wandelaar

Is this forum still about Taoism...?

I hardly see any discussion about Taoism anymore. How come? And should we do something about it? Or would it be better to just accept things as they are?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

it's up to the bums how to post and with what, as long as were reasonably nice to each other.

erhm, what was it...ah yes, there we have it

Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

so when you post something about a Taoist topic you can hope others chime in, I might, although I am fond of several Buddhists both here and in person, buddhism gives me the pip.

But don't count on me, I am an unreliable visitor 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

I hardly see any discussion about Taoism anymore. How come? And should we do something about it? Or would it be better to just accept things as they are?

Do something about it?  What do you suggest?  Perhaps everyone could hand over their credit card information so that the mods could fine them a $1 "vice tax" for every use of the word Abrahamic.  At the end of the year the Bum who has gone the longest without mentioning any of the following --  semen retention, mopai, Trump -- gets the money.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 5

Question: “Is Buddhism incomplete?”. My answer: I could not care less. :rolleyes:
Same goes for the Abrahamic stuff, not interested; that’s not what I joined this forum for. 

When I post anything Daoist, there usually is no response. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

@liminal_luke What do I suggest? I'm just curious if any interest at all in Taoist subjects still remains. One cannot and should not force the members here to care about Taoism. But if things really stand as it looks right now, than I have to conclude that The Dao Bums is no longer a place where you can discuss and learn about Taoism. Of course one can still try to start or join a topic about Taoism, but if (almost) nobody responds than nothing fruitful results.

Dus helaas pindakaas...? :P

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cobie said:

When I post anything Daoist, there usually is no response.

Yes - same here.

Tja …

image.jpeg.9aad37cf63025f62be86e72d8ff2d861.jpeg

1 hour ago, blue eyed snake said:

… I might …

Het ‘3-Nederlanders’ subforum. :D 

Edited by Cobie

34 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

… The Dao Bums is no longer a place where you can discuss and learn about Taoism …

Agreed. E.g. In a thread about a certain phrase in the DDJ, I posted that this phrase is actually not present in the oldest versions of the DDJ. For that I got called a ‘troll’. :blink: Very odd that, I thought. So didn’t post about Daoism again in threads with these bums.

There are some interesting old threads. That’s about it. :(

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keith108 said:

I did offer a perspective. I was basically called a dogma spewing fundamentalist.

Lol, that made me laugh, because that’s exactly what one of the above mentioned bums called me. :lol: Some really dislike facts, it interferes with their esoteric musings. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

I suspect discussions about Taoism suffer the same problem as Zen discussion. Talking about things that need to be experienced (e.g. mystic paths) make for poor forum fodder. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keith108 said:

I suspect discussions about Taoism suffer the same problem as Zen discussion. Talking about things that need to be experienced (e.g. mystic paths) make for poor forum fodder. 

No, these bums love talking about their experiences. They just don’t like those musings interfered with by facts. My interest is (was :P) translating the DDJ from characters; that’s just factual.  

1 minute ago, Cobie said:

No, these bums love talking about their experiences. They just don’t like those musings interfered with by facts. My interest is (was :P) translating the DDJ from characters; that’s just factual.  

Ah, interesting. That's a bit of taboo in Zen. I have enjoyed, and learned some things, going over some of the old threads. 

• Like 1

@CobieA lot of philosophical Taoists did leave in the great schism.

@Keith108 Haha! I was typing something similar as I saw your comment. It might be a problem that Taoists of the Laoist kind tend to turn away from debates the more they internalize the Laoist world view. But then again one would still expect younger people to join this forum and take over the debating part. But when they see that there is hardly any discussion about Taoism going on here, they won't stay for long.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

@CobieA lot of philosophical Taoists did leave in the great schism.

@Keith108 Haha! I was typing something similar as I saw your comment. It might be a problem that Taoists of the Laoist kind tend to turn away from debates the more they internalize the Laoist world view. But then again one would still expect younger people to join this forum and take over the debating part. But when they see that there is hardly any discussion about Taoism going on here, they won't stay for long.

The Zen section at Dharmawheel is a ghost town. Vajra and sutra adherents are very active. Sound like the same situation. :)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Keith108 said:

… That's a bit of taboo in Zen. …

Sorry, don’t understand, what is the taboo in Zen?

_/|\_

What does this icon mean?

3 minutes ago, Keith108 said:

The Zen section at Dharmawheel is a ghost town. Vajra and sutra adherents are very active. Sound like the same situation. :)

Yes. Hmm ... Interesting. 

Edited by Cobie

2 minutes ago, Cobie said:

Sorry, don’t understand, what is the taboo in Zen?

Talking about experiences that come up in meditation. Openings, etc. 

What does this icon mean?

In Korean, it's called hapchang. Two hands together, like when bowing. 

Edited by Keith108
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Keith108 said:

[taboo in Zen] Talking about experiences that come up in meditation. Openings, etc. 

Interesting. Why is that?

What is “openings”?

In Korean, it's called hapchang. Two hands together, like when bowing. 
In Chinese, it is 合掌 putting the palms together.
The Buddhist called it
合十 is because the ten fingers are putting together.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wandelaar said:

would it be better to just accept things as they are?

I only respond to a thread that if it is relevant to OP.

2 hours ago, Cobie said:

Tja …

image.jpeg.9aad37cf63025f62be86e72d8ff2d861.jpeg

Het ‘3-Nederlanders’ subforum. :D 

19 minutes ago, Cobie said:

heb je het etiket gelezen op mijn pindakaas pot?

你看过我花生酱罐上的标签了吗?

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

Do something about it?  What do you suggest?  Perhaps everyone could hand over their credit card information so that the mods could fine them a $1 "vice tax" for every use of the word Abrahamic.  At the end of the year the Bum who has gone the longest without mentioning any of the following --  semen retention, mopai, Trump -- gets the money.  

I am going for that money ! 

I am going to write a dissertation about  Trumps use of mopai for semen retention  ..... all explained graphically , on line here ,   with an AI voice generator  copying his accent .

I wanted to illustrate this post  so I googled 'Trump semen retention'  for an image  . It showed

Spoiler

' Google 'safe search ' has blocked images '

:D 

- now, dont YOU guys go looking at that !

I will not be held responsible for   any associated trauma

71LLHz6x37L.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=09de691691d805c7a355f852f4cdc88819734c768755bce78af37ccd7470b2a0&ipo=images

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

你看过我花生酱罐上的标签了吗?

Perfect! But you left out a bit: “Grappig toch!” 

Edited by Cobie