rex

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words ...

Not only that but Gen8 is missing altogether and Zhen3 appears twice instead.

They are there, one is the upside down of the other. If the two middle trigrams at the left and right were flipped 180 degrees and exchanged positions, then it would be corrected.

If the Zhen(震, thunder) at the lower left corner was flipped 180 degrees and become Gen3(艮, mountain), then it would be fine.

PS....

This is still not correct yet. Please wait for correction.

PPS....

Now, it has been corrected.

Edited by ChiDragon

Funny is when I first started practicing Bagua. I was trying to figure out which gua went where, and what each one meant. Well I found about 8 different variations of the Bagua! Asking folks didn't help, since they all practiced circle walking and fighting, they didn't care which gua went where and what each one meant ;). It was more than a little confusing.

Anyone know where that image I posted came from originally btw? I mean which book or manuscript.

Funny is when I first started practicing Bagua. I was trying to figure out which gua went where, and what each one meant. Well I found about 8 different variations of the Bagua! Asking folks didn't help, since they all practiced circle walking and fighting, they didn't care which gua went where and what each one meant ;). It was more than a little confusing.

Anyone know where that image I posted came from originally btw? I mean which book or manuscript.

The arrangements of the bagua are important. No idea about the image.

They are there, one is the upside down of the other. If the two middle trigrams at the left and right were flipped 180 degrees and exchanged positions, then it would be corrected.

If the Zhen(震, thunder) at the lower left corner was flipped 180 degrees and become Gen3(艮, mountain), then it would be fine.

PS....

This is still not correct yet. Please wait for correction.

PPS....

Now, it has been corrected.

Correct some more -- Gen8, not Gen3. And a trigram is read from the bottom to the top, no flipping required. To see that in the Northeast of the mystic picture they placed Zhen3, whereas it is the proprietary position of Gen8 in Houtian bagua, all you need to do is look.

Very briefly:

there's two arrangements of the bagua, the Earlier Heaven (Xiantian) and the Later Heaven (Houtian). The first one represents tao-in-stillness, the second, tao-in-motion. The picture you posted contains an incorrect version of the Houtian bagua. I don't know where it's from, but I think the trigrams are used merely for decoration in this one. Unless they serve a purpose unknown to me in this presentation. I pretty much know what they "normally" mean.

In practical terms, they teach an advanced practitioner how to move and settle qi properly.

Here's the two correct versions:

275px-Bagua-name-earlier.svg.png

275px-Bagua-name-later.svg.png

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

Bagua in color

post-250-0-78425100-1392091017_thumb.jpg - Earlier Heaven Eight Phases of Yin and Yang

post-250-0-31016900-1392091041_thumb.jpg - Later Heaven Eight Phases of Yin and Yang

Gold = yang

Silver = yin

In the Earlier Heaven Eight Phases of Yin and Yang - yin and yang are balanced opposites. It is in stasis - no movement - just hanging out. Heaven is above earth is below.

In the Later Heaven Eight Phases of Yin and Yang - all yang trigrams are below and all yin trigrams above.

It is out of balance. This indicates movement which begins with shock- thunder (green) with yang moving into yin.

• Like 4

Correct some more -- Gen8, not Gen3. And a trigram is read from the bottom to the top, no flipping required. To see that in the Northeast of the mystic picture they placed Zhen3, whereas it is the proprietary position of Gen8 in Houtian bagua, all you need to do is look.

Sorry, trigrams are read from top to bottom. Trigrams are read inside out from the center of the Bua Gua(八卦). However, hexagrams are read from bottom to top.

Edited by ChiDragon

Sorry, trigrams are read from top to bottom. Trigrams are read inside out from the center of the Bua Gua(八卦). However, hexagrams are read from bottom to top.

"Inside out" and "bottom to top" is the same thing, while "top to bottom" is the opposite of "inside out from the center." So if you know how to read them in a bagua inside out, you should understand that it's the same thing as bottom to top, just as I said it is, and the opposite of top to bottom, contrary to what you said. Earlier you suggested flipping them though, so you may be a bit dizzy from flipping the one you misread but not the others and trying to justify it by reading them top to bottom. No wait, you are not dizzy yourself, you are working on making others dazed and confused. Consistently. A wellspring of muddied waters.

Edited by Taomeow

Very briefly:

there's two arrangements of the bagua, the Earlier Heaven (Xiantian) and the Later Heaven (Houtian). The first one represents tao-in-stillness, the second, tao-in-motion. The picture you posted contains an incorrect version of the Houtian bagua. I don't know where it's from, but I think the trigrams are used merely for decoration in this one. Unless they serve a purpose unknown to me in this presentation. I pretty much know what they "normally" mean.

In practical terms, they teach an advanced practitioner how to move and settle qi properly.

Here's the two correct versions:

275px-Bagua-name-earlier.svg.png

275px-Bagua-name-later.svg.png

These are the ones I use :).

Just took me damn near 6 months to figure it out back then with all the conflicting opinions LOL.

When I started I was doing things like painting Baguas, and also painted a Bagua onto my practice space floor. Much fun.

• Like 1

"Inside out" and "bottom to top" is the same thing, while "top to bottom" is the opposite of "inside out from the center." So if you know how to read them in a bagua inside out, you should understand that it's the same thing as bottom to top, just as I said it is, and the opposite of top to bottom, contrary to what you said. Earlier you suggested flipping them though, so you may be a bit dizzy from flipping the one you misread but not the others and trying to justify it by reading them top to bottom. No wait, you are not dizzy yourself, you are working on making others dazed and confused. Consistently. A wellspring of muddied waters.

It is obvious that the Mystic Tablet did not match the Post-Heaven Version of the Ba Gua. Don't you think...???

Edited by ChiDragon

It is obvious that the Mystic Tablet did not match the Post-Heaven Version of the Ba Gua. Don't you think...???

No disagreement about that. In fact, your noticing the reversal of Dui and Zhen was the first-ever, and so far the last, assertion by ChiDragon regarding a taoist subject that I could agree with. You should have quit while you were ahead. :D

• Like 1

... as the saying goes.

How about a thread for just posting images that express and suggest?

Here's one:

tumblr_morghsQ1Te1s7dwyno1_500.jpg

Welcome to the cycle of rebirth.

For those with very good eyesight, one of the tear offs reads : "Jumping off a Paris bridge will make you in Seine."

post-31080-0-85051400-1393163580_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThisLife

Welcome to the cycle of rebirth.

There's that. Just an interpretation, but is it saying that in the Eastern sense? For me this picture gives no sense of death as an intermediate phase between death and rebirth with karma determining the next rebirth. Perhaps it's also saying that death in the physical dimension leads to birth and a life in a non-physical dimension (corpse to foetus in the stars) and that death in the non-physcial dimension leads to a life in the physical (skull in space to baby).

• Like 1