Perfect! But you left out a bit: “Grappig toch!” 

Maar het is leuk!
不过很有趣!:D

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Maar het is leuk!
不过很有趣!:D

趣 (dictionary) - interesting. But seems it also means ‘funny’?

’grappig toch’ - Funny, right! 

Edited by Cobie

43 minutes ago, Cobie said:

趣 (dictionary) - interesting. But seems it also means ‘funny’?

’grappig toch’ - Funny, right! 

Yes, it could be just interesting but it doesn't have to be funny.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Yes, it could be just interesting but it doesn't have to be funny.

Yes I noticed Google mistranslates ‘grappig’, it definitely has to be funny. 

Edited by Cobie

3 hours ago, wandelaar said:

... Taoists of the Laoist kind tend to turn away from debates the more they internalize the Laoist world view …

Yes, I think that’s true. And few are interested in looking at the characters as that’s too time consuming. 

Edited by Cobie

3 hours ago, Cobie said:

No, these bums love talking about their experiences. They just don’t like those musings interfered with by facts. My interest is (was :P) translating the DDJ from characters; that’s just factual.  

Do you really contend that translation is not interpretational or subjective at all?

Insofar as the OP inquiry... what should we do about it?  that initiated a good chuckle, Tak!

wei wu wei mate. 

As for the lack of responses to direct queries?  tao spoken is not Tao is my suspicion to the lack of responses... or perhaps it's the tone of query?

For all that I seldom speak directly of tao, not one of my offerings or responses has ever been without its influence i can safely claim.

peace

• Like 1

Is this forum still about Taoism...?

it never was. it was always new-age masquerading as 'taoism', a post-modern simulacrum, a fad (with the exception of my posts and a couple of transient chinese people's)

8 hours ago, wandelaar said:

And should we do something about it?

no, good riddance to the fad

7 hours ago, wandelaar said:

and learn about Taoism

again that was never an option. not only because the others do not know what taoism (or buddhism) is but also because you (or them)  would not accept the truth about what those teachings really are. of course you are always welcome to ask me;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

it never was. it was always new-age masquerading as 'taoism', a post-modern simulacrum, a fad (with the exception of my posts and a couple of transient chinese people's)

no, good riddance to the fad

again that was never an option. not only because the others do not know what taoism (or buddhism) is but also because you (or them)  would not accept the truth about what those teachings really are. of course you are always welcome to ask me;)

But .... but ...

surely there are some things here of value  ??? 

https://www.thedaobums.com/forum/425-taoist-texts/

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. Apparently the drift away from Taoist subjects is not seen as something problematic by most Bums. And thus there is no hope for a return to Taoist topics as the main focus of The Dao Bums anytime soon. - Good to know.

2 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Thanks for all the responses. Apparently the drift away from Taoist subjects is not seen as something problematic by most Bums. And thus there is no hope for a return to Taoist topics as the main focus of The Dao Bums anytime soon. - Good to know.

Welcome to TheBuddhaBums.

• Haha 2

I suppose not many people here or elsewhere out of China are interested in Taoist and Buddhist religions, the gods, the ceremonies are foreign.    And even the Chinese themselves are not acquaint with many of the gods.   To follow a religion, people need a rapport, history and culture.

So what is left is philosophy/theory for Buddhists and methods/techniques for Taoists.  The Buddhist teachings are very complicated and complex once left the superficial for the mass.   Naturally there are needs and rooms for discussions.   Taoist teachings are simplistic.  But the cultivating methodologies are very deep, from Qigong to Neidan to TCM or Fengshui etc.    But where everyone is doing something different, discussion would be difficult.

And if a person really follows Taoist ideas, he should not initiate a discussion, while responding is acceptable.   It further restricts the number of discussions.

• Like 4

@Master Logray

Correct. I don't like religious Taoism either, but there's also philosophical Taoism. There used to be discussions here on the Taoist Classics, and reviews of recent books on Taoism. And textual studies. But hardly anything of that is left now. And when nowadays somebody tries a new topic of that sort it quickly dies for lack of responses.

Something similar happened at the end of Original Dao. There were not enough new members joining to keep the discussions going, so after a while people felt like everything they wanted to say regarding Taoism had already been said.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nungali said:

surely there are some things here of value  ??

may be some value for the chosen ones;) those were written to save the gullible from the neidan-peddlers during the Great Neidan War of 2017 (? i dont remember exactly), since then the peddlers moved on to push used cars, ionizers and penny stocks, taking with them the value of my notes. Did you notice that thankfully we never see any neidan posts for quite a long time? The neidan fad is dead which is wonderful. Yippeei!  On the other hand it was so hilariously farcical...hehe;)

The simulacra is real..

The world continues in endless cycles, within endless cycles, and all we do, become or pursue, is merely another cog that keeps running the cycle.

There is nothing new under the sun, and that was established several millenia back.

There was a time on TDB, when topics of Daoist philosophy was active, same with religious daoism, daoist health, energy ideas, and those will recycle naturally, like everything else.

When the time arrives where the cycles end, what have we then ?

My own personal interests in Dao type stuff, began by my seeking to improve my health. And that worked out really well, then my focus shifted to the energetics aspects, mainly from Internal Martial Arts, and that worked out really well, fascinating stuff.

Then, I was introduced to Spiritual Daoism, and that's where I continue to be.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

But .... but ...

surely there are some things here of value  ??? 

https://www.thedaobums.com/forum/425-taoist-texts/

I think there is. If one sifts through the inactive threads, there are nuggets of value, some of great value, imo, to be found. Not to say that nuggets are not still being added, regardless, much sifting to find the rare nugget,

Unless, one is fortunate to stumble onto one here or there.

• Like 2

There were a few people who "developed" grounding, walking on grass... in recent weeks.   These are Taoist "innovations" too.

• Like 1

I would love to see more discussion of Daoist gods, magic, ritual, etc. from a practical, historical, or comparative perspective, but that doesn't seem to interest many people here. "Philosophical Daoism" is a fake construct and I find qigong boring. 

• Like 1

"Philosophical Daoism" is a fake construct

Nonsense! What is a fake construct however is the fashionable claim that philosophical Taoism would be a fake construct. Better read the classics (as I did) and form your own opinion about it instead of parroting postmodern bullshit. There are mystical and magical elements in the classics, but the whole convoluted puppet show of Taoist gods, magic, ritual, etc. is clearly a later addition. Nice for people who like that kind if stuff. And I'm not saying that religious Taoism isn't Taoism. But it's absurd for adherents of religious Taoism to now disqualify the original kind of Taoism as found in classics as not being the real thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OK - for those who might be interested: the Taoist classics I was referring to are the Tao Te Ching, the Chuang tzu and the Lieh tzu. That's how it started. Later on religious Taoism increasingly diverged from the classics, but philosophical Taoism kept close to the classics. This distinction into two forms of Taoism was already made by the Chinese long ago.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wandelaar said:

This distinction into two forms of Taoism was already made by the Chinese long ago.

Where? What are the classical Chinese terms for "religion" versus "philosophy"? 

Edited by SirPalomides

The expressions for the two forms of Taoism are in the Kroll Dictionary. Cobie probably knows where to find it.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

The expressions for the two forms of Taoism are in the Kroll Dictionary. Cobie probably knows where to find it.

道家 & 道教

• Like 1