Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hello Sifu Terry,

Whenever someone with a medical degree is an advocate of the energy arts it is a great boon for society. This afternoon as I was on my way to Johns Hopkins Hospital  to visit my terminally ill 5 year old daughter I had to drive past blocks of deplorable looking row homes in Baltimore where I now live since a few weeks ago. Some of my reflections about that neighborhood and similar ones throughout Baltimore were that not many have a chance to get out of that lifestyle of poverty, crime and violence. Then while stopped at a red light I spot a corner lot where a row home obviously had been demolished and it contained an Asian looking trellis

with garden and there was a center spot that I thought would be a great place to practice chi kung. I then began daydreaming about just doing chi kung there regularly to get the interest of people in the neighborhood to ask what I was doing and then invite them to join me in the hopes that somehow it would elevate their state of consciousness and lead to something better than the ghetto choices. So I read with interest that Dr. Jamie was working on a documentary set in Baltimore. I think the research coming out of the Transcendental Meditation university in Fairfield, Iowa would have interested her. At one time that fully accredited institution offered a Ph.D. in the neurophysiology of consciousness.

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 2

Hello Sifu Terry,

Whenever someone with a medical degree is an advocate of the energy arts it is a great boon for society. This afternoon as I was on my way to Johns Hopkins Hospital to visit my terminally ill 5 year old daughter I had to drive past blocks of deplorable looking row homes in Baltimore where I now live since a few weeks ago. Some of my reflections about that neighborhood and similar ones throughout Baltimore were that not many have a chance to get out of that lifestyle of poverty, crime and violence. Then while stopped at a red light I spot a corner lot where a row home obviously had been demolished and it contained an Asian looking trellis

with garden and there was a center spot that I thought would be a great place to practice chi kung. I then began daydreaming about just doing chi kung there regularly to get the interest of people in the neighborhood to ask what I was doing and then invite them to join me in the hopes that somehow it would elevate their state of consciousness and lead to something better than the ghetto choices. So I read with interest that Dr. Jamie was working on a documentary set in Baltimore. I think the research coming out of the Transcendental Meditation university in Fairfield, Iowa would have interested her. At one time that fully accredited institution offered a Ph.D. in the neurophysiology of consciousness.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing your experiences in and thoughts about Baltimore. I'm so very sorry to hear that your young daughter is terminally ill. I know how difficult it must be for you to lend comfort and care for a loved one for whom there is no hope of recovery. I was with both of my parents when they were on their deathbeds and was alongside other family relations and close friends when each was on his/her deathbed at the very moment when they realized that all medical procedures were exhausted and the body was too far gone so that not even a miracle could save them. That tragic revelation of no hope for survival is the one situation that puts a priest's or therapist's or any person's strength, compassion and "pastoral counseling" to the test. It is even more tragic, as you know when, when that revelation and visceral feeling of hopelessness is reached by someone in their youth such as your child or some one like my friend Jamie who was just beginning to hit her stride.

Yes, you are quite right. A western-trained physician with an M.D. who is proficient in higher meditative arts, is able too teach proper meditation, and can institutionalize their practice is a great boon for society. I have sought out , karmically run into, and worked with a few of these eclectic visionaries throughout my career and I can count them all on one hand. As I stated in my tribute above, Jamie Zimmerman's sudden passing at such a young age is a tragic loss of our society and the world.

After teaching my Tai Chi class this (Sat.) afternoon in Santa Monica, I traveled up the coast and found a quiet secluded clear view of the Pacific Ocean. I then sat down and practiced 3 advanced seated "Monk Serves Wine" Meditations (found on Volume 7) for one hour, during which I prayed for my friend's soul over the waters, telling her that she can take either a fast and direct route to the Bardo or a slower one for the sake of seeing her mother and closest relations in mourning here in L.A--and how to take the second option.

I will include your dear daughter in my prayers.

I do not know Baltimore, having never spent any meaningful time there. Although my paternal grandfather, Franklin Dunn, earned his M.D. from Johns Hopkins in 1910--as he was sponsored by American missionaries in China. That's where he met my grandmother, who was also sponsored by missionaries and studied nursing at Cornell and then got her Master's degree in Nursing at Johns Hopkins. I only drove through during a spring break road trip from Connecticut to Florida during my first year in college. Thus my only knowledge of Baltimore comes from the very excellent and realistic TV series "The Wire". If you have to be in Baltimore for an extended period to be with your daughter, I still wouldn't advise hanging out on either the rough two sides of the city as depicted in the TV series. Remember that you're retired!

I'm sure Dr. Jamie would have loved the program at the Transcendental Meditation University in Iowa, but her training in meditation and mindfulness had to fit in and around her formal medical education. She was also tops in her undergraduate class at UCLA (an anthropology major) and she received the Charles E. Young Award (Young was one of UCLA's better chancellors).

Take care and stay in touch, Steve.

Sifu Terry

P.S. On the subject of Baltimore and Jamie's documentary film, Quite Revolution, here pasted is copy of an email from Jamie in September 2013 right after we met in L.A., in which she explains the film project. She truly was a dynamo doing good works.

Jamie Lauren Zimmerman

cleardot.gif9/6/13

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif@gmail.com>

cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif

Hi Terry,

I'm so impressed with your background - and would love to talk with you about "meditation medicine." Your DVD's look wonderful!

Good for you for following your heart and choosing a path that suits your passions and talents! Turning down med school sounds like it was a great decision!

Also, FYI, having finished my last medical school exams, I'm now completing a fellowship in global health & media and using this year to catalyze a project I believe in deeply: Quiet Revolution, a documentary on the potential of mindfulness to promote physical and mental health, with a focus on underserved communities.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama has said:

“If we taught all 8 year olds to meditate, we would eliminate all violence from the world within one generation.”

(this is the actual photo in her email...I have to attach it here as thumbnail per thedaobums' software.)

post-51415-0-47742600-1445164661_thumb.png

And, as you may know, neuroscience is aligned with this assertion. (Meditation has been shown to increase density in the prefrontal cortex, a region associated with emotional regulation, empathy and morality!)

Quiet Revolution is a documentary film about meditation in an inner-city school in Baltimore. I will follow the work of Ali, Atman and Andy of the Holistic Life Foundation (www.hlfinc.org), who take students labeled as “problem kids” in one of the worst neighborhoods in America, and immerse them in an after-school program with breathing exercises, yoga and meditation. The results are profound: in a neighborhood where many young men tragically end up in prison or dead, their oldest students are now graduating college and returning to mentor the next generation. Over the coming academic year, we will intimately follow several of their young students – showing their challenges at home and on the streets, introduction to yoga & mindfulness practices, and eventually how these practices transform their lives. These powerful stories will be coupled with interviews of neuroscientists and visionaries in the field, including:

175]· Dr. Mehmet Oz, physician and host Dr. Oz

175]· Dr. Richie Davidson, friend of Dalai Lama and neuroscientist who studies the brains of Tibetan monks

175]· Congressman Tim Ryan, author Mindful Nation

175]· Janice Marturano, founder, Institute for Mindful Leadership

175]· Dr. Dean Ornish, physician and bestselling author

175]· Dr. Andrew Weil, physician and bestselling author, Spontaneous Healing

175]· Dr. Dan Siegel, child psychiatrist and author of Mindsight

175]· Dan Goleman, bestselling author of Emotional Intelligence

175]· Dr. Amishi Jha, contemplative neuroscientist at University of Miami

175]· and more.

This film will be coupled with social media campaign designed to catalyze mindfulness programs in thousands of additional schools across North America and beyond. Jon Kabat-Zinn, Dan Siegel, and ABC’s Dan Harris serve on the project’s advisory board. Additionally, ABC will collaborate on a 1/2 hour episode of Nightline, using footage from the documentary.

As someone who's focused on integrative modalities of healing, as well as filmmaking, I'd love to hear your suggestions/advice. Plus, I'd love to connect in general. Unfortunately, I'm already headed back to NY (otherwise, I'd come to your Saturday AM Tai Chi session), but please let me know when you're free to Skype or chat.

Hope all is well, and talk soon!

All my best,

Jamie

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

not a big fan of  Oz,  his repeated misrepresentations of diet issues  is disturbing

nor of Weil,  while he is a Tucsonan I find some of his writing not in harmony w scientific reality.

on the other side  Kabat-Zinn is amazing  and I have Siegel's Mindsight in my  reading cross-hairs  :)

peace for all sentient beings   ... dogs do have souls   moo.

charlie thomas PhD OF  (old f<3 )

• Like 1

energy  rising  doing frequent fp meditations.   I like coupling Adv short standing med w Adv seated med ... both  start from wide brace position.  I often do  Standing... seated ... standing . it rocks  qi

• Like 1

Thank you Sifu Terry for as always, your kind words, compassion and consideration.

I have seen the first few episodes of the Wire and I have been on the west side of Baltimore where most of the episodes take place. I have the first 2 seasons on dvds but have not had the time to watch them yet.

Those neighborhoods and karmic lifestyles makes me so grateful for the blessings I have had this lifetime allowing me to be initiated into the lineage of Transcendental Meditation, Oneness Blessing from an avatar, and what I am most passionate about,

chi kung.

Baltimore looks like it could be my last destination for this time around so I will be mindful of what comes my way. Here I am practicing daily the energy arts alongside my wife while just two row homes away is a very busy drug dealer. The irony of it all.

Such is life. I am hoping that the good chi being generated will someday drive him out of the neighborhood and back into his home away from home, Baltimore County Prison. LOL

Thank you Sifu Terry for as always, your kind words, compassion and consideration.

I have seen the first few episodes of the Wire and I have been on the west side of Baltimore where most of the episodes take place. I have the first 2 seasons on dvds but have not had the time to watch them yet.

Those neighborhoods and karmic lifestyles makes me so grateful for the blessings I have had this lifetime allowing me to be initiated into the lineage of Transcendental Meditation, Oneness Blessing from an avatar, and what I am most passionate about,

chi kung.

Baltimore looks like it could be my last destination for this time around so I will be mindful of what comes my way. Here I am practicing daily the energy arts alongside my wife while just two row homes away is a very busy drug dealer. The irony of it all.

Such is life. I am hoping that the good chi being generated will someday drive him out of the neighborhood and back into his home away from home, Baltimore County Prison. LOL

Hi Steve,

Don't mention it.  Yours is a one of the most difficult, agonizing and tragic situations that any human can experience.  I wish you and your wife peace and strength ongoing.

Indeed, living in or adjacent to neighborhoods gripped by violence and crime causes one to be become consistently and totally mindful and also take inventory of all of one's greater survival faculties.

Question:  was there no other option than to move to Baltimore for your daughter's treatments?

If you you feel you need a higher-level view beyond FP Qigong energy-fueledawareness to deal with the dangerous elements near your new home, let the know and I'll give you a referral by PM.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

not a big fan of Oz, his repeated misrepresentations of diet issues is disturbing

nor of Weil, while he is a Tucsonan I find some of his writing not in harmony w scientific reality.

on the other side Kabat-Zinn is amazing and I have Siegel's Mindsight in my reading cross-hairs :)

peace for all sentient beings ... dogs do have souls moo.

charlie thomas PhD OF (old f<3 )

Ox-riding Charlie,

I agree with your criticism of Mehmet Oz regarding some of his on-air representations and counseling about diet. He's had a good number of nutrition experts on his show besides expounding his own views. He even had Mao Xing Ni on, I recall, who did a demo about healthy Chinese cooking. But I didn't watch his show with any consistency to register a batch of objectionable ideas. But I take your word for it, Charlie.

I had brief email communications with Dr. Oz in 2000 when he was busy with the start of his new Oprah-backed tv show.  He really didn't have the time or interest to take my advice and 1.5 bag primer that would have enabled him to he present a clear and accurate overview of Qigong to the masses through his tv show. Thus I was disappointed but not surprised when he repeatedly used the term Qigong during the first several seasons of his tv show in the most general and generic sense and also as if it were a homogeneous exercise. Oh, well

Andrew Weil's material was just plain basic to me and unremarkable. Again, I haven't read or seen enough of his materials to I support or oppose your criticism of his theories.  But I do agree with your inference about being under the Tucson sun. Too much sun and blue sky will gradually split one from reality.

I agree with your thumbs-up for Kabat-Zinn's and Siegel's respective works. Dean Ornish, of course, has been around for long time and is one of the early pioneers in "lifestyle medicine" aimed at preventing and reversing heart disease.

But as you may have gathered from my posts, Daniel Goleman is one of my favorite psychologist-authors, whose early writings on "Buddha and Meditative States of Consciousness" ( in 2 parts in the Journal of Transpersonal Psychology" in the late 70's I think--late published as a book, The Varieties of Meditative Experience (1977)) is required roadmap reading for all my Qigong students. His serious study with Indian gurus and exploration of meditation, brain function and consciousness in the 70's imparted to him a holistic view of the human process that jibes with everything that I've experienced through the Chinese meditative arts.

--Moo.  Of course dogs have souls.  My English beagle named Obie-One, has, as his name implies, has a soul far, far wiser and more noble than that of the average mere mortal.

Sifu Terry

P.S.   Plus Obie-One's beagle nose is the second best in all of dog-dom, which, blended with his superior intellect and survival instincts makes him one of best Weird-Shit-O-Meters ever to talk this planet.  Thinking of Obie-One's impeccable sense of smell has just reminded tme to that I should now remind all you Daobums of what I consider to be this particularly profane and obnoxious stink polluting the greater spirit of Tai Chi in North America:

http://thedaobums.com/topic/39553-tai-chi-zen-master-david-dorian-ross/?hl=%2Btai+%2Bchi+%2Bzen+%2Bmaster+%2Bdavid+%2Bdorian+%2Bross

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ25_amAVNCszW7r4vI0pRQ/videos

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

energy  rising  doing frequent fp meditations.   I like coupling Adv short standing med w Adv seated med ... both  start from wide brace position.  I often do  Standing... seated ... standing . it rocks  qi

Standing / seated / standing is a good routine, especially in the mornings.

In the evenings, after teaching and after completing my own practice (Tai Chi, LHBF, and 8 Sections Combined), I like to wind it all down with a seated session of at least 2 seated FP, Monk Serves Wine Meditations.  More recently, I've been doing 3 MSW's at a sitting:  One from Vol.2 + two meditations from Vol.7. 

Best,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

My dog, an English beagle named Obie-One, has, as his name implies, has a soul far, far greater and more noble than that of the average mere mortal.

I have met  sifu Obie-One you may remember  truly and old soul ... oh tis true tis true  ...

charlie

• Like 1

For those of you Bums who like to find some of your own  direct experiences from chi kung and deep meditation chronicled in ancient Taoist texts, I have recently stumbled upon a section from one such text called Kuan Tzu which has a chapter called,

Nei-yeh, which translates as Inward Training. Twenty six verses which are similar to the Tao Te Ching, yet more detailed, lucid and less symbolic. As if Lao Tzu was expounding on his own work. In a nutshell it is about vital energy, vital essence, and Oneness. Or in modern day terms, getting to the state of Pure Consciousness/Oneness/the Tao beyond thinking and beyond the 5 senses where the source of Harmony and inner Vital Essence/Chi can be found. There are descriptions of the methods to achieve this which sound like chi kung and deep meditation. Harold Roth's book, The Original Tao, is all about this Inward Training chapter.

These ancient Taoist verses are particularly of interest to me at this time since I only recently found a way to finally have my practice of Transcendental Meditation once again work for me after a completely dry spell of at least four years where it just stopped going to deep levels. I recently began doing TM immediately after doing a certain chi kung method and as soon as I did that I was able to spontaneously reach the deep levels of relaxation and consciousness that TM is known for taking people beyond thoughts to the source of thought, the transcendent. Before this I spent 4 years trying energy healers, herbs, subtle energy instruments, Oneness Blessing, Reiki, many different chi kung methods, none of which improved my meditation one iota. So the truth of Nature's secrets remain the eternal truth, chi kung plus meditation is a proven path. And so fulfilling to see this verified in ancient Taoist texts. 

• Like 1

The 90 min. private lesson that I taught earlier today consisted of this sequence of FP Qigong Exercises (after warming up with Tao Tan Pai cane form):

1. Wind Above The Clouds. (2x)
2. Monk Gazing At Moon
3. Monk Holding Peach
4. Bending the Bows - 18 reps done at sand dune speed (!) - 25 min.
5. Wind Through Treetops - 2x
6. Second Monk Serves Wine seated meditation on Vol. 2 (50 40 30 10)
7. Third MSW seated meditation on Vol.2 (90 80 50 20) - "The Waker-upper"
8. Lesson in the first movements of "Moonbeam."

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hi, i notice that when i do the tai chi form from DVD 1 it activates the flying phoenix energy...i end up doing just that warm up for a long time.

Before when i have practiced allot just relaxing or lying in bed the energy activates, i already had quite an active kundalini energy but this is different and i often start to make those grumbling noises that i make when i practice.

I have been doing mostly DVD 2 and sometimes DVD 1 as well as the sleep in DVD 7 but i want to start doing DVD 3 and 7 now...i cant keep doing DVD 2 every day.

Btw what would it take to become a teacher of flying phoenix?

Hi, i notice that when i do the tai chi form from DVD 1 it activates the flying phoenix energy...i end up doing just that warm up for a long time.

Before when i have practiced allot just relaxing or lying in bed the energy activates, i already had quite an active kundalini energy but this is different and i often start to make those grumbling noises that i make when i practice.

I have been doing mostly DVD 2 and sometimes DVD 1 as well as the sleep in DVD 7 but i want to start doing DVD 3 and 7 now...i cant keep doing DVD 2 every day.

Hi BP,

Yes, if you've practiced a lot of Flying Phoenix, other natural movements such as Tai Chi can trigger the "ignition" and circulation of the FP healing energy.

Also at some point, when one's practice highly developed, one can just do the breathing sequence of a moving meditation or a posture without doing it physically and get the same health benefits.

Where is the grumbling noises coming from in the body?

Good. proceed with Intermed. Standing meds--Wind Through Treetops and Moonbeam Splashes on Water on Vol.3, and the others on Vol.7

Another FP Practitioner just asked me about instructor certification yesterday.  

Here are the requirements--they are traditional:

A.  Demonstrate proficiency in the practice of Level I of the Flying Phoenix Qigong system (as taught in the DVD series), especially the Long Form Standing Meditation of Vol.4, which is the capstone of the system.

B.   Learn the 22-movement seated Monk Serves Wine Meditation from me and demonstrate proficiency.

C.  Be able to heal animals and humans with the FP Healing Energy.

D.  *Specifically, with regards to people, be able to balance the internal energy of any person using a couple of methods.  One method is applied to the subject lying supine, the other is done with person seated in chair.

E.   *Learn 4 Advanced Healing Meditations from me in person and demonstrate proficiency and healthy personal cultivation through their practice.

F.    *Learn the herbal medicine associated with Flying Phoenix Qigong from me in person and demonstrate healing ability.

G.   *Demonstrate the ability to teach the FP Qigong system accurately and to correct all Form and breathing errors in any student.

H.  *Demonstrate ability to teach other FP practitioners how to heal with the FP Energy.

I.  **I prefer that all students aspiring to become FPCK instructors also be a competent practitioner or instructor of any Chinese martial art.  But this is not a hard and fast rule.  When it comes to healing, anyone with the right spirit who has practiced FP Qigong diligently and has the heart to heal others can become certified by me.  

It is just as much a spiritual recognition as it is a demonstration of the instincts and facility with the Flying Phoenix Qigong art.

Fulfilling Requirements D, E, F, G, H, requires studying with me in person for some duration of period of time, up to a year or more--but not necessarily daily or even weekly apprenticeship.  But it would be a similar, closely supervised process (but perhaps not as long) as certifying an instructor in Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu--about which you can ask Sifu Garry Hearfield:

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

The grumbling noise, apart from my ibs, comes from my voice box its like an automatic response like when you eat good food mmmmmm lol i have to focus not to do it sometimes.

So i would probably have to come live in america for a while, not sure if that is a good idea im probably on some kind of terrorist watch list haha not that i should be.

How much of this can be taught via Skype? I was thinking of posting some videos on YouTube, it would be cheaper for me and once i become good at web development maybe i could move to los Angeles?

Of course despite my zealous attitude it will probably take a while for me to get good enough to be taught by you but who knows, as for Chinese martial art i take it tai chi chuen or elemental qi gong don't count?

I am not on the martial or healing aspect, but on the meditation side of the exercises.

Speaking of grumbling noise, I also happen to catch a very low pitch, deep bass "mmmmmmmmmmmm" which originates generally at the lower back of my skull and also vibrates my heart and the tailbone area. 

Another "side effect" include the natural stopping of the breath during the meditations which is pushing me to figure out the mechanics and -one day hopefully- the mastery of embryonic breathing. During the pauses, I am getting the hang of seeing and staying in  "the light" which is written to be related to Dhyanic states, and so far improving. (did not arrive at the external Blue light yet. Inner lights dazzle mostly in yellow, orange, and some purple and white) 

Another freaking "side effect" is sometimes the emergence of a different child like character that is taking over the regular me and doing the movements.

Greetings to all.

Edited by cihan

The 90 min. private lesson that I taught earlier today consisted of this sequence of FP Qigong Exercises (after warming up with Tao Tan Pai cane form):

1. Wind Above The Clouds. (2x)

2. Monk Gazing At Moon

3. Monk Holding Peach

4. Bending the Bows - 18 reps done at sand dune speed (!) - 25 min.

5. Wind Through Treetops - 2x

6. Second Monk Serves Wine seated meditation on Vol. 2 (50 40 30 10)

7. Third MSW seated meditation on Vol.2 (90 80 50 20) - "The Waker-upper"

8. Lesson in the first movements of "Moonbeam."

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thanks for sharing!

It takes me 36 min to do the 18 reps, I guess I'm slower than a sand dune then

Edited by pitisukha
  • Like 1

Sifu Terry,

You've written previously about the importance of doing Flying Phoenix in areas of positive energy.  Would it be bad to practice the 90 second flash meditations in a public restroom, if one was at work or it was the only convenient and private location in a pinch?

Sifu Terry,

You've written previously about the importance of doing Flying Phoenix in areas of positive energy.  Would it be bad to practice the 90 second flash meditations in a public restroom, if one was at work or it was the only convenient and private location in a pinch?

Hi Growant,

Definitely not optimum and not advised.  I wouldn't advise practicing any type of Qigong in a public restroom--even in a pinch for space and privacy.  --Nor anything other health activity.  

Unless the restroom is immaculate and spotlessly clean with great ventilation-- like at the Lanesborough Hotel in London.  But then again, who wants to be exposed to other people's energies associated with their excretory processes?!

A public restroom is full of germs trudged in by people's shoes, then mixed with liquids spilled from sink, soap dispensers, towel dispensers. And then, of course, there's spillage out of the urinals and toilets.  Plus any extremely foul smell in a restroom is airborne bacteria.  Ever walk by a homeless person who hasn't bathed in a week?  Breathing that in can make you instantly ill if one's immunity isn't at peak.  Public restrooms contain similar contagions that you don't want to relax and open up your system to!

Good luck finding better places to practice FP during breaks at work!

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Hi Aeran,

I'm glad to hear that you've recently felt more of the unique qualities of the blue Flying Phoenix Healing Energy and I'm especially glad to hear that you were able to discern that the FP Healing Energy is not the same type of Chi that one might become aware of from doing meditation, or basic forms of Indian Yoga, or from doing Tai Chi Chuan. As I've stated throughout this thread, the FP Healing Chi is a distinctive and unique healing energy with amazing and profound properties, such as the "awareness and volition" that you described, which, as I've described in the past on this thread, is demonstrated in its spontaneous "jumping off" of one's body to heal another human nearby for which one has concern and the even slightest positive regard without having any focussed intention to heal).

My answers to your questions follow:
    I was wondering if you could explain a bit more about where this energy comes from?As I stated in Year One of this thread, the FP Healing Chi is both cultivated within one's body through the Chi Kung and it is then magnified when the practitioner's consciousness merges with and taps into the celestial "stem" (or macrocosmic "trunk") of the Flying Phoenix Healing Energy and spiritual consciousness.
    Is it something which exists dormant in the body and is activated by the combination of breath sequences and movements?No, the FP Healing Energy does not exist in a dormant manner in the body. It is not inherent nor intrinsic to the human being. As you yourself had stated in your post, FP Healing Energy is not an "excess" of the "regular chi" that circulates throughout one's body and which one can feel and become aware of in natural postures such as Wu-chi.
    If one never practiced FP Qigong, one would never experience the FP Healing Chi and its healing and rejuvenating benefits. For if the FP Healing Chi is inherent or intrinsic part of the human process, one would not need to do the FP breath sequences and movements to activate it...one's aura would naturally be blue and have healing effects without requiring any special FP Qigong exercises to manifest it. The potential to cultivate the FP Healing Energy through practice of the FP Qigong, of course, exists in every human being.
    The Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Kung (Fei Feng San Gung) is the gift from Heaven to mortal man to heal mind, body and soul and raise human consciousness to Heaven.
    Is it brought in from some external source? Something else entirely?It is both: (A) created within the body by way of the FP Qigong and ( B ) at some point, spontaneously merged with the external macrocosmic trunk or stem of FP Heavenly Healing Chi through the sudden consciousness that the FP Energy within is the same as that which exists without. When a practitioner becomes aware of this connection between his microcosmic energy with the macrocosmic "trunk" of FP Energy varies from person to person.
    At this point in my life, the only popular Meditation tradition in the West that I know of, which has some similarities to the consciousness and structural sensitivity facilitated by the FP Qigong is the Oneness Meditation Movement conducted by Sri Bhagavan and his wife Amma, for when Steve Mehl ("Tao Stillness") introduced the Oneness Meditation's consciousness to me via this thread through the remote readings of FP Qigong exercises by medical clairvoyant Eric Isen, who is a deeksha (and initiate who has the yogic -psychic power to serve as a battery and distributor of Oneness Meditation Consciousness) in the Oneness Movement, I instantly and then repeatedly felt Oneness Meditation's very specific activation of certain brain centers, which affects a different configuration of specific brain centers than the one that FP Qigong activates. As I had stated earlier in the thread, I somehow channeled and experienced the Oneness Meditation's brain activation from simply reading an email written by Eric Isen that Steve Mehl had forwarded to me containing Eric's most accurate remote reading of the health-and-spiritual benefits of several FP Qigong exercises plus a few others that I suggested that Steve have him check out.
    The origin and source of the Oneness Meditation Movement's energy channel is created and upheld by a monastic community in India. Similarly, the celestial "stem" conducting the FP Healing Energy was created at the Ehrmeishan monastery in 1644 according to the Bok Fu Pai oral tradition, which can be accessed by anyone practicing the FP Qigong correctly. The Oneness Meditation Movement / tradition is very different from the FP Qigong tradition in terms of their respective Yogas, but the supramundane consciousness of Oneness Meditation is very similar to the Flying Phoenix spiritual consciousness that was originally channeled or created by Feng Tao Teh and Ehrmeishan spiritualism (involves saintly sacrifice/devotion/compassionate action) and then access to it was impeccably preserved and transmitted down through the ages by GM Doo Wai's ancestral line.
    FP Qigong, as a powerful and complete system of Yoga and meditation, if properly practiced, very quickly liberates all the senses by bringing all the organ functions under the regulation of the self-conscious mind. In other words, practice of FP Qigong naturally dissolves the control of the senses by the conscious mind, which is something that Sri Bhagavan extols as a highly desirable goal of meditation in the video clip below. Other people call it the dissolution of the ego. Similarly, you can describe FP Qigong's integrative effects as thoroughly cleansing the "doors of perception"-- to borrow the phrase of Aldus Huxley, or as turning off one's "internal dialog" (as coined by Carlos Castaneda)--the internal dialog being the conscious critical mind that names everything that one experiences according to one's cultural upbringing, education, religious conditioning, etc. As Castaneda explained as the fruit of meditation, pure consciousness: when one has turned off the internal dialog, one has succeeded in "stopping the world", the opposite of which is that undesirable human condition that Sri Bhagavan describes below as constantly "chasing after one's thoughts."

Good questions, Aeran. I hope this helps.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thanks for such a detailed reply Sifu Terry - and sorry for taking so long to get back to you on it, I typed up a draft reply, got diverted and saved a copy, then forgot that I hadn't actually posted it. I've got some more questions if you don't mind me dragging the conversation back a few months :P

Regarding the spontaneous "jump healing," is this an effect that can also be initiated at will and focused to provide a more specific or intense healing process. ie. if someone has a problem in a specific organ, can you direct the FP Chi with intention to heal this specific organ, or will it naturally diffuse throughout their system to provide the overall "whole system" healing/balancing as it does when cultivated through the FPCK? More generally speaking, I'd love to hear more about how you heal with the FP Chi.

How does the practice of the FP Chi Kung and the cultivation of the FP Chi effect the pre-existing energy and energetic anatomy? A lot of the postures and movements in FP are similar to what I've seen in other Chi Kung systems - does this mean that the "regular" Chi will increase in quantity to some degree on top of tapping into and cultivating the FP Chi, just by the act of undertaking a yogic/meditative practice?

What effect does FP Chi have on the regular Chi within the body? Does it remain something separate to a degree, or is the FP Chi, to use a poor analogy, "soluble" with the regular Chi? 

Regarding the FP "stem," would I be correct in thinking of this as something akin to the Western concept of an Egregore (I'm not sure of the Daoist terminology, sorry)? Does it have some kind of active, unique consciousness of it's own (akin to a spirit, deity, etc), or such an entity related to it?

You state that the FP Chi in the body only connects to the main "stem" after a certain amount has already accumulated in the practitioner - just to make sure I fully understand the process, does this mean the process of cultivating the specific FP Chi is an internal, alchemical process triggered by the breathing percentages and movements, and once a sufficient quantity of it occurs in the system it kind of "magnetizes" the practitioner to the main stem, which further energizes them and speeds up the expansion of consciousness?

What would happen if someone performed the breathing percentages without the movements, or vice versa, or matched the wrong percentages to the wrong movements? I assume nothing good, as you warn against it :P I'm just really curious to learn more about how exactly the system and it's unique energy function. I get the impression that the breath percentages are the catalyst in the meditations which connect the practitioner to the FP "stem."

To what extent are the other Bok Fu Pai meditations similar to the FPCK system, in the sense of using breath percentages (I believe Sifu Hearfield's Sunn Yee Gong does), tapping into a unique macrocosmic energy as opposed to inherent/internal/local/environmental energy, etc?

Sorry if that's too many questions :P In truth I actually have a lot more, as I'm fascinated by how these systems work, but I don't want to consume too much of your time.

Thank you again for taking the time for such a detailed answer.

Aeran's questions and Sifu Terry's replies remind me of traditional master-disciple discourses that are recorded in ancient Buddist and Taoist texts. Profound wisdom has been extolled.

Sifu Terry has provided a nice summary of the Oneness Blessing energy which does not include any exercises, it just involves a passive reception from a Blessing Giver whose brain has been rewired to carry and transmit this unique transformational energy to promote Awakening and/or Enlightenment. The suspension of perceiving/reacting thru the ego, or as Sifu Terry aptly referenced back to Castenada's term, "stopping the world", is Awakening. This cannot be understood on the level of the intellect without the actual experience. I was blessed to have been in this state temporarily at least in 1977 while on an experimental meditation course created by Transcendental Meditation guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. This is what allows me to understand the teachings of Sri Bhagavan and other enlightened sages to some degree. The really good news is that this Awakening state of Consciousness produced by the PHYSICAL rewiring of the brain is permanent and "easily" obtainable within 4 weeks! What seekers have spent lifetimes working for can now be had in a matter of weeks. That is the astonishing good news. The bad news is that for this to happen one must go to the Oneness University in India to attend the course where it is claimed that 100% of the people of every one of these courses now leaves with some degree of permanent Awakening. I was privileged to hear first hand what it is like before and after Awakening when my best friend took the course a few years ago. His experiences have been confirmed by other people that I have met in the Oneness movement. Awakening or no Awakening, I still plan to do chi kung for the rest of my life to safeguard my health and to experience whatever spiritual benefits come with this energy cultivation. One of the first Americans to become Awakened is Michael Milner of Tampa, Florida. He is one of those seekers who has great spiritual experiences from whatever energy method he tries. His biography is amazing to read. In spite of being highly Awakened he continues to do a chi kung method that he learned at the age of 18, Tao Tan Pai, which Sifu Terry has practiced for 42 years. So in spite of reaching the elusive human goal of Awakening, people still crave the experiences and benefits from chi kung. I think that says it all.

• Like 2

In my experience, awakening is the recognition of our True nature, pure, ever-present unlimited Awareness.

Our True nature, by definition, is ever-present, when practice and when we don't practice.

The only One that can recognize this is the only Thing ever existed, Awareness itself. Awakening is not a special state of consciousness, it does not happen in time or spice... mind try to explain Awakening imagining an event in time and space, witch in fact are created by mind itself.

Thus the Awakening it's not a mind thing, the mind through repeated awakening begins to gradually redefine any thought and believes.

Awakening doesn't require or necessarily imply Transformation (even if often there is some kind of transformation as a byproduct), transformation doesn't require Awakening (even if after repeated transformations it becomes obvious our non-objective/empty nature).

In this way Awakening and Transformation can support each other.

Edited by pitisukha
  • Like 2

The really good news is that this Awakening state of Consciousness produced by the PHYSICAL rewiring of the brain is permanent and "easily" obtainable within 4 weeks! What seekers have spent lifetimes working for can now be had in a matter of weeks. That is the astonishing good news.

In spite of being highly Awakened he continues to do a chi kung method that he learned at the age of 18, Tao Tan Pai, which Sifu Terry has practiced for 42 years. So in spite of reaching the elusive human goal of Awakening, people still crave the experiences and benefits from chi kung.

If there is no afterlife, and you get "fixed" and understand your real nature so easy and quick, it is wonderful of course. You can live a very fulfilled life investing so little of your time. 

But if life goes on after this,  I doubt that there will be any memory of it left in future episodes without doing real personal clean up with meditation. Yogic technologies  provide the fuel to get in touch with these high created realms like Oneness or Flying Phoenix, and it is very practical-and awesome for doing some "work" in the mundane world by the provided siddhis.

Unless you are wise and powerful  enough to  fix or understand the life machine, which seems to be only possible by applying your powers to gain wisdom and karma clean up, falling from heavens is inevitable.

Higher manifestations are still within the life machine, and it is a giant and festive step to be able to reach there of course, but kung fu must go on for  the transformation.

Edited by cihan
  • Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry

Another question has been on my mind.

In Flying Phoenix practice, where does the qi come from? Is it existing internal qi that is purified and amplified or is it environmental qi brought in?

If it is environmental qi that raises a question of clearing the space. It would be great to know if there is a way of clearing the space without having to first induce a trance.

According to my experience with entities and energy I have found that most habitations have lingering qi, if not straight up energy bodies from previous occupants and also residual from arguments and the like. I wouldn't want to draw that in.

I have seen a post in which you advise someone to never practise energy work in a restroom and whilst I agree with you it does raise questions of absorption as environmental qi is rarely pure where we live. I am inclined to suspect a banishing circle should be established as a precaution. If you can suggest your best routine it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

Edited by Astral_butterfly

I think the environmental concerns about negative energy might be addressed by the oldest system of healthcare on this planet,

Ayurveda, the Science of Life, cognized, not invented by the great Rishis of India at the birth of each of the cycles of the Earth.

There are certain vibrations in the form of specific Sanskrit hymns intoned in the precise manner to dispel the above mentioned concerns about negative energy. Proper balanced energies in the Vedas is called Vastu. Instead of spending a fortune to have this proper positioning of the rooms of a house, etc., for $5.00 I obtained a Vastu chanting CD which claims to align the household energies to proper balance for 24 hours. So I try to remember to play this each day in my living space and I would guess that this would help to some extent the practice of chi kung.

On to a different subject. Have other people noticed that the chi feels stronger when doing chi kung after 11pm?