sean

What are you listening to?

Recommended Posts

I haven't had much exposure to Wings or his two albums prior to Wings and after The Beatles... aside from the few that the radio pumped continually.

 

Looks like I have some delicious research coming up... :)

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly epic Mongolian music! 

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YouTube playlists under construction:

 

African:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBJTEIZNeZSzWGXRrhggs3f

Alternative/rock:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daB5GsIfPnTOtBrqjP6k_Kya

Ambient:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daDpg4X6RNB5aBYOJ5gItYC0

Angst:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBy47Kb5tmjhcYI_2g9NQWE

Bhangra/desibeats/punjabi:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daAjC052uTHWqUK-kGboZnNn

Bohemian/world:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daCV6WEA1tF3lKGZbtTwN0co

Carnatika:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daC3dZa6_5S479mOJdr9Y9YY

D&B/jungle:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daABnVy83q4xVLjCwqm2S1p7

Dub/step:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daACEo0EBz0b6wYyJ90--dRB

Exercise/active:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daAhqaAgCcDmOlbITmfl3lm0

Female vocalists:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBOm4-JgMDv159qQfoDo3E1

Gamelon:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBMLa-I6LUGrVT7cBkhiQWH

Gnawa trance:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daD8DDaujRqXr7aWIZ4DeQLM

Unsorted Hindu devotional:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daCcZC-rYmiFlINPyvuVou3b

Hip hop/R&B/etc:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daDyX0HUIn-5vmb-l6-wPWK6

Misc. Indian:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBOJn1mL_8i7M7cLrM3iUjT

Indie, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daCvfwUKf9HoXVa2y-ZuVuLd

World Jazz/blues:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daDPN6KbRuJo6kTWw_QVODFQ

Kali:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daB7_RBg7wmDCu54igNRbNi5

Sad/nostalgic:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daDm5pjyc4RjN86WYmAlIJup

Middle Eastern:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBhycVzawYbE3Rg_u_fWMiG

Mongolian:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBZjXeBp4T9mS_-g6d_2GL-

Native American:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daCRsChazG1XnFVja5_7L0-L

Percussion:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBcSrerI47gjj3HiZYccwWv

Reggae/dancehall:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daDVVJ8MU9nq2GzVBJsVEqD0

Remixes:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBF_JEVP8fy6vekg7tswMqV

Romantic/intimate:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daDzVWEz-KTA95ds0MA50TqE

Shakti songs:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daDzZ0uj-Mi6vz_9Up6gLT5u

Shiva:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daASh-9cUwrKmSUx_i-DXfoq

South American/latin:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daAP8tiOS3V3IRS4-vhF-_6D

Spiritual/trance/meditation:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daAms02p_xuI7a2UNxwmuA1-

Trap/EDM/etc:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daD6yqM0k3pQPgtOsRhfdqMd

Uppity pop:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbOOBhqy-daBX1KeCJbZbbn7PTyl4aG1B

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Apech What's wrong with you? :D 

 

If you are going to listen to historical songs of Russian rebellion, better check out this one:

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maria Rita doing a cover of O Rappa's Minha Alma

I might have posted this before but I can't really get enough!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continuing the theme of the Great patriotic War:

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Apech said:

Continuing the theme of the Great patriotic War:

 

 

 

How come I never heard this one.  It's beautiful and surprisingly accurate.  Could have been narrated by a few of my relatives.  

 

The first one you posted is from the Civil War of 1918-1921 though, not the Great Patriotic.  And the one I posted is from 1848.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Taomeow about 25 years ago... I was hanging out with my Ukrainian buddy.

 

He was playing a Russian folk song and I became overwhelmed by sadness, it was sudden, intense and brought on tears.

 

I asked him what the song was about.  This is what I recall.

 

"It's called Black Roses.  It's about the Afghanistan war and the black roses that are being brought home to be planted in their graves... the sons sent off to the war, coming home black roses."

 

Do you know this song?  Perhaps it was Black Tulips?  anyway, it was a visceral and deep resonation from a language I have no local awareness of, but fully connected with, in spirit.  I'd love to hear it again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

 

How come I never heard this one.  It's beautiful and surprisingly accurate.  Could have been narrated by a few of my relatives.  

 

The first one you posted is from the Civil War of 1918-1921 though, not the Great Patriotic.  And the one I posted is from 1848.  

 

Ah forgive my ignorance - thanks for the info.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

@Taomeow about 25 years ago... I was hanging out with my Ukrainian buddy.

 

He was playing a Russian folk song and I became overwhelmed by sadness, it was sudden, intense and brought on tears.

 

I asked him what the song was about.  This is what I recall.

 

"It's called Black Roses.  It's about the Afghanistan war and the black roses that are being brought home to be planted in their graves... the sons sent off to the war, coming home black roses."

 

Do you know this song?  Perhaps it was Black Tulips?  anyway, it was a visceral and deep resonation from a language I have no local awareness of, but fully connected with, in spirit.  I'd love to hear it again.

My buddy remembered it.

 

Black Tulips. 

 

wow... just crushes me, this song.

 

 

Lyrics in English, for those interested.

 

 

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

@Taomeow about 25 years ago... I was hanging out with my Ukrainian buddy.

 

He was playing a Russian folk song and I became overwhelmed by sadness, it was sudden, intense and brought on tears.

 

I asked him what the song was about.  This is what I recall.

 

"It's called Black Roses.  It's about the Afghanistan war and the black roses that are being brought home to be planted in their graves... the sons sent off to the war, coming home black roses."

 

Do you know this song?  Perhaps it was Black Tulips?  anyway, it was a visceral and deep resonation from a language I have no local awareness of, but fully connected with, in spirit.  I'd love to hear it again.

 

Ah, yes, it's a heartbreaking antiwar song about Afghanistan.  You are very perceptive!  :wub:

 

It's not exactly a folk song...  and not a mainstream one.  In between we have a tradition of songs created and performed by authors, very widespread and deeply rooted in the culture.  It has produced many outstanding talents over the decades.  We call them "bards" -- like the Medieval poet-composer-storyteller-oral historian professionals.  In America it's perhaps Bob Dylan who comes somewhat close but it's not the same.  At some point some of our bards also started going commercial, to varying extents, but most of the time most of them created outside the officialdom and often against it and sometimes in a dangerous conflict with it. 

 

The song you heard is Black Tulips, by one of those bards, Alexander Rosenbaum.  I happen to have met him once, he wasn't famous yet (he later did become famous and somewhat commercial), he was a classmate of my best friend at the then-Leningrad medical school, though already a professional bard at the time I met him, not a doctor anymore.  Here's the song -- it starts at 0:40

 

 

 

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

 

Ah, yes, it's a heartbreaking antiwar song about Afghanistan.  You are very perceptive!  :wub:

 

It's not exactly a folk song...  and not a mainstream one.  In between we have a tradition of songs created and performed by authors, very widespread and deeply rooted in the culture.  It has produced many outstanding talents over the decades.  We call them "bards" -- like the Medieval poet-composer-storyteller-oral historian professionals.  In America it's perhaps Bob Dylan who comes somewhat close but it's not the same.  At some point some of our bards also started going commercial, to varying extents, but most of the time most of them created outside the officialdom and often against it and sometimes in a dangerous conflict with it. 

 

The song you heard is Black Tulips, by one of those bards, Alexander Rosenbaum.  I happen to have met him once, he wasn't famous yet (he later did become famous and somewhat commercial), he was a classmate of my best friend at the then-Leningrad medical school, though already a professional bard at the time I met him, not a doctor anymore.  Here's the song -- it starts at 0:40

The experience really rocked my buddy and I both... know nothing of russian, but it was like a thunderbolt through me, hearing that song.  He took it in stride though.  Though a stout pragmatist, he was unphased by the spiritual when it arose... just shrugged and accepted it.

 

The bard tradition you describe in Russia... sounds very familiar.  The Skalds of the Nordic folk were central to life and inspired deep admiration and adoration for their songs and stories.  Must be a symptom of looooong winters held in tight quarters to develop a deep tradition of song and storytelling.  

 

My acting and singing days came naturally to me, unsought, it was a driving force of my life for a couple decades. 

 

So much lives in the blood.  In the memory of the body. 

1 minute ago, Taomeow said:

Ah, we posted simultaneously!  :) 

 

[email protected]~!~~

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites