rex

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words ...

That became part of a documentary I watched recently on TV. They said that when the eagles reach a certain age they are released so that they can mate and propogate the species.

• Like 2

That became part of a documentary I watched recently on TV. They said that when the eagles reach a certain age they are released so that they can mate and propogate the species.

Me too. It was interesting to know how does the eagle know when it was released and free to go....???

• Like 2

Me too. It was interesting to know how does the eagle know when it was released and free to go....???

They did speak to that but I have forgotten and don't want to make anything up. (No BS today.)

• Like 3

I would think you would just abandon it, and when It realized it wasnt getting fed , it would go its own way, already having the tools.

• Like 1

I would think you would just abandon it, and when It realized it wasnt getting fed , it would go its own way, already having the tools.

Sounds reasonable.

• Like 1

No, that is not humane. What you do is untie the straps on its legs.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 3

And I don't have one of those in my yard (yet) either.

And that's the problem with limestone (nearly all of Florida is limestone), acidic water makes it go away.

Edited by Marblehead

No, that is not humane. What you do is untie the straps on its legs.

Well the thing was flying before, so the straps werent holding it down,

sure youd take off straps and hood- to unencumber the bird, ,,

but how is leaving it alone inhumane?

Theres no other option I can think of ,because if you continue to feed it

its going to hang around rather than get itself secure.

And if ,youre waiting for it to abandon you ,strapless,

it wanders around camp getting into trouble .

Thats irresponsible , how could you be so cruel?

;)

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Well the thing was flying before, so the straps werent holding it down,

sure youd take off straps and hood- to unencumber the bird, ,,

but how is leaving it alone inhumane?

Theres no other option I can think of ,because if you continue to feed it

its going to hang around rather than get itself secure.

And if ,youre waiting for it to abandon you ,strapless,

it wanders around camp getting into trouble .

Thats irresponsible , how could you be so cruel?

;)

I guess you didn't watch the documentary. The straps were placed on the eagle's legs to train it to stay with its master. The eagle was trained to hunt other birds. Therefore, it has no problem if it was released back to the wild. FYI As soon those straps were removed, the eagle will not return to the master's hand but go back to the wild and live its normal way of life.

• Like 2

I guess you didn't watch the documentary. The straps were placed on the eagle's legs to train it to stay with its master. The eagle was trained to hunt other birds. Therefore, it has no problem if it was released back to the wild. FYI As soon those straps were removed, the eagle will not return to the master's hand but go back to the wild and live its normal way of life.

Well Im not a falconer , but I did watch some clips and maybe If you had looked around more youd have seen that they are used to kill foxes which are highly prized , killing other birds largely being a waste of time since they eat a half pound of meat a day.

This here is from just a random wiki article.

Their intent (the jess straps) is more to prevent the risk of the bird deciding to chase something it shouldn't, and less to keep the bird from getting away, as falconry birds are routinely (and as part of the sport) set free—the bond between bird and falconer serves as a much better leash than any leather or rope ever will; however, it is not always desirable that a bird be able to take flight at its own whim, and both on the glove and on the perch, jesses help ensure this.

So although a particular clip might lead one to fanciful notions about the importance of the jesses in release proceedure, and it might make for good TV ,, umm a little common sense goes a long way.

S Martin explains.

My professional experience training raptors spans well over 30 years and

possibly more than 1,000 raptors. I have worked many raptors without jesses and

housed countless raptors in mews without tethering them to perches. However,

all of the raptors in our current shows wear jesses because we often carry these

birds past other birds in the backstage areas. This is generally the only time we

hold a raptor’s jesses. We never hold a raptor’s jesses while it is performing in

the show because we rely on our positive reinforcement training to establish and

maintain all of the behaviors in the show. If we want a bird to sit on our hand for a

period of time, we train that behavior with positive reinforcement instead of using

the jesses to punish the behavior of flying off the hand by holding the jesses.

So by others.. basically the bird is punished by being tethered whilst flailing around

which they hate ,,and so when they think they can get away , they do, and I dont blame them one bit.

The kinder way is to limit the use of jesses to situations when the bird needs to be closely controlled,

they arent needed for getting the birds to return.

Its just a mind trick some employ because they dont know any better.

:)

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2

Their intent (the jess straps).............. .less to keep the bird from getting away,

This gives me the idea to free the bird by removing the jesses.

• Like 1

This gives me the idea to free the bird by removing the jesses.

Well , it should have given you the idea that the jesses need to be held on to

in order to keep the bird from flying off the hand reflexively.

That one is being kind by removing them is still confused ,

Intentionally leaving it alone is compassionate , not having abused it for years implies no obligation,

finally letting it go is then end of an applied imprisonment ,......... you dont deserve a gold star for that.

To see that as kindness requires an umm short term view.

Besides ,the guy is probably going to grab another one and start over.

Just removing the jesses isnt releasing the bird fully unless youve brutalized it.

If youve trained it to be bonded to you then having them on or off is moot, in terms of escape, except as an encumbrance.

and I didnt say one had to leave the leathers on to abandon it.

Ties are not all made of leather , yknow..

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2