sean

What are you listening to?

Hey everyone,

Currently I'm listening to Byzantine Secular Music volume 1 by Christodoulos Halaris.

He found Byzantine secular music in monasteries and he made the Byzantine instruments and set the music accordingly with proper tuning......Very smart man.

The music of my ancestors, the Byzantines, is very different from modern Greek music.

Greek Orthodox chants in church are the only things which the secular music can be compared to, nothing else can compare.

Stefos

The brilliant new offering, 'Popular Problems', by the legendary Leonard Cohen.

I need to check this out.

Right now, O.C. & Apollo Brown :closedeyes:

• Like 1

You mean RAP ? :lol:

No, no, no! Blues roots music rearranged in a modern, electric environment.

However, your joke wasn't entirely wasted because a couple of the artists get just on the edge of Rap.

And I do have one Zydeco Rap song. In fact, they titled it "Cajun Rap Song". It's about Cajun life.

Right now I am listening to Cajun/Zydeco music while copying a few Classic Rock files that I need to do some editing to. (What I did was create collections (files) of two different artists and their individual music just doesn't work well together so I will separate them and make new files with only one artist per file.

But luckily most of the collections I put together work very well with the artists involved.

I go through phases in my music listening. Since late last year until a month or 2 back, I was listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin, Jason Mraz, Michael Jackson, Wang Feng, Wang Fei, Billy Joel, Incubus.. a fairly random collection. The kind of stuff I'd choose at karaoke...

Now, though, I find myself back in the hip-hop.

Is it a seasonal thing?

Ahah I'm the opposite edge I'm bored with hip hop and have been into reggae/rock lately

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xstxgx_groundation-jah-jah-know_music

Seasons sure have an influence on what we're up to. Depends on many things but most people I know that are audiophile are cyclical too in matter of preferences.

I think every daily practice go through phases. I'm not even sure that linearity happens in Nature but that's a question for a physicist.

• Like 2

Like Joe Banamassa, Popa Chubby ? I like them but it sounds generally the same for my ears.

I agree with you. This is an area of music where the individuality of the artist is of the utmost importance. Just casually listening, yes, they all pretty much sound the same. And, it's mostly in the guitar playing as many of them don't have a good musical voice.

Now, though, I find myself back in the hip-hop.

Is it a seasonal thing?

It might be you trying to be younger than you really are.

It might be you trying to be younger than you really are.

:D it does keep me up on the slang

Actually.. almost everything I listen to these days is from the '80s and '90s

Or newer stuff from artists who've been around since the '80s, most of whom are now in their 40s and 50s. There's some real wisdom in hip-hop these days..

• Like 1

Yup, hip hop is old as punk. It's very easy to picture an old punk because this culture/music stayed what it was but hip hop evolved a lot. People of the "golden age" of hip hop are around 50.

There's bridges between hip hop and cultivation : the loop is kind of a musical mantra, self-made knowledge, the research of the always changing flow, many "punchline" are sort of koan ... that speaks to me.

From an album called Donuts Clouds

• Like 2