Thanks for the thoughtful and compelling overview, this puts a lot into perspective.

One Tibetan teacher I know of discourages Westerners living in the West to do the traditional three year retreat as he argues that they won't be fundamentally changed, and when they get out their job and significant other would have moved on. Worth it if there's fundmental postive and enabling changes in oneself, otherwise unless one has got a real trade/skill and close supportive family/friends, the worse case scenario could be being left to pick up the pieces from where one left off, with no job, no support network, and no new inner resources to meet the challenge. Bummer!

What you describe sounds like moving to a new city. Also many people end up where they have to do a career change at some point in their lives, sounds similar too. Also most marriages don't last more than half a dozen years, and how many times have we thought someone was the perfect one to look back later and wonder what we were thinking?... I would actually say all that you describe sounds relatively easy compared with mundane changes I have gone through over the years lol. Perhaps most people stay in the same place/job/relationship their entire lives? Hard to imagine though. For example think of all the folks who move to another country, or go back to school at 50.

I would say more to plan for it. Save up beforehand if you can, if you can't, oh well it's more important than most dead end jobs people have anyways (a majority of the population have jobs they hate). Or perhaps plan it when you are in between jobs anyways; especially good for contract workers. Perhaps also when you are single, or when you are with someone understanding enough to get it. If your spiritual path is so important, why would you be with someone who doesn't understand (and can't keep up) anyways? Now friends, well you definitely don't want to interact with them during a retreat, as they try their best (unknowingly) to keep us the same. But there is no reason they wouldn't be there for us when we get back. Just explain to them beforehand where you are going and why. Of course there is the chance you may have changed so much you have no interest in the same people afterwards. Plan for it, but don't put it off to long or you will never get around to it.

There are many times we have to pick up the pieces and start anew, that is sort of a part of life. I personally prefer doing it at times where I have clarity and know what I'm after on a deeper level ;).

But something as simple as having everything you know and feel comfortable with, and hold onto disappear, in exchange for an exponentially greater connection with your path and the divine? Who wouldn't go for that? It's only stuff and things, they come and go. The only exception I can see if is you are married with children, you wouldn't want to uproot them. Though some people have successfully performed it at home with young children around. The good news is that the job/people/relationships/etc. afterwards end up being far better afterwards as they are what your heart and higher self truly desire.

Not for everyone though, obviously, but definitely worthwhile for some.

Now from your example I'm thinking of all of the Tibetans who have relocated to Canada (many in my city), who are trying to find housing, jobs, community and lives here.

Edit to add: I find it odd that he feels westerners wouldn't be fundamentally changed after a 3 year retreat? I can't imagine someone not experiencing profound change. There's got to be mundane business oriented Tibetans too? :)

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

I'm sorry but this is a common misconception based on Eastern philosophy.

The Western tradition (well, most of it anyway... the Gnostics being an exception and those I've met most certainly did have egos although I imagine they would deny it) does not call for the death of the ego. This flies squarely in the face of our culture. After all, how is it exactly you would go to work, make a living, keep your wife happy, and meet the hundreds of other requirements of daily life without an ego?

Rather, we learn to deal with the ego. Correction: Egos. They are called Legion, after all!

As you continue through the Work, you will meet your most important egos. Some will confront you, others will support you, most will just fall in line. It is doubtful you will ever meet them all... for they really are Legion. Imagine marching into a city as a conquerer with tens of thousands of faces looking on at you and you aren't too far from the truth.

Anyway this process is quite interesting... and can be quite painful. You will face your fears. Your most cherished beliefs will be shattered. But you will also surprise yourself as well with moments of beauty, heroism, and selflessness that you did not know you were capable of.

For me perhaps the most rewarding moment happened after I had burned and dissolved enough of the false self that suddenly, the silent, joyful warrior appeared for the first time. The new personality - the one created by the True Self - is truly a beautiful thing.

• Like 2

What you describe sounds like moving to a new city. Also many people end up where they have to do a career change at some point in their lives, sounds similar too. Also most marriages don't last more than half a dozen years, and how many times have we thought someone was the perfect one to look back later and wonder what we were thinking?... I would actually say all that you describe sounds relatively easy compared with mundane changes I have gone through over the years lol. Perhaps most people stay in the same place/job/relationship their entire lives? Hard to imagine though. For example think of all the folks who move to another country, or go back to school at 50.

I would say more to plan for it. Save up beforehand if you can, if you can't, oh well it's more important than most dead end jobs people have anyways (a majority of the population have jobs they hate). Or perhaps plan it when you are in between jobs anyways; especially good for contract workers. Perhaps also when you are single, or when you are with someone understanding enough to get it. If your spiritual path is so important, why would you be with someone who doesn't understand (and can't keep up) anyways? Now friends, well you definitely don't want to interact with them during a retreat, as they try their best (unknowingly) to keep us the same. But there is no reason they wouldn't be there for us when we get back. Just explain to them beforehand where you are going and why. Of course there is the chance you may have changed so much you have no interest in the same people afterwards. Plan for it, but don't put it off to long or you will never get around to it.

There are many times we have to pick up the pieces and start anew, that is sort of a part of life. I personally prefer doing it at times where I have clarity and know what I'm after on a deeper level ;).

But something as simple as having everything you know and feel comfortable with, and hold onto disappear, in exchange for an exponentially greater connection with your path and the divine? Who wouldn't go for that? It's only stuff and things, they come and go. The only exception I can see if is you are married with children, you wouldn't want to uproot them. Though some people have successfully performed it at home with young children around. The good news is that the job/people/relationships/etc. afterwards end up being far better afterwards as they are what your heart and higher self truly desire.

Not for everyone though, obviously, but definitely worthwhile for some.

Now from your example I'm thinking of all of the Tibetans who have relocated to Canada (many in my city), who are trying to find housing, jobs, community and lives here.

Edit to add: I find it odd that he feels westerners wouldn't be fundamentally changed after a 3 year retreat? I can't imagine someone not experiencing profound change. There's got to be mundane business oriented Tibetans too? :)

Another good post! So really you are saying that the upheavals that may be brought about are no worse than what many non-practitioners have to deal with in a lifetime anyway? Good point, though I think there's a difference in expecting upheaval and knowing that one may be actively inviting it in, thereby being forwearned/forearmed, and having it crashing down on you out of the blue irrespective of one's state of readiness. The key element is having some semblance of choice.

I don't know why the teacher feels that Westerners will not be fundamentally changed. Until quite recently people who had gone through the three year retreat could call themselves lama, but it isn't automatic anymore. The teachers opinion and recent change may be related. Some places do divinations for each potential retreatant to see if it's the right time for them to go on retreat - this is something I will do if ever considering a retreat.

Until I read this topic, I had no idea what exactly is a "Holy Guardian Angel". I thought it was the same as guardian angel. But Crowley is a Satanist, so I wouldn't really subscribe to this teachings.

Then you didnt really read through the topic did you.

The centuries old tradition and the developments of insights into this concept that has been around since pre Zoroastrianism and appeared in some form or other in just about every modern world religious movement ,or expression ... because one modern populist revamper re-coined the term and put it out there, doesnt mean the whole concept is no good because he was a 'satanist', it just misses the whole point IMO.

• Like 1

Ego as a psychological term and function is different from the term 'egotistical';

Ego ; the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought : the part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and the unconscious and is responsible for reality testing and a sense of personal identity : one of the three constructs in Sigmund Freud's structural model of the psyche, etc.

Egotistical : excessively conceited or absorbed in oneself; self-centred : Someone who is egotistical has incredibly high confidence in themselves. They often tend to be very pretentious and arrogant : 

Ego as used in psychology and philosophy is a different concept as it is used in  New Age/Eastern  'understanding'.

Its as 'true' as the world it functions in.

Its 'truth' however needs 'modification' from aspects beyond the ego.

Whether the 'true self' is centered in ego or concepts 'beyond' ego, is a big philosophical debate. I suppose first, we would have to work out what 'true self' actually means. And why the concept of 'true self' should automatically be centred outside of the ego (the central outward functioning part of the psyche); one could even claim the true self lies within the Id but is modified from without (by a feedback loop from others and society) ; the Super-ego , then forming the false social self or 'personna' of the ego.

Is 'true-self' centred in concepts of socio-cultural relationships ( laws, rules, paradigms, mores and taboos) : individuality going through the process of individuation / initiation or is true self centred in Super-ego that is actually formed via feedback from others?

• Like 1

Its as 'true' as the world it functions in.

Its 'truth' however needs 'modification' from aspects beyond the ego.

Whether the 'true self' is centered in ego or concepts 'beyond' ego, is a big philosophical debate. I suppose first, we would have to work out what 'true self' actually means. And why the concept of 'true self' should automatically be centred outside of the ego (the central outward functioning part of the psyche); one could even claim the true self lies within the Id but is modified from without (by a feedback loop from others and society) ; the Super-ego , then forming the false social self or 'personna' of the ego.

Is 'true-self' centred in concepts of socio-cultural relationships ( laws, rules, paradigms, mores and taboos) : individuality going through the process of individuation / initiation or is true self centred in Super-ego that is actually formed via feedback from others?

In astrology, sometimes the Moon is seen as representing the ego, reflecting the light of the Sun or the Self/Soul. At other times, the Sun is the conscious personality, whereas the Moon stands for the subconscious. I have heard an alchemist say that the ego and the solar self are actually one and the same - if only the former would realize it and allow itself to be illuminated. Interestingly, Zen says basically this very thing.

Yet a transformational process is essential. Saturn stakes out the boundaries of the ego or conscious personality. He is represented alchemically by the lead which needs to be transmuted into gold.

Yes, we need some more precise definitions and concepts.

Oh, I agree with you. I was just taking it to a deeper level. I actually hate the 'who are you', even more so the ' and what do you do' questions ... unless one wants a real answer, and we both have the time.

otherwise it is shallow and meanigless (as you point out) as the girl at the supermarket checkout'

"How are you today?"

"Good thank you."

"Have a nice day :) "

Arrrggghhh!

(I will leave it up to you to imagine my sometimes answers to those questions.)

Who am I ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmuDH8cgG0

;)

It was a decent book that I was able to pick up a few gems from regarding the entity itself. I most enjoyed the passages by Rufus Opus, Jason Miller and Michael Cecchetelli. Out of all the contributions only one selection made my eyes glaze over like a tired snail and I just skipped it. But overall it was a good collection that I enjoyed and found insightful to a noob like myself. Felt the need to pass it on to others whom can pick up a few gems from its pages. :)

• Like 2

Sometimes authors make huge mistakes, and actually they call the animal ego as guardian angel. Black magic distorts things and turns them upside down by calling the diabolic intelligence within as divine and giving it a "holy" name. The Gnostic master Samael Aun Weor clarifies:

Guardian Angel

"The flaming powers of the Guardian Angel are truly extraordinary, marvelous, and extremely divine. I know what the Guardian Angel is from purely Gnostic sources, secretly kept in monasteries of initiation. These bear no resemblance to common pseudo-Christianity and pseudo-occultism which are accessible to the general public." - Samael Aun Weor, The Secret Doctrine of Anahuac, and Dream Yoga

Guardian of the Threshold

"Theurgy is one thing and Necromancy is another... The internal master of the Theurgist is the Intimate. The internal master of the Necromancer is his Guardian of the Threshold to whom they call the guardian of their consciousness, the guardian of the precinct, the guardian of their chamber, the guardian of their sanctum... The Intimate is our Divine Spirit, our Real Being, our Internal Angel. The Guardian of the Threshold is the internal depth of our animal “I.”

The Intimate is the ardent flame of Horeb. In accordance with Moses, the Intimate is the Ruach Elohim who sowed the waters in the beginning of the world. He is the Sun King, our Divine Monad, the Alter Ego of Cicerone. The Guardian of the Threshold is our Satan... our internal beast, the source of all of our animal passions and brutal appetites... The Real Being of the Theurgist is the Intimate. The superior “I” of the Necromancer is the Guardian of the Threshold.

The powers of the Intimate are divine. The powers of the Guardian of the Threshold are diabolic. The Theurgist worships the Intimate. The Necromancer worships the Guardian of the Threshold. The Theurgist avails himself with the power of his Intimate in order to perform his great works of practical magic. The Necromancer worships the Guardian of the Threshold for his works of black magic." - Samael Aun Weor, The Revolution of Beelzebub

Edited by FieryWind
  • Like 1

Although the wiki links above suggest 'Fravashi' equates with HGA, I dont agree. This seems closer to 'spirit' : " There is another spiritual component that resides in all of creation, living and not living, called the fravashi (later farvard). .... The fravashi can be thought of as the hand of God in all of creation, .... While the soul is personal, the fravashi is universal..."

IMO Khvarenah is the closer concept : " The khvarenah is the archetype of the person one can grow to if allowed to grow to the limit of her or his capacity ....The khvarenah is also a person's higher calling - their meaning in life. Every human being is endowed with natural talents that can be harnessed and developed to achieve one's highest potential, one's latent destiny in life, or one's higher calling. ... The khvarenah is specific to a person and is different for each person. The khvarenah that does not belong to a person cannot be seized by another person. The implication is that we should be content with our khvarenah and not be jealous and greedy of the other's khvarenah (here, good fortune) through. ... When all human beings realize their calling or full potential in grace, the world will attain vahishtem anghuim &frasho-kereti - the ultimate and ideal future existence, ( I would venture that that applies to the individual as well) ... Human beings often limit or loose themselves. In either case, they do not achieve their full potential or capacity. While to some extent, a person's lot in life is determined by birth and circumstance, a person can find her or his latent khvarenah or calling by envisioning the person one aspires to become in grace, and then taking steps to realize the khvarenah despite daunting obstacles and adversity. ... A person's realization of her or his khvarenah is evidenced by a halo (farr in Persian), glowing brightly over her or his head - radiant as the sun. ... "

The soul or 'Urvan' is different again .

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/overview/simplified.htm#fravashi

[ This is the root religion of the Magi or 'Zurvani' ( a later development * - after all, this is supposedly the tradition (and root of the word) of Magic . ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zurvanism

Nungali, you might like this:

Other people may enjoy it also.
  • Like 2

Going to dredge up the past are you ?

WTF you say?

I say; thank you very much for showing a way through the obscure.

Samurai.jpg

Thats one mean lookin' HGA ya got there ! :unsure:

""Domo arigato gozaimashita nankaina Sesai"

It's Japanese.

Domo arigato gozaimashita = thank you very much (past tense) [どうもありがとうございます.]

nankaina sesai = I'm not sure. nankaina is possibly a person's name? 難解な

sesai = sensai? 先生

am i close with the nankaina sesai, Nungali?

Sometimes authors make huge mistakes, and actually they call the animal ego as guardian angel. Black magic distorts things and turns them upside down by calling the diabolic intelligence within as divine and giving it a "holy" name. The Gnostic master Samael Aun Weor clarifies:

Guardian Angel

"The flaming powers of the Guardian Angel are truly extraordinary, marvelous, and extremely divine. I know what the Guardian Angel is from purely Gnostic sources, secretly kept in monasteries of initiation. These bear no resemblance to common pseudo-Christianity and pseudo-occultism which are accessible to the general public." - Samael Aun Weor, The Secret Doctrine of Anahuac, and Dream Yoga

Guardian of the Threshold

"Theurgy is one thing and Necromancy is another... The internal master of the Theurgist is the Intimate. The internal master of the Necromancer is his Guardian of the Threshold to whom they call the guardian of their consciousness, the guardian of the precinct, the guardian of their chamber, the guardian of their sanctum... The Intimate is our Divine Spirit, our Real Being, our Internal Angel. The Guardian of the Threshold is the internal depth of our animal “I.”

The Intimate is the ardent flame of Horeb. In accordance with Moses, the Intimate is the Ruach Elohim who sowed the waters in the beginning of the world. He is the Sun King, our Divine Monad, the Alter Ego of Cicerone. The Guardian of the Threshold is our Satan... our internal beast, the source of all of our animal passions and brutal appetites... The Real Being of the Theurgist is the Intimate. The superior “I” of the Necromancer is the Guardian of the Threshold.

The powers of the Intimate are divine. The powers of the Guardian of the Threshold are diabolic. The Theurgist worships the Intimate. The Necromancer worships the Guardian of the Threshold. The Theurgist avails himself with the power of his Intimate in order to perform his great works of practical magic. The Necromancer worships the Guardian of the Threshold for his works of black magic." - Samael Aun Weor, The Revolution of Beelzebub

Everything about this quote is accurate.

The HGA is one's Higher Genius.

The Guardian is the serpent force which has been commanded to keep us in bondage.

How anyone could confuse the two, I do not know.

Fr. UFA

""Domo arigato gozaimashita nankaina Sesai"

It's Japanese.

Domo arigato gozaimashita = thank you very much (past tense) [どうもありがとうございます.]

nankaina sesai = I'm not sure. nankaina is possibly a person's name? 難解な

sesai = sensai? 先生

am i close with the nankaina sesai, Nungali?

Well, I am not even good with English grammar so ....

thank you very much for showing a way through ( ie.being sesai or like a teacher) the obscure (or difficult parts of ) the 'esoteric ' (nakaina - 難解な . )

I should have actually said 'aimaina nakaina'

https://translate.google.com.au/?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&client=tw-ob#auto/ja/esoteric

Not sure if the link to these ebooks on the HGA has already been posted, apologies if they have:

http://www.theomagica.com/ebooks

Ahhh ... that site ! It has an interesting article on the 'Asiatic Brethren' and the roots of ( ? ) The Hermetic Brotherhood of Luxor ( related to P.B. Randolph and the beginnings of {specifically} western Tantra and 'sex magic'.

And other stuff.... like a GENIUS & EVIL DEMON CALCULATOR :D

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Had some recent experiences this year that I'd like to share regarding working with ones HGA. I've heard from a variety of practitioners that Angels or Higher Beings tend to be better in working the "Big PIcture" in any particular Magick.....but are not as adept at handling the minutiae or specifics of a situation.

I've experienced this in very intense ways in the last year. When you ask your HGA to help you with short term mundane things.....it tends to take the stance of:

"You know what......your really holding yourself back....you have the power to accomplish this objective on your own.....you just need the right "incentive to get past those self imposed limitations. So what I'm going to do is start stacking the coals under your ass and set them ablaze until you get moving."

My experience has been that when the coals start cooking you have no choice but to explode past whats blocking you like a cork shooting out of a champagne bottle. You either explode into newness or fall into depression, futility and stagnation until you get your ass in gear.

I've heard similar experiences from many practitioners....anyone else have any funny stories of getting there asses kicked by Angels? :P

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1