deci belle

edit timer?

Is it now impossible to correct typos or to make changes to my compositions now after a certain amount of time?

Many of my lengthy contributions need a bit of time to settle out while I work on them after the fact…❤

Do I now need special permission? Or is this a temporary bug?

• Like 1

Perhaps there could be a petition against this removal of editing

i'll just remove the word "rights" because in the end they can do whatever they want, but i am also not in favor of this new change

Is it now impossible to correct typos or to make changes to my compositions now after a certain amount of time?

Many of my lengthy contributions need a bit of time to settle out while I work on them after the fact…❤

Do I now need special permission? Or is this a temporary bug?

Deci, some of your Napkin posts, seem to have taken up an entire Tablecloth. (That's NOT a criticism, btw)

I agree with you that it's easy to overlook typo's etc when you're "in the zone" and trying to put a thought down correctly.

But there are far too many "Blank" or deleted posts in threads, which make the "still visible" responses, not make sense.

Not sure if I agree with the 30 minute cut-off, but suppose we'll just have to see how it goes.

The Moderators walk the razors edge as regards keeping order in the forums and allowing freedom of expression. It is impossible to keep everyone happy but I feel that they perform what is a pretty thankless job very well.

• Like 2

1. Being a mod isnt a thankless job,. I did it for a long time and got plenty of thanks.

2.You dont go into it for the thanks, you go into it to be of service to the community.

Anybody that chooses to limit freedom of expression which has been in place for the whole of the forum's existence, because they dont like having missed something live and vital which is now over.... well.. the prioritising there is power holding and restrictive .. to say the least.

1: Good.

2: Agree

Live/Vital stuff can still be of interest, after the fact.

I've learnt a lot of things from mouldy old coweb covered posts, from years back.

Should we not have ANY rules / guidelines and let everybody have complete freedom ?

I'm thinking of those instances when somebody insults / slanders another, in a thread. Then deletes it, so that nobody else can see it.

It's easier to use the PM function, if you are only responding to one person.

Edit: PM function added.

Edited by Basher

Deci, some of your Napkin posts, seem to have taken up an entire Tablecloth. (That's NOT a criticism, btw)

I agree with you that it's easy to overlook typo's etc when you're "in the zone" and trying to put a thought down correctly.

But there are far too many "Blank" or deleted posts in threads, which make the "still visible" responses, not make sense.

Not sure if I agree with the 30 minute cut-off, but suppose we'll just have to see how it goes.

That post did in fact come off a napkin!! heehee!!❤❤ Both sides. 200cm square. So thats 400 sq cm avec no corrections on the napkin. True, I must have filled it out with ten more paragraphs, yes— but many of my paragraphs are only a few sentences. Plus there was only one time that happened… usually it just comes off the laptop just like poofs!! haha!!

I'd be even more of a terrible pain pour zoze mod to ask to change li'l bits cause that's what I gotta do to make the message as absolutely refined as possible (albeit not that many bums can appreciate it…) I'm really composing here~ 4 years and nary over a thousand posts.

I have begun to think that bums should perhaps only be allowed a certain amount of posts per day or month or year and that after a few years should be required to take a break for a year.

Frivolous posting is a very serious problem. I put so much energy into my writing and the whole thread can often be derailed by a cheap-shot. If bums knew they only had a certain allotment of posts, perhaps these empty (deleted) posts would be less prevalent.

What kind of mental process produces 4000 posts in a year?!! Limiting posts could actually teach people a certain amount of discipline.

Control of the ability to edit my writing …I don't think so.❤

i don't think it is moderations place to limit their users and try to force life lessons on them, but allow room for them to grow themselves. the "take a year off" thing is a terrible idea

• Like 1

This new rule, window of 30 seconds...how is it Taoist? :huh: Please explain.

When thinking of the many edited posts on the board, I think to myself,

"What would Lao Tzu do?"

Uhm that's 30 minutes, not seconds. Perhaps you were joking about the time limit though :>.

Is this change in response to a forum member getting upset with member 'friend' actions?

As far as I'm aware nobody except this member had a problem with it.

Why not put it up to a vote?

• Like 2

I've made some comments in the "State of the board' thread ... I do have some problems with this idea and agree with stimpy above that I hope we are not giving in to a few people getting irritated over nothing very much.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 4

Is this change in response to a forum member getting upset with member 'friend' actions?

Not sure which instance (or person) you are talking about, but many reports, complaints, threads full of posts with nothing but "." and also just the general trouble caused by posts which insult and rile up, then suddenly vanish.

Not sure which instance (or person) you are talking about, but many reports, complaints, threads full of posts with nothing but "." and also just the general trouble caused by posts which insult and rile up, then suddenly vanish.

It was growant who wanted Friend banned.

If the posts insult then you would presumably ask them to edit them out anyway as part of moderation.

• Like 1

and also just the general trouble caused by posts which insult and rile up, then suddenly vanish.

Better to allow posts which cause insult and rile up to be edited and deleted then keeping them there for all to see.

You have to be very careful what you write on the internet in today's environment, and it is much safer to be able to edit a post if you posted in an unbalanced state of mind.

• Like 4

the "take a year off" thing is a terrible idea

Oh, I don't know about that. It's called graduating …or a sabatical, and there are well-known organizations that have age limits. I'd welcome not being able to come here!! haha!!❤❤

I've taken breaks of 4~6 months. Some people spend way too much time and spray unconscionable amounts of content(?) here. Just an idea. It's a habit thing to be sure. I don't even bookmark or tool-bar this site. I make it an effort to come here.

A minimum amount of posts per a certain time period is do-able. If that was put into effect, it probably wouldn't affect 98% of the bums' activity here. You'd think we were a bunch of ham radio operators how much we talk!! heehee!!❤

In my day, I induced so many crazy forum rules like character cap and post a day limit on one forum so this is nothing

What kind of mental process produces 4000 posts in a year?!!

errrrrrrrrrrr :ph34r:

I remember the instance you mean now. We had been started discussing it for a few weeks before that, and that thread was barely relevant if at all.

I would like to see where is the fluidity of conversation when there is no conversation anymore:

-either because people have emptied there posts in an entire thread

-either because they edit there posts in such a way that the replies other members have made to the first version of their posts are not relevant anymore.

The thing about having posts petrified is a strange argument. Of course our thoughts are submitted to change and of course we may not recognize ourselves in previous thoughts we had, thoughts we may have spoken to someone, expressed in actions or written somewhere. That 's life and that's the way it is in real life. There is time. How amazing it is to see that people think that www should be always an up to date image of themselves, as if the www was a way for them nullify time itself. This may occur in personal cultivation, but how strange to look for this nullification outside their mind, on an internet forum?? How can this make sense?

Thirdly, things should be put in context. This is just an internet forum, where people are posting under screennames unless they want to reveal their ID. So what?

Really this controversy is much ado about nothing. I hope it is not ill-faith based.

• Like 1

I would like to see where is the fluidity of conversation when there is no conversation anymore:

-either because people have emptied there posts in an entire thread

-either because they edit there posts in such a way that the replies other members have made to the first version of their posts are not relevant anymore.

I think it remains their choice ... it's the kind of freedom that we usually allow people on here.

The thing about having posts petrified is a strange argument. Of course our thoughts are submitted to change and of course we may not recognize ourselves in previous thoughts we had, thoughts we may have spoken to someone, expressed in actions or written somewhere. That 's life and that's the way it is in real life. There is time. How amazing it is to see that people think that www should be always an up to date image of themselves, as if the www was a way for them nullify time itself. This may occur in personal cultivation, but how strange to look for this nullification outside their mind, on an internet forum?? How can this make sense?

I don't think that is what it is about at all. It's simply that if you post something then you are entitled to edit it if you so choose ... its not abotu a perception of the www. as far as I can see.

Thirdly, things should be put in context. This is just an internet forum, where people are posting under screennames unless they want to reveal their ID. So what?

Well I would reverse that argument and say in that case why change anything.

Really this controversy is much ado about nothing. I hope it is not ill-faith based.

Not sure what you mean by that. What is 'ill faith' ... do you mean an argument made in bad faith? in which case why would you think that? If it is much ado about nothing then why make the change in the first place?

In the end I think the users should decide. If this change is being made because there is an issue with one or two users deliberately provoking others by making statements and then going back and deleting them then that is a form of trolling which should result in the usual actions to stop it.

• Like 2

Asking for freedom of editing is one thing, it is clear and straightforward and I can understand that. Asking to edit post for fluidity of conversation is another thing, it is seems a baseless point to me.

Don't ask me to name people ( there are more than 2 ou 3 at TTBs) who edit their posts to avoid taking responsability for what they post. They will recongnize themselves easily. Personally I don't care. When I will drop moderation, it won't make any difference to me: Iessentially edit my post for grammar and spelling and because english is not my first language. After the 30mn time my incorrect language will be set in stone. I won't make a fuss out of it.

I locate my freedom somewhere else than in an editing feature in an internet forum. This is not against you Apech, I am just stating my thoughts as they are. And I can understand why you may not agree with me.

• Like 2