tyrant's strong points, his weaknesses, his quirks of behavior.

To gather all this information while they are beating you up is called discipline. A perfect petty tyrant has no redeeming feature.

Forbearance is to wait patiently--no rush, no anxiety--a simple, joyful holding back of what is due.
A warrior knows that he is waiting and what he is waiting for. Right there is the great joy of warriorship.

Timing is the quality that governs the release of all that is held back. Control, discipline, and forbearance are like a dam behind which everything is pooled. Timing is the gate in the dam.

Forbearance means holding back with the spirit something that the warrior knows is rightfully due. It doesn't mean that a warrior goes around plotting to do anybody mischief, or planning to settle past scores. Forbearance is something independent. As long as the warrior has control, discipline, and timing, forbearance assures giving whatever is due to whoever deserves it.

To be defeated by a small-fry petty tyrant is not deadly, but devastating. Warriors who succumb to a small-fry petty tyrant are obliterated by their own sense of failure and unworthiness.

Anyone who joins the petty tyrant is defeated. To act in anger, without control and discipline, to have no forbearance, is to be defeated.

After warriors are defeated they either regroup themselves or they abandon the quest for knowledge and join the ranks of the petty tyrants for life.

Blessings of tolerance !

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by chegg
  • Like 7

there is one person on this site that bugs the sh*t outta me !

must remain calm !

looked all over for the block button but alas none could be s33n.

• Like 1

must remain calm !

Oh, please, even if you find the block button, don't block the person. That person is the lesson you might learn in order to excel.

• Like 5

BTW, I don't agree 100% with the quote that I posted. But I found it interesting/entertaining enough to put here.

Blessings of entertainment.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by chegg
  • Like 1

must remain calm !

Blocking is active, ignoring is passive... ;)

I wish there was a way for a member to see who (or just how many) have ME on ignore. I don't wish really hard, mind you -- more of an idle curiosity...

• Like 2

BTW, I don't agree 100% with the quote I posted. But I found it interesting/entertaining enough to put here.

Blessings of luck.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Lots of words for thought though.

• Like 1

BTW, I don't agree 100% with the quote I posted. But I found it interesting/entertaining enough to put here.

chegg.....

Wisely said!

The truth is invincible.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

must remain calm !

The block feature is in your own profile settings, to the left "ignore preferences".

• Like 1

A true warrior is never defeated. (Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.)

Old golfers never die, they just lose their balls.

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

;)

• Like 4

must remain calm !

Go to the upper right-hand corner of TTBs window, and click on your name.

In that list: "Manage Ignore Preferences"

• Like 1

The OP quote, which I remember well from the very first read years ago, does not advise on protecting the environment though, only self. What if the petty tyrants, aka bullies (who typically come in three varieties, the smart malicious bully, the dumb malicious bully, and the meddling idiot), don't bother you personally in the least but are preventing the environment you're in from thriving?.. What if it never grows to its full potential, nor even halfway there, because of the tyranny of the petty bullies? What would constitute victory -- abandoning the environment and going elsewhere, investing time, thoughtful strategy, and will into fixing it, or just ignoring its sad state brought about by a few to the detriment of many and carrying on as though nothing is wrong?

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 7

The mistake average men make in confronting petty tyrants is not to have a strategy to fall back on

Forbearance is to wait patiently--no rush, no anxiety--a simple, joyful holding back of what is due.

A warrior knows that he is waiting and what he is waiting for. Right there is the great joy of warriorship.

Timing is the quality that governs the release of all that is held back. Control, discipline, and forbearance are like a dam behind which everything is pooled. Timing is the gate in the dam

I hear that the year of the green wood horse is coming shortly.

I hear that the year of the green wood horse is coming shortly.

Yes, and it's coming over Fire in the Earthly Branch. Yang Wood thrown into Yang Fire at that. The horse will be very excitable, not a docile animal at all. If we had trouble the previous year, we will have double in this one.

...unless... ..???..

• Like 1

Awww so there is a block button !

Hallelujahhhhh

Never more shall mine eyes be injured by the ridiculous ramblings and multiple postings of said person ,,,,

Ahhhh

An air of serenity falls upon me in this knowledge.

• Like 4

Blocking is active, ignoring is passive... ;) I wish there was a way for a member to see who (or just how many) have ME on ignore. I don't wish really hard, mind you -- more of an idle curiosity...

Ahh I dont think anyone will have you on block mate ,

your one of the good guys !

;)

• Like 2

I got slightly struck down with a mild feeling of paranoia this morning.....it was during a brief period of self analysis.

The thought of me being one of those Socially Inept, tyrannical Posters. Ughh.

My Apologies to those I offended. /hides :ph34r:

Blessings of Immunity to my inadvertently annoying Posts !

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Edited by chegg
  • Like 3

That was funny. Paranoia is a really bad feeling. Yes, it still rears its nasty, ugly head in my life now and again. That's not good for an Anarchist. Hehehe.

I view you as a sharing person. Nothing less. Please keep being yourself.

• Like 2

Theres a lot of good witty stuff in this thread

But a block button is not a shortcut to tolerance,

wouldnt one be allowed to just SAY , dude !

You are annoying the carp out of me?

Well then everyone would know just how annoying

They and everyone else were, or weren't, seen .!

But of course , who the heck wants their own intolerance known?

Its far more convenient to use the block function thingie .

And then theres the uninvolved public view..

they look on perhaps at a thread or poster gone awry

Still seeing the ignored posts made because the mods weren't

Called in because the block button solved the most pressing issue

Which is the complainee or is that complainer... ? Anyway..

I'm not saying that which should be done etc

I just can't help but see a reverse side to the coin

which doesn't get as much play..food.for thought or such as it may.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2

Discipline and self-awareness i think is the most important part of this. I often feel the desire to attack those whom insult and splurge slander....however I often also have to remind myself that such a reaction is never helpful on the Internet and in real life. I am actually dancing to the opponents tune when I let them control my mind, emotions and energy.

Ignoring/blocking is often the best way to go when your meeting someone whom consistently mudsings and contributes little of value to the forum.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this