zerostao

What made YOU laugh today/tonight ?

brian the lion, i am so glad you are not cecil the lion rip

anyways back to laughter

10325416_810599045618181_505775902919948

• Like 1

Not laugh, but smile..

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/there-are-whales-alive-today-who-were-born-before-moby-dick-was-written-660944/?no-ist

"..There Are Whales Alive Today Who Were Born Before Moby Dick Was Written

Some of the bowhead whales in the icy waters off of Alaska today are over 200 years old
By Rose Eveleth  smithsonian.com  January 9, 2013

Drawing_of_the_bowhead_whale.gif

In Alaska’s North Slope, the population of bowhead whales seems to be recovering. But that’s really not the coolest part of this Alaska Dispatch story. Instead, it’s this, noticed by Geoffry Gagnon:

That’s right, some of the bowhead whales in the icy waters today are over 200 years old. Alaska Dispatch writes:

Bowheads seem to be recovering from the harvest of Yankee commercial whaling from 1848 to 1915, which wiped out all but 1,000 or so animals.  Thirty four years ago, scientists counted 1,200 whales. Today there are about 14,000 of the mammals out there.   Because the creatures can live longer than 200 years — a fact George discovered when he found an old stone harpoon point in a whale — some of the bowheads alive today may have themselves dodged the barbed steel points of the Yankee whalers.

Good read.   I'm doing some cold water training just like the Bowheads do.. maybe I'll get old enough to learn a thing or two from them. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

I was reading a service manual together with a German friend earlier today and he read "FAQs" outloud phonetically i.e. "Fah Q's"

Say it quickly, lol.

The text was something along these lines: "We refer our customers in these cases to our extensive database of FAQs" 

Perfect! :-)))))

• Like 4