GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

"I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you."

Seen on a t-shirt

That almost sounds like "I can tell you but then I would have to kill you."

“The little word is has its tragedies; it marries and identifies different things with the greatest innocence; and yet no two are ever identical, and if therein lies the charm of wedding them and calling them one, therein too lies the danger.   Whenever I use the word is, except in the sheerest tautology, I deeply misuse it; and when I discover my error, the world seems to fall asunder, and the members of of my family no longer know one another.”

~ George Santayana

• Like 2

That I am not the one who loves –

It’s love that seizes me.

When hatred with his package comes,

You forbid delivery.

~  Leonard Cohen

• Like 4

Our self-assigned mission is to unforget.

Some of us will go an entire lifetime without remembering

that it is all about love.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 5

Quotes with the theme of 'Dark Places'

“Holy places are dark places. It is life and strength, not knowledge and words, that we get in them. Holy wisdom is not clear and thin like water, but thick and dark like blood.”
C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces

"Our roots are in the dark; the earth is our country. Why did we look up for blessing — instead of around, and down? What hope we have lies there. Not in the sky full of orbiting spy-eyes and weaponry, but in the earth we have looked down upon. Not from above, but from below. Not in the light that blinds, but in the dark that nourishes, where human beings grow human souls."
Ursula K. Le Guin

“There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own Soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”
C. G. Jung

• Like 1

That's a strange concept to my mind.  Thought required.

well, you're never too old to learn  ;) , btw, can you point me to a downloadable version of chuang zu?

It's about time i start reading that, and it's easier for me to read from paper then from a screen

well, you're never too old to learn  ;) , btw, can you point me to a downloadable version of chuang zu?

It's about time i start reading that, and it's easier for me to read from paper then from a screen

You might try this link:

http://pnbpdf.abhappybooks.com/book/978-0415846523

It is a pdf file of H. Giles' translation.

There are others but I seem to have misplaced my memory.

• Like 1

"I will take with me the emptiness of my hands
What you do not have you find everywhere"

~ W.S. Merwin, from "Provision"

• Like 2

You might try this link:

http://pnbpdf.abhappybooks.com/book/978-0415846523

It is a pdf file of H. Giles' translation.

There are others but I seem to have misplaced my memory.

Thank you !!!

hope for you you'll find your memory back.

and this might be some sort of hint  http://www.thedaobums.com/topic/40938-hammer-test/?p=685042

but then, you know I'm not a materialist anymore  ;)

BES

• Like 1

“Vulnerability is not weakness, and the uncertainty, risk, and emotional exposure we face every day are not optional. Our only choice is a question of engagement. Our willingness to own and engage with our vulnerability determines the depth of our courage and the clarity of our purpose; the level to which we protect ourselves from being vulnerable is a measure of our fear and disconnection.”

~ Brené Brown
  • Like 3

That's a pretty heavy concept.  Who of us are not vulnerable in some manner?  So we establish defenses but some evil spirits still get through.  How do we engage?

• Like 2

That's a pretty heavy concept.  Who of us are not vulnerable in some manner?  So we establish defenses but some evil spirits still get through.  How do we engage?

Now that would make an interesting discussion topic - one I consider very important for anyone on a spiritual path.

• Like 3

"Repetition doesn’t really exist.  As far as your mind is concerned, nothing happens the same twice, even if in every technical sense, the thing is identical. Your perception is constantly shifting. It doesn’t stay in one place." ~ Brian Eno

• Like 2

The search for happiness is not about looking at life through rose-colored glasses or blinding oneself to the pain and imperfections of the world. Nor is happiness a state of exultation to be perpetuated at all costs; it is the purging of mental toxins, such as hatred and obsession, that literally poison the mind. It is also about learning how to put things in perspective and reduce the gap between appearances and reality. To that end we must acquire a better knowledge of how the mind works and a more accurate insight into the nature of things, for in its deepest sense, suffering is intimately linked to a misapprehension of the nature of reality.  – - Matthieu Ricard

• Like 6

We need the coldness of death to see clearly. Life wants to live and to die, to begin and to end. You are not forced to live eternally; but you can also die, since there is a will in you for both. Life and death must strike a balance in your existence. Today's men need a large slice of death, since too much incorrectness lives in them, and too much correctness died in them. What stays in balance is correct, what disturbs balance is incorrect. But if balance has been attained, then that which preserves it is incorrect and that which disturbs it is correct. Balance is at once life and death. For the completion of life a balance with death is fitting. If I accept death, then my tree greens, since dying increases life. If I plunge into the death encompassing the world, then my buds break open. How much our life needs death!

Joy at the smallest things comes to you only when you have accepted death. But if you look out greedily for all that you could still live, then nothing is great enough for your pleasure, and the smallest things that continue to surround you are no longer a joy. Therefore I behold death, since it teaches me how to live. If you accept death, it is altogether like a frosty night and an anxious misgiving, but a frosty night in a vineyard full of sweet grapes. You will soon take pleasure in your wealth. Death ripens. One needs death to be able to harvest the fruit. Without death, life would be meaningless, since the long-lasting rises again and denies its own meaning. To be, and to enjoy your being, you need death, and limitation enables you to fulfill your being.

- Jung

• Like 2

corn.jpg

There was a farmer who grew excellent quality corn. Every year he won the award for the best grown corn. One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learned something interesting about how he grew it. The reporter discovered that the farmer shared his seed corn with his neighbors. “How can you afford to share your best seed corn with your neighbors when they are entering corn in competition with yours each year?” the reporter asked.

“Why sir,” said the farmer, “Didn’t you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbors grow inferior corn, cross-pollination will steadily degrade the quality of my corn. If I am to grow good corn, I must help my neighbors grow good corn.”

• Like 7

The primordial force is the radiance of the sun, which the sons of the sun have carried in themselves for aeons and pass on to their children. But if the soul dips into radiance, she becomes as remorseless as the God himself - since the life of the divine child, which you have eaten, will feel like glowing coals in you. It will burn inside you like a terrible, inextinguishable fire. But despite all the torment, you cannot let it be, since it will not let you be. From this you will understand that your God is alive and that your soul has begun wandering on remorseless paths. You feel that the fire of the sun has erupted in you. Something new has been added to you, a holy affliction.

Sometimes you no longer recognize yourself. You want to overcome it, but it overcomes you. You want to set limits, but it compels you to keep going. You want to elude it, but it comes with you. You want to employ it, but you are its tool; you want to think about it, but your thoughts obey it. Finally the fear of the inescapable seizes you, for it comes after you slowly and invincibly.

There is no escape. So it is that you come to know what a real God is. Now you'll think up clever truisms, preventive measures, secret escape routes, excuses, potions capable of inducing forgetfulness, but it's all useless. The fire burns right through you. That which guides forces you onto the way.

- Jung

tumblr_lzo2cgku8m1r6s0jn.jpg

• Like 2