Actually you got the wrong impression, I don't hate you at all. Any TTBs debating was just that, a difference of opinion. (anything else was just simple annoyance due to policy stuff).

I'll go with medium sugar though, thank you :).

I hope your bagua is better than your playing poker. Do not play poker by the way.

You can stay at my house. But I have to ask permission from minister of interior, my wife.

VERY good :D ... see! I knew you had a sense of humour !

The point is, how will I present you to her? "Honey, a guy who thinks that Aborigines, a negative magician called Crowley and many other things are related wants to be our guest. Is it ok?" How is that?

Not too good. How about this; "Honey, a guy who looks for the connection between everything and tries to find areas where very different things relate to each other so he can help bring peace and understanding between very different peoples by understanding their view point wants to be our guest. You must cook him beautiful Turkish food and I will take him to the Blue Mosque and the archeological and spiritual sites of Turkey. He is a bit different and wild and lives in nature so he smells a bit ... but he will sleep in the garden.

• Like 1

Or this;

"Honey; prepare a feast ... a man from another country and culture is coming here. he will leave all his ideas at the airport and come here to learn new things and .... "

Wait a minute ! Did you say poker? Please don't tell me you gamble ????

NO! Seriously ... gambling is BAD! that is the ONE thing I cannot accept! Please tell me you do not gamble in your house ... if you do I cannot come there ... any house that gambles in it, anyone who enters will go to hell. gambling is from Satan you know?

And coffee is the drink of Satan ! did you know that? .... SUGAR ! .... Don't start me on sugar ..... :angry:

OMG! Coffee gambling and sugar :(

This changes everything!

Now; "Honey ... everything has changed ... still make the food though ... he will have take-away."

Well, in the meantime and to post something constructive while I await for the promised posts; I was wondering what people think about the Wiki article on HGA?

What about Crowley’s changing view? … I am not keen on Carroll ( two HGA’s each of them ???) .

Crowley is closer IMO with his “The absence of his bodily, mental and astral consciousness is indeed cardinal to success, for it is their usurpation of his attention which has made him deaf to his” [this bit; ] “ Soul, and his preoccupation with their affairs that has prevented him from perceiving that Soul “

I note the world Soul . In other places I talked about soul in the sense of how we have lost our ‘soul / Psyche; see the myth of Psyche, and Gemini (twins with one immortal and one mortal) and its tarot card The Lovers (or ‘brothers’). I wrote how soul has been subsumed and virtually consumed (and hidden or repressed in) ‘spirit’ and the only polarity we have left is ‘material’ i.e. from 3 ideas to 2 so now the dominant view (in modern societies but not indigenous ones) is two worlds, either/ or spirit or matter. The third world is the ‘Daimonic World’ I have written about too.

This relates , in the Wiki article; “Crowley seems to consider it equivalent to the Genius of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, the Augoeides of Iamblichus, the Atman of Hinduism, and the Daemon of the ancient Greeks.” To understand THAT one needs familiarity with the Neo-Platonists. But it also a common theme through much of the history of Hermetics, a mode that took in GD / deck/Crowley/Thoth deck.

A comprehensive study of the concept (going by definition of the article linked to – I realise many will have their own ideas what the words Holy Guardian Angel means) starts with, as referenced; “ Zoroastrian Arda Fravaš ('Holy Guardian Angels')”. And back to the first Levantine religion, however this is hardly known and who has ever read the Avestas … even though they are some of our earliest records, on par at least with the earliest Vedas? I talked about this in other posts too. This religion’s latter priests bore the title Magi and gave us the word Magic. Many religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Baha’i) owe much to Zoroastrianism as the originator of many key concepts in our spiritualitly philosophy and religion. And concepts of Holy Guardian Angels and various hierarchies of Yazatas or angels.

That’s a starting point to hep understand the origin of the idea … then track it to Egypt in Alexandria where it was a large factor in the Alexandrian Synthesis ; add other influences including Egyptian Hermetics, Greeks … and anyone with a boat, trade and books (hence the Great Library of Alexandria), then more teachers studying and philosophising giving rise to the Egyptian teachers (and others) of the first classic Greek Philosophers; probably eventually via Socrates ,Plato, Neo Platonists, migrations out, as well, to places like Harran , Turkey, Syria and further. Eventually to be picked by Islam and imported into Europe via Sicily, Spain and other Islamic ports and settlements in Europe and by the Crusades. Then the classic age of Hermetics in Europe. Then a decline, then a revival then a collapse with, closer to our time, an upsurge in it polarity; ‘ Aristotelian rationalism’ , church opposition, and eventually resurgences resulting in criss cross fertilisation of occult groups and the GD and Crowley wrapping that all up (and Waite too in his way) in a bunch of books about magic/k, THIS tradition I am writing about (the Golden Chain) and several tarot decks with Crowley (and others) drawing out this HGA idea as a central theme in practical magick and linking it all through the Thoth Deck .

And EVERYONE has added, removed, blended and developed the concepts along the way … up to the present.

However I find the article makes a valid quote: “It is impossible to lay down precise rules by which a man may attain to the knowledge and conversation of His Holy Guardian Angel; for that is the particular secret of each one of us; a secret not to be told or even divined by any other, whatever his grade. It is the Holy of Holies, whereof each man is his own High Priest, and none knoweth the Name of his brother's God, or the Rite that invokes Him.”

And also this : “Crowley only espouses a view that the Holy Guardian Angel is the 'silent self' in his early life. In his late sixties, when composing Magick Without Tears, he presents a very different view. According to this definition, the Holy Guardian Angel is not one's 'self', but an independent and discrete being, who may have been a human like oneself at one stage.”

Now we get to the ‘objective/subjective ‘dilemma’, is the angel part of us or an angel ‘out there’?

If we try to nut out if the HGA has a separate existence from us or is a higher part of us we need to understand all possibilities are reality … as to seek an either /or classification is part of the dualist dialogue. The HGA may well be the our ‘lost soul’, psyche, Psyche, and that is the third part of our being we are trying to find; it has a daimonic nature so it partakes of both worlds and is in its own world … but we can access it. Where ‘our’ HGA ‘intersects’ with us , that is our soul (whatever that means for you) and where that energy exists ‘external’ (to be dualistic ) is Anima Mundi ; the soul of the world. It is also, in terms of Jungian psyche and nearly ALL of our mythology, a journey to redeem our own ‘feminine’ in ourselves (man and woman) and in the world … we could do with it.

Then there is the Thelemic concept of Hadit a complex subject, perhaps dealt with separately. Except to say that Hadit is the centre that is everywhere … it can be in the centre of the world or the centre of your heart ; as the priest says in the Gnostic Mass, “I am the flame that burns in every heart of man, and in the core of every star,” ( from The Book of the Law).

If that is hard to understand how ‘one thing’ can be both in one place and another at the same time but that is the essential nature of the daimonic world and if that seems crazy read some quantum physics.

I am sure there are other definitions relevant to outside the reference to the article; I can think of one; I was bought up in a Roman Catholic household. Over my childhood bed was a picture of two innocent children crossing a rather rickety bridge over a deep scary and wild gorge an angel was in the air and assisting them … I was told that was my Guardian Angel (they never used the word ‘Holy”). In this case the angel isn’t split in two but is looking after two children (that is a classic example of a daemonic realm, mythological theme inversion by the way) …

Doing double duty that one J

Crowley gives us an image in his tarot deck:

http://www.keepsilence.org/liberxxii/assets/img/medium/trump_14_art.jpg

Here the ‘worlds’ intersect to create one being from both of them … inverse daimonic ‘inward’ manifestation of the ‘outward’ manifestation of the ‘split being’ whose soul is lost and sought to be found by reuniting the two.

Note:, Gemini represents the two halves seeking union here we have the ‘inversion’: “This card is the complement and the fulfilment of Atu VI, Gemini. It pertains to Sagittarius, the opposite to Gemini in the Zodiac” *

Also ; “The first problem of alchemy was to raise mineral to vegetable life; the adepts thought that the proper way to do this was to imitate the processes of nature. Distillation, for instance, was not an operation to be performed by heating something in a retort over a flame; it had to take place naturally, even if months were required to consummate the Work. (Months, at that period of civilization, were at the disposal of enquiring minds.)” *

Finding ones True Will and ‘developing contact’ with the HGA may require an ‘alchemical circular distillation’ being involved in the HGA /True Will processes. “ Visit the interior parts of the earth: by rectification thou shalt find the hidden stone”*

And a divinatory meaning that seems relevant to Rituals to invoke the HGA : “success after elaborate manoeuvres” *

*Quoted from the Book of Thoth.

Thankyou … brilliant …

Always loved that piece but never saw the clip before … very psychologically (re this topic) apt IMO.

(had a disturbed friend who had that dream most of her life … she could never turn and face them … very frustrating for me as I knew what would happen if she did … years later , messed up and still running.)

I will add some more in a different vein … maybe we can get a little compendium of variant view happening.

For me the whole concept of HGA is tied up with (or laid over ) the concept of the True Will (in Thelema, that is guys … not the ‘free will’ ( pre-emptive strike there) .

Musings :

I think Crowley may have embedded and given us a clue in certain Tarot cards aside from the Major; ART. Have a look at the 2 of wands:

http://shadesofmidnight.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/2-of-wands-thoth.jpg

Crowley describes this card as two crossed Dorjes (I know they are more like Phurba but I want to go with what he intended from the text).I am postulating that they represent the HGA and the True Will, consider:

Firstly, the depth of the Vajra symbolism and what we are discussing here (Maybe one can’t get it fully until one studies the symbolism of Vajra and the related books (like in the Thelemic stuff / Magick / Thoth tarot ) ?

But the ‘Old Boy’ did ‘stick it in’ the deck … in that place, for a reason.

I can see a map emerging that Crowley outlined in a certain manner, but nowhere did he offer the detailed cosmology like the Buddhists did ; maybe that is why he studied (and encouraged) us to study) Buddhism ?

{ Warning: avoid reading if getting bored by obscure nungali linked symbolism }

“Vajra (Devanagari: वज्र; Chinese: 金剛 jīngāng; Korean: 금강저 geumgangjeo; Tibetan: རྡོ་རྗེ། dorje; Dzongkha (Bhutan): dorji; Japanese: 金剛杵 kongōsho) is a Sanskrit word meaning both thunderbolt and diamond.

“ … it is a symbolic ritual object that symbolizes both the properties of a diamond (indestructibility) and a thunderbolt (irresistible force).

“ The earliest mention of the Vajra is in the Rigveda, a part of four Vedas. It is described as the weapon of Indra, the god of heaven and the chief deity of the Rigvedic pantheon. Indra is described as using the Vajra to kill sinners and ignorant persons. The Rigveda states that the weapon was made for Indra by Tvastar, the maker of divine instruments.

“ In Buddhism the vajra is the symbol of Vajrayana, one of the three major branches of Buddhism. Vajrayana is translated as "Thunderbolt Way" or "Diamond Way" and can imply the thunderbolt experience of Buddhist enlightenment or bodhi. It also implies indestructibility, just as diamonds are harder than other gemstones.

In the tantric traditions of Buddhism, the vajra is a symbol for the nature of reality, or sunyata, indicating endless creativity, potency, and skillful activity.” (IMO obvious expressions of the True Will. )

“ The practice of prefixing terms, names, places, and so on by vajra represents the conscious attempt to recognize the transcendental aspect of all phenomena; it became part of the process of "sacramentalizing" the activities of the spiritual practitioner and encouraged him to engage all his psychophysical energies in the spiritual life.

Some components which make up the Vajra “ … One represents the phenomenal world (or in Buddhist terms Samsara), the other represents the noumenal world (or Nirvana). This is one of the fundamental dichotomies which are perceived by the unenlightened. The physical manifestation of the vajra, also called dorje in this context, is the male organ.” (a favourite Crowley ‘Holy Symbol’)

And

“ … made up of two or more animals, often representing the union of opposites, (or a harmonisation of qualities that transcend our usual experience) “ … like the Art card.

“There is an elaborate system of correspondences between the five elements of the noumenal side of the vajra, and the phenomenal side.”

Poison : Wisdom : Buddha

Desire: wisdom of individuality- discriminating wisdom :Amitabha

Anger/ hatred : mirror-like wisdom :Akshobhya

delusion :reality wisdom :Vairocana

greed/ pride : wisdom of equanimity: Ratnasambhava

envy: all-accomplishing wisdom :Amoghasiddhi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajra

Thank you very much Nungali for your contributions on this subject.

I for one would appreciate any more on topic discussion.

Someone mentioned above, forgive me if I mangle this idea, that the HGA could be seen as a personal "higher self" or "daemon," an "independent" entity or even some over soul or perhaps perfect future unified soul of humanity, ie "it is the same avatara that descends" etc.

Perhaps it combines the nature of all three.

I wonder if anyone has any comments to make regarding any possible connections between encountering the HGA and the moment of sudden "enlightenment" as described in so many traditions.

Someone mentioned above, forgive me if I mangle this idea, that the HGA could be seen as a personal "higher self" or "daemon," an "independent" entity or even some over soul or perhaps perfect future unified soul of humanity, ie "it is the same avatara that descends" etc.

Trad HGA sources karpumpmf the idea of HGA being higher self but that could be to do with the shallow New Age concept (that any idea, complex, neurosis or unconscious break out (or spit up) can have divine implications ... however I am sure there are some sensible people that might want the title New Age that see the 'Higher Self' in alight compatible to the concept of HGA.

In any case it certainly combines 'all three' worlds (although my classification of what the three worlds are is different in terms from above). I have posts scattered around here about that ... see' daimonic world' and other phrases with daimonic (specific tag spelling) .... I have tried the search function here to locate my posts but it seemed very slow with no results ???

here is the guru of 3 world Daimonic theory :

http://www.harpur.org/PJCHdaimonicreality.htm

I wonder if anyone has any comments to make regarding any possible connections between encountering the HGA and the moment of sudden "enlightenment" as described in so many traditions.

Sorry, nothing sudden about it in mine ... more like a tide gradually rising .

Edited by Nungali

Captain Mar-Vell, on 10 Nov 2013 - 08:16, said:

I wonder if anyone has any comments to make regarding any possible connections between encountering the HGA and the

moment of sudden "enlightenment" as described in so many traditions.

Sorry, nothing sudden about it in mine ... more like a tide gradually rising .

Are you saying that you are enlightened?

Thanks,

Jeff

Are you saying that you are enlightened? Thanks, Jeff

We all are but we just forgot :)

• Like 1

As I have pointed out before:

The popularity of the concept of Guardian Angel in modern Neo-magic is due to Aleister Crowley.

Crowley says that he decided to use the Holy Guardian Angel “ . . . in order to avoid the clouding of the mind by doubt and metaphysical speculation.” He summarizes his attitude here:

He who became the Master Therion was once confronted by this very difficulty. Being determined to instruct mankind, He sought a simple statement of his object. His will was sufficiently informed by common sense to decide him to teach man The Next Step, the thing which was immediately above him. He might have called this "God", or "The Higher Self", or "The Augoeides", or "Adi-Buddha", or 61 other things -but He had discovered that these were all one, yet that each one represented some theory of the Universe which would ultimately be shattered by criticism - for He had already passed through the realm of Reason, and knew that every statement contained an absurdity. He therefore said: "Let me declare this Work under this title: 'The obtaining of the Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel' ", because the theory implied in these words is so patently absurd that only simpletons would waste much time in analysing it. It would be accepted as a convention, and no one would incur the grave danger of building a philosophical system upon it. (Aleister Crowley, Magick in Theory and Practice, Castle Books, ND, P. 20, Emphasis mine, ZYD)

That this failed is obvious from the fact that a hundred or so years later we are still engaging in 'metaphysical speculation' on the subject of the Holy Guardian Angel. Also, I suppose this means that the contributors to, and possibly the readers of, this thread are simpletons, but then I have not limited myself to Crowley's opinions on these matters for decades and I don't think anyone else should either.

I find the higher self and HGA to be quite different, but things which are difficult to put into words. Well for example higher self is part of me, HGA is separate from me.. but with me for life, and perhaps several lifetimes. Yes there is the uniting during the Abramelin working, however still quite a bit different than the higher self I find.

Traditional sources would agree with Baquakicksass on this point and I hope over the next few days to quote some of them so that us poor simpletons can benefit from the writings of other poor simpletons such as Plato, Plotinus, Iamblichus, Ficino, Agrippa and finally the author(s) Adeptus Minor curriculum of the Golden Dawn.

Having watched this thread between posts, I think that the distinction between the Greek/Latin Daimon/Daemon and demon as used in modern usage may bedevil us, so I recommend some posts that I made early on which I have tried to salvage here:

Theurgia-Goetia, on Gods and Demons

By creating a series of links to them which begin here:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/27141-theurgia-goetia-on-gods-and-demons/?p=405624

and which trace the evolution of the concept of 'demon' from its origin in the Greek 'daimon' from the writings of Plato to the end of the Hellenistic period. A review of this may save some misunderstanding as I proceed in my next few posts on this thread.

Edit: Added 'Emphasis mine' note in Crowley quote.

Edited by Zhongyongdaoist
  • Like 2

It sure feels like it at the time :). You feel 100% and completely connected with your HGA, the divine and all things in the universe. Also you feel this vast sense of freedom, as if you have released all things.

Is there such things as being enlightened for a few hours? ;) I think enlightenment would be perhaps being in that state 24x7, if it is even akin to that. I haven't really read any books about what enlightenment is, so I have no idea. However, I can most definitely say that I am not enlightened, but that I have united with my HGA.

Crowley says that he decided to use the Holy Guardian Angel “ . . . in order to avoid the clouding of the mind by doubt and metaphysical speculation.” He summarizes his attitude here:

That this failed is obvious from the fact that a hundred or so years later we are still engaging in 'metaphysical speculation' on the subject of the Holy Guardian Angel. Also, I suppose this means that the contributors to, and possibly the readers of, this thread are simpletons, but then I have not limited myself to Crowley's opinions on these matters for decades and I don't think anyone else should either.

Traditional sources would agree with Baquakicksass on this point and I hope over the next few days to quote some of them so that us poor simpletons can benefit from the writings of other poor simpletons such as Plato, Plotinus, Iamblichus, Ficino, Agrippa and finally the author(s) Adeptus Minor curriculum of the Golden Dawn.

Having watched this thread between posts, I think that the distinction between the Greek/Latin Daimon/Daemon and demon as used in modern usage may bedevil us, so I recommend some posts that I made early on which I have tried to salvage here:

and which trace the evolution of the concept of 'demon' from its origin in the Greek 'daimon' from the writings of Plato to the end of the Hellenistic period. A review of this may save some misunderstanding as I proceed in my next few posts on this thread.

Knowing Crowley though, it is entirely possible that he had some deeper meaning to simpletons, and it was made to make the magician think in some new way. However not sure what it might be in this case...

I've always felt/seen the Daimon as something different, and have worked with this concept as well (but only a little). I am still short one Ibis feather for this particular experiment ;).

I wonder if anyone has any comments to make regarding any possible connections between encountering the HGA and the moment of sudden "enlightenment" as described in so many traditions....

While I dont think finding the guardian relates to "satori", I saw something like these eyes during my last extended encounter with this aspect:

tumblr_mh1mdqaKIi1s1fji4o1_500.gif

On virtually every stupa (Buddhist shrine) in Nepal, there are giant pairs of eyes staring out from the four sides of the main tower.

These are Buddha Eyes (also known as Wisdom Eyes), and they look out in the four directions to symbolize the omniscience (all-seeing) of a Buddha.

The Buddha eyes are so prevalent throughout the country that they have become a symbol of Nepal itself. Between the Buddha's eyes where the nose would be is a curly symbol that looks like question mark.

This is the Nepali character for the number 1, which symbolizes unity of all the things as well as the one way to reach enlightenment—through the Buddha's teachings.

Above this is a third eye, symbolizing the all-seeing wisdom of the Buddha.

• Like 1

Are you saying that you are enlightened? Thanks, Jeff

No ... but the tide is rising

..... compared to the swampy mud flats that used to be there.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

Thank you .. I wanted to find that quote but had trouble remembering and my LIBER ABBA IS GONE !

No idea where ... did I lend THAT out surely not ! :blink:

It sure feels like it at the time :). You feel 100% and completely connected with your HGA, the divine and all things in the universe. Also you feel this vast sense of freedom, as if you have released all things.

Is there such things as being enlightened for a few hours? ;) I think enlightenment would be perhaps being in that state 24x7, if it is even akin to that. I haven't really read any books about what enlightenment is, so I have no idea. However, I can most definitely say that I am not enlightened, but that I have united with my HGA.

Thank you very much for your insights. Could you describe at all the event you refer to as "uniting" with your HGA?

As to the rest of the recent posts, I see I have some reading to do.

I have had some experiences myself, that I am seeking to understand more fully.

A very great many thanks to Zhongyongdaoist for the above material. Plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

Reading through some of your other material I was surprised to find that few know of Plato's mysticism. It's quite clear, I would have thought. And of course, Socrates and Pythagoras too. Did they get their knowledge from Egypt or India? Or Persia? I guess this kind of stuff was disseminated throughout the ancient world. I wonder where it originated?

I seem to have had the experience which demonstrates the truth of the most ancient Pythagorean doctrine of transmigration of soul(s).

I think I also encountered my "HGA," which entered into me.

Its a very long story.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

A very great many thanks to Zhongyongdaoist for the above material. Plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

Reading through some of your other material I was surprised to find that few know of Plato's mysticism. It's quite clear, I would have thought. And of course, Socrates and Pythagoras too. Did they get their knowledge from Egypt or India? Or Persia? I guess this kind of stuff was disseminated throughout the ancient world. I wonder where it originated?

Back on topic.

I had the experience which demonstrates the truth of the most ancient Pythagorean doctrine of transmigration of soul(s).

I think I also encountered my "HGA," which entered into me.

Its a very long story.

A spiritual guide never but never enters the physical body of a human. If it enters you, this means it is negative.

After reading your sentence, I thought, if I were Spider Man, my spider senses would warn me : "Danger! Danger! Negative! Negative"

Edited by Isimsiz Biri

Thank you for your concern, Isimsiz Biri. There are very many things I could add.

Perhaps "entered me" is an ill choice of words.

But does not the "Holy Spirit" "enter" into some?

This happened largely in the imaginal world, yet was very real and definite.

I believe it was a blessing.

It was accompanied by a physical healing.

Your caveats are well noted, though.

But I shan't be seeking an exorcism any time soon, thank you very much.

On edit: I'll be bowing out of this thread. Please don't be upset if I don't address comments or questions directed to me personally. And please continue the fascinating discussion!

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Thank you for your concern, Isimsiz Biri. There are very many things I could add.

Perhaps "entered me" is an ill choice of words.

But does not the "Holy Spirit" "enter" into some?

This happened largely in the imaginal world, yet was very real and definite.

I believe it was a blessing.

It was accompanied by a physical healing.

Your caveats are well noted, though.

But I shan't be seeking an exorcism any time soon, thank you very much.

On edit: I'll be bowing out of this thread. Please don't be upset if I don't address comments or questions directed to me personally. And please continue the fascinating discussion!

Your body is your private area. No positive being enters your body. This includes Holy Spirit too.

Your body is your private area. No positive being enters your body. This includes Holy Spirit too.

No such thing as private.

The universe is one.

There are no external entities to enter or depart.

Only aspects of self we have yet to reconcile or recognize.