Stigweard

What is the best religion?

Hello folks,

Here's the problem with religion, that people have problems with religion. If you pay attention to the Tao Teh Ching it talks about this, but also advises you on how to handle religion. Mind your own business, worry about what you're doing and not what others are doing.

If you think religion is bad, that's your opinion, but if you want to really change the world, then change it by being a better person. If you want to teach others how to live a better life, then start by living a better life. The Sage teaches by his actions, not words.

Aaron

Word :D

Hello folks,

Here's the problem with religion, that people have problems with religion. If you pay attention to the Tao Teh Ching it talks about this, but also advises you on how to handle religion. Mind your own business, worry about what you're doing and not what others are doing.

If you think religion is bad, that's your opinion, but if you want to really change the world, then change it by being a better person. If you want to teach others how to live a better life, then start by living a better life. The Sage teaches by his actions, not words.

Aaron

Your words have spirit, I give you that. However one could only ponder how this is to be applied in real life.

If a general religious mindset is problematic, then is it a virtuous practice to ignore it? If it creates dysfunction within society, is functionality observed by ignoring it? What do you do when society ostracizes you for being who you are? Evidently, the Sage hasn't lived in bible belt rural America.

Obviously one should have no care as to what the next person thinks. However in my experience many good friendships I have had in life have been broken because of the other person thinking that his/her religious thinking was "superior" than my own and that I needed to be changed or saved. You see by virtue of their faith they believe they have the right to judge other people.

If it were that simple that we could all get along. But the problem with many people of a religious mindset is that really their mindset is not conducive for a harmonious society.

Really, the judeo-abrahamic traditions are the ones who really culprit, who have the view of total exclusivity. In traditional Islamic law, muslim women are not permitted to marry non muslims, however the muslim men can marry non muslim women. Where is the fair in that? It is not uncommon for christian men in my region of the world to be kidnapped and killed for fooling around with muslim women, hence the notariety of the muslim people here in Mindanao.

You see, things are a bit more complicated than just "let them be", because only after everyone reaches that standard of openness and universal equality, can everyone get along despite having different beliefs.

This is why mystics of all traditions have been more or less persecuted because they ride reality as it is and not how it is written in books or talked about. Sufis were declared heretics by traditional Islam for quite a long time before they gained acceptance. They believed that one could break the barrier between creation and creator. Which pissed off a lot of people because it did not adhere to the dogma.

Mystics have the ability see through to the heart of things, and get their learning straight from the horses mouth. Hence why people can't tell them how to think, because they've been to places of spirit where most others refuse to go.

There is a reason why everyone is religious but so few people are truly spiritual.

• Like 1

Evidently, the Sage hasn't lived in bible belt rural America.

From a soul living in bible belt rural America, I often think about this same thing. There is a minister here who I see often in Tim Horton's and I think I would like to talk to him - seems more open minded than most ministers around here. I would like to ask him whether there is any provision within his structure that supports the journey within - the intentional journey to become a better person.

I see no evidence of it here. All I see is judgment, criticism, a lot of ugly attitudes. But they all line up in the pews on Sunday morning. I've even thought about going to a few of their services to see if I can find one that is talking about walking the inner path. I'll bet I don't find a single one.

They're so dead - the nailed down religions. There is no room for improvement, no room for an original idea, they have blinders on. They are extremely fundamentalist back here (ohio) and yet the smugness of this particular type of Christianity is just unbelievable, if these folks are any example.

My point to this minister, if I do sit and talk with him, would be to ask why there doesn't seem to be any premium placed on the Jesus folks being more like Jesus.

My point to this minister, if I do sit and talk with him, would be to ask why there doesn't seem to be any premium placed on the Jesus folks being more like Jesus.

Because all they believe they need to do is believe in Jesus and they are all saved. No matter what they do in their daily lives.

• Like 1

That's my point exactly. It's like if they join the Jesus club they get a Get Out Of Jail Free card.

I knew plenty of Christians when I lived on the west coast as well - but the folks back here in Ohio really seem to embrace arrogance and judgment as part of the religious structure. It certainly extends to their politics as well - this is Tea Party heaven.

By talking to a minister or two, I'm just hoping to throw a pebble in the pond and start a ripple. I'll have to be real careful how I do it though...the desire is in my heart, and the best thing to do now is Do Nothing and wait for it to happen. It will, once the intent is set. Which it is.

Within Buddhism they say the fastest way to enlightenment is through becoming a bodhisattva, and any religion can put you on that path so whatever does that for you is the best, all the distinctions of non duality and god are of less importance than becoming a bodhisattva because that path will lead to the truth about all that anyway.

Agreed. (I added the bold coz I liked that statement) I think there are probably Bodhisattvas in most religions, also in various places within society as well.

I like this quote by the Dalai Lama because of it's simplicity:

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness"

Edited by mat black

The best religion is the one that helps your wisdom and awareness expand relative to your current circumstances without hurting others or the environment.

Your words have spirit, I give you that. However one could only ponder how this is to be applied in real life.

If a general religious mindset is problematic, then is it a virtuous practice to ignore it? If it creates dysfunction within society, is functionality observed by ignoring it? What do you do when society ostracizes you for being who you are? Evidently, the Sage hasn't lived in bible belt rural America.

Obviously one should have no care as to what the next person thinks. However in my experience many good friendships I have had in life have been broken because of the other person thinking that his/her religious thinking was "superior" than my own and that I needed to be changed or saved. You see by virtue of their faith they believe they have the right to judge other people.

If it were that simple that we could all get along. But the problem with many people of a religious mindset is that really their mindset is not conducive for a harmonious society.

Really, the judeo-abrahamic traditions are the ones who really culprit, who have the view of total exclusivity. In traditional Islamic law, muslim women are not permitted to marry non muslims, however the muslim men can marry non muslim women. Where is the fair in that? It is not uncommon for christian men in my region of the world to be kidnapped and killed for fooling around with muslim women, hence the notariety of the muslim people here in Mindanao.

You see, things are a bit more complicated than just "let them be", because only after everyone reaches that standard of openness and universal equality, can everyone get along despite having different beliefs.

This is why mystics of all traditions have been more or less persecuted because they ride reality as it is and not how it is written in books or talked about. Sufis were declared heretics by traditional Islam for quite a long time before they gained acceptance. They believed that one could break the barrier between creation and creator. Which pissed off a lot of people because it did not adhere to the dogma.

Mystics have the ability see through to the heart of things, and get their learning straight from the horses mouth. Hence why people can't tell them how to think, because they've been to places of spirit where most others refuse to go.

There is a reason why everyone is religious but so few people are truly spiritual.

hello Kali Yuga,

I wanted to respond to your post. I think you make some valid points, but you're missing the message. I'm not saying that people, not necessarily religious people, can't be closed minded and bigoted, but what I can say is that I don't experience much bigotry. I am gay. When I was a teenager I attended a church (many years before I ever came out of the closet.) My sister-in-law was a member of this church then and still is today. She is what I would call a devoted Christian. I had my doubts about coming out to her, but my brother assured me she'd be fine with it and you know what, she is. In fact she's absolutely fine with it. She encourages me to date, because she says no one should be alone. Many of my friends are members of this church. They were my friends before I came out and remained my friends after I came out. (Ironically many of my non-religious friends didn't react the same way.) The reason we get along is that I don't push my lifestyle on them and they don't push theirs on me. Do they ever talk to me about God or Jesus? All the time, but they're not pushy, rather they have a deep concern for my spiritual well-being. These people do not believe I am headed to hell because I am gay, nor have they ever said that. They'll tell me honestly that they believe I'm sinning, but that they don't have the right to judge me for that.

Here's the other shocker, I live across the street from a Mosque. No one from that mosque has ever said a bad word to me. Never. Do they know I'm gay? Some do, but that doesn't change their attitude about me. You see what you fail to realize is that, despite what you may have been led to believe, the world is changing and people are changing. The vast majority of people that are religious aren't fundamentalists, they understand that the stuff they read in their religious texts was written many many years ago and doesn't necessarily apply to what's happening in the world today. Most are happy that women have rights and are fine with homosexuals, even if they don't agree with their lifestyles. You know who I have the most trouble with, it's not the moderate Christians, but people that are ignorant.

The problem again is not religion, but ignorance. It's blindly believing something without understanding why you believe what you do. When you advise that religions are harmful, I say without religion we wouldn't be the civilization we are today, Western or Eastern. Without religion we would still be following the "what's best for me" mentality, rather than the "what's best for everyone" mentality that was the original basis for religion. Have we outgrown religion? Obviously not, but what is happening is that the vast majority (yes majority) of religious people are understanding the need for tolerance. Do they vote against gay marriage? Yes, but I don't believe it's because of hate, but rather ignorance.

When I say worry about what you're doing and not what others are doing, I mean it. I do it and it works for me. I rarely have issues with straight people, rather it's with my gay friends who see me as complacent. I say, "give it time" but their answer is always, "we want it now." Nothing changes overnight. It probably wont change in my lifetime, but I can see it and I know that in fifty years the world (if we're still around then) will be a much different place.

You can rail about all the injustices, superstitions, and enforced morality all you want, but I know that I am free to choose whom I want to be with and no one can stop me. That wasn't possible thirty years ago in most parts of the world, today it is. Are there places that are still behind the times? Yes, but change is happening everywhere and if we're patient, understanding, and compassionate, it will continue to change.

Well that's enough out of me. Again, I think if anyone has a right to complain, I do, but I wont, because I understand that the problem everyone is seeing is slowly but surely solving itself. People want to do what's right. If you let them, rather than force them, then they'll do it, but again, it just takes time.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness"

I've never heard it better said than this.

I've never heard it better said than this.

The simplicity is beautiful, and the statement seems applicable to everyone.

The following is an extract of the chant of Metta, it's also very good because it is all inclusive and transcends every type of difference whether they are man made or otherwise.

May I be free from enmity and danger

May I be free from mental suffering

May I be free from physical suffering

May I take care of myself happily

May my parents,

teacher relatives and friends,

fellow Dhamma farers

be free from enmity and danger

be free from mental suffering

be free from physical suffering

may they take care of themselves happily.............

.........May all beings

all breathing things

all creatures

all individuals

all personalities (all beings with mind and body)

may all females

all males

all noble ones (saints)

all worldlings (those yet to attain sainthood)

all devas (deities)

all humans

all those in the four woeful planes

be free from enmity and dangers

may they take care of themselves happily

May all being be free from suffering

May whatever they have gained not be lost

All beings are owners of their own Kamma (Karma)

in the eastern direction

in the western direction

in the northern direction

in the southern direction

in the southeast direction

in the northwest direction

in the northeast direction

in the southwest direction

in the direction below

in the direction above

May all beings

all breathing things

all creatures

all individuals (all beings)

may all females

all males

all noble ones (saints)

all devas (deities)

all humans

all those in the 4 woeful planes

May all beings be free from suffering

All beings are owners of their own kamma (Karma)

As far as the highest plane of existence

to as far down as the lowest plane

in the entire universe

whatever beings that move on earth

may they are free of mental suffering and enmity

and from physical suffering and danger

in the entire universe

whatever beings that move on water

in the entire universe

whatever beings that move in air

and from physical suffering and danger.

Edited by mat black

No religion is better then the truth. The truth is simple on the surface, complex underneath. We bring its simplicity into our lifes, and witness how its complexity slowly changes our destiny.

The simplicity is beautiful, and the statement seems applicable to everyone.

The following is an extract of the chant of Metta, it's also very good because it is all inclusive and transcends every type of difference whether they are man made or otherwise.

May I be free from enmity and danger

May I be free from mental suffering

May I be free from physical suffering

May I take care of myself happily

May my parents,

teacher relatives and friends,

fellow Dhamma farers

be free from enmity and danger

may they take care of themselves happily.............

.........May all beings

all breathing things

all creatures

all individuals

may all females

all males

all noble ones (saints)

all devas (deities)

all humans

all those in the four woeful planes

May all being be free from suffering

All beings are owners of their own Kamma (Karma)

in the eastern direction

in the western direction

in the northern direction

in the southern direction

in the southeast direction

in the northwest direction

in the northeast direction

in the southwest direction

in the direction below

in the direction above

May all beings

all breathing things

all creatures

all individuals (all beings)

may all females

all males

all noble ones (saints)

all devas (deities)

all humans

all those in the 4 woeful planes

May all beings be free from suffering

All beings are owners of their own kamma (Karma)

in the entire universe

whatever beings that move on earth

in the entire universe

whatever beings that move on water

in the entire universe

whatever beings that move in air

and from physical suffering and danger.

I like this. It reminds me of a prayer I used to say daily at AA Meetings...

"Our Father which art in heaven,

Hallowed be thy name,

thy kingdom come,

thy will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread

and forgive us our trespasses

as we forgive those who trespass against us,

and lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from evil,

for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory,

for ever and ever,

amen."

Now I must say, when I first started to go to meetings I hated this prayer, because I thought it was exclusive, that it was denominational, it wasn't until someone explained the core meaning of it that I began to understand the simple beauty of it.

Have reverence for your higher power,

Do your higher power's will,

ask only for those things you need,

do not ask for forgiveness if you cannot forgive,

ask for guidance,

and remember what the eternal really is.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Muhammad was supposedly a mystic. He meditated in a cave for many days and supposedly came in direct communion with god.

-If he can commune with god why not everyone else? That is a great question.

Edited by OldGreen

The Dalai Lama is very skillful indeed.

Yes, as the Dalai Lama can also be quoted in various texts as arguing semantics about the difference between a belief in "God" and the inner meaning of "Dependent Origination." How one leads to a more conscious state of insight where one can maintain conscious virtue for much longer, while the other cosmological view is not reflective of this realized potential.

None the less, the Dalai Lama knows that people are very attached to their God concepts, and as long as it works to lead people deeper, for a time being, it is a useful raft for plenty and it does lead very deep indeed. The God concept, if utilized with insight and skill can lead to the very edge of Samsaric clinging, leading to all the worldly powers of virtue, such as compassion and humanitarianism. But, it will not liberate a person from unconscious recycling or reveal the ability to maintain a conscious mind stream able to transcend cosmic death, which will allow you to be consciously virtuous endlessly. So, one does lead to a more prolonged state of virtue while the other still reflects being trapped in Samsara, unless one uses it entirely as a metaphor.

With that said, God bless!! As in, may all your endless spiritual connections since beginningless time bring about positive fruition right now! See, for me it's a metaphor, not to be taken literally.

GOD BLESS!!!

• Like 1

Muhammad was supposedly a mystic. He meditated in a cave for many days and supposedly came in direct communion with god.

-If he can commune with god why not everyone else? That is a great question.

What is the fruit of Muhammads teaching and communion with God as compared to great beings like the Buddha?

I think it's dangerous to put them all into a pot and say they came to the same realization. Semantics is very important in my opinion as it's like weeding out your garden, sometimes a little annoying, but the end result is far more beautiful.

Now, you do have Sufi's, but these guys are more influenced by a Buddhist influenced Hinduisms take on Islam, and even Kabbalah (A great mystical tradition) as well.

I'm not saying that Muhammed was "all wrong." But, I don't think he was as right as other great beings, like the Buddha for instance I feel went far deeper in his meditation than Muhammed and came to a much subtler and far more profoundly clear realization as evidenced by his teaching and the fruit of his teaching.

Edited by Vajrahridaya
  • Like 1

Buddhism has a clearer path than most other religions in my experience but that doesn't mean it is the best for the individual especially Westerners, as the teachings were mostly formed for the psyche of a particular set of people in the East, while the psyche of the modern Westerner is now very different. For example in Tibetan Buddhism there are many meditations for visualising other people as your mother and father and meditations on taking on your mothers suffering, but those sorts of meditations are not appropriate for many Westerners because so many people have fractured family relationships and problem childhoods, the psych wards are full of people who have taken on their parents pain, which is something which is not properly understood by many Tibetan Lama's as it is is outside of their cultural understanding.

Also many of the meditation objects and gods in Tantra as so alien to the Western mind that they may not be as effective as they for natives, the author Rob Preece has written a book about his experiences with this called "The Psychology of Buddhist Tantra" and says that it may be better for Westerners to find more familiar objects to meditate on but with the same meaning as the Tibetan deities to really connect with them. At the moment there needs to be a great deal of skillful means for a proper transmission of Buddhism into the West, you can see how people like the Dalai Lama and others are trying to do this by stripping Buddhism down without so much baggage, but really at the moment Western Buddhism is an experiment and it is unclear at the moment whether it will flourish or fail.

• Like 2

Buddhism has a clearer path than most other religions in my experience but that doesn't mean it is the best for the individual especially Westerners, as the teachings were mostly formed for the psyche of a particular set of people in the East, while the psyche of the modern Westerner is now very different. For example in Tibetan Buddhism there are many meditations for visualising other people as your mother and father and meditations on taking on your mothers suffering, but those sorts of meditations are not appropriate for many Westerners because so many people have fractured family relationships and problem childhoods, the psych wards are full of people who have taken on their parents pain, which is something which is not properly understood by many Tibetan Lama's as it is is outside of their cultural understanding.

Also many of the meditation objects and gods in Tantra as so alien to the Western mind that they may not be as effective as they for natives, the author Rob Preece has written a book about his experiences with this called "The Psychology of Buddhist Tantra" and says that it may be better for Westerners to find more familiar objects to meditate on but with the same meaning as the Tibetan deities to really connect with them. At the moment there needs to be a great deal of skillful means for a proper transmission of Buddhism into the West, you can see how people like the Dalai Lama and others are trying to do this by stripping Buddhism down without so much baggage, but really at the moment Western Buddhism is an experiment and it is unclear at the moment whether it will flourish or fail.

I agree.

Indeed being able to adapt a spiritual philosophy to cultures is very important.

It is my understanding that Zen is somewhat of a "Stripped" version of Buddhism. It requires no beliefs only practice.

-Alan Watts attempted to bring eastern spirituality to the west and i think in some ways he was very successful.

Edited by OldGreen

Buddhism has a clearer path than most other religions in my experience but that doesn't mean it is the best for the individual especially Westerners, as the teachings were mostly formed for the psyche of a particular set of people in the East, while the psyche of the modern Westerner is now very different. For example in Tibetan Buddhism there are many meditations for visualising other people as your mother and father and meditations on taking on your mothers suffering, but those sorts of meditations are not appropriate for many Westerners because so many people have fractured family relationships and problem childhoods, the psych wards are full of people who have taken on their parents pain, which is something which is not properly understood by many Tibetan Lama's as it is is outside of their cultural understand

There seems to be an implication in your statement, that Tibetans are the paragon of virtue. Tibetan families have no problems?

There seems to be an implication in your statement, that Tibetans are the paragon of virtue. Tibetan families have no problems?

I'm sure they have plenty of problems but there is not the levels of family disintegration and neurosis we have. Plenty of Tibetan Lama's have commented at how shocked they were when they came to the west about the levels of guilt and self hatred we suffer. My parents just got back from Bhutan recently and they say it is completely different there with far less fear, insecurity and aggression within communities, almost everyone they met was smiling and gave them things not accepting anything in return, whereas when I go into my town I feel like I am more likely to spat upon or assaulted than given anything for free. But you can't expect a teaching which works in country like Bhutan to transfer directly to the west with our different issues and hangups.

• Like 1

Of course not, but they are different, within a different context which as a Westerner you would not be able to understand unless you did tons of work to decondition your cultural biases, like they would have to do as well to see you as you are, and some are successful. Wow, there are so many wise, wise Tibetan Masters. YAY!! We still have access to them! I hope the tradition continues. :D

p.s. Oh yeah, and Chinese Taoist Masters like Wang Liping as well!! ;) Though I don't understand why he charges so much. :(

Edited by Vajrahridaya

I'm sure they have plenty of problems but there is not the levels of family disintegration and neurosis we have. Plenty of Tibetan Lama's have commented at how shocked they were when they came to the west about the levels of guilt and self hatred we suffer. My parents just got back from Bhutan recently and they say it is completely different there with far less fear, insecurity and aggression within communities, almost everyone they met was smiling and gave them things not accepting anything in return, whereas when I go into my town I feel like I am more likely to spat upon or assaulted than given anything for free. But you can't expect a teaching which works in country like Bhutan to transfer directly to the west with our different issues and hangups.

:(

• Like 1

I'm sure they have plenty of problems but there is not the levels of family disintegration and neurosis we have. Plenty of Tibetan Lama's have commented at how shocked they were when they came to the west about the levels of guilt and self hatred we suffer.

Have you lived among Tibetans or in Tibet? What I read here are generalizations with no proof. Perhaps their emotions are more suppressed and the show of emotion is unacceptable in their cultural. The only way to know for certain is to live in the Tibetan culture.

Levels of guilt and self hatred in the West is another good one. As if those emotions are not in all cultures.

Edited by ralis