Breathe

Let the waterfall

Circulate

Cleanse in

Thread the needle

Sew

Cleanse out

Breathe

'a radiant, light and powerful physical structure' So will it get me ripped ? :P

I do seem to notice i get little bit pumped after doing the practices when i look in the mirror and funnily enough i just did the 5 60 80 40 30 warm up on dvd 2 and after about 7-8 minutes i got pins and needles. Today im incredibly tired and i think all my blood was deeper than usual, perhaps digesting the liver i ate at lunch.

Are the 30 minutes inclusive of the warm-up or should one do the warm-ups and do the bending the bows excercise for 30 minutes?

18 repetitions of bending the bows takes an average of half an hour for me, therefore I wrote 30 minutes. Time does not matter though, as long as you do the exercises and repetitions correctly with proper breathing sequence.

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry,

I will be trying a hyperbaric oxygen chamber this week for the first time and thought it might be a good place to practice some FP, specifically the meditation from volume one with breathing sequence 50 40 30 20 10 done laying down, any contraindications?  Also maybe in a floatation tank/sensory deprivation chamber next week. thanks-

Edited by growant

Hi,

For weaker patients, can the basic standing stationary meds (Monk gazing moon,  monk holding peach, monk holding pearl) be done in sitting or lying down position?

Thanks

• Like 1

Meditation can also be done seated in a straight chair. Lying is difficult. I think it is too hard to do the monk is gazing at Moon. The others can still be done. You have to built up the standing very slowly because when it hurts you will lose all benefits.

I have a relative, weak in constitution, suffering from long term health issues. I was thinking about teaching her monk holding peach and monk holding pearl but its difficult for her to stand for long.

Since Monk holding pearl is pretty easy in sitting position, and both MHpearl and MHpeach can easily be done in lying down position, I thought that would be the easiest thing to do.

Also, can these be done while sitting in bed with legs extended in front?

I did FP Qigong for two Years. I live in the Netherlands and I wanted to train live with a Sifu so I do another system but also from GM Doo Wai. That's what I do. One of the very important lessons was No stress and blokkage. When your relative can feel the flow of energy that's the most important. I say this as a student and not  as a instructeur. But my opinion: Pain is no Gain. 

• Like 1

John, it sounds like your Sifu is Christopher W. for Sunn Yee Gong. He composed a great piece of chi kung music called Misty Mountain which I enjoy playing while doing chi kung.

• Like 1

for a variety of reasons I have not been doing the Advanced Long Form meditation first thing in the morning,  not at home, respiratory problem gift from grandkids (LOL) etc.   I have been doing YLF TCC almost daily.   This morning I finally got up early and did get in a solid Long Form.    The energy was better than before I had the hiatus by a considerable amount and it was the most continuous through the form.   Sometimes I think  a break  yields this gift. 

During the last month I have introduced the 5th Advanced Seated meditation from disk 7.  In 5th form there are only 4 moves,  however,  the practice includes a long pause and a slower performance of the last 2 moves.   This shift to an even slower speed is really intense and it seems crucial that the first half is done at usual 'slow' speed of all the other FPCK so  a   significantly slower speed is very intense in the sensations of qi movement both in the upper body,  but also in the dan tien itself.  It was a delightful discovery.

• Like 4

John, it sounds like your Sifu is Christopher W. for Sunn Yee Gong. He composed a great piece of chi kung music called Misty Mountain which I enjoy playing while doing chi kung.

Yes I'm a student of Sifu Christer learning Bak Fu Sunn Yee Gung, Wun Yuen, Dao Gar Jeung and Flying Phoenix Heavenly Sword. His music is beautifull and use it to during my daily practise. Thank you and much wisdom with Flying Phoenix Qigong

• Like 1

Hi,

For weaker patients, can the basic standing stationary meds (Monk gazing moon,  monk holding peach, monk holding pearl) be done in sitting or lying down position?

Thanks

Monk Holding Pearl (50 40 30 20 10) can be done sitting or lying down, I believe.

• Like 3

Yes I'm a student of Sifu Christer learning Bak Fu Sunn Yee Gung, Wun Yuen, Dao Gar Jeung and Flying Phoenix Heavenly Sword. His music is beautifull and use it to during my daily practise. Thank you and much wisdom with Flying Phoenix Qigong

If you don't mind my asking, after practicing them, what do you feel the connection between the Flying Phoenix Heavenly Sword forms and the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung is? Do the sword forms feel like they tap into the same energy as the the FPCK does? I assume the matching names aren't a coincidence.

• Like 1

Sifu Trry Dunn,

I am now week two of my practice in Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing, and I am quite happy as I start this journey.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis some years ago. A family member decided to ask me to go see an acupuncturist. After a few visits/treatments using acupuncture, the acupuncturist recommended that I practice qigong.

Your DVD series where the first which came up in the search. The DVDs came in a timely fashion.

I've also got a degenerative eye disease known as retinitis pigmentosa, so a friend of mine has help me to find tune what are on the DVDs for my practice.

This is my second week of practice, and I can feel the sensations between my fingers when I hold my hands parallel to each other.

My pain levels which are usually a four or five, have gone down to a one or two. (10 being the most absolute pain and zero being no pain) just in the short time, I am going out for more walks.

The universe is much more incredible than we sometimes allow it to be. I have to remember that I am a part of that universe, and my practice in this system of Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qigong is helping to see that. (Yes, the legally blind man said "to see that "... LOL)

On one of my walks, I passed the acupuncturist with whom I have had treatments. She said, "I see that you are practicing a healing form of qigong! That is good! If you keep this up, you may have to only see me once a year, if that!" She gave me a big hug before we went our separate ways on our walks. :-)

My friend who's been helping me, has been also going back and reading aloud the thread here. Many questions which I have are getting answered. There's so many other things I want to say but I can't find the words yet. :-)

I am a Native American of the Tlingit nation. My nickname on here, is my actual given name in English translation. Our tribe, is located in the southeastern islands of Alaska. Oh, and my regular English name is David Kanosh, but most times I go by Raven Fire.

Right now, we're going to go back and read over the posts on this thread to catch up.

Thank you Sifu Terry Dunn.

Raven Fire

• Like 3

I can attest now that no matter the state you are in, FP works its magic!

Here is a very basic question.

I did use the standing position before but I want to make sure: how do you know your posture is correct?

Which muscles are supposed to be felt? How can you test if your back is straight? Since I cannot feel qi it is hard to tell.

All i can say is I do feel a tingling in my upper arms and hands and I feel hot for long after the session. Is this a good sign?

I assume that the vacillation means that the energy is ciculating? Till now I used the swaying as a test for the posture.

thanks

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry. How does FP clear out blockages and stagnant energy in the traditional sense of TCM? To elaborate, many of the medical qigong systems deal with the free flowing of qi through the various meridian channels of the body. As a result their forms often have breathing synchronized with various hand movements. Dragon & Tiger Medical Qigong is a perfect example of this synchronization where each hand movement is actually tracing a major meridian.

But so far with my training in FP, the postures are primarily static and when the hands do move they don't necessarily follow the main meridians of the body. I was hoping you would be able to elaborate on how FP accomplishes healing.

Thanks

Hello Yuyumonk:

My answers to your questions are in italic blue below:

How does FP clear out blockages and stagnant energy in the traditional sense of TCM?

As I've explained many times on this thread, FP Qigong does not work according to model of TCM and the meridian theory used in acupuncture.  Acupuncture meridians is just one model or map of the body that was known to be devised by men through trial and error.  FP Qigong heals by bringing all the body's organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind and creating allostasis, where the body's self-healing and immune properties (which are different) are activated.  How it does this through the esoteric breathing formulas specific to each FP Meditation and that meditation's posture and movements is a true wonder.  For every advanced practitioner I've taught at some point has said to me:  "I cannot believe that a human being created this art."   Thus in contrast to the origins of acupuncture theory, FP Qigong came down to man through a spiritual medium (Feng Tao Teh) from a spiritual source, according to the oral tradition.  

I used to use the terms "blockages" and "stagnant energy" when I was practicing healing with Tao Tan Pai energetics (starting in the mid-70's), which is very powerful monastic system.  But after I learned FP Qigong in 1991, I have no use for those terms.  For as GM Doo Wai explained and as I have found out for myself to be true over the years--especially the last 15 years or so:  "We don't manipulate energy (as in acupuncture or acupressure), we just pass our hand over to heal."

As a result their forms often have breathing synchronized with various hand movements. 

As all FP Qigong practitioners have experienced, Flying Phoenix works without any synchronization of breath cycle to any particular hand or body movements, and without moving hands.

Dragon & Tiger Medical Qigong is a perfect example of this synchronization where each hand movement is actually tracing a major meridian.

So is Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung system that I also teach--ranging through all its levels:  from the Basic 31 Exercises known as "Cloud Hands", to each and every one of the many Animal Kung Fu Forms in the system (Tiger, Dragon, Monkey, Crane, Snake), to the very powerful Nine Flowers, the second most powerful Six Stars, and the most powerful yoga in the system, the Fjve Dragons.  I am not familiar with Tiger and Dragon medical Qigong.  But I do know all about tracing meridians (major and minor) as well as the psychic meridians with hand movements, because I have practiced Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung and healing since 1974.   Flying Phoenix Chi Kung does NOT work on the same principles as any other Qigong that coordinates hand movements with breath cycle or has hand movements that trace meridians.

But so far with my training in FP, the postures are primarily static and when the hands do move they don't necessarily follow the main meridians of the body. I was hoping you would be able to elaborate on how FP accomplishes healing.

HANDS DO NOT HAVE TO FOLLOW THE "MAIN MERIDIANS OF THE BODY" IN ORDER TO CULTIVATE SUPERNORMAL LEVELS OF ENERGY.  ONE EXAMPLE IS THE BULK OF TIBETAN YOGA.  WITHIN THAT SYSTEM, THE YOGA OF PSYCHIC HEAT DOESN'T REQUIRE SUCH MOVEMENTS AT ALL.  YET TIBETAN BUDDHIST MONKS FOR CENTURIES DEMONSTRATE THEIR YOGIC ABILITY BY DRYING OFF SHEET AFTER SHEET OF WET BURLAP WHILE IN SEATED MEDITATION IN A HUT OR A CAVE BURIED DEEP IN HIMALAYAN SNOW.  

There are only 3 standing FP Meditations that are done in static postures and they are 3 of the five basic exercises in Volume 1 of the DVD series.  As I have explained in this thread, the Level One course of practicing FP Qigong requires practicing all the 3 basic static standing Meditations, the one seated static warm-up meditation (50 10 50), 24 seated "Monk Serves Wine" (seated moving) Meditations and then learning and perfecting all the five standing moving meditations, each one successively longer and more complex than the preceding one:

Bending the Bows
Wind Above the Clouds
Wind Through Treetops
Moonbeam Splashes on Water

--and finally practicing the capstone Moving Meditation known as:

The Flying Phoenix Heavenly healing Chi Meditation ("Long Form Standing Meditation" on Vol.4)
This is a moving meditation done 3 times slower than typical Tai Chi form speed.

Again, Flying Phoenix Chi Kung does NOT work on the same principles as any other Qigong that coordinates hand movements with breath cycle or has hand movements that trace meridians.  Yet it is one of the most fast-acting and profoundly HEALING AND TRANSFORMATIVE QIGONG SYSTEMS  in existence.  You will understand its method of energy cultivation and healing by practicing it and experiencing its effects.  Talking about how it works beyond what I've stated here and earlier on the thread does not lead to proficiency nor understanding, especially since your only model of explaining how a qigong system works is based on TCM.

As the old Nike advertising slogan goes:  "Just Do It."

Thanks for your questions, for it gave me the opportunity to recapitulate what FP Qigong training entails and the fact that approximately 10% of thE system are sedentary meditations, while 90% are moving meditations.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn
Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

for a variety of reasons I have not been doing the Advanced Long Form meditation first thing in the morning,  not at home, respiratory problem gift from grandkids (LOL) etc.   I have been doing YLF TCC almost daily.   This morning I finally got up early and did get in a solid Long Form.    The energy was better than before I had the hiatus by a considerable amount and it was the most continuous through the form.   Sometimes I think  a break  yields this gift. 

During the last month I have introduced the 5th Advanced Seated meditation from disk 7.  In 5th form there are only 4 moves,  however,  the practice includes a long pause and a slower performance of the last 2 moves.   This shift to an even slower speed is really intense and it seems crucial that the first half is done at usual 'slow' speed of all the other FPCK so  a   significantly slower speed is very intense in the sensations of qi movement both in the upper body,  but also in the dan tien itself.  It was a delightful discovery.

Hi Charlie,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the last seated MSW Meditation on Volume 7 and have discovered that the relatively simple sequence of only 4 arm movements can impart wonderfully intense and profound energizing effects.  

Here's a new FP mantra:    20 40 90 10  Leads  (To) the Way!

Why don't we start a haiku chain where every haiku must express some delightful experience or discovery in FP Qigong practice?!

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Hello Astral Butterfly,

Go to Youtube and search for Zhan Zhuang day 1. There is a very good course (10 days). You can find all of them on Youtube.

This course tells you every about standing like a tree. After that you can use the handpositions in FP Qigong. Keep you shoulders relaxed and be happy.

Best

John

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry

Just another one please.

I have a problem with tiredness. I had done one week at the office at lunchtime in a meeting room. It went very well. But after that I couldn't make it because I was snowed under with work.

At home, I get up at 5:45 as it is, to get my child and I ready for the day and if I want to do FP at home I would have to get up at 4h30. In the evening I cook and clean and look after my child till I collapse (my husband works from 6:30am to 8pm on average so he can't help me). You did say it is not good to do when tired, but will it be of any use at all if I get up extra early every morning? Or will progress just be slower?

I do recall you said to do it at the same time every day so I have to make up my mind because for me it is FP or nothing. And I can't stand the idea of nothing, I have to progress!!!

I have so much to wrap up at work because I have to close all my projects what with it being year-end and all the invoicing going with it! No way I can commit to doing it at lunch every day under these circumstances!

So can I do my 4:30 wake-up and still succeed?

Thank you!

A_B

Hi Astral B,

Sorry to take so long to reply to your question.  It's been a busy holiday season and I just got back from a second retreat/workshop with my Tai Chi teacher up in northern California.

I understand your tight and exhausting daily schedule which must handle without help.

Given that you  no longer have time to practice during lunch hours until the new year, just practicing FP Qigong upon waking in the morning is best.  Yes, it's ideal to practice FP Qigong at the same time every day, if one schedule allows that.  In more recent years, I have not been practicing the same time from day to day.  I do have a few days during the week when I teach scheduled classes, but I get my personal practice in whenever and wherever I find time and the right space.

The rule of thumb to progress--or "succeed"  as you put it--with FP Qigong is to practice at least 35 minutes continuously so that you feel its effects accumulating from day to day.  It doesn't matter which FP Meditations from the DVD series that you start off doing (most people start with Vols 1, 2 and 3)--so long as you ultimately get around to practicing all them.  Again, my suggestion for beginners is to pick 2 basic standing and 2 basic seated MSW meditations that resonate with you the most and practice them all as a minimum daily practice.

I hope your FP practice will bring comfort and peace to your pressureful life.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hi,

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

Hi Shazan,

Only Monk Holding Pearl (50 40 30 20 10) can be done in seated position and supine position.  But not the other two.  

For your relative who has chronic health issues and cannot do the standing mediations for long, there are plenty of seated FP meditations (in vols. 2 and 7) that he/she can do. 

Again, Monk Gazing At Moon and Monk Holding Peach should NOT  be done lying down because they were very specifically designed by the genie that created FP Qigong to be effective in relationship to gravity in a vertically standing posture.  Also, I have extensive experience in meditations done in the supine position found in the Tao Tan Pai system to know that there are no benefits to be gained by doing MGM or MHPeach lying down.  No upside.  But the downside is that you will dampen and dilute the effects of doing MGM and MHPeach when they're done regularly.

Take heed and good luck.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Sifu Trry Dunn, I am now week two of my practice in Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing, and I am quite happy as I start this journey. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis some years ago. A family member decided to ask me to go see an acupuncturist. After a few visits/treatments using acupuncture, the acupuncturist recommended that I practice qigong. Your DVD series where the first which came up in the search. The DVDs came in a timely fashion. I've also got a degenerative eye disease known as retinitis pigmentosa, so a friend of mine has help me to find tune what are on the DVDs for my practice. This is my second week of practice, and I can feel the sensations between my fingers when I hold my hands parallel to each other. My pain levels which are usually a four or five, have gone down to a one or two. (10 being the most absolute pain and zero being no pain) just in the short time, I am going out for more walks. The universe is much more incredible than we sometimes allow it to be. I have to remember that I am a part of that universe, and my practice in this system of Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qigong is helping to see that. (Yes, the legally blind man said "to see that "... LOL) On one of my walks, I passed the acupuncturist with whom I have had treatments. She said, "I see that you are practicing a healing form of qigong! That is good! If you keep this up, you may have to only see me once a year, if that!" She gave me a big hug before we went our separate ways on our walks. :-) My friend who's been helping me, has been also going back and reading aloud the thread here. Many questions which I have are getting answered. There's so many other things I want to say but I can't find the words yet. :-) I am a Native American of the Tlingit nation. My nickname on here, is my actual given name in English translation. Our tribe, is located in the southeastern islands of Alaska. Oh, and my regular English name is David Kanosh, but most times I go by Raven Fire. Right now, we're going to go back and read over the posts on this thread to catch up. Thank you Sifu Terry Dunn. Raven Fire

Dear Raven Fire,

Thank you for sharing your positive healing experience with Flying Phoenix Qigong.  I'm glad to hear that your pain level from your rheumatoid arthritist has been dialed down the scale from 4-5 to 1-2 in this very short time.  For certain chronic deteriorative conditions, it's quite common for FP Qigong's pain management effects to kick in in very short time.  Keep up the practice and you should get to 0-1.

Your experience is yet further proof that FP Qigong activates the body's self-healing faculties in a most profound, systemic manner.  And the profundity of the Flying Phoenix alchemy (effected by he breath control sequences plus postures and movements)  is that one's health is restored and strengthened by emulating the perfect balance of the Universe. 

The universe is much more incredible than we sometimes allow it to be. I have to remember that I am a part of that universe, and my practice in this system of Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qigong is helping to see that. (Yes, the legally blind man said "to see that "... LOL)

Last night I gave an intake/orientation session (no charge) to FPCK subscriber Yuyumonk (who is starting online FP lessons with me through Skype--something I have been doing actively and very successfully over the past 3.5 years), and he reported that after doing the exercises on DVD volumes 1 and 2 for only two weeks, everything in his life--starting with his body-- just FEELS more real, more present, more vibrant, and more connected to the works.

That's the way any medical Qigong system worth its salt should work:  One first feels the healthful integration of mind and body and the perfect regulation of the organ systems by the subconscious mind.  That is a lot of healing felt as "tingling" both in the extremities and in the internal organs that gets deeper and more sublime.  Once one's health is vibrant, continued practice of FP Qigong enables the direct experience of feeling that this healthful vibration of the microcosm is no different than that of the macrocosm.

Thanks again for your report.  Happy for your healing.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Dear Astral Butterfly,

Looks like you are living through your horse years :-)

Bending the Bows  provides real "horse power" for your assistance during the day, and can be a valuable investment against fatigue.

I am saying investment, because it takes some time to fully manifest.

Just sparing 30 minutes in each morning, and doing it diligently for at least a couple of months will start to bring  a radiant, light and powerful physical structure. The initial discomforts come due to incorrect posture, but pain is a good teacher and will help you find the correct posture, and also you will have the FPCK energy as your guide from the start. 

Just persevere, and try to be as light, relaxed and alert during the exercise, and do it every day if possible. You might not need any other meditation for some time.

I wish you the very best, and good luck.

Hello Cihan,

Excellent guidance and encouragement that you have offered Astral Butterfly.

Indeed, Bending the Bows is the most important moving FP Meditation for beginners because it develops correct posture and  physical and energetic strength and mobility--what you call "horse power".  BTB also utilizes a universal pattern of transforming energy.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2