how do you, if at all, construe this phrase within the context of your taoist practise?
Darkness... Is it something like this?

muLIPWjks_M

I'm a witch, not a taoist. I embrace darkness, turn away from the light, and actively seek "endarkenment."

witch, funny thing is that you are still doing the same thing that those in search of enlightenment are doing. in a dark room, a candle is bright. in a candle lit room, a torch is bright, a torch lit room, a fire place is bright.

in that same dark room, if the ceiling was ten feet higher, this would be dark. If the walls were further, then this would truely be dark. If the floor was recessed down into the earth, then this is the real darkness.

Whether you walk the path looking forward or looking backward, you are still walking the path of light.

Eh... i suppose you can say then that all those seeking enlightenment are walking the path of bedarkenment ... because once I find a greater truth, all the millions of truths i had acquired til now become dark.

My take on the forces of darkness:

I'm going to start from the perspective that the initial question was framing "darkness" as in the realm of evil or bad. That is what the majority of people would think of when asked to define "forces of darkness" I believe.

The forces of darkness are born in our natural tendency to compae and judge. Our biology and conditioning results in a value system of good and bad which consequently varies with our background. Darkness has always been associated with death and death associated with bad or evil - this is clearly cultural conditioning. When faced with the bad we crave an explanation because then we think we can avoid the bad in the future. This desire for security is a biological drive that is healthy in the physical realm and more often dysfunctional in the psychological realm. So our compulsion to find an explanation for our pain and suffering leads to the creation of the "forces of darkness" which can then be incorporated into our cultural paradigm.

In my view, the forces of darkness are nothing more than a normal component of the 10,000 things if you want to use a Daoist expression. They arise mutually and interdependently with the forces of light. To know good, one must experience evil. Darkness defines light and so forth. Everything else is created by our thoughts, memories, and conditioning.

• Like 1

Good stuff Smile.

See you again next time I am in NYC. I am guessing you will still be above water :)

Forces of Darkness,

Gs37NSLy3z4

I regeret my absence here Cat- thanks for the shout-out - I've been semi-homeless and have limited access to computers these days but all of that is now changing and I'm ensconced in Atlantic City swimming every day in the ocean and doing what I can to address the inequities of this fair city- I'll return the email to me ASAP- sorry my laptop returns to me tomorrow !!! Yay- then I'll be around much more - Love to all- Pat

Darkness is generally considered evil in our society. I would attribute this to the tendency people have to fear the deep aspects of themselves.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself. The darkness refers to an absence usually of light generally external (ex. night). In the absence of sensory stimulation (70% of sensory stimulation is visual) people are forced to turn inwards. This allows people to view the parts of themselves they wish to avoid. The shadow, or the parts of yourself that you reject.

This can be projected outwards into the environment to create hallucinations. Dis something just move in the corner. Do you hear that sound on the staircase

The fears projected are significant because they reflect the inner workings of your psyche.

The fear of the mysterious is not just limited to the realm of night.

Sexuality is associated with darkness. This is especially apparent in deviant sexuality (coming out of the closet anyone?).

Note the response of the more dogmatic groups of christians to witchcraft and paganism.

Notice the stigma surrounding dungeons and dragons. Suicide, Satan worship, and the like.

Dungeons and dragons is just a fantasy game. It allows players to consciously interact with their inner creative energy.

People fear themselves so much that the idea of making conscious contact with the mystery (unconscious mind) is unthinkable. People who do that must be pure evil.

The darkness is just another aspect of the goddess. It has been my experience that the mysterious can be one of the most beautiful experiences available.

you've got to love it. ^_^

• Like 1

It's the darkside of the force. It comes about by cultivating hatred, greed, envy or any other negative emotion. jk. Seeing as how forces of darkness would be the Yin to the Yang or forces of light then sure I guess you could have evil forces out there. :huh:

So we must stay healthy and cautious as to not fall prey to the forces of dark.

We must stay cautious to our Spirits as we may fall prey to the forces of light and dark.

Trippy perspective dude.

There seems to be a tendency in the universe towards greater order and increased meaningful relationship, and a tendency towards the dissolution of order and the breaking of relationship. Consciousness (to my perception at least) brings things into relation, lack of consciousness allows things to dissolve.

Both are natural important processes. Life tends to brings things together into order, to the extend that an ordered life form travels around consuming less ordered matter and bringing it into the preexisting set of relations that is itself. Death is the opposite, and since most creatures strive to stay alive, we naturally reject the dissolution principle.

The sun rises, shining light on the world and bringing order. The sun sets, darkness dissolves the recognizable forms. Thus we call these forces darkness and light, yin and yang.

peace + love

Chris

Usually when we turn on the light we see whatever was scary about the darkness was no big deal and feel a little silly. People are so afraid of the dark that in many places you can hardly see the stars at night any more. I miss the darkness.

Though my soul may set in darkness,

It will rise in perfect light,

I have loved the stars too fondly

To be fearful of the night.

~Sarah Williams

Being fond of stars has a great/deep bell ringing for me too... Feeling soothed and at peace in darkness has been a great boon to me -I love to be in deep forests /jungles at night - it is a bit spooky at first in some very remote places... but the feeling of belonging to the world is very strong when one relaxes into the experience...

The light offered here has made me warm and cozy as a lighting bug riding summer breezes...thanks Yoda it is great to be able to return after a spell of unenlightened sojurns...(seeking employment, a true bum in the Tao)--

Some would say we are living in a sort of "dark age" as the unenlightened lead so many whole nations astray...

BUT- we here have little to fear but fear itself indeed!!!

peace -Pat