effilang

Daoist Alchemy: Jerry A. Johnson

Splitting the book into 10 parts obviously

Sounds good, then we can all become experts on our own parts, then after time start to proclaim that our part of the text is the only true part and the others are heresy, maybe even start a campaign to wipe out all the other ones and those that read them for the good of mankind and to prove that ours is the only true one. Oh and we will each need our own colour and style of hat.

• Like 3

I have suspicion it might be medical qigong techniques with some meditation aspects... Don't forget that in contemporary China there are contemporary taoist teachers authorized by communist government.

I have suspicion it might be medical qigong techniques with some meditation aspects... Don't forget that in contemporary China there are contemporary taoist teachers authorized by communist government.

A former girlfriend who completed her DOM, told me that all Chinese medicine sanctioned by the state was stripped of important knowledge. 'Cultural Revolution Medicine'. Whenever I see state approved (sports bureaucracy) Qigong I am immediately leary of that system.

• Like 5

I'm sure Jerry is the real deal, He sure seams like that in a interview I saw.

http://youtu.be/ckpN8TWPbhE

The first 22 min is a book review, so that can be skipped.

So he is saying he has studied in China and Taiwan, so I'm sure he know how much they have lost of the knowledge in China.

He talks about discussing thunder magic with some monks and they did not know because the few who knew it did not teach it.

Edited by Tung
  • Like 1

He talks about discussing thunder magic with some monks and they did not know because the few who knew it did not teach it.

Thunder magic? I think one has to go to China and LIVE there for a while and talk to monks and grandmasters and train. And only after some time you will be able to esteem more or less. Interview is nothing at all. Nice book with nice pictures too...

I'm sure Jerry is the real deal, He sure seams like that in a interview I saw.

http://youtu.be/ckpN8TWPbhE

The first 22 min is a book review, so that can be skipped.

So he is saying he has studied in China and Taiwan, so I'm sure he know how much they have lost of the knowledge in China.

Bad link. The dot between u and b is the problem.

• Like 2

From the contents I have the feeling half of it already exist in the other books from him.

That is my feeling too. In fact most of the "waigong" appears to be the daoyin from the medical qigong books. Given the format of Johnson's other books, I would say repetition will continue to be the order of the day. But you never know if some new stuff has also been included with the old information.

I had a look through the book today (a friend of mine has it). Some of it is repeat, about 20% perhaps, but talked about in a different context. The rest is material which hasn't been published by him before. It is mostly how to. Now whether someone could do it on their own from the book only, I'm sure, however the disclaimer in the front suggests that you work with someone who has the knowledge of these exercises if you are doing them. Probably so you don't mess yourself up.

The book most definitely covers a LOT, and I'm actually quite surprised all of this is public! Pretty cool exercises, meditations, qigong and so forth.

• Like 9

It contains a LOT of info and the practice techniques to go with that.

Laying the foundation - 100 days - gather external medicine - internal medicine etc.

Practices are described clearly.

Similar to Taoist Yoga but of course much clearer with the methods and signs.

If you're really interested in practicing this stuff i would get it.

Edited by Ish
  • Like 6

Still have a lot of the book to read might comment more in a few weeks

• Like 4

Anything JAJ writes is top quality. I have four of his medical qigong books now and will be buying this one.

To to OP...thanks for posting.

• Like 3

Anything JAJ writes is top quality. I have four of his medical qigong books now and will be buying this one.

To to OP...thanks for posting.

Indeed. I have the original Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy he wrote back in 2000, as well as Vol. 1&2 of his Internal Martial arts books. I remember hearing him say in an interview that he planned to put everything he knew in his books so he could just come back and read them when he reincarnated. :D

I would be interested in doing a shared purchase of the book. I think I know a way we could share it effectively. PM me if you're interested.

GT

• Like 3

It contains a LOT of info and the practice techniques to go with that.

Laying the foundation - 100 days - gather external medicine - internal medicine etc.

Can you give us a short teaser on the first practices? edit: fixed typo

Edited by Guest

On 2013-5-22 at 5:01 PM, Väinä said:

Edited by Ish
not relevant anymore
  • Like 3

Good stuff, that correlates with the small-small circulation YJM wrote about in his MCO book. I've also adapted a 3 dantiens version of it.

Btw, I just remembered, the above mentioned meditation is also found in Dr. Johnson's Bagua book from years back. It is likely written in a different context though, and also that one was written nearly 30 years ago!

Hey you guys don't be dumbo's, he's taking you for your money, nobody can learn anything properly from a book. If you look at his site he proclaims to have studied hundreds of things and is a master of them all. It takes many years under a true master to learn properly perhaps only three things.

Pay your $200 what will you have achieved?

I'll tell you what, pay me $200 and I'll make good use of it, instead of filling his pockets, I'll grow hundreds of trees and we can see the magic of the great way in action, which will benefit all.

• Like 1

Hey you guys don't be dumbo's, he's taking you for your money, nobody can learn anything properly from a book. If you look at his site he proclaims to have studied hundreds of things and is a master of them all. It takes many years under a true master to learn properly perhaps only three things.

I'll tell you what, pay me $200 and I'll make good use of it, instead of filling his pockets, I'll grow hundreds of trees and we can see the magic of the great way in action, which will benefit all.

What do you suggest as the alternative? Sending *you* $200 to plant trees won't get folks any closer to knowing the practices of neigong; how do you suggest folks go about it for free, or less than $200?

Personally I'd say find a local teacher, but from all I have heard there aren't any decent ones in many areas (see my thread of asking why people use books and vids to learn).

• Like 1

Considering the amount of time he put in translating, the time that went into editing, the time that went into publishing, and, the very small number of orders he will get, $200 is probably too low to average into a reasonable hourly wage.

The more I've interacted with powerful cultivators and occultists, the more I've come to understand that the Great Work will bar cheapskates to enter the Path.

Mandrake

• Like 3

What do you suggest as the alternative? Sending *you* $200 to plant trees won't get folks any closer to knowing the practices of neigong; how do you suggest folks go about it for free, or less than $200?

Personally I'd say find a local teacher, but from all I have heard there aren't any decent ones in many areas (see my thread of asking why people use books and vids to learn).

Mr Johnson won't be giving away too many secrets, he will if he does anger his teachers. I have no time to teach though I used to many years ago. Yes very difficult to find a good teacher. Nei gong should only be practiced if some years have been done on qi gong and trad. martial arts, where the lower dan tian has been tightened. The body is then ready for nei gong practice. All these practices take time and development and each individual student progresses at differing paces. An experienced teacher will know when and what to teach.

Best to find someone with a genuine lineage if possible, I was going to make a video of one of my Immortal masters qi gong form (Hau Tuo Xian Shi) 'sweeping moon', a genuine art of two forms; yin & yang. As there was little interest at the time I didn't bother.