Melanie

Opinions on nessesity of Masters

My path has led me to many teachers. Teachers who are unaware they teach and even less aware of what they teach. But despite this I have found no master and I was wondering your opinion on this.

I have read that masters will cross your path when it is time, but my path has lead me to a town that I am unable and unwilling to leave for a while and my intuition tells me that there is no Taoist master in this town.

This does not mean I have not come across masters in my life, as far as I'm aware I have crossed paths with two Taoist masters and one Buddhist master but I did not ask for guidance from them, each time they smile, I smile, we bow our heads then continue on our paths.

My current teachers are the people and animals of this town as well as the weather and the land. I also am learning from my partner, her kitten, our friends, and my friend/familiar Wujing (a tortoise who is teaching me a lot about Qi cultivation). These and a copy of the Tao Te Ching are the center of my Taoist study at this time, I had other books but they got left when I moved.

So I guess my question would be this. Should I be concerned about my studies and practice since I lack a master to guide me, should I be actively searching for one or is it always better to just go as the path leads? Can enlightenment be obtained without an official guide?

• Like 1

There are two ways of looking for a master,

One way is looking for a master because of really need one

Another way is you looking for a master because you feel like you need a master since everyone else has a master, or something, the second way is ego driven and not from necessity

You get quality masters only from the first one :lol:

• Like 1

I think a lot of times people find a master and think "oh this is my ticket to enlightenment" but that master can't lead them past a certain point, and even getting to that point takes yeeears so its disappointing.

and some people are just born with their kundalini awake or their mind open or whatever you want to look at it as, and they can just sit for years and attain liberation, they don't really need a master.

but those 2nd people are *very* rare, and a good teacher always helps IMO. I tend to think that personal cultivation is enough until you reach a point when you will just magnetically attract a master whether you are looking for one consciously or not.

what kind of master are you looking for? you mentioned enlightenment, are you looking for a meditation master?

because Mark Griffin can take a student a long way just with his online stuff, streaming intensives, distance shaktipat via web streaming, and podcasts/mp3s of his dharma talks and lectures. You can check him out at www.hardlight.org

I think a lot of times people find a master and think "oh this is my ticket to enlightenment" but that master can't lead them past a certain point, and even getting to that point takes yeeears so its disappointing.

and some people are just born with their kundalini awake or their mind open or whatever you want to look at it as, and they can just sit for years and attain liberation, they don't really need a master.

but those 2nd people are *very* rare, and a good teacher always helps IMO. I tend to think that personal cultivation is enough until you reach a point when you will just magnetically attract a master whether you are looking for one consciously or not.

what kind of master are you looking for? you mentioned enlightenment, are you looking for a meditation master?

because Mark Griffin can take a student a long way just with his online stuff, streaming intensives, distance shaktipat via web streaming, and podcasts/mp3s of his dharma talks and lectures. You can check him out at www.hardlight.org

Oh no one in particular I was more just curious on the opinions others had on its necessity. I've at least twice come across books that felt like the author was yelling at me for not finding a master or being monastic.

As for personal goals I dont really have one, other then polishing my intuition, compassion and understanding all of which I shall be cultivating for a lifetime. I actually enjoy the path I am on, while I use to want to obtain immortality and power I now desire neither. I meditate and cultivate energy mostly to renew the serenity that I enjoy and other rely on me having. As for online teaching, my web access at this time is a little phone that Skype doesn't work well on so I don't think online teaching would work that well. It seems I shall just continue with my personal practice and if a true need for a master arises I will either know or one will find me.

I agree with what you and Sinfest say and shall take your advice to heart. Thank you.

I'd also enjoy others opinions if they would like to share.

Keep learning from you tortoise. : ) They are very wise animals. I personally think you already have a nice energy about you.

You don't need a master if you are honest to yourself, around nature, and seek a pure and sincere life. I've had many masters before. But the truth is: masters can only teach you at your level, anyhow.

What I mean is your progress is still up to you and your sincerity. That is, you are one who determines the speed of your evolution.

And ironically, the more you strive, the longer it will take. The best way to speed your evolution is not some secret mantra or internal alchemy. It is living a pure life, removing all the habits and thoughts you don't need. It's not living as a monastic, or eating on vegetables, or escaping the world.

It just means retaining your simply human dignity and nobility--that good feeling-- in your heart, no matter the circumstance, no matter where you are.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Oh no one in particular I was more just curious on the opinions others had on its necessity. I've at least twice come across books that felt like the author was yelling at me for not finding a master or being monastic.

As for personal goals I dont really have one, other then polishing my intuition, compassion and understanding all of which I shall be cultivating for a lifetime. I actually enjoy the path I am on, while I use to want to obtain immortality and power I now desire neither. I meditate and cultivate energy mostly to renew the serenity that I enjoy and other rely on me having. As for online teaching, my web access at this time is a little phone that Skype doesn't work well on so I don't think online teaching would work that well. It seems I shall just continue with my personal practice and if a true need for a master arises I will either know or one will find me.

I agree with what you and Sinfest say and shall take your advice to heart. Thank you.

I'd also enjoy others opinions if they would like to share.

• Like 1

Perhaps your current situation is protecting you from masters?❤

Lol, that's a thought that had not occurred to me, but definitely worth considering.

Thank you everyone for your insight and views, I greatly appreciate it. <3

Meetings with remarkable men - Gurdjieff is an interesting book re teachers

Teachers are important as they can see what you need rather than what you think you need.

A good teacher can give proper guidance, removing obstacles on your path. :)

• Like 1

I also ask myself this question occasionally.

My own opinion is to experiment a little bit.

I will hopefully be attending Ya Mus workshop in Finland (stillness movement)

Also

I would love to spend time with bushmen shamans/ratu bagus/bradford keeney

Also shamans maybe iboga

I find after doing Ecstatic spontaneous movement listening to music instead of stillness movement I find it had an extremely profound effect. Ive been missing out on high emotions.

Also I did vipassana and utterly hated the whole thing and the "Master" was an idiot in my opinion. Also Im not fond of some yoga teachers. And some people may consider their religion's preacher a master who says meditation is evil etc.

Anyways this question has too much logic for me at the moment. wheey

• Like 1

My understanding is that you can go pretty far in your practice with Basic techniques such as the Microcosmic Orbit and Inner Smile. However, it is also my understanding that one's process of growth can at times get very rocky and difficult and it is the teacher that helps smooth out the path and guide the student away from pitfalls.

Either way, in the end it is best to learn to listen and follow your intuition. While teachers will often help you in an energetic way....they cannot give you wisdom, learning to listen to your deeper roots rather than the intellect and the emotions is very important and will help you in ways a physical teacher cannot.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

"I did not ask for guidance from them, each time they smile, I smile, we bow our heads then continue on our paths".

and why is that?

I find it more fun and get to understand stuff much faster if I am learning from someone. However having a human teacher is not 'a must'unless you think it is. There is no universal formulas that work for all.

Great post and comments.

I would also add, many masters do not exist in the physical plane but that does not mean we cannot connect to them and learn from them.

External masters (in this universe, dimension, existence, time, and space) are here by necessity (thank you Sinfest!). If humanity was not blind or asleep to our own mastery, there would be no need for masters at all.

The form taken by masters will change according to the time, place, and people.

Sincerely,

-Adam

Are masters necessary?

No.

Are they useful?

Sometimes.

All depends on one's ego-mind, this is the only criterion. The level of its dictation often determines how much seeking is there, following which, the intensity of the search yields proportionate finds.

Masters are always linked to devotion and subservience.

Think carefully before finding whether one is capably willing to go down that road. Many have tried, and eventually, the ego regains control.

Now, teachers are a whole different patch altogether.

In buddhism, there is no encouragement to look for 'masters'... the buzzword is 'spiritual friend', someone whom you can learn to trust, and who trusts you in return. Its more healthy this way.

Edited by C T

Great post and comments.

I would also add, many masters do not exist in the physical plane but that does not mean we cannot connect to them and learn from them.

External masters (in this universe, dimension, existence, time, and space) are here by necessity (thank you Sinfest!). If humanity was not blind or asleep to our own mastery, there would be no need for masters at all.

The form taken by masters will change according to the time, place, and people.

Sincerely,

-Adam

So true!❤

"I did not ask for guidance from them, each time they smile, I smile, we bow our heads then continue on our paths".

and why is that?

Well I recognized the energy they possessed, I could feel and see there auras and energy as well as feel their serenity, these were all very high and impressive. There auras were strong enough that without effort on their part a person who isn't attuned to see energy could see it. I smiled and bowed in recognition of their achievement and progress as well as being courtesy to fellow travelers. I can only assume they did it back out of recognition of another traveler perhaps. We didn't stop for long because there was no need.

My current teachers are the people and animals of this town as well as the weather and the land. I also am learning from my partner, her kitten, our friends, and my friend/familiar Wujing (a tortoise who is teaching me a lot about Qi cultivation). These and a copy of the Tao Te Ching are the center of my Taoist study at this time, I had other books but they got left when I moved.

So I guess my question would be this. Should I be concerned about my studies and practice since I lack a master to guide me, should I be actively searching for one or is it always better to just go as the path leads? Can enlightenment be obtained without an official guide?

Your current teachers are the best teachers in the world. You are your own master along the path of Nature. Nature had given you the ability to learn to cope with everything on your path and you're doing fine with that.

A master can only give you the fundamentals, the rest is up to yourself. You can always learn the fundamentals from elsewhere such as talking to someone that has knowledge of or read a good book. You do not need someone to stay by your side and tell you what to do next.

Enlightenment is based on the wisdom of each individual by intuition or grokking. Anyone can enlighten you with knowledge but no one can help you to attain enlightenment but your own self.

Edited by ChiDragon

Find someone with a skill you admire and learn it from them. With energetic matters you need to test them in your own comfort zones to 'feel' what energy they are transmitting. There is an aura around people, a good teacher will give you something to take with you, not something that requires you to go back to them again and again. With that said in energetic arts there is a joy to practicing in a group setting. Good luck on your quest.