deci belle

edit timer?

Oh I agree, but it was geared toward zerostao and myth who believe we've lost "The Way" when in fact "The Way" was lost technically way before the edit timer was introduced. In case this isn't clear enough to anyone reading this: Meaning, they should have thrown a bigger fit when moderators were introduced because 'governing people' goes against "The Way."

It just seems silly of them to now all of sudden care when it serves their interests.

Moderation was reluctantly introduced by Sean with a group of volunteers (generally well received) because the place was one big flame war and he wanted civilised conversations. It was incredibly light touch aimed at removing insults (and threats). It worked because this place is still here and thriving (mostly).

I think everyone would prefer self-moderation ... where people who cultivate use their own sense of what is right and appropriate in a spirit of kindness. But the fact is lots of people come on here with strange agendas which are not harmonious. So the 'no insult' + serves to prevent this taking over. I don't see how that is non-Taoist. If you went into a Taoist temple you would follow etiquette wouldn't you? Or would you expect to be able to do what ever you wanted? It a bit like that ... mutual respect is needed.

What I think needs to be avoided is the feeling that somehow the moderators are responsible for everything. We are all responsible and they should just provide a light touch to the rudder.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 2

this seems to be have been quite suddenly utterly forgotten

LOL you missed my edit (within 30 mins) I inserted a 'should'

When you make a post on the board that post is then in the past.

If you had a conversation with someone in person, and said something you did not mean, would you apologize to them and tell then what you really wanted to say, or would you deny having said it?

Editing a post after it has been read, to change the content of the post once the discussion has been affected by it, is like the latter. It is denying the validity of the original communication and replacing it with some other communication as "more real".

It is the ability to endlessly mask one's real nature through substitution.

How is that more Taoist? I keep hearing the argument that limitation is not Taoist, but see no evidence to support the claim. This is not a rhetorical question, by the way, I am genuinely curious.

I was referring to no longer thinking about something in the same way - having a new take on it - it no longer being valid for me. It was not insulting anyone - if you noticed i don't do that.

I would like to know specifically who and how many changed the rules.

Edited by mYTHmAKER
  • Like 1

Quite a number of long standing posters are considering the same thing.

It's the end of an era of free speech here. The disapointment is palpable.

The whole ethos is very suspect, acting out a desire to be universally restrictive should be a subject for deep practical inner work, and overcoming such controlling punitive urges would be a step toward health.

It is certainly the end of the era (whether your editing rights are reinstated or not) - it was a fundamental breach of trust, as has now been admitted .

It is very sad but many of us saw the writing on the wall months ago and took the appropriate action.

It's the end of an era of free speech here.

Class in session kids, take your seats, it's time for a lesson in free speech:

1) If free speech ended, there would be no posts period. If posts were allowed, the mods would edit them to say something else as a way to make sure you had no freedom of speech.

2) If someone says they're going to kill the president in an exercise of free speech, they wouldn't have 30 minutes to edit that, they would get a visit from men in black suits and tossed in jail. Same goes for a terrorist threat. (ie, NAJA threatening murder and getting banned on this forum for it)

--- class ended ---

I did a little poking around to find out how much this forum costs to keep it running and it ain't cheap. Be thankful you belong to a "private club" (meaning you have to sign up to post) that you don't have to pay a dime to come and go as you please.

I'm done here.

Carry on with the bickering. Goodbye.

Edited by Celestial

I am actually wondering the point of starting a poll to ask whether most of the forum agrees with the new editing rights or not.

Then when there are 3 times more people who wish to have it back to normal than not.

The rights still havent changed.

Im just curious what the point of starting such a petition was, and why it has not changed back yet?

Can you change back the editing rights now.

Many thanks.

or will my request be ignored for the third time.

What I think needs to be avoided is the feeling that somehow the moderators are responsible for everything. We are all responsible and they should just provide a light touch to the rudder.

Not for everything - thought you guys were doing a good job - UNTIL now.

The rudder is stuck.

Unstick it - all will be forgiven :)

Edited by mYTHmAKER
  • Like 2

"I would like to know specifically who and how many changed the rules."

just for clarification and for the record

i am a member of the current mod team that changed the rules.

i did not vote in favor of this change and spoke against this idea.

i also became a mod becoz of the mass exodus of all the former mods.

((mods that i respected as mods and still respect as members here . i also respect my current mod team members as mods and as members here))

i wanted a longer term member on the mod team.

nothing wrong with new blood/ideas as part of the mix, but what i saw was the likely-hood of a mod team made up of entirely relatively new members here.

i did not happen to notice any other longer term members that cared for the opportunity to serve this board.

there is also a current opening now--- if anyone cares

@skydog. the polls are not closed yet, lets give it another day or 2 , then maybe we can take a look

• Like 2

I'm glad things went back to normal as far as editing. But it was a worthwhile experiment. Its worth taking a risk to try something new. And giving it time. Change can be good. I can't wait for the next experiment :).

I'm thinking black print is too authoritarian, the default should be muddled grey, wise purple or calming blue :o

• Like 1

Can't we Edit this Thread ?

All this Edit Kerfuffle is kinda boring now that it's been decided to return to the good Old way of doing things.

(LOL)

• Like 1