adept

Xiang Gong - Fragrant Qigong

23 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

It is a very strong form for psychic and physical development, as at level 3, teleportation is possible, but that level is only reserved for those who are worthy of learning it, and those have typically been within the family and only those who will take on the lineage. Levels 1 and 2 are gifts to the public and even level 1 has cured deafness. 

There is indeed cultivation of qi power, vitality, and spiritual growth, but it does so in a way that is difficult to see without actually doing the form. I stopped because not only was it too strong that even doing a few movements can affect someone who has done it for a while, but because the limitations meant I couldn't meditate and couldn't do my other forms like Flying Phoenix or Spontaneous Five Animals.

Well I'm going to try it and see what I feel or what it can do for me.  I seriously doubt it could be too strong for me but we'll see  :)

I can't imagine how it could do much for vitality since it contains no exercise, nor do I see how it works on spiritual growth without having included meditation or an upward focus for energy work; but like I said, I'll try it a few times and let you know,  keep in mind I'm a bit numb to energy compared to some people since I blew all my fuses.

23 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

When I say meditate, by the way, I mean their definition is nothing with intense visualization. There's a whole list of dos and don'ts and the only other qigong I was able to practice was physical whether it was Eight Brocades, either seated or standing, or the self-massage form as there was no breathing technique involved, and special breathing is not allowed with Fragrant nor are mental practices like Spontaneous. 

My chi kung doesn't contain any special breathing nor mental practices so I think it's OK for me.  Special breathing and mental practices are not compatible with my chi kung either.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Well I'm going to try it and see what I feel or what it can do for me.  I seriously doubt it could be too strong for me but we'll see  :)

I can't imagine how it could do much for vitality since it contains no exercise, nor do I see how it works on spiritual growth without having included meditation or an upward focus for energy work; but like I said, I'll try it a few times and let you know,  keep in mind I'm a bit numb to energy compared to some people since I blew all my fuses.

My chi kung doesn't contain any special breathing nor mental practices so I think it's OK for me.  Special breathing and mental practices are not compatible with my chi kung either.

Okay, I can send you a PDF of the practices and just a heads-up: there are guidelines like don't practice it during a storm, eclipse, or at night in the dark alone, and no food or water 20 minutes before and after, and a whole list of things to not do when practicing. 

It is something that you either feel immediately or have no feeling, but the common sensations are smelling things. In a group of 15 we smelled roses, cotton candy, and dry laundry. 

I'm sending to your e-mail the free public PDF of Level 1 that is available on any search engine, but the advanced stuff like cleansing form comes from learning under an instructor like one of my teachers, John Dolic, and usually takes 2-3 sessions or a DVD. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2018 at 10:15 PM, Earl Grey said:

I'm sending to your e-mail the free public PDF of Level 1 that is available on any search engine

OK I got it, thanks.  I find that my initial ideas about this chi kung were a little limited.  I watched and did the level one and see they cover everything between the upper and lower tan tien instead of just heart and solar plexus.  it's a very different kind of chi kung than what I'm used to, but I find that the fast movements do get the chi buzzing pretty well.  It's missing something though, something I get from the slower movements, not sure exactly how to state that feeling.  However it now gets the Starjumper seal of approval.

The fast movements offer an interesting possibility, my system includes some fast movements but of a different type, however I was thinking of making a video of some techniques done at fast speed.

I also watched excerpts from the second set and it looks like there is a lot of waist movement.  This is also a good technique.  In my system we do it differently, we do it in a way that builds a lot of core strength and is more of a workout, but the important ingredient is there.  This is the video of level 2 which came after the one posted previously.

I need to watch and maybe try the complete level 2 to get a better idea of what it entails.

Edited by Starjumper

In reply to Star Jumper, I was also doing one method from Chi-Lel/Zhineng along with the Fragrant Qigong. The method from Chi-Lel is a common posture they call La Chi. It is the one where you look like you are playing an accordion. Palms face each other close to each other and you then open them apart and then come back together. In Spring Forest Qigong this posture is known as Breathing the Universe. For the first 10 days that I did these 2 qigong methods I did not have to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, an age related condition of prostate gland. However, after several days things reverted back to how they used to be so that was a brief and temporary healing only. That was disappointing. But it could due to the fact that I slacked off doing the La Chi posture. It was tested that doing it for 30 minutes would be the optimum amount of time. But I stopped doing that much. So I need to go back to doing it for the recommended amount time like I did for the first 10 days to see if the condition again improves.

• Like 1

Also to Star Jumper, there is no way to do the level 2 Fragrant Qigong properly from any you tube video unless you understand Chinese. This is because there are movements done where you have to work your legs in a way that is opposite to the side you are moving your hands to, etc. That requires teaching and practice which is available in English on John Dolic's dvd of this form. I learned levels one and two from his dvds. Then you can follow along with the youtube videos of Master Tian's daughters doing the forms. I would not trust any other posted videos of Fragrant Qigong because even as a novice I noticed mistakes being made. My wife strongly smelled the scent of flowers when she tried doing Fragrant Qigong the first time and she smells it when I have done the form in the same room as she is in. But I have yet to smell anything, nor have I felt anything other than the typical chi sensation in the hands. And that is all I have felt from any of the other 80-90 methods of qigong that I have tried.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Starjumper said:

OK I got it, thanks.  I find that my initial ideas about this chi kung were a little limited.  I watched and did the level one and see they cover everything between the upper and lower tan tien instead of just heart and solar plexus.  it's a very different kind of chi kung than what I'm used to, but I find that the fast movements do get the chi buzzing pretty well.  It's missing something though, something I get from the slower movements, not sure exactly how to state that feeling.  However it now gets the Starjumper seal of approval.

The fast movements offer an interesting possibility, my system includes some fast movements but of a different type, however I was thinking of making a video of some techniques done at fast speed.

I also watched excerpts from the second set and it looks like there is a lot of waist movement.  This is also a good technique.  In my system we do it differently, we do it in a way that builds a lot of core strength and is more of a workout, but the important ingredient is there.  This is the video of level 2 which came after the one posted previously.

I need to watch and maybe try the complete level 2 to get a better idea of what it entails.

One thing to note for level 2 is that you must not practice without a minimum of 6-12 months of daily Level1 first without missing a day.

as I am traveling it is hard to discuss this and will reply more later.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:03 AM, Earl Grey said:

One thing to note for level 2 is that you must not practice without a minimum of 6-12 months of daily Level1 first without missing a day.

as I am traveling it is hard to discuss this and will reply more later.

Thanks,  I am very happy with my own practice, it keeps me busy and has everything I need.  I was just checking out this Fragrant chi kung because someone asked me about it and it isn't for me so no worries about the levels and how long they should take.  At first I thought it was kind of dumb but upon a closer look I can see it's not so dumb and has some good stuff.   However it seems really strange to me after the training I've had so it's not for me but I can recommend it for others to try.  It did give me some ideas about the benefits of rapid small movements for chi kung and it's something I'm incorporating a little more into my own system.

Hi, just wanted to share my short personal experience with this form and ask something about the second level.

I've been doing the first level for about a month and a half, two times a day. I tried to follow strictly the rules for the practice, and I strongly advise to do so to everyone.

As for the healing, I had some nasty condition that involves nerve entrampent and muscle spasm that seems to be like 80% gone.

Also, my tinnitus reverted from quite noticeable (45 deciBels to give an aproximation, to almost not udible, I would say 10 dB with a very low buzz tone), so in this regard I'm very happy and looking forward to achieve 1 year of practice.

Generally I feel more confident, have more energy, my mood lifted and my temperament molded a bit. I also find that I enjoy music much more than before and eat less.

As for the sensation during practice, I have to say that I am an absolute beginner in QiGong, so maybe I just experienced the normal way of things. My sensations are: buzzing in ears, numbness in hands and feet, deep relaxation of leg muscles, feeling of something dripping inside my throath and inside my eustachian tubes and ears. During the meditation part: intense cold, inexplicable happiness, goosebumps and "vision" of a river and/or a big waterfall when I close my eyes. Never smelled anything unusual, but after practice the smell of things seems to be much stronger.

I hope this short report can help someone.

For the second level I wanted to ask if it's better to get the Dvd from Master John Dolic?  I understand that learning from the PDF source leads to an incomplete teaching, since the movement are more complicated than the first level. 

Also, if you know any knowledgeable master in Europe I could consider to personally learn from him. I'm Italian, so if it's possible to meet him in southern Europe I would be really happy.

When I'll complete the 'six months trial' 😂 of this practice I'm considering to introduce my family to it, so hopefully we will do group practice and again test this system with more people.

P.S.

(Special thanks to Earl Grey 😀 for solving  some doubts about Xiang Gong practice)

Edited by Victor
  • Like 1

Just learn from John Dolic. I tried learning from the pdf first and he taught me corrections that are difficult to learn from a document. 

I also am a close student of his so feel free to ask for some funny stories about fragrant since he has volumes of stories.

1 hour ago, Victor said:

Also, my tinnitus reverted from quite noticeable (45 deciBels to give an aproximation, to almost not udible, I would say 10 dB with a very low buzz tone), so in this regard I'm very happy

How long did you have tinnitus for before doing the chi kung?  How long did you do the Fragrant chi kung for before you noticed this change?  I've had a little tinnitus for a long time so I might do this level one to see if it will make a difference.  It matters how long you've had it and its' much easier to correct if done early on. 

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

Starjumper: I'm quite young, 21 years old.

The tinnitus started when I was 16 probably due to drum practice and incorrect listening hygiene(loud music in headphones, frequent rock concerts ecc), so I think there's a significant hear loss component in that ( on Wikipedia you can read something about cells in the cochela dying and the brain replacing the missing frequencies with tinnitus).

However, in my 18 it worsened a lot, and it was linked with a feeling of blocked ears, fullness, and sinusitis. 

I started general QiGong practice about 4 months ago, with 8 brocades and five elements qigong series on youtube. One month and half ago I started fragrant, but I made some mistakes for the first ten days or so, so I would say it's one month of real practice.

My tinnitus followed this evolution: 1st month--> no change

2nd month--> down to 8/10, often feeling of dripping in the ear and nose

3rd month---->6/10

now-->2/10, right after practice it tends to zero and raises during the day.

Considerations (Always remember that I'm no expert and all this is about my own personal experience): if I refer to my starting condition as 10, I could say that every day of QiGong practice brings it down of 0.1, while incorrect expositions to noises and or music concerts raises it of like 0.5.

I'm pretty confident that if you're tinnutus comes partially from fluid in ears it can be helped significantly. About complete resolution, my knowledge is that cochlea cells do not regenerate, so probably we'll never achieve that, almost like no practice can let you regrow an arm (but I sincerely hope QiGong surprises us about this last statement).

I know how much distress this condition can cause and I sincerely hope you can solve that, also, when I will have more experience in QiGong I'm going to open a topic about this problem.

Moreover:

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

Just learn from John Dolic. I tried learning from the pdf first and he taught me corrections that are difficult to learn from a document. 

I also am a close student of his so feel free to ask for some funny stories about fragrant since he has volumes of stories.

Should I ask you directly to Master Dolic or also you?

I'm very curios about stories of fragrant practice leading to healing, as anyone I think, but also about how it is possible that this form improves intelligence and concentration quality (I always tought it was a fixated quality for an adult):blink:.

I'm also surprised by the fact that practice seems to balance my emotions and outcomes with other people, so any story in this regard would be really appreciated! 

Again, thank you very much for your knowledge and I apologize if my english is not really delightful to read😂

Edited by Victor
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Victor said:

I'm pretty confident that if you're tinnutus comes partially from fluid in ears it can be helped significantly. About complete resolution, my knowledge is that cochlea cells do not regenerate, so probably we'll never achieve that, almost like no practice can let you regrow an arm (but I sincerely hope QiGong surprises us about this last statement).

I know how much distress this condition can cause and I sincerely hope you can solve that, also, when I will have more experience in QiGong I'm going to open a topic about this problem.

Luckily it doesn't cause me distress, I guess my meditations have made it easier to accept things.  I don't have a sinus condition either so it's not that.  It may have something to do with jaw joint issues because if I clench my teeth, or during chewing, I notice that the volume increases when my jaw muscles contract hard.  It could possibly have something to do with how an idiot dentist broke off a hypodermic needle in my upper jaw near my ear.  The needles are not coated so there will be some nickel leaching out and it is a nerve toxin.  However the main cause was exposure to loud noise since I worked in metal shops for many years and also while building a house for myself and using a staple gun to put roof shingles on and being too lazy to go down off the roof and get my ear muffs.

I've also read that the nerve cells in the ear do not regenerate and the noise comes from the brain compensating for the lack of input.  I was wondering if there was any hope for reversing this type of brain activity but there didn't seem to be much hope for that.  However I've learned that chi kung can do some miraculous things so evidently your practice has either generated new nerve/hair cells in your ear or the brain compensation is being turned down.  I think it helps that you are young and the likelihood of generating new hearing cells seems possible.

I think it would be a good idea for you to carry ear plugs with you a lot of the time and use them whenever you are in a noisy environment.  I do that now.

23 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

I think it would be a good idea for you to carry ear plugs with you a lot of the time and use them whenever you are in a noisy environment.  I do that now.

Not wanting to go off topic but since that I always carry my musican custom made earplugs to every gig/concert, they cut off unwanted noise and even give a better spectrum and clarity of the music you're listening, so in this sense you're absolutely right, and I advice every musican and/or concert goer to do the same. 

Edited by Victor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Victor said:

Moreover:

Should I ask you directly to Master Dolic or also you?

I'm very curios about stories of fragrant practice leading to healing, as anyone I think, but also about how it is possible that this form improves intelligence and concentration quality (I always tought it was a fixated quality for an adult):blink:.

I'm also surprised by the fact that practice seems to balance my emotions and outcomes with other people, so any story in this regard would be really appreciated! 

Again, thank you very much for your knowledge and I apologize if my english is not really delightful to read😂

Depending on what stories you want to hear, really, you can ask us both. It's cured deafness outright for one. 

IT will balance emotions, but be prepared for when the emotional purging happens too. 

• Like 2

Wonderful, I will PM so I won't disperse the topic.

I was also wondering why did such a powerful practice not spread much more than it actually did? I understand that Chinese Communist goverment didn't like big groups of people gathering so it banned it, but now with the help of Internet it should have spread all over the globe. Maybe daily commitment it's the obstacle?

6 hours ago, Victor said:

Wonderful, I will PM so I won't disperse the topic.

I was also wondering why did such a powerful practice not spread much more than it actually did? I understand that Chinese Communist goverment didn't like big groups of people gathering so it banned it, but now with the help of Internet it should have spread all over the globe. Maybe daily commitment it's the obstacle?

Limitations on practice and the human ego makes people not want to do it. I can't practice it alongside my other forms with special breathing and mind visualization, so that's why I don't do it. People are also spreading the wrong form on YouTube and absent of special instructions such as don't practice on an eclipse or during a storm. 

• Like 1

Thabk you again,I think I understand. Last observation, probably common to every QiGong style: I find that since I practice I sleep much less and also eat less, like 6 hours at night, but I do not feel tired or confused.

I hope this will not affect my health or mental clarity😂