Sign in to follow this  
Trixter Streetcat

taichi and brazilian jiujitsu

wow, no one can apply more than 4 ounces of pressure to you?? you must be very very good.

metta

adam

I also learned extensive yielding exercises and no one can apply more than four ounces of pressure to me EVER, unless they move really fast. I had a master try to shove me by surprise (if anyone can piss off a master it's me) and I just casually yielded as I walked by holding two glasses of pop. I didn't spill my drinks on him nor did I miss a step, I just easily yielded when the pressure got to four ounces and kept right on walking by, and he lost face even more, poor old feller. I can't yield fast enough to dodge a lightning fast punch, but there is no way in hell that some lumbering lumox who is trying to tackle me can get a hold of me OR, if I let him touch me it will be because I just exploded one of his kidneys or vertebrea as he comes in low. Remember the post I wrote, where I did a one inch punch against the door jamb of a big old three story wood school building and the building resounded with a boom?

I'm guessing that the BJJ guy who threw you did so when you tried to punch him, is that correct?

For some reason you think I haven't been taken down, why is that?

I didn't just learn the form, I've learned internal art combat methods from someone who was Bruce lee's equal and his buddy, but who then far surpassed what Bruce could do. Now I'm learning from that guy's senior student.

I've been taken down a lot but it's always when I try to punch someone, which is the way it's supposed to work in tai chi, but if you know how tai chi works you will know that there are ways to not allow another to apply force, and that's a FACT. I'm not saying I'm there, but a couple of my teachers are.

So that's what happens when you think I've only been doing tai chi for a few years, lots of bragging :) Just keep in mind, if you want to know what is possible in the arts, I may have seen it =)

Starjumper,

Sorry dude, I thought I read somewhere you only started taijiquan 5 years ago. Also none of the post that you quoted was directed at you. It was directed mostly at my sisters old school and the majority of taijiquan people I have met. BTW, I dont get thrown when I try to punch. It happens during normal randori. Got any video? I love seeing us 20+ year taijiquan guys move! B)

Thanks,

Darin

Nice vid Spectrum!

Starjumper,

Sorry dude, I thought I read somewhere you only started taijiquan 5 years ago. Also none of the post that you quoted was directed at you. It was directed mostly at my sisters old school and the majority of taijiquan people I have met. BTW, I dont get thrown when I try to punch. It happens during normal randori. Got any video? I love seeing us 20+ year taijiquan guys move! B)

No problem Darin. Actually I don't get thrown. I used the word 'taken down', and it happens fairly often when I try to punch someone in applications class. If I don't get taken down it's because they stop at the locking/trapping point.

I don't get thrown because I'm such an old fart and they don't want to hurt me. I have that one video of me doing Chen but it's like really casual =) I want to make some more videos but I need to get a new computer as planned obsolescence has overtaken mine.

What is randori?

Anyway, concerning BJJ and tai chi these are my thoughts: While tai chi is a deadly nasty stinky tricky dirty killing art, BJJ is a game. Apples and oranges. Consider this: if there was a deadly confrontation and you (generic you, not you, Darin) needed to take someone out would you bend over in order to grab their legs and expose your back to them? I don't think so! Do you think special forces tackle someone to the ground if they need to kill them? The only reason BJJ guys do that is because they know you won't kill them when they try it, and this also makes it unfair because they are taking advantage of you.

Star,

Im a Kung Fu man through and through but let me say that ive played with and trained with some AWESOME BJJ and JUDOKA and they are deadly people. They can have to twisted and snapped like a prietzil (sp)! I know what you are saying and trying to make out about chinese martial arts being the most deadliest but realistically most Kung Fu teachers can hardly fight comparing to the MMA crowd and BJJ fighters as BJJ has also got striking these days.

I enter Judo and BJJ as I love to compete and feel to old to be in the stand up fighting comps due to not wanting injuries that will have me take time off work and lose money for the family but grappling as a Game or fun is one thing but getting thrown on concrete and choked out or knee barred, heel hooked is not good for you as much a nice K'O punch. Grappling systems can cripple you for life if up against a sessioned grappler or even a basic grappler!

Ape

I agree ape, thanks for the correction. Writing is so limited and I was only commenting on one limited aspect. Actually, as far as BJJ is concerned I was only looking at the take down tackle and how tai chi would deal with evading it. I think only the yielding arts are equipped to deal with evading a tackle, obviously, but any good punching art should be able to injure a person in the back when they bend over to tackle you.

One thing cool about tai chi though, is that if you practice it in slow motion it does something to your time perception. It feels like when you are moving at high speed that time has longer duration and when you are super alert it seems like things are slowed down and they are moving in slow motion.

Good for you that you like to mix it up in the ring. I've been thinking of trying a little boxing, with really big gloves =) My teacher said that the only kind of fighter that would concern him would be a boxer but he had a plan to deal with them too.

Edited by Starjumper7

Ha, my teacher said that good boxers are internal they can punch for rounds and have good cardio and still be relaxed when attacked or striking!

All arts deal with almost every situation IMHO its pulling off the actually technique at that given time, takedowns happen best at close range like bridge, colar ties, under hooks, over hooks. I think most people (beginners) think that the shoot starts from way out of kicking range when in fact its at punching range or even closer. All arts use soft and hard just a matter of skill for practitioners if they prefer the yeilding or more agressive attacking/striking theory. Use what needs to be used at that given time, cant predict most fights when it happens you need to be able to flow from striking to grappling, to clinch, to kicking etc.

take care

Ape

Give a little. Post your vids. Find the way in play.

Edited by Spectrum

...but realistically most Kung Fu teachers can hardly fight comparing to the MMA crowd and BJJ fighters as BJJ has also got striking these days.

:D Did you see Ricardo Almeida fight? He is supposedly one of the BJJ shining lights (in the UFC) and he cannot strike if his like depended upon it.

I enter Judo and BJJ as I love to compete and feel to old to be in the stand up fighting comps due to not wanting injuries that will have me take time off work and lose money for the family but grappling as a Game or fun is one thing but getting thrown on concrete and choked out or knee barred, heel hooked is not good for you as much a nice K'O punch. Grappling systems can cripple you for life if up against a sessioned grappler or even a basic grappler!

Personally I have found Taijiquan to be the perfect answer to a grappler's techniques; as has been said Taiji is the sneakiest of sneaky arts and the the metaphor of being like water certainly applies to my understanding of Taiji when an opponent is trying a 'hold' of some description!

Edited by Yuen Biao

haha. good answer

metta

adam

No, I'm just a chicken, and really squeamish.

interesting, i have found boxers easy to deal with, grapplers much harder. depends on your training. most taiji people have poor intercepting skills and so have trouble with fast strikers. a gentle pull down on the elbows of a boxers gaurd works every time for me, after that its simple.

as for the comment about slow training and time perception, i have had the same thing. slow is fast, fast is slow.

metta

adam

I agree ape, thanks for the correction. Writing is so limited and I was only commenting on one limited aspect. Actually, as far as BJJ is concerned I was only looking at the take down tackle and how tai chi would deal with evading it. I think only the yielding arts are equipped to deal with evading a tackle, obviously, but any good punching art should be able to injure a person in the back when they bend over to tackle you.

One thing cool about tai chi though, is that if you practice it in slow motion it does something to your time perception. It feels like when you are moving at high speed that time has longer duration and when you are super alert it seems like things are slowed down and they are moving in slow motion.

Good for you that you like to mix it up in the ring. I've been thinking of trying a little boxing, with really big gloves =) My teacher said that the only kind of fighter that would concern him would be a boxer but he had a plan to deal with them too.

well said ape

its dangerous stuff!!

metta

adam

Star,

Im a Kung Fu man through and through but let me say that ive played with and trained with some AWESOME BJJ and JUDOKA and they are deadly people. They can have to twisted and snapped like a prietzil (sp)! I know what you are saying and trying to make out about chinese martial arts being the most deadliest but realistically most Kung Fu teachers can hardly fight comparing to the MMA crowd and BJJ fighters as BJJ has also got striking these days.

Ape

most taiji people have poor intercepting skills and so have trouble with fast strikers.

In my applications class we have a 'default' technique which seems to work most of the time. Just hold your hands up prayer fashion (like you're begging them to not punch =) and every punch is automatically intercepted and deflected with virtuallly no movement required. Dang! I just gave away another secret. Who said there were no secrets? There are still tons of secrets.

just check out this guy, he is doing what is training and training what he is doing, keeping it simple:

FEDOR

pBd1UABjanA

lV2CABRQBXA

Dang. I just signed on to delete that info but now it's too late. It's a good idea to practice ways to eliminate threats while making it look like they are doing all the work, for legal reasons. That's what we do quite a bit. It's also why when someone pulls a knife on you then you stab them in the neck with their own knife, while they are holding it, and they cooperate with most of the movement. That way their own fingerprints are on the knife.

Edited by Starjumper7

just check out this guy, he is doing what is training and training what he is doing, keeping it simple:

FEDOR

Thank you for your post sir. I also consider Fedor one of the best fighters in the world and also I would like to point out that he learned fighting through fighting and not through dancing.

Don't know a whole heck of a lot about taiji, but there is a BJJ black belt who has a DVD on combining things like aiki with BJJ. Good stuff.

The internet forum call Bullshido really opened my eyes and its what really got me into Judo. If your into an internal martial art these guys are brutal to you. Fun! :lol:

I would like to point out that he learned fighting through fighting and not through dancing.

Not to be confused with learning dancing through fighting and not through dancing.

Sign in to follow this