People would still troll if they had normal names like Bob Jones or Jane Smith. I'm the only person in the world with my name - so if I were a troll it would work on me. Luckily I'm not a troll.

• Like 1

i occasionally contemplate an optional "inner" forum where, in order to gain access, members have to use and validate their real full name by sending a pic of a valid photo id along with a self pic while holding up a sign saying "the tao bums".

sean

• Like 8

Personally I do not join public forums in which I have to use my real name. I have a very uncommon name, and am sort of well known in some circles.

I can also see how some folks say might not wish to use their real name when posting about evocation for example, and having their employer or family find out. I have also had people from the internet threaten to come attack me in person before (due to occult posts on forums). While most of these claims are just BS, there are some crazies out there.

So I'm hoping that using a real name stays optional :).

• Like 7

^ That could be cool.

I'm pretty careful with what I post online, yet some of my favourite topics could be viewed as "embarrassing" to the general public.

I also deleted my personal practice forum posts before I had my surname added

:)

• Like 1

But then you got the free spirits who just don't give a fuck. For example if I try and google "Drew Hempel O at a D". As soon as I hit the letter O - the "at a D" just pops up by itself. haha

Yeah, I would only participate in such a forum if there were stringent security measures involved, such as Sean recommends. It would have to be heavily guarded, because there's enough crazy people out there that an easily accessible public forum requiring real names could get someone killed.

• Like 2

there is still a possibility of being hacked and then who knows what

sincerity and authenticity exists even with nom de guerres

and maybe more open sharing happens the way it is

• Like 1

Life has already been quite kind to me. Although I admit it has taken purification for me to see that clearly. ;)

Anyways, I try behave as virtuously as I can regardless of what name I'm using. It's a matter of personal integrity for me.

• Like 3

In most of the other forums I'm on, I have my first name as a signature n all my posts, and my personal profile page has my name and as specific of a location as I'm willing to give out. Many people on those site have their full name and location down to the town they live in, and many people have met each other in person.

BUT, there is some sensitive, personal info posted on this site. And there seem to be more crazies than the other sites I'm on. S I don't know how I feel...

But the more people treat this site as though they were dealing with people face to face (which real names would encourage), the less BS you'd see, and you'd see a lot less arguing, I think. If you know someone could come after you, are you going to post that stupid crap, insulting them and egging them on?

If you would face to face, then yes. But most people wouldn't...so it would cut down on that.

For me, I might avoid the more personal, possibly embarrassing topics if I had to use my real name. But I'd be no more or less mean to people.

I do agree that the people who hide behind the anonymity the Internet creates to push an agenda or pretend they're something they're not, or to be aggressive when they'd normally be scared to be...are pretty misguided, sad cases.

Edited by i am

I haven't got a problem with registering with proof of ID but I do have a problem with using my real name as a screen name. This is if the forum is an open forum ... if it is private members only then I wouldn't have a problem with using my real name. However I think that there's a risk of people being subject to trolling and cyber-bullying not to mention unwanted attention especially if you are a woman and/or someone who holds controversial views.

• Like 4

my hacking concerns have nothing to do with identity theft.

besides, there are many bums who already know my real name.

and i trust that they will not inform the rest of the internet.

way back in the 90's when yahoo was new and they had that games section.

in the chess section, it so happened that the 2 players using anonymous handles

kept encountering each other and playing the highest levels of chess in history.

they came up with new innovative novelties, tactics, and strategy,,

at least that is what the chess experts said. come to find out these 2 were also the very same that met for the world championship, and the level of chess of the in person official championship meeting was less than the yahoo chess encounters.

the Tao Bums is a unique and special media for expression. some bums choose to reveal their own personal names to the community and some do not. choice is a good thing. and there is a very darker side that could come into play if everyone was identified. there are already bums that no longer post here due to these concerns. governments and madmen lurk these forums. when japan invaded china they sought out high level masters and killed them when they could find them. they had already identified them and knew where to find them.

i wouldnt want a high level master to keep from posting here due to some concern like that.

it could/would stiffle creative exchanges

• Like 2

if it is private members only then I wouldn't have a problem with using my real name.

A good point about private. I think it would be worth keeping such a forum off google (like the personal practice section)

My full first and last name only give 3 pages of hits. And I don't mind the forums and posts those hits return. My full first and last name with middle initial gives only one (a petition)

Full first middle & last returns nothing :)

• Like 1

I personally feel that if you are going to shout about a certain system and derail every single thread you encounter...then yes. A name verification should be a must. It's borderline trolling IMO when you have someone who CONSISTENTLY DERAILS EVERY THREAD THEY ENCOUNTER WITH THE MOST INSANE BULLSHIT. I say that if you are going to insist on injecting the forum with your hot jing injection then you should have to verify your identity. That also goes for any other person who does the same. You cannot hide behind a fake name and DERAIL EVERY THREAD

• Like 1

well what would be posted on the inner forum? all the stuff we normally talk about? i think it is important that the information be accessible to the public. Don't know where i would be if i hadn't stumbled across this site and been able to read without registering...a dark place, that's for sure.

The reality of the situation is that no matter what you do, there will still be issues. There will always be posters you don't like, spammers, and other forms of furry nasty stinky internet monsters. Just as in life off-line, We cannot control or avoid the things that bring up our attachments and aversions. The one thing it would guarantee though, is a ton of extra work for the admins/moderators.

The other factor is the participation rate. The more open a forum is, the higher the rate. The more restrictive and exclusive it is, the less people will come and share freely and openly.

I have found for all the valuable things I have learned, that they had to be earned. Not talking about the training, but the work involved in seeking out realized masters and authentic martial lineage holders. I constantly wade through the mud and noise of so called "teachers" in order to find a very small amount of reliable sources. I've spent more than enough time with charlatans, and I fully believe that it's all part of the path, or at-least my path.

The very Tao teaches us that hot creates cold, good creates bad and so on. Yet we often reject this same teaching when it constantly shows up in our life experience. We expect to only have one without the other, but it is this original expectation that automatically causes the other to exist in our experience. It is we who create it.

• Like 7

The reality of the situation is that no matter what you do, there will still be issues. There will always be posters you don't like, spammers, and other forms of furry nasty stinky internet monsters. Just as in life off-line, We cannot control or avoid the things that bring up our attachments and aversions. The one thing it would guarantee though, is a ton of extra work for the admins/moderators.

The other factor is the participation rate. The more open a forum is, the higher the rate. The more restrictive and exclusive it is, the less people will come and share freely and openly.

I have found for all the valuable things I have learned, that they had to be earned. Not talking about the training, but the work involved in seeking out realized masters and authentic martial lineage holders. I constantly wade through the mud and noise of so called "teachers" in order to find a very small amount of reliable sources. I've spent more than enough time with charlatans, and I fully believe that it's all part of the path, or at-least my path.

The very Tao teaches us that hot creates cold, good creates bad and so on. Yet we often reject this same teaching when it constantly shows up in our life experience. We expect to only have one without the other, but it is this original expectation that automatically causes the other to exist in our experience. It is we who create it.

I think JustBHappy nailed it. This goes into my Best of Tao Bums file.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that my name is one of a kind, and on top of that I'm all over Teh Interwebz, including address and phone thanks to organizations I belong to. So, for privacy's sake I keep a nom do cyberspace on forums. I don't troll and I try to be courteous but I just like to keep my private info, private.

This goes into my Best of Tao Bums file.

I'd make one of those.. except how do we know what's best?! at any given time one could - hopefully will - see something new that is more true and relevant that one just wasnt able to hear or perceive earlier..

its so easy to overlook gems, thats why we have the phrase 'hidden gems'.. I guess :huh: